2023 - Mika @ Bristol Sounds Festival, UK, 21 June

Kumazzz

Another test. This time with a silk paper.

Don't pay attention to the colours. It's just a random paper I found at home.

But the result is fantastic! A real rose!!!

I had a paper 50 cm large (50cm X 25 cm) so the rose is smaller than the flowers made of crepe paper. But it looks so well.

So I have now 3 different flowers DIY .

The precut versions don't take too much space in the luggage. I will make as much as I can. The finition will be done before the concert.

Anybody is ready to help???

IMG_20230612_120534883.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Another test. This time with a silk paper.

Don't pay attention to the colours. It's just a random paper I found at home.

But the result is fantastic! A real rose!!!

I had a paper 50 cm large (50cm X 25 cm) so the rose is smaller than the flowers made of crepe paper. But it looks so well.

So I have now 3 different flowers DIY .

The precut versions don't take too much space in the luggage. I will make as much as I can. The finition will be done before the concert.

Anybody is ready to help???

IMG_20230612_120534883.jpg

I love the big ones! I'll see what I can bring in my cabin luggage. Definitely no scissors. 🙈 How much crepe paper do you need for one big flower?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dcdeb said:

As far as how many, I'd say 15-20 sounds about right, based on feedback we've had here. Only 14 have RSVPed on the calendar, but I guess that some of those won't be there the night before, as they live locally. I've tweeted about it, but I have 13 names that I think are pretty sure so far. Who am I missing?

Deb
Andrea
Karin

Rose
Chiara

Deb (frenchfan84)
Prisca
Fanny
Mara
Nina

Ani

Camille

Anna

I agree with Karin about the time - I think 7pm for dinner sounds about right. If anyone is around they can always drop in to the restaurant early to have a drink, right?

As far as where, I think if you start calling 1-2 places to find availability, the "where" will sort of be decided for you. My vote goes for the Stable pizza place as it seems big enough, has a good menu, seems to be near the water, and PIZZA. But as I said before I'm flexible, so wherever we end up will be fine with me. Thanks!

Will be so good to see you again, Deb! I will happily join any dinner or meeting. Not sure I can eat anything at the pizza place but will be nice to meet everyone. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mellody said:

I love the big ones! I'll see what I can bring in my cabin luggage. Definitely no scissors. 🙈 How much crepe paper do you need for one big flower?

I think we can take small children scissors. I will buy ones. They are cheap so even if they don't let me take them to the plane I will leave them at the airport 😜

For one flower you need one roll of the main colour plus half of another colour (cut the roll in half).So it takes 3 rolls for 2 flowers.

I think about the LGBTQ colors flower. But I have to test it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I think we can take small children scissors. I will buy ones. They are cheap so even if they don't let me take them to the plane I will leave them at the airport 😜

For one flower you need one roll of the main colour plus half of another colour (cut the roll in half).So it takes 3 rolls for 2 flowers.

I think about the LGBTQ colors flower. But I have to test it. 

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Nail clippers/scissors are allowed in cabin luggage. Scissors with a blade that is shorter than 4 inches/10cm to the pivot point, are generally allowed I believe. I have traveled with nail scissors multiple times in the last year alone and it was fortunately never a problem. 

• Like 5

GOOD NEWS - dinner is booked. :yay:

We are booked for a max of 20 people, but they know it might be a few less. 

The Bristol Stable

Canon's Road, Bristol BS1 5UH

Tuesday 20 June, 7pm. 

They confirmed that gluten free is no problem, all their pizzas can be made gf. 

ACTION NEEDED

They need a pre-order submitting at least 48 hours in advance. Here is the menu they have sent us. Please can you let me know what you would like to eat, and I'll confirm back to them on Saturday. Thanks!

TheStable_Food-Menu_Bristol_230612_154956.pdf

EEK ITS NEXT WEEK!!! WOOHOO!!!! :lustslow::excite:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

List of attendees so far. I'll update it to show food orders received. 

1 Deb (dcdeb) - Margherita pizza, red onion, black olives (not green). Cheesecake.

2 Andrea - Margherita pizza, tenderstem broccoli, pineapple. Cheesecake. 
3 Karin (mellody) - Margherita pizza. Cheesecake. 

4 Prisca (prisca) - Slice of Bristol, non-gluten base.

5 Chiara (chiara 83) - Goats cheese and roasted squash salad. Dairy free vanilla ice cream. 

6 Fanny - Margherita pizza.

7 Camille (camille*) - Margherita pizza.

8 Mara (marab) - Pesto La Pizza. Cheesecake. 
9 Romy - Pesto La Pizza.

10 Sarinaa - Mushroom Magic pizza. 
11Rose (rak1) - Margherita pizza. 

12 Nina (tiibet) - gluten free Margherita pizza. Gluten free dessert if possible. 

13 Deb (frenchfan84) - Margherita pizza. Cheesecake. 
14 Lorlore - Margherita pizza. Cheesecake. 

15 Emily (Emily2b) - Margherita pizza. 

16 Ani (anilado) -?

Edited by Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I went to check out the venue today before my exam, it's actually a lot smaller than it looks online! If any of you are driving, there's a carpark opposite called Millennium Square but if that's super busy then there's a great carpark about 8 minutes away called Trenchard Street (however, make sure to park on the lower levels as the steps in Bristol are killer). The venue itself is located in a really nice spot near the museum, it's pretty much restaurant central and in a safe area. I shall attach the photos I took, unfortunately they were clearing some marquees so the photos aren't great. For VIP tickets, I believe they set up some barriers at the front so you have a separate area. My name's Elizabeth by the way (Goose is my dog).

20230612_103857.jpg

20230612_103317.jpg

20230612_103803.jpg

20230612_103511.jpg

IMG_20230612_174348_349.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero said:

The Bristol Stable

Tuesday 20 June, 7pm. 

ACTION NEEDED

They need a pre-order submitting at least 48 hours in advance. Here is the menu they have sent us. Please can you let me know what you would like to eat, and I'll confirm back to them on Saturday. Thanks!

TheStable_Food-Menu_Bristol_230612_154956.pdf 297.79 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks so much, Andrea! I appreciate you taking the time! It sounds perfect.

They don't require a deposit, do they?

I'll have a Proper Margherita pizza with red onion and olives (if they're black, if they're green no).

@tiibet- have a look at the menu, they not only do gluten-free dough, they have lots of veggie options that sound good, and sound like they'd be willing to work with you.

Can't wait to see everyone!

And @Anna Ko Kolkowska the flowers look great. I'll see what paper I have here. Do you think tissue paper will work, or does it need to be stretchy like crepe paper?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, goose said:

Hi, I went to check out the venue today before my exam, it's actually a lot smaller than it looks online! If any of you are driving, there's a carpark opposite called Millennium Square but if that's super busy then there's a great carpark about 8 minutes away called Trenchard Street (however, make sure to park on the lower levels as the steps in Bristol are killer). The venue itself is located in a really nice spot near the museum, it's pretty much restaurant central and in a safe area. I shall attach the photos I took, unfortunately they were clearing some marquees so the photos aren't great. For VIP tickets, I believe they set up some barriers at the front so you have a separate area. My name's Elizabeth by the way (Goose is my dog).

20230612_103857.jpg

20230612_103317.jpg

20230612_103803.jpg

20230612_103511.jpg

IMG_20230612_174348_349.jpg

Thank so much @goose! This is super helpful, and makes me feel less nervous about the size of the place!

Can't wait to meet you and everyone else ! I'll be leaving for London a week from today!

:excite:

• Like 4

On 6/12/2023 at 6:57 PM, dcdeb said:

And @Anna Ko Kolkowska the flowers look great. I'll see what paper I have here. Do you think tissue paper will work, or does it need to be stretchy like crepe paper?

I think I call a silk paper what you call tissue paper. So it's ok. But it should be at least 50 cm (20") large (the shorter side). I found one of 70 cm(27,5") large. Because it will make the size of the flower. Tissue paper is better to give more volume.

Crepe paper is better for even bigger flowers - as those two red on the photos I posted. It gives more rigidity to petals. So it's not really about extensibility.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

They don't require a deposit, do they?

Thanks Deb! No, no deposit needed. They took my card details to confirm the booking, but it'll only be charged if we don't show up on the day. 

Oh, there was one thing! The booking confirmation states 7pm-9.30pm. Would you like me to see if they can extend it? I don’t think it would be a problem, they said there's only one other booking in at the moment, and that's a separate buffet away from the main restaurant, so it's just us and walk-ins. Or do we leave it and continue the party in a nearby bar after eating? :yay:

No pudding? :biggrin2:

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 4:48 PM, dcdeb said:

Well, I've just bought my plane tickets, and I've got my festival ticket sorted, so I guess it's official! I will see you all in Bristol! Who else will be there? I only see 8 others on our RSVP list, surely there will be more than that?

Anyhow, can't wait! I thought I might go Mika-less this year, so this is going to be a nice treat!

Wow! It’ll be amazing to see you there Deb! If only I get a day off work. For now I have my coach tickets booked, waiting for confirmation from work and if I get time off, I’ll see you there😁❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I made 4 multicolour flowers from silk/ tissue paper. And it will take this space in my luggage.

IMG_20230612_191415544.jpg

I will make some more from crepe paper.

As I arrive late I will not have much time for making them in the queue 😜

If I’m there, I’ll be more than happy to help you with assembling😁🌸 Or should we start on the National Express coach?😂🙈

• Haha 1

So, it looks like I may be coming to Bristol (subject to a day off work which is not easy in aviation in the summer🙄)🤩

Is anyone going back to London the same night on the 00:55 National Express coach? I have booked a ticket for it already before they sell out😉

4 hours ago, Hero said:

The Bristol Stable

Tuesday 20 June, 7pm. 

ACTION NEEDED

TheStable_Food-Menu_Bristol_230612_154956.pdf 297.79 kB · 13 downloads

Pizza Margherita for me, please. :) Do they also need to know about the dessert in advance? I'd say whether I'll have one depends on how long we'll stay and how big the pizza is. :lol3:

2 hours ago, goose said:

Thanks! Hmm, I somehow thought that the VIP area would be on the side, not at the front... not sure if I read that somewhere or if I just assumed it, because that's how it usually is at festivals.

Do any of you have VIP tickets?

10 minutes ago, mellody said:

Pizza Margherita for me, please. :) Do they also need to know about the dessert in advance? I'd say whether I'll have one depends on how long we'll stay and how big the pizza is. :lol3:

Thanks! Hmm, I somehow thought that the VIP area would be on the side, not at the front... not sure if I read that somewhere or if I just assumed it, because that's how it usually is at festivals.

No, I have a normal ticket. I thought VIP tickets were close to the stage but on the two sides. Not in the front. But each venue is different from the others, so who knows🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mellody said:

I was wondering about the VIP ticket. But while checking some older photos I thought that the VIP zone will be in the "back" over the audience as on this photo. But maybe I am wrong. It's standing and the only additional thing is a separate entrance and some drinks.

image.thumb.png.0343d87aed74dd4f285a88946d0a95cc.png

On this photo I don't see any special places on the sides. Only a roof in the back area.

image.thumb.png.f4a4c39d06eb0c7c1e66cf03dfcd7d25.png

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I was wondering about the VIP ticket. But while checking some older photos I thought that the VIP zone will be in the "back" over the audience as on this photo. But maybe I am wrong. It's standing and the only additional thing is a separate entrance and some drinks.

image.thumb.png.0343d87aed74dd4f285a88946d0a95cc.png

On this photo I don't see any special places on the sides. Only a roof in the back area.

image.thumb.png.f4a4c39d06eb0c7c1e66cf03dfcd7d25.png

Thank you Anna

I also found this on the Website 

Screenshot_20230612-221520_Chrome.thumb.jpg.55f38d40a1ec3bdd3f343ea5fdad1aa0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Not sure if they need desserts too, I can check tomorrow. 

• Thanks 2