C'est La Vie - Song and Lyrics Discussion

2 hours ago, Vero Bott said:

Oh how I wish my French were ever as "imperfect" as Mika's! Son francais est parfait, il est parfait. Full stop. :lmfao:

Random: my first thought with the word “parfait” is still icecream.

Wait.

I am having a full circle moment :lol3: This is so… “parfait”!!! 

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Random: my first thought with the word “parfait” is still icecream.

Wait.

I am having a full circle moment :lol3: This is so… “parfait”!!! 

Hmmm, I'm afraid I need a hint...like, Ice Cream is "parfait" without any doubt, but I guess I'm missing something here :blink::lol3:

InShot_20231008_194638519.gif

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Vero Bott said:

Hmmm, I'm afraid I need a hint...like, Ice Cream is "parfait" without any doubt, but I guess I'm missing something here :blink::lol3:

InShot_20231008_194638519.gif

Hahaha I love that gif :lol3:

Parfait means both “perfect” and “icecream”: it refers to a frozen dessert made from a base of sugar syrup, egg, and cream. 

And we all know the song “Icecream”! And here receiving French lessons on the forum made me realize how I always think of food first and not grammar :aah:

Full circle moment!

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Hahaha I love that gif :lol3:

Parfait means both “perfect” and “icecream”: it refers to a frozen dessert made from a base of sugar syrup, egg, and cream. 

And we all know the song “Icecream”! And here receiving French lessons on the forum made me realize how I always think of food first and not grammar :aah:

Full circle moment!

Wow, had no idea! And I found out it's used also in Czech (as "parfet" 😄). 

Useful knowledge gained, everything makes sense now, tout est parfait! 😄🍦 Thank you!

And yeah, I just had to create this GIF, it seemed so fitting for my clueless brain 😁❤️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CharlotteL said:

I don't get it. It's just a second version of the lyrics video isn't it?!

The lyrics are better to read, and appear in the right time to sing them. So I agree with Michelle, singalong video describes it best.

Isn't it sweet of Mika to try and teach us all the lyrics, so also international fans can manage to sing along to his French songs at his gigs?  :wub2: :biggrin2: We'll have to start practising in time for next year's tour. :teehee:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mellody said:

The lyrics are better to read, and appear in the right time to sing them. So I agree with Michelle, singalong video describes it best.

Isn't it sweet of Mika to try and teach us all the lyrics, so also international fans can manage to sing along to his French songs at his gigs?  :wub2: :biggrin2: We'll have to start practising in time for next year's tour. :teehee:

I agree - and actually, for all of us (or maybe just me 😀), who struggle with the French lyrics, it's even better to hear them pronounced by Mika at the same time while desperately trying to keep up 🤭

• Like 4

Mhm ok I I personally don't find that more useful than just reading the lyrics while I'm listening to the song, but if you all do that's fair enough!

What bothers me is that it's called a "karaoke version" instead of a singalong because it just isn't. But people are pointing that out in the comments anyway.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Mhm ok I I personally don't find that more useful than just reading the lyrics while I'm listening to the song, but if you all do that's fair enough!

What bothers me is that it's called a "karaoke version" instead of a singalong because it just isn't. But people are pointing that out in the comments anyway.

Exactly. For me it's not karaoke.

Usually when I sing a song in a karaoke version I prefer to open a regular lyrics page in the Internet instead of waiting to see the words on the screen with music. But of course it depends how exact the lyrics display is. I prefer to see them in advance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I thiught the same :wub2: Mika wants all his fans to sing along with him during his gigs :mikalove:

• Like 4

He's taking his current coaching duties very seriously if he's now extending it to the fans. :lmfao:

I think it's sweet, he knows not all of his fans speak French so it's his way of helping us. :wub2: And now we really have no excuse! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sarinaa said:

Guys, am I tripping? :confused: What is the "C‘est La Vietta" version? Because it is, in fact, NOT on YouTube? Or is this related to the ominous karaoke version (that honestly is just the lyric video all over again…)? :blink:

8c904ef6-a5b9-4c42-951e-e3d79883713e.jpeg

For a second I thought of this:

IMG_8988.thumb.jpeg.e0a40dfaf6d67cd20f46fb82310f67d8.jpeg

(Honestly how does everything refer to LITERAL Icecream in my head?!)

:lol3:

But honestly I think it’s a bad autocorrect moment? :biggrin2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, sarinaa said:

Guys, am I tripping? :confused: What is the "C‘est La Vietta" version? Because it is, in fact, NOT on YouTube? Or is this related to the ominous karaoke version (that honestly is just the lyric video all over again…)? :blink:

8c904ef6-a5b9-4c42-951e-e3d79883713e.jpeg

6 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

But honestly I think it’s a bad autocorrect moment? :biggrin2:

Yes, I think that's what it was. :naughty: They've corrected it now.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hero said:

He's taking his current coaching duties very seriously if he's now extending it to the fans. :lmfao:

I think it's sweet, he knows not all of his fans speak French so it's his way of helping us. :wub2: And now we really have no excuse! 

Well yes, he has to, because if the fans don't know the lyrics, who will help him when he forgets them at the concert?  :nervous:

• Haha 9

17 hours ago, Hero said:

think it's sweet, he knows not all of his fans speak French so it's his way of helping us. :wub2: And now we really have no excuse! 

It is also in his interest if some fans in non-French-speaking places also know the lyrics. Then it is easier to sing the song there (and not only to have helpers to help him when he forgets the lyrics :lol3:).

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 1:47 AM, mellody said:

The dictionary tells me that "placard" could also mean "prison" - do you think that's what he refers to here, the words of his Mum that he could end up in prison?

Since no one has addressed it yet, this is what I think about it:

C’est quoi ces fleurs et son amour (the flowers on the coffin)

Mes frères et sœurs et leurs cœurs lourds (how his siblings feel in front of the coffin during the funeral)

Placard fermé à double tour (I think Mika is talking about the coffin)

But that was the first that came to my mind and it can be totally wrong and he really means a closet because "placard" doesn't seem to be a common word for coffin.

But there is also the expression in English: to have a skeleton in the closet, which seems to be used in a similar colloquial context in French as: "Avoir un cadavre, un squelette dans le placard" (source: Le Petit Robert). Of course that means something completely different, but there is also a corpse and a "placard" .

13 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Mes frères et sœurs et leurs cœurs lourds (how his siblings feel in front of the coffin during the funeral)

But that was the first that came to my mind and it can be totally wrong and he really means a closet because "placard" doesn't seem to be a common word for coffin.

But there is also the expression in English: to have a skeleton in the closet, which seems to be used in a similar colloquial context in French as: "Avoir un cadavre, un squelette dans le placard" (source: Le Petit Robert). Of course that means something completely different, but there is also a corpse and a "placard" .

In the lyrics video it's also translated with "closet", not with "prison" - so although it could have a double meaning, you're right that the situation probably describes the funeral and it rather refers to the coffin. The flowers and the sad siblings made me think of this situation as well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Chills down my spine. This is entirely possible! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1