C'est La Vie - Song and Lyrics Discussion

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

then you hear the whole texte and it punches you straight between the eyes.

It hits hard, I have no other words. I can understand if it took him some years to 'work' on this song before he could share it.

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I got more emotional watching the video rather than just listening to the song on its own.

Me too. The contrast between the song and the crowd is huge. How he is alone in a crowd of happy people. But at the same time it's comforting te be reminded that he is not alone. Everyone in the crowd has their own story and pain about loss that we don't know anything about. The video provokes empathy

as it reminds us of the fact that life is hard for us all at times.:group_hug:

• Like 9

I love the song (and the video) soo much!

If I would have to describe the song in one adjective, I would go for "tender", that's how the song speaks to me, it's a beautiful mixture of highly emotional lyrics and upbeat, yet delicate music 🥺 ❤️

• Like 7

I moved the BFMTV article to the French press thread, as it's an interview that's also about the album... but quoting this part here, which is about the lyrics of C'est la vie:

6 minutes ago, mellody said:

Cette chanson en français, un titre ultra dansant, aux sons très pop évoque sur un ton léger des sujets graves.

"Ça parle de beaucoup de choses qui sont très tristes, et on n'en a pas du tout l'impression", livre le chanteur au micro de BFMTV.

"C'est vraiment le bilan de tout ce qui ne va pas. Tout ce qui est triste, tout ce qui peut être frustrant, dans ma vie, dans la vie des autres. Ca parle même de mon âge, ça parle de la mort, de tout. Et après, ça fait cette sorte de grand écart, où ça cherche à pardonner et fêter la vie, à métaboliser la vie. parce que quand on la métabolise, c'est là où peut-être on peut s'en sortir."

Google translate :uk:

This song in French, an ultra danceable title, with very pop sounds, evokes serious subjects in a light tone.

"It talks about a lot of things that are very sad, and we don't have the impression at all", delivers the singer at the microphone of BFMTV.

"It's really the balance sheet of everything that's wrong. Everything that's sad, everything that can be frustrating, in my life, in the lives of others. It's even about my age, it's about death , of everything. And afterwards, it creates this kind of big gap, where it seeks to forgive and celebrate life, to metabolize life. because when you metabolize it, that's where perhaps you can get away to go out." 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mellody said:

I moved the BFMTV article to the French press thread, as it's an interview that's also about the album... but quoting this part here, which is about the lyrics of C'est la vie:

Google translate :uk:

This song in French, an ultra danceable title, with very pop sounds, evokes serious subjects in a light tone.

"It talks about a lot of things that are very sad, and we don't have the impression at all", delivers the singer at the microphone of BFMTV.

"It's really the balance sheet of everything that's wrong. Everything that's sad, everything that can be frustrating, in my life, in the lives of others. It's even about my age, it's about death , of everything. And afterwards, it creates this kind of big gap, where it seeks to forgive and celebrate life, to metabolize life. because when you metabolize it, that's where perhaps you can get away to go out." 

@mellody I really like the song... I noticed in a certain sense a clear reference of Mika to his mother.. I like it a lot because I'm sure that Mika always feels his mother close to him; that's why he means that this song is happy but sad at the same time. proud to be a fan Mika 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, krysady said:

The lyrics from the YT video:

Official “C’est la Vie” lyrics

C’est quoi le beau

C’est quoi le laid

C’est quoi le faux

C’est quoi le vrai

Qu’est-ce que tout ça vient faire ici

C’est quoi ?

C’est quoi la mort

Les vies d’avant

C’est quoi la pluie

Quoi le beau temps

C’est quoi c’qui arrive droit devant

C’est quoi ?

C’est quoi ces rides

Sur mon visage

Pourquoi elles viennent

Cafter mon âge

Même si vieillir est un naufrage

C’est quoi ces fleurs et son amour

Mes frères et sœurs et leurs cœurs lourds

Placard fermé à double tour

Parce que c’est ça la vie

Parce que c’est ça

C’est la vie

Toutes ses couleurs et ses parfums

Ses roses damas et son jasmin

C’est comme son Liban qui s’efface

On croyait qu’elle voyait trop grand

Qu’elle dessinait comme un enfant

Pourtant c’est elle qui voyait loin

Si c’est ça la vie

Si c’est ça l’amour

Que ta tête fleurisse

Fleurisse toujours

Si c’est ça la vie

Si c’est ça la mort

Que ta tête fleurisse

Fleurisse encore

Parce que c’est ça

C’est la vie

Alors la vie regarde-moi !

Car je n’aurai plus peur de toi

Avec des fleurs même en silence

Elle me le dit

Elle me dit danse !

Parce que c’est ça

C’est la vie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero said:

Noo. Retro vintage. :wink2:

Well eventually he will come back to his first logo... I like it a lot better...or else maybe I could get my tatoo updated with a few drops of water around it, as I love swimming...but I sure will wait...time will tell :wink2:

At least I managed to show it to him in August :wub2:

• Like 1

What an extraordinary tribute to someone who sounds like she was an extraordinary person. It so captures what she taught to him….and now to all of us.

Edited to add: what I see is totally about his mom and the philosophical and emotional result of her loss. From his looking at the meaning of the aging process and his questioning, to her struggles and losses (Beirut) to the things she taught him and created for him and saw about his future, to the pain and emptiness his siblings share, to questioning everything because when you are grieving your own fading or the loss of a beloved what’s the point, to: but in the light of all of this, my mother said we must still live, and celebrate life, with an exclamation point! And so that is what he is doing. Thus it is a tribute to her life, their loss, and the message she left…. Her legacy. The video enhances that message, tho there is irony in the fact that the dancing crowd does not understand the lyrics or the song (yet?) and is just there for a Mika party….and he is doing the best he can, as she inspired him to do. Yet, as someone pointed out, alone in the crowd. Those who “know” him can see what is behind his eyes. I don’t think the fans who are there are able or willing to in that moment. Or he doesn’t want to let them.

I love the melody. I am captivated and deeply moved by the brilliant lyrics. And the entire gestalt of the video—lyrics in contrast to melody (as usual!), upbeat dance (dance! Dance! Dance!) beat, venue, party atmosphere, and, above it all (literally and figuratively), Mika, smiling and entertaining his fans, rips my guts out. This may well be not what the song wants me to do, but my own feelings of compassion and affection for him make me cry. Which he does to me a lot, but this was different. I cried for him.

Edited by QueenBigFat
More time to think
  • Like 11

I wanted to write something on this song, but you already perfectly made it. It's really a song who gives mixed feelings. That's really a "dancing with tears in the eyes" vibe. 

I really love this song. 

• Like 5

Being able to read the lyrics in English really helps me to understand the gravity of this insanely catchy song. 
We always said that his mother was probably really proud of her boy. Having been backstage two times, having seen how much she was involved in every single thing Mika did.. It really hit us when we heard the news about her. 

knowing this, and remembering seeing Mika peeking through the curtains in Düsseldorf 2010 to see how people would react to Kick Ass, with that very insecure, yet scared and giddy posture, I can only imagine how scared he mustve been to sing C’est la Vie live in that massive crowd for the first time. But this time his mother isn’t there to watch him from the sideline to cheer him on. Plus he sings about her.. It’s heartbreaking, but so beautiful at the same time.  As I said in my message for his birthday, it’s been a hell of a ride so far and I couldn’t be more proud.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

My French is too basic to understand lyrics right on the first go (yes I understood “Louboutin” instead of “Le beau temps” :doh::lol3:), so for me it was helpful as well to be able to read them in English.

If he will ever perform the song acoustically, I think I am going to cry. I will actually attend the screening of Quotidien this Thursday in Paris, so I hope he will perform the song… on one hand I hope he will do it acoustically, it was written that way and I absolutely loved the snippet on Tiktok. On the other hand I hope he will do the radio version… because I am a terribly ugly crier!! 

• Like 8

On 9/4/2023 at 4:58 AM, Maaikie... said:

Being able to read the lyrics in English really helps me to understand the gravity of this insanely catchy song. 
We always said that his mother was probably really proud of her boy. Having been backstage two times, having seen how much she was involved in every single thing Mika did.. It really hit us when we heard the news about her. 

knowing this, and remembering seeing Mika peeking through the curtains in Düsseldorf 2010 to see how people would react to Kick Ass, with that very insecure, yet scared and giddy posture, I can only imagine how scared he mustve been to sing C’est la Vie live in that massive crowd for the first time. But this time his mother isn’t there to watch him from the sideline to cheer him on. Plus he sings about her.. It’s heartbreaking, but so beautiful at the same time.  As I said in my message for his birthday, it’s been a hell of a ride so far and I couldn’t be more proud.

Maaikie,

I found your post very moving. Although I was glad to also read that M said the song represents freedom and happiness for him (I think that some people feel free to live after they face death, even if it is someone else's), he has made clear how entwined they were….she saved his life, after all, and was so involved, practically and emotionally, every step of the way. What a hole that leaves. And as I am (belatedly) learning about him, what is clear is how vulnerable he is, and how willing to be open about his feelings and pain. In the language of therapy (I was a therapist) that is not a bad thing. Yes, it means you can be hurt, but it means you are open, you let life in, you feel it all, pain and joy. Many of us protect ourselves from vulnerability, but it really makes life worth living, and people who show it are really quite endearing. It is what he talks about in the beginning of his Pride special (the Indeed one) when he describes empathy. In the beginning of his career one would see it. His little boy charm expressed it, and of course his interviews described it. I was very aware of in also in that early moment in his Parc des Princes concert (omg help me I can't get rid of this huge screaming font!!) (oh, ok, that did it) when early on, sitting at the piano, he looks around at what he has created and runs his hand through his hair with an expression of amazement and joy. His feelings so available, so freely expressed. I think that is what has made so many of his fans fall in love with him. So, you nailed it!

Now, please tell me, is there anywhere on this forum where you talk about how it came to be that you watched him from backstage, and what the experience was like for you?!:clap:

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Maaikie,

I found your post very moving. Although I was glad to also read that M said the song represents freedom and happiness for him (I think that some people feel free to live after they face death, even if it is someone else's), he has made clear how entwined they were….she saved his life, after all, and was so involved, practically and emotionally, every step of the way. What a hole that leaves. And as I am (belatedly) learning about him, what is clear is how vulnerable he is, and how willing to be open about his feelings and pain. In the language of therapy (I was a therapist) that is not a bad thing. Yes, it means you can be hurt, but it means you are open, you let life in, you feel it all, pain and joy. Many of us protect ourselves from vulnerability, but it really makes life eorth living, and people who show it are really wuite endearing. It is what he talks about in the beginning of his Pride special (the Indeed one) when he describes empathy. In the beginning of his career one would see it. His little boy charm expressed it, and of course his interviews described it. I was very aware of in also in that early moment in his Parc des Princes concert (omg help me I can't get rid of this huge screaming font!!) (oh, ok, that did it) when early on, sitting at the piano, he looks around at what he has created and runs his hand through his hair with an expression of amazement and joy. His feelings so available, so freely expressed. I think that is what has made so many of his fans fall in love with him. So, you nailed it!

Now, please tell me, is there anywhere on this forum where you talk about how it came to be that you watched him from backstage, and what the experience was like for you?!:clap:

Ah yes you put it to words perfectly. His honest emotions and expressions are what make it endearing. I definitely think this song will come back to me when I’m feeling down about life. So thank you Mika, for giving us another one like that💪 Relax does this for me too. 

As for a report of that gig, I’m not sure if it’s here on MFC or if I typed it in Dutch on an older Dutch platform that doesn’t exist anymore.. I do have it on paper in my scrapbook, but I’m traveling atm. There was a lot that happened backstage that night :naughty: Joan talking about her experience at a mixed spa and a shirtless Jimmy are part of it too lol. Mind you, I was 15, so the way I wrote it is well.. With the mind of a 15 year old fan😂

**edit I sent you a DM! @QueenBigFat

Edited by Maaikie...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Maaikie... said:

Ah yes you put it to words perfectly. His honest emotions and expressions are what make it endearing. I definitely think this song will come back to me when I’m feeling down about life. So thank you Mika, for giving us another one like that💪 Relax does this for me too. 

As for a report of that gig, I’m not sure if it’s here on MFC or if I typed it in Dutch on an older Dutch platform that doesn’t exist anymore.. I do have it on paper in my scrapbook, but I’m traveling atm. There was a lot that happened backstage that night :naughty: Joan talking about her experience at a mixed spa and a shirtless Jimmy are part of it too lol. Mind you, I was 15, so the way I wrote it is well.. With the mind of a 15 year old fan😂

**edit I sent you a DM! @QueenBigFat

Wonderful! Thank you.

Fifteen. I cannot  imagine what that must have been like for you!

I met The Who when I was in my 20's. Not nearly what it must have been like with Mika because they were nothing like him, but for me at that time it was the Most Amazing Experience In the History of My Life!!!

• Like 4

In the RTL interview he says that in C'est La Vie he talks about things that he couldn't have talked about 2 years ago, one year ago, even 6 months ago. 💔 I'm very happy for him that writing this song made him feel better. Although of course you can still see him struggle when he has to address it directly in an interview - it's a difference to sing about something or to talk about it, but the former helps him with the latter. :huglove:

He also said that he only wrote this song when the album was already finished. So I guess it must've been just a few months ago. Anyway, I love that he chose this to be the first single of the album, instead of Sweetie Banana. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Maaikie... said:

Maaikie, I see from reading your story that it was not merely a “fan” experience. Thanks so much for sending it. I think your observations are very profound.

11 hours ago, mellody said:

In the RTL interview he says that in C'est La Vie he talks about things that he couldn't have talked about 2 years ago, one year ago, even 6 months ago. 💔

Ahh I have yet to watch this interview… that breaks my heart for him 💔 but like you said, I’m also relieved for him that he has found the words through song.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2023 at 12:11 AM, QueenBigFat said:

What an extraordinary tribute to someone who sounds like she was an extraordinary person. It so captures what she taught to him….and now to all of us.

Edited to add: what I see is totally about his mom and the philosophical and emotional result of her loss. From his looking at the meaning of the aging process and his questioning, to her struggles and losses (Beirut) to the things she taught him and created for him and saw about his future, to the pain and emptiness his siblings share, to questioning everything because when you are grieving your own fading or the loss of a beloved what’s the point, to: but in the light of all of this, my mother said we must still live, and celebrate life, with an exclamation point! And so that is what he is doing. Thus it is a tribute to her life, their loss, and the message she left…. Her legacy. The video enhances that message, tho there is irony in the fact that the dancing crowd does not understand the lyrics or the song (yet?) and is just there for a Mika party….and he is doing the best he can, as she inspired him to do. Yet, as someone pointed out, alone in the crowd. Those who “know” him can see what is behind his eyes. I don’t think the fans who are there are able or willing to in that moment. Or he doesn’t want to let them.

I love the melody. I am captivated and deeply moved by the brilliant lyrics. And the entire gestalt of the video—lyrics in contrast to melody (as usual!), upbeat dance (dance! Dance! Dance!) beat, venue, party atmosphere, and, above it all (literally and figuratively), Mika, smiling and entertaining his fans, rips my guts out. This may well be not what the song wants me to do, but my own feelings of compassion and affection for him make me cry. Which he does to me a lot, but this was different. I cried for him.

I think he found a lot of confort in the way the crowd made that song theirs right from the start and it was something beautiful to witness because he made a song with his feelings that helped him heal , but that also clicks right away with listeners because the melody and the feelings have something universal that heals us too (as usual with Mika) but the connection with this song is so instant and strong. He said the filming in Spa was only meant for socials but that it ended up being the video for the song because of how amazing it was. And it's like his mother is still part of his carrier. This song is meant to be a huge hit I belìeve. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

he made a song with his feelings that helped him heal , but that also clicks right away with listeners because the melody and the feelings have something universal that heals us too (as usual with Mika) but the connection with this song is so instant and strong.

I think that's because it's 100% from his heart, and the listeners can feel that, even if they don't know the lyrics.

• Like 6