C'est La Vie - Song and Lyrics Discussion

3 hours ago, Prisca said:

Since no one has addressed it yet, this is what I think about it:

C’est quoi ces fleurs et son amour (the flowers on the coffin)

Mes frères et sœurs et leurs cœurs lourds (how his siblings feel in front of the coffin during the funeral)

Placard fermé à double tour (I think Mika is talking about the coffin)

But that was the first that came to my mind and it can be totally wrong and he really means a closet because "placard" doesn't seem to be a common word for coffin.

But there is also the expression in English: to have a skeleton in the closet, which seems to be used in a similar colloquial context in French as: "Avoir un cadavre, un squelette dans le placard" (source: Le Petit Robert). Of course that means something completely different, but there is also a corpse and a "placard" .

Also 

" sortir du placard"  means " coming out as gay" 

" être dans le placard"  means " someone hiding  being gay" 

Then  ,as he said that the song is a summary of all the bad things in his life "placard fermé à double tour" could refer to someone who strongly doesn't want to be outed or someone who doesn't want people to know that a relative is gay.

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, carafon said:

Also 

" être dans le placard"  means " someone hiding to be gay" 

Then  ,as he said that the song is a summary of all the bad things in his life "placard fermé à double tour" could refer to someone who strongly doesn't want to be outed or someone who doesn't want people to know that a relative is gay.

Yes, but does it make sense in this context? He talks about his mother, was she part of the LGBTQIA+ community? Will she take the secret with her to her grave? I don't think the "placard" here has anything to do with this topic. :dunno_grin:

6 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Yes, but does it make sense in this context? He talks about his mother, was she part of the LGBTQIA+ community? Will she take the secret with her to her grave? I don't think the "placard" here has anything to do with this topic. :dunno_grin:

He said in some interview that it's not only about his mother but everything that s....s in his life . 

For exemple , "c'est quoi ces rides sur mon visage" is obviously not about his mother.....but of course it doesn't mean that my "placard" idea is right :naughty:

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1

Just now, carafon said:

He said in some interview that it's not only about his mother but everything that s....s in his life . 

For exemple , "c'est quoi ces rides sur mon visages" is not about his mother.....but of course it doesn't mean that my "placard" idea is right :naughty:

If it were written in a different context it would make sense to me, but with the lines that come before. Why are there flowers somewhere because Mika is gay? Why are his siblings sad? Certainly not because he's gay. :dunno_grin:

11 minutes ago, Prisca said:

If it were written in a different context it would make sense to me, but with the lines that come before. Why are there flowers somewhere because Mika is gay? Why are his siblings sad? Certainly not because he's gay. :dunno_grin:

I'd rather see it as a list , not necessary one line refering to the next or previous line 

But it also could be that they closed the closets with Joannie's belongings because it was too much pain to see them

Could also be double (or more) meanings and everyone is right :wink2: ........or wrong :naughty:

Edited by carafon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, carafon said:

Also 

" être dans le placard"  means " someone hiding  being gay" 

6 hours ago, Prisca said:

6 hours ago, carafon said:

I'd rather see it as a list , not necessary one line refering to the next or previous line 

But it also could be that they closed the closets with Joannies dresses because it was too much pain to see them

For me it means that a part of a history is over with his mum's death.

The closet has been closed "a double tours"  - for ever. For him as well as for his brother and sisters.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

For me it's mean that a part of a history is over with his mum's death.

The closet has been closed "a double tours"  - for ever. For him as well as for his brother and sisters.

I agree with that .

But as he wrote it with Doriand who knows much how to play with French words   , I guess there could be double meaning as well 

Edited by carafon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, carafon said:

I agree with that .

Yes me too.

3 minutes ago, carafon said:

But as he wrote it with Doriand who knows much how to play with French words   , I guess there could be double meaning as well 

Yes, maybe there is a double meaning there, but I don't think that's it. To me it would only make sense if he had told his mother that he was gay and no one else and she would take that to her grave...

1 minute ago, Prisca said:

Yes me too.

Yes, maybe there is a double meaning there, but I don't think that's it. To me it would only make sense if he had told his mother that he was gay and no one else and she would take that to her grave...

It was just an idea because you asked about "placard" meanings .........so I'd realy not put a lot of money on this bet :naughty:.

Some familiar expression for coffin would be "la boite" or "la caisse"  ( boxes) , but for sure I've never eared  "placard" .

• Like 1

The most likely to me is that he wanted to describe the scene of the funeral and was looking for the right words to express his feelings, without being too explicit, even with trying to be poetic. And maybe in that process he also thought of words that could refer to more than one thing. So it's well possible that the first 2 lines refer to the funeral, and the last line has a double meaning. In any case I assume he did want to leave it open to interpretation. Especially with a topic like death it's difficult because many people try to avoid it, so you don't want to hit them over the head with it. Many people who randomly hear the song might have no idea that it talks about his Mum, or even know what happened to her. To those of us who do know, we realize that he completely opens up his heart and addresses his emotions and thoughts about death and life, that are so heavy but also so relatable.

So when he keeps asking "what is it?", I think it's a bit like "what's the point?". So if you want to take this further about being in the closet / coming out of the closet, you could imply the question, "why do you even bother coming out of the closet if in the end you're locked in one forever?" - which is really heavy, but it would fit to the question of "what's the point of it all". And the answer is, because this is life. You can't make a difference anymore when you're dead, you can only do it while you're still alive. So in this context I get why he says that without the chorus the song would be too sad, and why the chorus is actually really motivating and uplifting.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Juless said:

C'est la Vie (Kids Choir Version / La Maîtrise Populaire)

Mika just released a new version of C'est la Vie with the kids of the Opera Comique, La Maîtrise Populaire, etc...

It contains new arrangements and a kids choir ofc.

What do you think? :dunno:

I like it. Having the children singing contrasts with the lyrics about ageing and loss, but reinforces the message of embracing life with their youthful exuberance. In their voices, the wondering and reflective "c'est quoi" becomes more of a "so what" chant - it's going to happen anyway, but we're young so we're not going to worry about it, we're just going to concentrate on living to the fullest. Plus, it sounds good! I wish the fans and audiences at gigs sounded that good singing together. :lol3:

• Like 7

YouTube

C’est la Vie (Kids Choir Version / La Maitrise Populaire) ·

• MIKA C'est la Vie
  • ℗ 2023 MIKA PUNCH
  • Released on: 2023-10-27
  • Associated Performer, Vocals: MIKA
  • Producer, Associated Performer, Guitar, Keyboards, Programmer: Tristan Salvati
  • A & R, Programmer: Martin Lefebvre
  • Associated Performer, Background Vocalist, Vocal Producer: Marsō
  • Studio Personnel, Additional Engineer: Alex Stacey
  • Studio Personnel, Additional Engineer: Francesco Felcini
  • Studio Personnel, Mixer: Geoff Swan
  • Studio Personnel, Assistant Mixer: Matt Cahill
  • Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: John Greenham
  • Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Clearlight
  • Mastering Associated Performer, Vocals: la Maitrise Populaire
  • Studio Personnel, Additional Mixer: Massimo Barbieri
  • Choir: Maitrise Populaire de l’Opéra Comique
  • A& R: Sarah Koné
  • Author, Composer: MIKA
  • Composer: Tristan Salvati
  • Author: Doriand

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hero said:

Having the children singing contrasts with the lyrics about ageing and loss, but reinforces the message of embracing life with their youthful exuberance.

To me it's exactly the opposite: the message of the song it's so heavy and deeply serious, a huge contrast with the innocence of the kids... but it's only my feeling :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hero said:

I like it. Having the children singing contrasts with the lyrics about ageing and loss, but reinforces the message of embracing life with their youthful exuberance. In their voices, the wondering and reflective "c'est quoi" becomes more of a "so what" chant - it's going to happen anyway, but we're young so we're not going to worry about it, we're just going to concentrate on living to the fullest. Plus, it sounds good! 

Agree, it adds new facets to the song. And I especially love the last chorus, where they're singing the "parce que c'est ca la vie" in the background.

19 minutes ago, krysady said:

And the video:

That video is so much fun, especially the first verse where Mika actually performs the song and the lyrics. Like the bit where he pretends to be an old man, lol! :lmfao: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, krysady said:

To me it's exactly the opposite: the message of the song it's so heavy and deeply serious, a huge contrast with the innocence of the kids... but it's only my feeling :dunno_grin:

Well it's like a lesson of life and also like a way to learn how to cope with sadness with joy. And appreciate what we have and live life to the fullest since it is short.

• Like 2

There's something really dark about having kids featured on a song about aging and death and other serious topics. I do like it though and kids often are more comfortable discussing these things and really do have this "so what" attitude so it is fitting.

And I had to laugh immediately when I clicked on the kids version and the first voice that stands out to me is Max's. Now I'm picturing him hiding in the middle of the kids choir tomorrow :D

• Haha 4