The Piano Renewed for Second Series

Kumazzz

Just finished watching and I am sobbing like a baby. Sheesh, Nerys and the choir! I didn’t think it would affect me, especially knowing what was coming from a few preview clips on social media. I am definitely not a crier, now I officially am. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Just finished watching and I am sobbing like a baby. Sheesh, Nerys and the choir! I didn’t think it would affect me, especially knowing what was coming from a few preview clips on social media. I am definitely not a crier, now I officially am. 

Unlike Mika, I’m a small softie, because well he’s like 5 meters tall and I’m only 1 meter tall. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What a wonderful episode!  The triplets made me smile – they were so cute – and I chuckled when the piano bike man replied matter-of-factly that no, the piano hasn’t helped him through a difficult time. :lol:   I love Anton's imagination and enthusiam and I was touched by the playing and singing of other performers.  Nerys and the Welsh choir made me cry too, Michelle @holdingyourdrink.

So glad the producers let us hear more of the music this time and I'm very happy for this week's winner. This was an episode with so many talented performers.

Edited by SusanT
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Oh my! That episode hit me right in the feels.

I recognized Katie's song as soon as she started singing. It's by one of my faaaaavorite bands, a Welsh band, and it was written after one of the band members (and their best friend) went missing (his car was found by a bridge so many assume he committed suicide). It normally sounds NOTHING like that but very fitting that she sang it after her loss. It would've been a little dream come true if Mika had recognized or something.

The last song with the choir had me tearing up at work. It reminded me a little of when Elisa and the Sardinian women's choir and Mika sang "Anninnia Anninna" on SCM.

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hero said:

I think everybody needs a hug after that episode! :group_hug::huglove::hug:

I am writing about the second episode on my website while rewatching it and all emotions from yesterday evening came back.

Oh, yes, I need a hug now!

:group_hug:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Nerys got a mention on the Lorraine show this morning!

And then Teddy was a guest on This Morning too, he talked about his experience and played a piece on the piano as well 😊

ITVX

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/articles/star-of-the-piano-teddy-otieno-gives-a-special-performance

Monday 6 May

Star of The Piano Teddy Otieno gives a special performance

He’s the passionate pianist who wowed the judges on The Piano and now Teddy Otieno is in our studio to give us a special performance and share his incredible story.

Remarkably, Teddy taught himself to play by watching videos of piano performances in his local internet cafe in Nairobi… without ever having touched a piano.

This Morning

Teddy Otieno (Appeared On Channel 4 Series 'The Piano') On This Morning [06.05.2024]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2024 at 11:44 PM, CharlotteL said:

I loved this second episode so much!! I mean in the beginning I was more skeptical than ever to be honest because there seemed to be even more focus on backstories instead of playing. But I felt like that changed about 1/3 through the episode like it suddenly took a complete turn and suddenly we just heard the talents play and that's what provoked all these emotions and I was crying the whole way through the second half basically. So many magical moments to use Mika bingo terms :D

I also need to apologize to @crazyaboutmika (I think it was) whom I accused of posting spoilers cause I thought her comment implied that several talents were going to get picked in Cardiff. I now realize you might have just meant you saw some of talents in the audience.

I also watched some of the documentary that was on right afterwards about Lucy and it's fascinating. It shows more of her daily life and her personality really comes through and about her teacher Daniel and the other kids he teaches as well.

It wasn't me I was away from home and I have a lot of Mika shows( the piano, the voice and Mac Donald's concert to catch up with now that I'm back. But it's true that words can have different meanings and it can easily lead to misunderstandings sometimes. Reading your post made me want to watch the piano even more :wub2:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Radio Times - 11 May 2024

Radio-Times-11-May-2024.jpg.6466d8e23a8f817ba5321ef65b0ce00c.jpg

Page 49

The Piano

9.00pm C4

Lang Lang, Claudia Wincleman and Mika ( pictured ) head to Edinburgh Waverley Station in search of more musical talent.

Radio_Times_11_05_2024_p.49-p.51_page-0001.thumb.jpg.beb97c1f40f98a25b41b753274b0af84.jpg

Page 51

Channel 4

9:00 The Piano

Ep 3 Series 2.
The search for gifted pianists takes host Claudia Winkleman to Edinburgh Waverley railway station, where judges Lang Lang and Mika are charmed by hopefuls including a boy wearing a bow tie, before being enchanted by a tango.

The first series is available to stream.

Radio_Times_11_05_2024-p.51-c4.thumb.jpg.ec1a133863154aa8b95a38604e7557fe.jpg

Radio_Times_11_05_2024-p_51.thumb.jpg.8957921e365c8d19e45c60f335191477.jpg

Inside Soap UK - 11 May 2024

inside-soap-uk-11_05_2024.jpg.034baa5a60a9e6a0d9dcd812e4a51323.jpg

Channel 4

9.00 The Piano
Claudia, Mika and Lang Lang's search for amazing amateur pianists brings them to Waverley Station in Edinburgh, where they are blown away by a boy in a bow tie and get caught up by an Argentine tango.

Inside_Soap_UK_11_05_2024_p.69_ThePiano.thumb.jpg.24f40065288be6bf236b7f7eb7a4cd32.jpg

inside-soap-uk-11_05_2024-1.thumb.jpg.a566900469f251d3845c74c091274ce8.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many amazing pianists today, wow! I'm glad I don't have to decide between them, it's impossible, lol! 😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Spoiler warning.

Question for those who attended the final:

Spoiler

I'm confused, why did they only announced 2 finalists? Did I miss something? 

Radio Times

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/the-piano-format-twist-performance-newsupdate/

Published: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:00 pm

The Piano airs surprise format twist as Lang Lang and Mika reveal final performers

Lang Lang, Mika and Claudia Winkleman were in Edinburgh this weekend!

The Piano returned for another heart-warming episode tonight (Sunday 12th May) as Lang Lang, Mika and Claudia Winkleman found themselves in Edinburgh, ready to find the next breakout piano star.

The trio are blown away once again with a range of talent, from a boy in a bow tie, a piano-playing postie, and an Argentine tango – Edinburgh was a city to remember as they look to find one special pianist to perform at the final concert. But tonight, there was a twist!

:teehee:

Spoiler

After all the performances, Mika and Lang Lang had a tough decision to make and they changed things up by inviting two pianists to perform in Manchester, rather than the usual one.

As Mika and Lang Lang met the performers at the end of the episode, they sung their praises and revealed the surprise.

"[This was] one of the highest standards we have seen in any city so far in this adventure," Mika said. "Every single one of you, in all your different styles, you open a door onto a secret part of you."

He continued: "We are planning a very special concert and we'd like to invite one person to perform onstage at the concert. That person that we will be inviting to Manchester is Daria."

Daya grew up in Ukraine and was put in music school from a young age, but her "life was changed forever" amid the ongoing war.

"It was the most difficult decision in my life to leave my family, to leave my hometown, to leave Ukraine," she said when explaining her story.

When Mika and Lang Lang revealed the exciting news, Daria was overcome with emotion and said: "Are you kidding me? Really?... It means what I'm doing, when I'm playing, it's not empty things. So people can hear, they can listen to what I want to say through the music, through the piano."

But the heart-warming moments didn't stop there. "We actually decided to have two," Lang Lang revealed. "I would like to invite Sum! You will do great."

When Sum was younger, he was drawn to a toy piano and had "no interest" in any other toys. He performed a Sonata 37 in D Major and at the end of his performance, Lang Lang gave him a hug and signed his book.

After finding out he would be performing at the concert, Sum said: "It is unbelievable. It feels like a dream or something and I was like, 'I don't know what to say.'"

Next week, the trio will be at London Victoria station, hoping to discover the next piano star!

The Piano season 2 continues on Sundays at 9pm on Channel 4.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hero said:

Spoiler warning.

Question for those who attended the final:

Hide contents

I'm confused, why did they only announced 2 finalists? Did I miss something? 

Spoiler

Maybe they decided about the third one off camera when the recording was finished? Anyway already announcing 2 was a big change.

• Like 2

An article about Daria in episode 3 : Edinburgh

Daily Record - 13 May 2024

daily-record-13-may-2024.jpg.e6ee083a576ddaab62fd575bc417438c.jpg

UKRAINE REFUGEE ON PIANO FINALE

DARIA FINDS KEYS TO HER HAPPINESS

GIVEN A VOICE Daria Golovchenko says she is speaking through playing the piano
 Musician wowed train station crowds

A UKRAINIAN refugee who fled her home with just her young daughter and a suitcase has made it to the final of The Piano after the Channel 4 show visited Scotland.

Daria Golovchenko impressed judges and commuters with her playing at Waverley Station in Edinburgh.

The talented pianist was forced to leave her home in Kherson in April 2022 with her then two-year-old daughter following Russia’s invasion.

She has now settled in the UK and said her piano playing had made her feel strong again.

On last night’s episode of The Piano, Daria, who is in her 30s, was the last contestant at Waverley Station and she performed a rendition of Libertango by Italian composer Astor Piazzolla.

She was selected for the final of the Claudia Winkleman-presented series by the judges, singer-songwriter Mika and Chinese pianist Lang Lang.

After being told the news, Daria said: “I couldn’t imagine I would be here when I was in Ukraine. It’s so emotional because it means what I’m playing is not an empty thing. People can hear what I want to say through the piano.

“When I first came to the UK, it was very difficult. I started playing the piano again and it was like a dancer who didn’t dance for a long time.

“Before the war, the piano was just an instrument to me but here it helped me to be myself.

“I can speak through the piano. I feel confident, powerful and very happy.”

Describing her decision to leave home, she added: “It was the most difficult decision of my life to leave my family, to leave my hometown, to leave Ukraine.”

Daria, who started playing piano at the age of five, will perform at a concert in Manchester where the winner of The Piano will be chosen.

Joining her will be 10-year-old Sum, who was also selected for his performance of Haydn’s Sonata in D major.

He moved to Edinburgh with his family from Hong Kong two years ago.

DailyRecord-13May2024_p_20.thumb.jpg.6b15965e83cca29ddba7dbc2bf549d35.jpg

• Like 3

On Sunday 12 May 2024, Lang Lang appear in Sunday Brunch.

INSTAGRAM

https://www.instagram.com/p/C63anNloAhQ/

Channel 4

Sunday Brunch
Sun 12 May, 9.30am

Lang Lang tells us about the new series of The Piano.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/sunday-brunch/on-demand/75053-014

Here is a part of Lang Lang talking from the program.

• Like 1