I can't believe I just discovered Mika!

QueenBigFat

Hi, all. First, introducing self….I am a 74 yo lesbian (mostly😉) living on Long Island with my (now) wife, who I have been with since the year Mika was born! 

I am so very late to this party.

In early June this year I was meandering around cable channels when I came across one that recycles old PBS shows. There I saw some guy, wearing what looked like a fitted mylar padded mailer, standing rigidly, moved stiffly and a little awkwardly, as he sang with an orchestra. His hair was combed straight back, and when he smiled he had bunny teeth. Not much to look at, but his music immediately grabbed me. It was a bit exotic, Continental.

I called to my wife, who was in the room with the DVR. Hey, would you tape this show next time it is on? There is something very interesting about this music. I can't explain what. But it is compelling.

Little did I know.

And as we watched the entire concert, some unexpected things unfolded. I had assumed the singer was French. He sang with the emotional urgency of Edith Piaf. But he spoke English— with a delicious British accent. His rigid movements loosened up; it appeared he had been containing a lot of energy in the beginning. The terse smile he had originally shown loosened into a goofy, cute grin. But, more important was the way the woman singer (who I assumed was hired for the event) smiled at him: with great warmth and affection. Whoever he is, I said to Hunny, people really seem to like him. When he hugged the Conductor, he seemed boyish. Vulnerable. I wondered aloud whether he had been bullied as a kid.

I had to find out more about him.

And so my journey began. First, I found some concert footage, and this was no orchestral guy! This man, who had stood so stiffly in a concert hall, now consumed the stage like a cross between a young Mick Jagger and a giselle. And he was so powerful! And his audience certainly did not sit quietly in its seat!

So on to wiki. Maybe it would tell me what else this unknown guy had done.

Wait. He's been around for how long? Sold how many copies of his first release? How many awards?? Wait. TV shows? That show? And that one? And a few of his own?!?

What had he done? What HADN'T he done!?

So now it was time, let's look up some images.

And I saw that face. The smile— the real one. The one that bloomed from his heart. Those eyes, that so directly connected. The warmth through. The grin he breaks into when the audience really appreciates his performance.

Oh. My. God.

And so what had been a journey of discovery now turned into an obsession, as I watched performance videos and interviews and read articles and professional reviews and fan comments. I learned Ida was hardly just someone he hired, but I also saw the private smiles of others in the orchestra…and that he had been adopted by everyone from Madonna to that famous shoe guy….every day a new fascinating fact. And I experienced.….the brilliant, often dark lyrics, which became an ear warm (I mean ear worm!!! But that other phrase kind of says it too) garden like none I had had since Les Mis, whose jukebox starts playing the minute I wake up. The humanity of his generous spirit, the trauma and struggles that broke my heart. That even so he had come out of that childhood without becoming bitter, with an unmeasurable capacity for love. The appreciation of his fans and how he took care of them. That extraordinary moment on stage with the crying little girl during Underwater (my favorite moment, favorite performance number, favorite song). I could ramble on, but there really is nothing I can say about him that has not been written before….over and over, the consistency of people's impressions of him and investment in him is astonishing.

As I write this, watching again the concert—literally—on my screen he is singing “ thank god that you found me”. That is how I feel about him—-that in these dark, hostile, terrifying times, grateful to have found Mika, an international ambassador of love and kindness, who has given me hope.

And writing that made me cry.

Edited by QueenBigFat
Because by now I should know how the word worm is spelled, but I guess not
  • Like 23

Welcome @QueenBigFat! As a fellow US fan, I relate to your Mika discovery journey quite well. I keep wondering how I didn't find him sooner.

I love the way you write, this is a lovely introduction post that I think speaks to many of us fans and how we felt when we discovered Mika. I hope you enjoy the MFC :welcomeani:

• Like 4

Hi @QueenBigFat and :welcomeani:

I'm C.J in the UK, loved reading your introduction! Discovering Mika really is a journey!

It's never too late to join the Mika party, as I've said before this is Mika's world and we're just living in it! :biggrin2:

And there's bound to be a lot more that you'll discover too!

• Like 4

:welcomeani: @QueenBigFat !

Ok, to be completely honest, your introduction made me cry too... I've been on this ride following him for nearly 15 years now and sometimes it's good to have someone putting words on what I also feel and the reason why I've been here all along. 

I'm glad you found him ! 

Enjoy MFC, I'm sure you still have plenty to discover ! :)

• Like 5

Welcome to the MFC ! :welcomeani:

I'm Eriko from Japan.

Your introduction is very moving❤❤❤

I am one of those who are obsessed with Mika since 2008...

Have fun at here and hope you will meet Mika soon !!! :wub2:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

And writing that made me cry.

Great, now you made me cry too! Lovely introduction! :wub2:  

18 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

And a few of his own?!?

Highly recommend to watch Casa Mika, if you haven't yet, it's a masterpiece! 

• Like 3

Thank you all. I just discovered the subtitles thread for videos in other languages….this is to notify the outside world that I will be taking a substantial sabbatical for maybe a year or twelve to watch all the stuff I thought I would have to miss bec the only language I can manage is English….

(QueenBigFat skips off wagging her tail to get lost in the enormous riches found in the MFC …)Bring It Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Bedankt iedereen. Ik heb net de ondertitelingsdraad ontdekt voor video's in andere talen... dit is om de buitenwereld te laten weten dat ik een flinke sabbatical ga nemen voor misschien een jaar of twaalf om alle dingen te bekijken waarvan ik dacht dat ik ze zou moeten missen omdat de enige taal Ik kan het aan is Engels….

(QueenBigFat huppelt kwispelend weg om te verdwalen in de enorme rijkdom die in de MFC wordt gevonden …)Breng het Reactie GIF door reactieseditor

What a beautiful story! Mika happened to me 4 years ago. I am 76 so I recognize a lot in your story. Unfortunately I have never been to a performance of Mika and there is not much chance that he will come to the Netherlands .. I wish you a lot of fun with Mika!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Trollenfan47 said:

What a beautiful story! Mika happened to me 4 years ago. I am 76 so I recognize a lot in your story. Unfortunately I have never been to a performance of Mika and there is not much chance that he will come to the Netherlands .. I wish you a lot of fun with Mika!

Actually he has appeared in the Netherlands and the USA on many occasions, so there is hope for you both

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Trollenfan47 said:

What a beautiful story! Mika happened to me 4 years ago. I am 76 so I recognize a lot in your story…

I love how you phrased that! That is just how it feels. And hello to another wise old crone! (In American vernacular that is a great thing for a woman to be)

I'm sorry you have not been able to see him live….perhaps at a future time.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Oh. My. God.

Yup, there it is. The exact feeling I had on discovering him. ❤️ You're in good company here, part fan club, part support group (for the dry spells), and all round awesome. 

Welcome, and have fun! 

• Like 4

Hey, everyone….I have been wondering about something and can’t find info online about this….maybe someone here might know, or can direct me to the answer on MFC….with our guy not being much in the US, does anyone have any info about why PBS aired his concert in the States, sort of out of nowhere? I mean, rrrrrreallllly glad they did, but it seems like a disconnected lucky fluke!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

Hey, everyone….I have been wondering about something and can’t find info online about this….maybe someone here might know, or can direct me to the answer on MFC….with our guy not being much in the US, does anyone have any info about why PBS aired his concert in the States, sort of out of nowhere? I mean, rrrrrreallllly glad they did, but it seems like a disconnected lucky fluke!

I know it was sponsored/made possible on PBS by Indeed, who also sponsored Mika’s US tour last year. So I figured that might have something to do with it.

• Like 4

…although it does seem, she said, responding to her own self, that he has always made amazing connections…. with famous performers right when he just began, and increasingly as he went on, hugely important gigs at major European events, TV shows (and that New Years Eve 2021 show…. The. New. Years. Eve. Show.,  for all of France, 5 hundred gazillion fireworks and just Mika at a piano. Jeese.) Not undeserved at all, but his career has run an innerestin course. (That’s not a typo. I play with spelling.:nerd:  )

• Like 2

Hey, all, I just have to share this with you: I was watching a Mika youtube and one of the comments, from seven years ago, was—paraphrasing here—“I really like Mika. I hope he becomes famous.”

How adorable is that?!

• Haha 4

Hi @QueenBigFat and welcome to MFC.

Loved your introduction, and as so many others here, I obviously experienced similar feelings when I discovered Mika... it's just that for me that was 16+ years ago! Who would have thunk I'd be here still? :lol3:

I'm also in the US (DC area), and also a writer - it's nice to have you aboard!

16 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

From what I understand, that concert was broadcast around France, and also in Italy and several other European countries. It was then offered to PBS here in the US, but only a few cities picked it up -- New York and LA, which makes sense I guess. I live in hope that it will be shown elsewhere eventually, but so far, nope.

In any case, as others have already told you, there's lots here to dig into -- Enjoy!

• Like 4

On 8/21/2023 at 8:09 AM, dcdeb said:

Who would have thunk

Ok super random but is this a common english speakers joke or a Mika insider? 😂

Because I recently found a Mika interview with Alan Cumming where he says that and I have using it since… Had never heard it before and now my brain won‘t stop going "Who‘d have THUNK"

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 2:40 PM, CharlotteL said:

Ok super random but is this a common english speakers joke or a Mika insider? 😂

Because I recently found a Mika interview with Alan Cumming where he says that and I have using it since… Had never heard it before and now my brain won‘t stop going "Who‘d have THUNK"

Honestly thought I'd replied back to this but I think my brain was still in holiday mode last week, sorry!

I'd say "thunk" is fairly common amongst English speakers. I've heard people use it often enough over the years, myself included!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1