MIKA eyes eurovision entry

Lollipop

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is true. It wouldn't make sense, he does the Papillons des Nuits Festival on the 19th of May and the Final of the ESC is on the 18th of May. Plus he doesn't seem to have a high option of the contest, he said it in several interviews.

So I don't think it's true at all.

And personally I don't want it to be true, too, even if I'm a big fan of Mika and fan of Eurovision. I really don't want to hear all the negativity the ESC would get from Mika-Fans and the negativity Mika would get from the ESC-fans. I like them both too much.

But I just want to add one thing: Eurovision isn't necessary a career killer - look at Loreen, she had a huge hit all over Europe. Or Lena in Germany, she's the only one of a lot of German casting stars that could establish herself here.

Edited by DerMoment1608

Yes. I am shocked. Hope it is NOT true!

Participating at the ESC will destroy his career easier then 'stepping back'! :shocked:

Sorry, I don't agree. What has he got to loose? The UK already thinks he's a gonner. I hope its true and gives his career a much needed boost!

I know I'm not popular on MFC, because I wish for Mika to do anything he can to stay famous. He's too good to just fade away in the UK. If he can get some publicity out of Eurovision, then he should go for it.

At least he'd sing a brilliant song and get some publictiy in the UK for a change.

Sorry, I don't agree. What has he got to loose? The UK already thinks he's a gonner. I hope its true and gives his career a much needed boost!

I know I'm not popular on MFC, because I wish for Mika to do anything he can to stay famous. He's too good to just fade away in the UK. If he can get some publicity out of Eurovision, then he should go for it.

At least he'd sing a brilliant song and get some publictiy in the UK for a change.

Totally agee! :thumb_yello: It''s not a big shame to participate in ESC - even he should be far too big for that!! - but if so happens, UK gets as deserved, so to speak. Maybe they will then wake up, and see what they are about to loose... :wink2:

Love,love

me

I agree with you. What does he has to loose. If he want to get noticed then Eurovision would be the right choice. The Final in Azerbaijan had about 100 million viewers (!) and as long as you have a radio friendly song that people like, you may not win, but you'll defiantly get radio play. They still frequently play cyprus song here, and yesterday I heard Satellite on the radio. And just look at Jedward they wouldn't have a career without Eurovision.

And I have to say in sweden Eurovision aren't something negative. The biggest swedish artist the swedish Eurovision (melodifestivalen) to hopefully get to represent sweden in Eurovision. Half of the artist participating is people you've heard on the radio before Melodifestivalen. Even highly regarded actors participate! But then sweden probably takes esc more seriously than most of the countries do, so I can get why you don't want Mika "to sell out".

But I have to agree with DerMoment1608 it's highly unlikely Mika will compete for the UK this year, it's most certainly just rumours.

I don't think it is true. It wouldn't make sense, he does the Papillons des Nuits Festival on the 19th of May and the Final of the ESC is on the 18th of May. Plus he doesn't seem to have a high option of the contest, he said it in several interviews.

So I don't think it's true at all.

And personally I don't want it to be true, too, even if I'm a big fan of Mika and fan of Eurovision. I really don't want to hear all the negativity the ESC would get from Mika-Fans and the negativity Mika would get from the ESC-fans. I like them both too much.

But I just want to add one thing: Eurovision isn't necessary a career killer - look at Loreen, she had a huge hit all over Europe. Or Lena in Germany, she's the only one of a lot of German casting stars that could establish herself here.

It's not the same in the UK. We haven't had a successful Eurovision act since Katrina and The Waves back in the 90s.

Blue made an unsuccessful comeback a couple of years ago, and when our entries don't win, the acts tend to get derided by the UK public (which is rich seeing as a big portion of them seem obsessed with X Factor, which doesn't churn out anyone with any discernible talent as such, maybe Ollie Murs is an exception to that).

So for Mika to represent the UK, I wouldn't like to see it. He's having enough trouble getting the UKs serious attention as it is.

Edited by RAK1

I agree with you. What does he has to loose. If he want to get noticed then Eurovision would be the right choice. The Final in Azerbaijan had about 100 million viewers (!) and as long as you have a radio friendly song that people like, you may not win, but you'll defiantly get radio play. They still frequently play cyprus song here, and yesterday I heard Satellite on the radio. And just look at Jedward they wouldn't have a career without Eurovision.

And I have to say in sweden Eurovision aren't something negative. The biggest swedish artist the swedish Eurovision (melodifestivalen) to hopefully get to represent sweden in Eurovision. Half of the artist participating is people you've heard on the radio before Melodifestivalen. Even highly regarded actors participate! But then sweden probably takes esc more seriously than most of the countries do, so I can get why you don't want Mika "to sell out".

But I have to agree with DerMoment1608 it's highly unlikely Mika will compete for the UK this year, it's most certainly just rumours.

Tbh I have great respect for Jedward. They know what to do to keep going. They're no where near as good as Mika, but they have savvy, they are smart. They use what they've got and despite being made fun of in the UK, they don't give a toss, they just count their money and smile.

Grahame Norton said Mika should do Eurovision. At least we'd have a decent song and be sure of 12 points from France, and many other countries where Mika is appreciated.

What's the worst that can happen? Mika gets slagged off in the UK. So what's new about that? They've slagged him off since 2007, and now they're just ignoring him At least he'd be getting talked about if he was in ESC and people would look up his new music. They'd have to play his song on the radio and mention him. He might also win, so where's the harm in trying. He's got no career left in the UK, so why not give it a go?

Didn't Mika say once that he's not that huge of a fan of the contest..? And when is the pre-selection for the UK?

They stopped doing pre selection here 2 years ago. Now it's done behind the scenes and the artist and song are announced in March.

I am seeing all over Eurovision blogs that the BBC and Mika's management have confirmed this but I can't find an original source and it all sounds like a rumour still. Is Graham Norton's announcement live? Is it his radio show or some special show about Eurovision or how does it work?

I am seeing all over Eurovision blogs that the BBC and Mika's management have confirmed this but I can't find an original source and it all sounds like a rumour still. Is Graham Norton's announcement live? Is it his radio show or some special show about Eurovision or how does it work?

As far as I know the source is someone with "inside information". So it's just rumours. And it will take another month until we know.

"The UK artist is announced on the Monday, 18th March, and the artist will be interviewed on Graham Norton's radio show on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday the 23rd March"

As far as I know the source is someone with "inside information". So it's just rumours. And it will take another month until we know.

"The UK artist is announced on the Monday, 18th March, and the artist will be interviewed on Graham Norton's radio show on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday the 23rd March"

Thanks. Maybe Mika is writing the song and that's how his name got attached to it. Or maybe someone just made it up because he's always been rumoured to be interested and they don't have any real info. :naughty:

Or maybe someone just made it up because he's always been rumoured to be interested and they don't have any real info. :naughty:

Probably the latter :wink2:

It seems like this one was the first "source":

And as posted before the User who posted it registered only one hour before this post on the site.

Also I'm pretty sure that I read BBC and management in the original message, now it's only "UK Eurovision broadcaster" and "one from Mika's people". Seems like it was edited, although I have no proof now.

Thanks. Maybe Mika is writing the song and that's how his name got attached to it. Or maybe someone just made it up because he's always been rumoured to be interested and they don't have any real info. :naughty:

Probably the latter :naughty:

I have brought this from the Twitter thread..........

I don't think it's true at all.

This discussion really should be in the Eurovision thread - I love MFC!:naughty:

I have chopped most of your quote off simply to reduce the size of my post:thumb_yello:

We could argue these points forever and I don't suppose we would ever agree. Terry Wogan hosted the UK TV coverage for years and years but eventually pulled out due to the way the voting system had degenerated. He isn't British, he is Irish - and Ireland generally do better than the UK - but then so do most countries.:wink2:

Personally I would agree that the UK hasn't put in any decent entries lately - but I still don't honestly think it has much to do with the result. And yes, I take your point about the writer of an entry not getting much recognition but that isn't necessarily why a writer would enter a song.

Personally I would prefer to see Mika performing for France if at all but I would much prefer it if he ignored it completely.

Even though I don't like Eurovision as much as I did when I was a child (as I think it's so cheesy), I still hope that this is true. I understand why some may think it will ruin his career- but just look at Jade Ewen who represented us before. She became a member of the Sugababes sortly after, and she was a nobody before. I feel that this will be perfect promotion, and with Mika the UK has a good chance of winning- because of the success with Elle Me Dit and around Europe. It would be amazing promotion for his album and singles too.

How can he be interviewed by GN in the UK being in Portland, USA, that day???:blink: