MIKA eyes eurovision entry

Lollipop

Christine, I feel the same about it.

What exactly has he got to lose as this point?

Many UK people on here have given their opinion that no-one in the UK- not the radio, not the stores, not most people- have given TOOL a chance and that a lot of people would have liked it if they had. Even if he won Eurovision for the UK, it's considered so naff that he'd be given less of a chance in future. People who don't like cheesy inanity would be even less likely to listen to the album, and people who do like that stuff wouldn't like TOOL because it isn't

But aren't there national heats so that "the people" choose the national entry? Or something.

I'd be happy to see him doing The Voice or some such reality thing. People are always impressed when they hear him talk. Besides, those things are considered WAY classier than Eurovision.

Edited by Soaring Simpson

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pity all the judges in the UK version are coming back, after rumours a couple of them wouldn't be. I think that would have been a boost to his profile. Although I'm not a fan of X Factor, The Voice isn't as bad, as it's not about sad back stories, they focus on the singing properly. I think Mika might have done alright on there, Didn't do Danny from The Script any harm, they've had a resurgence since he started judging on there.

Clearly you haven't seen our version of The Voice because it was an overload of sad stories... They all have amazing voices, but still, a bit too much for my taste:wink2:

Clearly you haven't seen our version of The Voice because it was an overload of sad stories... They all have amazing voices, but still, a bit too much for my taste:wink2:

The BBC try to avoid that, as X Factor is rammed to the rafters with it, and they want The Voice to be about the singing, which is the only reason I have any time for it.

Although in the first series, this guy who was apparently friends with Amy Winehouse, although he said he didn't want to use that friendship as help, certainly didn't mind going on about it in his introduction vid. Would have been way more classy not to mention it at all, and get by on his own merit,I thought.

The Voice is pretty much the same here.

I'm not sure what I would think about Mika going on Eurovison. Admittedly Oz doesn't take it very seriously but then again we're not part of it.

If he goes on it then hopefully he does well.

First of all, I would like to say how interesting and instructive this thread about eurovision (and other song contests like the Voice) is! :thumb_yello:

The French share the British' view. Usually our candidate is not someone famous.

We haven't scored well since ages (1977), we haven't got much hope anymore. This year's candidate should be Amandine Bourgois, a talented girl with an interesting voice, former winner of the French X-factor (called "Nouvelle Star").

Some famous singers represented France: Patricia Kaas did, for instance (in 2009, I think). It was a flop in her own country and it was not positive for her career over here. She was on the downside and it didn't help her to come back.

It seems to be different for songwriters though: Serge Gainsbourg wrote 2 songs (1 for France Gall and 1 for Joëlle Ursule) and, as far as I remember, he was not booed or laughed at.

If Mika were to take part in the ESG, I would rather see him as the songwriter.

Edited by macboll

First of all, I would like to say how interesting and instructive this thread about eurovision (and other song contests like the Voice) is! :thumb_yello:

The French share the British' view. Usually our candidate is not someone famous.

We haven't scored well since ages (1977), we haven't got much hope anymore. This year's candidate should be Amandine Bourgois, a talented girl with an interesting voice, former winner of the French X-factor (called "Nouvelle Star").

Some famous singers represented France: Patricia Kaas did, for instance (in 2009, I think). It was a flop in her own country and it was not positive for her career over here. She was on the downside and it didn't help her to come back.

It seems to be different for songwriters though: Serge Gainsbourg wrote 2 songs (1 for France Gall and 1 for Joëlle Ursule) and, as far as I remember, he was not booed or laughed at.

I'm with you there, about him writing a song for the competition. :thumb_yello:

But as you say the Brits will not be voting for him so what difference does it make? What's the worst that can happen? More derogatory articles about him and then...what?

Yes but something has to start it on the upswing. Mika's always been the trendsetter (or at least gotten in on the ground floor of the trend) so you never know. :naughty:

I still don't understand what it is that he is meant to be gambling. His reputation in the UK...? :dunno:

If Mika doesn't want to do it I totally understand. Like I said this is not my cultural reference so I don't get it anymore than I get the "comedy" of the Elle Me Dit video. It all seems absurd to me but if 100 million people are watching it it doesn't really matter what I think.

If it was something he wanted to do it would be pretty sad if he let some mockery by the British press put him off. Although I suppose he may look towards representing another country.

I do think it is a cultral thing to a certain extent. It is difficult to explain quite how badly the ESC is thought of here.....and I personally just can't see it as a positive, to see Mika associated (as a performer) in something which is laughed at and generally derided.

I'm with you there, about him writing a song for the competition. :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello: I think there would be a lot more credibility in that.

Let me know if you need help :thumb_yello:

the important thing is to participate not always win.

For an artist like Mika consolidated participation is laughable single game or to participate to broaden its expansion between countries and more than staff FUN challenge.:mikacool:

But Mika has never done things to 'save his career'. He is no more likely to go on one of those rediculous 'celebrity' shows than fly to the moon.

But I do agree with you about the voting. To be honest, a competition where the UK are unable to vote for Mika but the rest of Europe can may not be a bad idea. :wink2:

But as Christine says - by now it will be a done deal. Whoever is representing the UK will have been chosen ages ago - we will just have to wait and see.

No, I don't think it is a case of embarrassing us. I just think it is a case of the ESC having such a poor reputation................and add that to how poorly Mika is perceived here it just doesn't seem like a very good combination. I agree that it has gone through cycles - but it certainly isn't going through a very good phase at the moment.

It would certainly raise his profile. It would give him airplay. There is the possibility that if it went well it could do him a lot of good. But it's a gamble and it's one which I personally would be much happier if he didn't take,

The UK can't vote for their own act in the ESC. This is okay as they wouldn't vote for Mika, but other countries who appreciate him might do so.

If he did well, he'd be the one who brought the ESC back into favour in the UK. The reason UK peeps don't like it is that we never win. We've had some crud acts and rubbish songs in recent years. Mika would change all that.

The UK can't vote for their own act in the ESC. This is okay as they wouldn't vote for Mika, but other countries who appreciate him might do so.

If he did well, he'd be the one who brought the ESC back into favour in the UK. The reason UK peeps don't like it is that we never win. We've had some crud acts and rubbish songs in recent years. Mika would change all that.

I am an optimist by nature. I really, really wish that I could share your view. But I am really struggling on this one!

Anyway - what will be will be. It won't be long until we know if it if it just a rummour or is a fact. :wink2:

The reason that Dutch people don't like the esc is that it is seen as ridiculous. The act with the weirdest outfit or dance/show gets the most votes.

Hoe different that was in the past! E.g. Mocedades wit Eres Tu, such a beautuful song! But that was aaaaaages ago.

I support your thought here!! :blush-anim-cl: It's just so great to see how much you relay on MIKA and his music skill :fisch: so if this is true, and not just rumours, and he really takes part in this years ESC - I do hope you are right!!

It could wake up UK - and restart his carriere there :wub2:

Love,love

me

The reason that Dutch people don't like the esc is that it is seen as ridiculous. The act with the weirdest outfit or dance/show gets the most votes.

Hoe different that was in the past! E.g. Mocedades wit Eres Tu, such a beautuful song! But that was aaaaaages ago.

Oh yes, there were some really smashing songs in the past! :blush-anim-cl:

I will never forget Vicky Leandros and her "Apres toi" - performed for Greece in 1972 - she won, and I still get goosebumps when I hear it ( I bought the vinyl single right after, and has kept it as a good memory from my highschool days ) :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

I'm not so sure about that. I can't talk about many countries but I'm pretty sure that in France people who appreciate Mika and his music are not the ones who are fond of the Eurovision.. So he might get the votes from fans but the average Eurovision audience will continue voting for the most extravagant (and most of the time ridiculous) act regardless of their talent.

and I personally just can't see it as a positive, to see Mika associated (as a performer) in something which is laughed at and generally derided.

I completely agree with you. To me he would be out of place in there.

If that's the reality I can't imagine he'll do it then so this whole discussion has probably just been a hypothetical exercise. :naughty:

:aah: And the funny thing is that we discuss this day in and day out - and predict all kind of results for our hero - when he surely knows best himself, what to do and not to do/take part in :wink2: But I think we all do it for one reason, and the reason is that we all love him so much - and that we're united as one big MIKA family here - under the wings of MFC :wub2::thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

Even it's not important, I think I should correct myself a bit about Vicky Leandros. She was from Greece, but sung - and won - for Luxembourg :blush-anim-cl: That's the reason for the french title "Apres toi" :fisch:

love,love

me

:aah: And the funny thing is that we discuss this day in and day out - and predict all kind of results for our hero - when he surely knows best himself, what to do and not to do/take part in :wink2: But I think we all do it for one reason, and the reason is that we all love him so much - and that we're united as one big MIKA family here - under the wings of MFC :wub2::thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

This is a very sweet thought :wub2:

It is said that any public exposure is good and lots of people watch the Eurovision in many countries :naughty:

I'm all for it :thumb_yello:

I discovered Sebastien Tellier through his eurovision song and I probably wouldn't have even known him without that TV show .

It doesn't really matter who wins as long as the song and the singer travel the world through TV and gets into people' s houses and hearts . I know many people find Eurovision old fashioned but there are really some good surprises each year :thumb_yello:

And Mika would make a new song for it which would make me happy too :wub2:

Even it's not important, I think I should correct myself a bit about Vicky Leandros. She was from Greece, but sung - and won - for Luxembourg :blush-anim-cl: That's the reason for the french title "Apres toi" :fisch:

love,love

me

One of the better winners :thumb_yello:

In the ESC of old, it was really a song contest, but gradually the acts and the performances started to overshadow the song itself, and then there was the political voting ... As countries started to take it less seriously the quality of the songs deteriorated and it did become just a joke.

I think the songs have started improving again in the past few years, but I would be hard pressed to name a recent winner. The ESC winner still makes little impact in the UK charts.

One of the better winners :thumb_yello:

In the ESC of old, it was really a song contest, but gradually the acts and the performances started to overshadow the song itself, and then there was the political voting ... As countries started to take it less seriously the quality of the songs deteriorated and it did become just a joke.

I think the songs have started improving again in the past few years, but I would be hard pressed to name a recent winner. The ESC winner still makes little impact in the UK charts.

It's the same here. The last time I seriously watched this show was when I was ... 7-8 ... So, About 10 years ago. That's it.

And I have to say that Belgium won't be a threat this year :mf_rosetinted:

[YOUTUBE]XqgFla6N0E0[/YOUTUBE]

This is a very sweet thought :wub2:

It is said that any public exposure is good and lots of people watch the Eurovision in many countries :naughty:

I'm all for it :thumb_yello:

I discovered Sebastien Tellier through his eurovision song and I probably wouldn't have even known him without that TV show .

It doesn't really matter who wins as long as the song and the singer travel the world through TV and gets into people' s houses and hearts . I know many people find Eurovision old fashioned but there are really some good surprises each year :thumb_yello:

And Mika would make a new song for it which would make me happy too :wub2:

It is such a huge platform isn't it. Millions of viewers for that one show. I know some peeps who watch it in the UK, young ones too, who don't know Mika from a hole-in-the-ground atm.

At the end of the day, it's his decision whether to do it or not. But if he did, he's so gorgeous and talented that he'd get millions more fans in all countries, for his voice, his song and his looks.

It's the same here. The last time I seriously watched this show was when I was ... 7-8 ... So, About 10 years ago. That's it.

And I have to say that Belgium won't be a threat this year :mf_rosetinted:

Ummmm... :teehee: Sorry.

Though I imagine I'd think a lot of the songs were a lot worse if I watched them all

At the end of the day, it's his decision whether to do it or not. But if he did, he's so gorgeous and talented that he'd get millions more fans in all countries, for his voice, his song and his looks.

Well said, as always Marylin:thumb_yello:

For me, this might become the only reason of his participation as a contestant that justifies the means....

But I`ll be happier if he writes a song for Eurovision, without appearance onstage.

I'm not so sure about that. I can't talk about many countries but I'm pretty sure that in France people who appreciate Mika and his music are not the ones who are fond of the Eurovision.. So he might get the votes from fans but the average Eurovision audience will continue voting for the most extravagant (and most of the time ridiculous) act regardless of their talent.

But do they really do that? Well Russia last year was an example of that, but people do in fact vote for the ones with the most talent. Just look at estonia and serbia last year, great songs and nothing extravagant. And still they scored really high. And then there's the jury too. So I don't quite agree with that statement.