MIKA eyes eurovision entry

Lollipop

But do they really do that? Well Russia last year was an example of that, but people do in fact vote for the ones with the most talent. Just look at estonia and serbia last year, great songs and nothing extravagant. And still they scored really high. And then there's the jury too. So I don't quite agree with that statement.

You're right!:thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So he might get the votes from fans but the average Eurovision audience will continue voting for the most extravagant (and most of the time ridiculous) act regardless of their talent.

But do they really do that? Well Russia last year was an example of that, but people do in fact vote for the ones with the most talent. Just look at estonia and serbia last year, great songs and nothing extravagant. And still they scored really high. And then there's the jury too. So I don't quite agree with that statement.

I'm with Lilasko here. It's not that ridiculous acts are scoring high per se. Look at the Top 10 of the last contest:

[YOUTUBE]s54DWP1C3Wk[/YOUTUBE]

or from

or

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. The Russian Grannies are proving this. But all the other songs you can't call ridiculous. And even if you are ridiculous you have to be ridiculous in a good way. The other acts of last year that I would classify as really ridiculous aside from Russia - San Marino, Austria and Georgia - didn't even reach the final.

Edited by DerMoment1608

The other acts of last year that I would classify as really ridiculous aside from Russia - San Marino, Austria and Georgia - didn't even reach the final.

Weeeeeell, Austria's entry wasn't ridiculous at all :mf_rosetinted:

It was completely embarrassing...:aah:

To be fair, the esc can be a lot of fun- especially the voting, some people only watch the voting.

It just hasn't got anything to do with music.

I think voting isn't funny anymore :dunno:

It was, in earlier days, but now, with the huge amount of members, it's kind of boring only...:dunno:

Russian Grannies in 2012 weren`t ridiculous. It`s a normal folk group, they use to sing folk songs, which is not ridiculous at all. The idea to choose them for Eurovision - yes, it was strange. The song they performed - yes , it was stupid too. But not singers themselves.

Russian Grannies in 2012 weren`t ridiculous. It`s a normal folk group, they use to sing folk songs, which is not ridiculous at all. The idea to choose them for Eurovision - yes, it was strange. The song they performed - yes , it was stupid too. But not singers themselves.

The singers weren't ridiculous, but the song and the stage performance wasn't really that serious. So over all they would stick to the category of unserious contestants.

Sorry, I didn't meant the grannies themselves, it was written in the wrong way. If the would have sung a real folk song they wouldn't have been ridiculous. It was just the song and the combination of the song and the grannies.

Sorry, I didn't meant the grannies themselves, it was written in the wrong way. If the would have sung a real folk song they wouldn't have been ridiculous. It was just the song and the combination of the song and the grannies.

OK, I got it:wink2:

But regardless Eurovision or any other song contest - it`s a complicated task to find a right combination "a song- a singer- performance" etc. A little miracle should happen, you know ))

At Eurovision most songs and artists who make it to the final are totally ridiculous: most of them are just a desparate attempt to copy other songs, sounds and images and end up looking stupid. So entries who do not take themselves seriously get the :thumb_yello: from me. The grannies last year were hilarious and so was Verka from the Ukraine 5 years ago. :teehee:

It is such a huge platform isn't it. Millions of viewers for that one show. I know some peeps who watch it in the UK, young ones too, who don't know Mika from a hole-in-the-ground atm.

At the end of the day, it's his decision whether to do it or not. But if he did, he's so gorgeous and talented that he'd get millions more fans in all countries, for his voice, his song and his looks.

Agreed, doing Eurovision would get him more fans across continental Europe, by which I mean excluding the UK! Over here it would just cement him as cheesy in everyone's eyes. I mean, I love Eurovision and so do many people in the UK and I think most years there are at least a couple of really great pop songs in the competition but let's be honest, it is seen as kind of a joke here and I don't think it would do his cred -what remains of it - any good at all here.

Edited by Gatagordinha
dodgy double negative!

After what he did to Popular Song with a former Nickelodeon star I don't see why he shouldn't participate in Eurovision. Any promo would be good promo for Mika nowadays imo. And I don't think all of the songs are seen as a joke in Eurovision, I was quite proud of Sweden's contribution last year, Euphoria, it was a great song.

After what he did to Popular Song with a former Nickelodeon star I don't see why he shouldn't participate in Eurovision. Any promo would be good promo for Mika nowadays imo. And I don't think all of the songs are seen as a joke in Eurovision, I was quite proud of Sweden's contribution last year, Euphoria, it was a great song.

You don't realise how Eurovision is percieved here in the UK. Yes, it gets watched by lots of people, and gets fairly large ratings, but not totally for the right reasons. Many watch it as a source of amusement, I know this because during the 90s, that's why I did. As a kid I watched it seriously, because back then it was about the song and songwriters, but throughout the 80s it changed and started to be more about the performance on the night, which was fun,but not truly what the competition should be about, it is called the Eurovision SONG Contest after all. And yes, there are some fairly good songs that get through, but over here they are largely overlooked just to watch the "novelty" songs.

So our own entry, up til 2 years ago got picked by the public, and for a while the performance element took precedent over the song (with the exception of Katrina and The Waves which won for us in the 90s). Then suddenly the selection process was taken from the public, as the Eurovision committee decided to pick the song and performer themselves. Hence Blue (who had a fairly good following in Europe when they were together) and last year Engelbert (who has a great following in Eastern Europe, so I believe). But even though this happened in an effort to get the seriousness of pushing the song back to the forefront, lots of people here derided the fact that a former boyband, and an old man where picked to represent us.

To be honest I don't think it would matter who got picked to go to Eurovision from here, the public won't take it overly seriously, and it won't push the persons career into orbit in the UK, as the last time that actually happened here seriously was when Gina G entered in the 90s, and even that didn't keep her going for long.

Well it's not really taken seriously here either. And the only reason I watch it is because I like to get wasted and cheer for my country to win :naughty:

But if the UK aren't taking Mika serious now either way, what would it hurt for him to participate? I wouldn't mind it if he got some attention in all of Europe, who cares what some people think anyway? People are always going to be negative about artists, and like I said before I think any publicity is good publicity. :)

There is no way he's going to do it though so you can relax :naughty:

Edited by LaraMay

At Eurovision most songs and artists who make it to the final are totally ridiculous: most of them are just a desparate attempt to copy other songs, sounds and images and end up looking stupid. So entries who do not take themselves seriously get the :thumb_yello: from me. The grannies last year were hilarious and so was Verka from the Ukraine 5 years ago. :teehee:

Have you heard the news Suzie ? Unbelievable but real - Verka Serdyuchka bought Freddie Mercury`s Rolls Royce of 1975..... :protest::offtopic:

As he is doing the Seoul Jazz Festival on 17th or 18th of May we now can say for sure he won't take part as Jury Final and Final are on these two days :wink2:

Ha, you are the first who thought about the dates :thumb_yello:

Scott Mills ‏@scott_mills

It's true! Bonnie Tyler is the UK Eurovision entry. And I will be doing the semi finals on @bbcthree with Ana Matronic from Scissor Sisters

:whew: thank goodness its not Mika :whew:

You just beat me to it - I was just about to post this :

Eurovision Song Contest 2013

Country

United Kingdom

National selection

Selection process

Internal Selection[1]

Selection date(s)

7 March 2013

Selected entrant

Bonnie Tyler

Selected song

"Believe in Me"

Huge sigh of relief!:thumb_yello:

Scott Mills ‏@scott_mills

It's true! Bonnie Tyler is the UK Eurovision entry. And I will be doing the semi finals on @bbcthree with Ana Matronic from Scissor Sisters

:whew: thank goodness its not Mika :whew:

I agree with that.:hi5:

Any chance Believe in Me was written by Mika? Sounds a bit lame just by the title sadly. :teehee:

I haven't thought about Bonnie Tyler in a hundred years. I didn't even know she was British.

She's from Wales.