2008 - Reports/photos/videos/afterparty For Brixton 28-02-2008

carrinevie

I am just one of those people who starts feeling guilty and silly when she gets something that others don't. I think I better unpack my suitcase and go to bed, thinking back to the fantastic week I had. :thumb_yello:

I know exactly what you mean Blue, cause I feel the same. I'm very happy for my own high of the night, but I feel bad becuase others feel bad about it, and even worse in case anyone would think that I was in the "hogger" category, when I've always been the other extreme (gone to 13 gigs and not asking for pics, or hugs, or kisses, or even trying too hard to get to him).

Not sure if there's anything that anyone can do about it, but I'll try and focus on the positives like you say.

Ah yes, and looking at the pics of Mika with my tshirt:roftl:

Sorry, I thought this was just for after party reviews. But it's the whole night - yes Carrie?

So here goes:

I’d read some bad reports about the behaviour of the crowd in the queue and inside at this venue on Tuesday and as I was going on my own and cannot cope with unfriendliness or pushing, I had become quite nervous about the concert.

It wasn’t helped by nerves about travelling on a rail ticket issued to Rob. But that was fine~ no problems at all. So, I started my journey at the time I would normally leave for work, but this time I was going for the bus to Bolton and the train to Manchester Piccadilly. This is where I took advantage of Virgin Rail’s offer of a complimentary return first class ticket. With smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast and unlimited free drinks, I had a wonderful time.

It was easy to get to Brixton and I met Em’ as arranged in the queue.

(I met Em’ at the Mika concert in Doncaster last November, and because I knew she lived in Paris, I asked her to meet us when we holidayed there two weeks ago. She led us to the delights of a wonderful Parisienne wine bar......She had a spare ticket for this concert so it was a very last minute arrangement to what turned out to be amazing experiences.)

We all had to get numbers and raffle tickets as some people had changed the numbers on their hands at a previous concert. Em’ was 40 I think and I was 84, so obviously I couldn’t join her in the queue. To my huge relief Sparkly1 and BumblebeeVix came right after me so I had familiar faces nearby. The queue seemed very relaxed, some had slept overnight from 1:30am I believe which seemed a little OTT.

I apologise to Cynthia who arrived some time after me and went to the front of the queue but I was quickly put right – she’d been there since the start of the queuing - overnight. People were coming and going for food, toilet breaks and so on.

We gave up waiting for FreddiesDouble ever arriving (from the pub?), I left to walk to Em’s apartment where she was kindly letting me crash so that I could change and leave my bag. It was an eventful walk with an over-friendly Cuban........

but I got back to the queue to find that wrist bands had been handed out for an after-gig champagne reception. It was a lovely idea except that they hadn’t gone to the first by number and many people had just arrived and got one whereas several people notably Rose (Rak1) had missed out. People seemed to be hanging around the stage door to try and get more bands. I went to investigate and Mika arrived to do his sound check! I couldn’t get close – it was 3 or more deep, but they passed my gift forward and he managed to hold it along with the many others he was being given. I think I’ve got a half decent photo as I held my camera up and bent my arm round the doorway.

I met other people in the queue: sheena(!) Blue Avoca Allegra Kata Neeve Marilyn and her husband, bettasan, sariflor and eventually Cazgirl, FreddiesDouble and Emmylou but not Shari who sent a text to say she was ill.

Anyway, no more wrist bands materialised and Rose was dreadfully upset. I don’t know where she went but I went back to the queue. Things there had hotted up with people in the 90’s and 100’s aiming to get to the 40’s places!

Aurelian and Vix did a super job of getting rows of similar numbers together and sending others back. Sparkly1 also hoiked a few out of line and sent them back! We were told that no-one could come back to their place if they left but of course people needed the toilet and had to go. It was pretty cold and a long wait.

Finally Andy came along the line and I told him that Rose REALLY needed to be sorted out with a wrist band and that I hadn’t got one. He asked where she was but I didn’t know.

And I don’t know quite what happened about it but there were suddenly more armbands and I got one with my name on (Thanks Rose?)

It was sheer delight when Mika came on. It was basically the show I’d seen in November but with added oomph.

Absolutely everyone on stage looked delighted to be there and at ease. Luke had told us in a blog that he had family there so we gave him an extra loud cheer. Mikey looked the best I’ve seen him. Sara was just right ~ a presence on stage but not at the forefront. Cherisse and Martin were, as always, perfect.

There were the two friends for the brass on Billy Brown and Mika had fun with them, there were also 4 girls playing strings – 3 violins and a ‘cello – they also had fun, dancing along. Mika did introduce them all but I couldn’t catch any of the names.

He also told us how this night was the end of the 17 month long tour and that the dressing room was full of gifts. He read a ream of names as he thanked his crew for all their hard work.

Mikey surprised him with two enormous bouquets of flowers. I hope you've watched the YouTube vid!

There was lots of interplay and gestures between the band and Mika, once when he stopped the band playing and left just the brass. Luke interfered with Martin when he was being Grey Skelly and they just had a good time.

Cherisse did the ‘We Will Rock You’ part on the drums and had us clapping along. The drumming duet in Love Today was better than I’d ever seen with Mika looking lost standing on the drum kit while Cherisse was egging us on. It was great, obviously not so good in my description, but wonderful.

They did the shadow play and then Lollipop where Mika pulled Cynthia onto the stage while the security guy tried to hold her back. Aurelian was on the stage like a shot and most of the front row seemed to manage to scramble up and made a line with the strings girls. It was so wild I didn’t even notice the huge inflatable lollipop girl or the two in costume. The place was going mad.

Then Mika said thankyou and goodnight and they went off. But they came back to do Relax as an encore. We were singing it so loudly he let us go all the way through and then restarted so we got twice as much. Then it really was over. I scooped up the obligatory handful of confetti but I had it stuck on my chest too with the sweat!

:naughty: How about everybody dresses up in Santa costume at a gig. like hundreds of them and they all make Mika sit down while the Santa's line up for a chance to sit on his knee and have a picture and give him their gift.

Wouldn't it be great!:thumb_yello:

I know exactly what you mean Blue, cause I feel the same. I'm very happy for my own high of the night, but I feel bad becuase others feel bad about it, and even worse in case anyone would think that I was in the "hogger" category, when I've always been the other extreme (gone to 13 gigs and not asking for pics, or hugs, or kisses, or even trying too hard to get to him).

Not sure if there's anything that anyone can do about it, but I'll try and focus on the positives like you say.

Ah yes, and looking at the pics of Mika with my tshirt:roftl:

Sariflor and Blue. NO GUILT!

Nice people always feel guilty. Thay ask - do they mean me?

No

No

I was delighted for everyone who spoke to Mika. I begrudge no-one. I wish I'd had a moment, but there were too many people.

So I'm really glad to meet you, Blue.

And I'm really glad he wore your T shirt, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's amazing Sariflor.

And I'm on one of your photos. 59 out of 69? I look huge. And alone. But I was OK.

Video made from the table top: (it's a bit dark)

th_mika006.jpg

P.s That is not me shouting Essex BTW.

isn't it ?????? :blink: i could have sworn i saw you doing that... :mf_rosetinted: i didn't see the video, but if anyone is screaming "Martinique", that is NOT me, ad that person should be interned in a medical structure in my opinion...

isn't it ?????? :blink: i could have sworn i saw you doing that... :mf_rosetinted: i didn't see the video, but if anyone is screaming "Martinique", that is NOT me, ad that person should be interned in a medical structure in my opinion...

LOL I don't know anyone from Martinique:fisch:

You must have gone last night.

People said 'did you see yop?' but I didn't.

Sorry to have missed you!

x

Had a brilliant time last night, met lots of MFCers. Didn't opt for the stage area so we had tickets for the balcony. Were the first on the balcony area so had the pick of the seats, sat obviously at the front but next to the reserved seating for the bands guests.

Had a real ball duringthe show, way better than in B'ham in Nov, just based on engery of the whole place etc etc.

Saw Mika's mum, sister, (brother i think?) and the older ladies from the GK video who by the way were really rocking to the show!!!

Didn't get to go to the afterparty but sill hold out hopes to meet Mika one day.

One funny point in the queue outside was when Martin went wandering down the street without anyone noticing him. We called and said Hi, he said helo back and waived. A couple of mins later he was walking back up again, agin unnoticed. We asked him if he was lost and he cracked up and said it was a long story......then came back down the street with his wife .

Great day, amazing show, cant wait for Paris in the summer!

Andreax

Gah, I have a feeing I'm gonna write a massve report when I only intend it to be short-ish. Never mind though. I'll upload photos tomorrow and post a link. I seem to have quite a lot of the trash can solo, even though my battery was practically dead. This may or may not be related to Mika's lack of shirt, I shan't say.

Anyway, got to Brixton at about 5ish, waited in the queue, did a bit of chatting, got shocked when I looked up at the sky one minute and looked up the next and it was dark. Got inside, went and got a hoody, dumped bags in the cloakroom and went into the venue.

I got fairly close to the front, dead central (although some spanish lads went unde the built in bar that I was leaning on and they were really tall so I was a bit grrr about that) but it wasa pretty goo view. Waited around for Royworld (or whatever they're called), thought they were ok, nothing special, set seemed to go quickly which was a blessing because opening acts that drag out are torture. Waited impatiently to hear the sounds of 9-5 and went absolutely mental when I finally heard it, then Mika came out, yadda yadda yadda, the end.

JOKING.

I'm not gonna go through every song, because I can't be bothered (and I'm sure people have already said much more interesting things than what I've said). I noticed that the setlist was a bit different to before, and it made a nice change. His voice was absolutey spectacular, seriously, it was amazing. He worked the crowd so wonderfully as well. Not even one song in and they were putty in his hands. It was really amazing to be able to appreciate that while you're in there, and realise that you're also in the big mess of putty that he keeps moulding and shaping to his liking.

I didn't manage to catch muh of what he said in between songs, I have terrible hearing when there's background noise, so I guess I'll have to catch up on youtube.

It was really brilliant when Mikey took the mic from Saranayde and did his little "ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mika bit. His face was priceless. I got all emotional (which is amazing because I'm not really one to have feelings...) and it was just amazing. Then they did Happy Ending and that made me even more emotional, which is just plain rude. There were no tears though, I'm not talking that sot of emotional, I'm talking lump in the throat, stomach clenching emotional.

Love Today was fabulous. The drum solo ws so good. Lots of fake jealousy over Cherisse's unrivalled drum talent which was completely adorable, and it was just so SO good.

Lollipop was fantastic. I can't believe BRIXTON let people on stage., BRIXTON, of all places. I was actually astonished. So annoyed though, because I caught a balloon right near the end (because it's a bit cruel to hang onto one while the song's in ful swing) and some bke knocked it out of my hands - I don't know whether on purpose or not, but everyone was laughing at my clenched fists expression of anger. Not proper anger though, cos it is just a balloon, more shock at how someone could be so rude and horrid.

The relax encore was brilliant. I thought it was amazing how when they pulled the plug on his mic the audience started singing for him and peer pressure made them switch it back on.

So yeah, fast forward two hours which consisted of "I'm cold, I'm really annoyed now, I wanna go home, I wanna go to bed" etc etc from m best friend, and Mika came out. He signed my ticket, I asked if he was playing glastonbury and he said "no, not this year" and then gave me back my ticket, I said thanks, smiled ad then moved away and trotted off home as happy as anything.

Didn't even mind the fifty quid cab fare to get back to East London cos all the tube stations were closed. And it's pretty reasonable considering it could have cost twice that, had I gone with a different firm.

So yeah, my face is hurting from smiling (24 hours later), people are sick of me saying "I met Mika this morning" and my ears are still ringing and I've had three hours sleep and a full day of work followed by an evening out so I'm officially wrecked, but I'm still smiling, and will be for good few months yet.

Pictures to come tomorrow. Oh, and a video of Any Other World.

Apologies if this is long and unnecessary, and fogive any typos, my keyboard's acting up.

Sariflor and Blue. NO GUILT!

Nice people always feel guilty. Thay ask - do they mean me?

No

No

I was delighted for everyone who spoke to Mika. I begrudge no-one. I wish I'd had a moment, but there were too many people.

So I'm really glad to meet you, Blue.

And I'm really glad he wore your T shirt, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's amazing Sariflor.

And I'm on one of your photos. 59 out of 69? I look huge. And alone. But I was OK.

Thanks Ruth:wub2:. But worry not, you can't look worse than me in the pics!!! and I didn't even have the presence of mind to try and look a bit "normal" for my pictures,lol, so not only do I look sweaty, but I look like a sweaty freak.

Had a brilliant time last night, met lots of MFCers. Didn't opt for the stage area so we had tickets for the balcony. Were the first on the balcony area so had the pick of the seats, sat obviously at the front but next to the reserved seating for the bands guests.

Had a real ball duringthe show, way better than in B'ham in Nov, just based on engery of the whole place etc etc.

Saw Mika's mum, sister, (brother i think?) and the older ladies from the GK video who by the way were really rocking to the show!!!

Didn't get to go to the afterparty but sill hold out hopes to meet Mika one day.

One funny point in the queue outside was when Martin went wandering down the street without anyone noticing him. We called and said Hi, he said helo back and waived. A couple of mins later he was walking back up again, agin unnoticed. We asked him if he was lost and he cracked up and said it was a long story......then came back down the street with his wife .

Great day, amazing show, cant wait for Paris in the summer!

Andreax

Hey, it was very nice meeting you! I hope Nando's was ok:naughty:.Everything seemed a bit questionable in the area,hehe.

Gah, I have a feeing I'm gonna write a massve report when I only intend it to be short-ish. Never mind though. I'll upload photos tomorrow and post a link. I seem to have quite a lot of the trash can solo, even though my battery was practically dead. This may or may not be related to Mika's lack of shirt, I shan't say.

Anyway, got to Brixton at about 5ish, waited in the queue, did a bit of chatting, got shocked when I looked up at the sky one minute and looked up the next and it was dark. Got inside, went and got a hoody, dumped bags in the cloakroom and went into the venue.

I got fairly close to the front, dead central (although some spanish lads went unde the built in bar that I was leaning on and they were really tall so I was a bit grrr about that) but it wasa pretty goo view. Waited around for Royworld (or whatever they're called), thought they were ok, nothing special, set seemed to go quickly which was a blessing because opening acts that drag out are torture. Waited impatiently to hear the sounds of 9-5 and went absolutely mental when I finally heard it, then Mika came out, yadda yadda yadda, the end.

JOKING.

Thanks a lot for your report. :thumb_yello: They are never too long for me!!!:wink2: