Go to MikaSounds - Blog Updates Thread (Part 4)

Fmbm

I think this is going to be a pretty rowdy bunch but I hope that is more comforting than intidimating. One of the reasons it's easy to meet people at the gigs is because there's so much going on and no one is the focus of attention (until Mika makes his entrance of course).

There certainly seems to be such a mixture of people coming that I'm sure all the new people will find someone who they get on well with. And old members too

I think this may extend to other areas beyond his show and his recordings. At this point in his career it could become crippling because he doesn't have the time to do it all himself. And he really shouldn't be concerning himself with some of these details beyond hiring people he can trust to execute his ideas properly.

True- I hope it doesn't come to that- it'd be a real waste of his talents.

Hopefully it's just a matter of inexperience, and as grows he'll need less control, and might even learn to feed off other people's ideas.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully it's just a matter of inexperience, and as grows he'll need less control, and might even learn to feed off other people's ideas.

My sense is that it isn't a matter of ideas. He collaborates with others all the time (on his own projects, not just theirs) so he is clearly seeking input of ideas from others. I think he is preoccupied with things being executed perfectly.

My sense is that it isn't a matter of ideas. He collaborates with others all the time (on his own projects, not just theirs) so he is clearly seeking input of ideas from others. I think he is preoccupied with things being executed perfectly.

True. Probably even things that really don't matter. Though to some extent I think "perfectly" means "the way I first imagined it". It's certainly a trait that could paralyse his whole career. And he knows he has it... Do you think he talks as if it's a good thing or a bad thing?

Sorry for spoiling the fun buy I had understood people wanted to have the "post your picture thread" in the members only section so that they wouldn't have their face spread all over the forum for strangers to see... Does the girl know about this and is she OK with you posting her pic like this?

True. Probably even things that really don't matter. Though to some extent I think "perfectly" means "the way I first imagined it".

Let's take something very simple as an example - Mika, Mikey (and later Saranayde) began doing some butt shaking on stage during Big Girl. This may have been Mika's idea, Mikey's idea, the idea of some other person in the crew. Or more likely they were just goofing around during rehearsals or a show when it first happened.

But what was initially probably some playful interaction with the band members has become a choreographed routine timed down to the second. They gather together and Mika visibly counts down with his fingers and only when he is finished do they start the butt shaking so it is perfectly synchronized.

I suppose this kind of choreography is to be expected of a production like Mika's and that is one of the down sides of being in the front row and witnessing this kind of magic-killing moment up close.

But I think he could still leave room in his show for some planned spontaneity if you know what I mean. Just some moments between songs where it's not important to say and do things that have been pre-rehearsed.

He appears to let all hell break loose during Lollipop but lollipop_monkey was saying that Yasmine told her to be sure to lift up her skirts because Mika likes to see the whites of the petticoats on stage. :blink:

:naughty:

It's certainly a trait that could paralyse his whole career. And he knows he has it... Do you think he talks as if it's a good thing or a bad thing?

Well I get the impression it's a burden on him, but I'm not sure if he recognizes that it's a self fulfilling prophecy based on his own issues or if he blames other people in part for not being reliable.

He has said he is constantly worrying and checking to see that other people are doing their jobs. But if you insist on micro managing people they will require micro management in order to get anything done.

Let's take something very simple as an example - Mika, Mikey (and later Saranayde) began doing some butt shaking on stage during Big Girl. This may have been Mika's idea, Mikey's idea, the idea of some other person in the crew. Or more likely they were just goofing around during rehearsals or a show when it first happened.

But what was initially probably some playful interaction with the band members has become a choreographed routine timed down to the second. They gather together and Mika visibly counts down with his fingers and only when he is finished do they start the butt shaking so it is perfectly synchronized.

I suppose this kind of choreography is to be expected of a production like Mika's and that is one of the down sides of being in the front row and witnessing this kind of magic-killing moment up close.

But I think he could still leave room in his show for some planned spontaneity if you know what I mean. Just some moments between songs where it's not important to say and do things that have been pre-rehearsed.

He appears to let all hell break loose during Lollipop but lollipop_monkey was saying that Yasmine told her to be sure to lift up her skirts because Mika likes to see the whites of the petticoats on stage. :blink:

:naughty:

Well I get the impression it's a burden on him, but I'm not sure if he recognizes that it's a self fulfilling prophecy based on his own issues or if he blames other people in part for not being reliable.

He has said he is constantly worrying and checking to see that other people are doing their jobs. But if you insist on micro managing people they will require micro management in order to get anything done.

I'm with you on the whole spontaneity thing, it only seems to happen when he gets things wrong, like at Amsterdam at the start of My Interpretation, which was unfortunate, but so funny at the same time. He can be funny, wish we could see it more often.

And what you say about his constant worrying, this was highlighted at the PDP show, when we heard he didn't sleep the night before because he was worried things would go wrong. And that he was so relieved afterwards when it all went right.

This, if he continues to carry on with it, is going to burn him out. He needs to step back and give himself some breathing space.

Theres nothing wrong with delegating some of the work.

I'm with you on the whole spontaneity thing, it only seems to happen when he gets things wrong, like at Amsterdam at the start of My Interpretation, which was unfortunate, but so funny at the same time. He can be funny, wish we could see it more often.

And what you say about his constant worrying, this was highlighted at the PDP show, when we heard he didn't sleep the night before because he was worried things would go wrong. And that he was so relieved afterwards when it all went right.

This, if he continues to carry on with it, is going to burn him out. He needs to step back and give himself some breathing space.

Theres nothing wrong with delegating some of the work.

If things do go a bit wrong, no one would want to shoot him. I'm a preacher, and the mike I was wearing fell off when I was getting ready to receive the collection. Someone just ran up and whispered "Marilyn", and I realised what had happened. I laughed and so did everyone else.

People realise when you are out there doing your best. Some mishaps are endearing and usually remembered more fondly than the flawless moments.

I agree completely. Mika needs to stop worrying so much. He should remember that everyone in the audiance loves him, and he could forget every word to Grace Kelly, and the only thing that would happen is, everyone would sing it to him and be really happy to have helped him out, and love him all the more!

:roftl: Yes I know it's an oxymoron. But I think it's a happy medium because there are some elements in the show that do have to be planned and executed properly to some degree.

I also think that he shouldn't just start a casual chit chat with the audience between Relax and Big Girl or between Love Today and Grace Kelly because it will disrupt a momentum he has going with his energy level and the energy of the audience.

The band gave him flowers at the last Brixton gig - I think just before Happy Ending. And it was already a down period and the string section was moving about, etc. There was room to breathe. But Mika seemed very out of sorts with the unexpected interruption with the flowers and quickly blew the whole thing off and got back to business even though the audience was enjoying the moment.

There are times when he can stop and just chat to the band or the audience or say whatever is on his mind without resorting to a script he's used dozens of times already. Other performers, big and small, do it all the time and Mika has done it in the past. The two things I remember most from the early Toronto show were both unrehearsed topics even if he had planned to stop and speak at some points during the show.

:roftl: Yes I know it's an oxymoron. But I think it's a happy medium because there are some elements in the show that do have to be planned and executed properly to some degree.

I also think that he shouldn't just start a casual chit chat with the audience between Relax and Big Girl or between Love Today and Grace Kelly because it will disrupt a momentum he has going with his energy level and the energy of the audience.

The band gave him flowers at the last Brixton gig - I think just before Happy Ending. And it was already a down period and the string section was moving about, etc. There was room to breathe. But Mika seemed very out of sorts with the unexpected interruption with the flowers and quickly blew the whole thing off and got back to business even though the audience was enjoying the moment.

There are times when he can stop and just chat to the band or the audience or say whatever is on his mind without resorting to a script he's used dozens of times already. Other performers, big and small, do it all the time and Mika has done it in the past. The two things I remember most from the early Toronto show were both unrehearsed topics even if he had planned to stop and speak at some points during the show.

i love the open fly planned trick, how could you take him seriously when you know about that?lmao

... But what was initially probably some playful interaction with the band members has become a choreographed routine timed down to the second. They gather together and Mika visibly counts down with his fingers and only when he is finished do they start the butt shaking so it is perfectly synchronized.

It's obviously worse than I thought- though you won't get any sympathy from me about being too close! It really is a shame, and I hope he outgrows his fixation with control.

He can be sponaneously funny, sometimes I just think he doesn't know it.

At the first M gig I attended (last year around this time :wub2:) he tripped over the cable of his mic in between two songs and then began to wind it up saying: "Each night when I'm sleeping this wire grows longer and longer and longer until one day I will strangle myself with it...' It's not so funny just reading it but when he said it, dragging that cable over the stage, it was just so hilarious. :lmfao: I don't think he did the same thing at one of the other gigs, it seemed very spontaneous.

Also, just to get rid of it, those first two of his gigs I attended had something I fear I will never see again - that expression of both, total disbelief and pure joy in his face. I'm glad to have 'caught' him in what I call the end stadium of the beginning, as I haven't seen him like this afterwards - neither in London nor at the Amsterdam gig, where routine had taken over.

Nobody is here, what´s the matter?

I saw at the TV in the news the fire around LA and want to know, if we must be worry about Mika? ( Sorry for my bad English, but it is late and I´m tired)

Don't worry. The fires aren't near LA :wink2:

Nobody is here, what´s the matter?

I saw at the TV in the news the fire around LA and want to know, if we must be worry about Mika? ( Sorry for my bad English, but it is late and I´m tired)

I know! You were the first post since yesterday morning!!! :shocked:

What's up with that? :naughty:

I'm sure he's fine.:wink2: