What Do You Guys Think Of The New Songs?

Toy Boy and Blame it on the Girls were my favourites by far, but I know that it will be different to hear the recorded versions vs. hearing them live. He was VERY interactive with us for Blame it on the Girls - in a SITM kind of way - so it was tons of fun to have that energy going back and forth between him and the audience. I think he was also thrilled to be able to generate so much audience participation on a song we were hearing for the first time... it spells good things for the song's future!

Toy Boy was incredible live, because you could tell how much it meant to him and how he was really hoping to get a good reaction (which he did). In my mind it was obvious that was the song that meant the most to him to be well received. He put out a lot of emotion and energy with every word, and delivered each line very purposefully. It was also so good to hear it before anyone knew the lyrics, so that you could really hear it the way he wants it to be heard, without other random voices singing along. .Like he said "I don't mean to be a d*ck but please be quiet - this one's all about the lyrics".

Good Girl Gone and Blue Eyes were good, but to me they were just ok in comparison to Blame it and TB. I might have a totally different reaction when I hear the recorded versions and also have the lyrics in front of me, but I didn't get as excited about them. I find it really interesting that so many of you loved Good Girl Gone though! Maybe I should take another listen.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am already addicted to good Gone Girl! This one should be the first single imo! I know the videos from the concert are not so clear and they have been removed now, but I have enjoyed listening to all the songs.

So GGG is my favourite one of all up to now. It is absolutely fantastic and would make a great summer hit!

Toy Boy is very funny and the tune is great. What I love about this one the most though, is the fact that it's set lower than many songs Mika sings. People need to know how unique Mika's voice is in any key and any octave! This song proves that his voical range is the greatest vocal range on the planet, because those low notes sound so gorgeous!

Blame It On The Girls is another catchy song like GGG. Its obviously the clap clap song from the vlog! It is really good with the flamenco beat. Another great dance tune.

Blue Eyes. Well I couldn't hear that very well, but the hook was really lovely. Actually, that's what is so great about Mika's work. His hooks are so catchy, you get them right away! I think Blue eyes will be a favourite on the album and yes, it does seem like a love song.

Rain was not played at the gig, but I think the improvements to it on the vlog are great. I think it will be a wonderful song on the album.

I'm looking forward to hearing the other songs from the vlogs. The album is going to be great!

Toy Boy was incredible live, because you could tell how much it meant to him and how he was really hoping to get a good reaction (which he did). In my mind it was obvious that was the song that meant the most to him to be well received. He put out a lot of emotion and energy with every word, and delivered each line very purposefully. It was also so good to hear it before anyone knew the lyrics, so that you could really hear it the way he wants it to be heard, without other random voices singing along. .Like he said "I don't mean to be a d*ck but please be quiet - this one's all about the lyrics".

I think you are absolutely right with this one..

Good Girl Gone and Blue Eyes were good, but to me they were just ok in comparison to Blame it and TB. I might have a totally different reaction when I hear the recorded versions and also have the lyrics in front of me, but I didn't get as excited about them. I find it really interesting that so many of you loved Good Girl Gone though! Maybe I should take another listen.

I think Good Girl Gone can be an easy No 1 but Blame it on the Girls has a '9 -week No 1' potential..

I love them all but can't find any video's that haven't been removed. The sound of these new songs seems different, he uses lower keys more, like in Toy Boy, which is one of my favorites. :thumb_yello:

I haven't read this thread comepletely, so I'm not sure if this point has been brought up already but...

I think the Disney inspired song where he talks about Cinderella and how imitated the birds with the flutes, is Toy Boy.

OMG I'm right!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just watched to the video blog again where he plays it and if you turn your sound up you can hear him start to sing "she's the meanest hag..." then you see him click something to turn it off. :groupwave:

I really like the new songs..I was ready to NOT like them, if you understand what I mean..I wanted to like them for the right reasons not just because I felt I SHOULD like them, so I was so relieved when I did genuinely enjoy them first time of hearing!:wub2:

Toy Boy..mesmerising performance, and I can see what Zoots means about him really wanting that song to make an impression at the gig. Great lyrics, almost certainly his best to date, and sweet melody. He does that innocent/dark/ happy/sad thing so perfectly! You are laughing one minute..then when he sings 'now he's so afraid of me' it literally brings a tear to your eye!! That's true artistic talent :wub2:. And it IS definitely the cinderella song from the vlog, I'm intrigued to hear the album version in full now!

Blame it: I really liked the vlog snippet of this, but for some reason the full live version just didn't quite click for me..even though I actually have it in my head right now :naughty: and I am sure the album version will be better, and make perfect sense! Still a good song though.

Blue Eyes: Love the verse, and the latino feel (or is it lovers rock? or country? I can't make my mind up!), not so keen on the chorus, but choruses are overrated in my opinion :mf_rosetinted::naughty:see Rain :bleh:

Good Gone Girl: left this till last because, although at FIRST it wasn't my favourite, it now is, and I am completely convinced it will be the first single and a HUGE hit this summer!! It has at least three distinct hooks in it, interesting lyrics (though indistinct so far) and the feel good factor, and it rolls along in a Grace Kelly sort of way. This could be his next GK!

8.5 out of 10

:mf_rosetinted:

basing merely on the clips from the LA secret gig:

so far, I don't like any of the new songs. :boxed:

I liked the lyrics of toy boy kindly transcribed on forum, till 3/4 my way through them, then I got seriously disappointed.

I'm in a very low mika period.. :boxed:

on the other hand, I beyond adore rain (see sig) and all the songs in the music blogs, though they do include the clap song that possibly sounded better to me in that bit, or in a non acoustic version. :boxed:

*goes in a corner and cries* :tears:

first;

i'm in LOVE with toy boy. i originally didnt think much of the disney feel but together - i can't see it as a no-1 but i can see it as my favorite song for a long time to come.

blame it on the girls - heck, that song could do well. i agree live didnt do it justice but i believe the recorded version will be phunkay.

rain - beautiful. :wub2: i love that song too. not much to add on rain - its catchy, beautiful, i see it as the next 'relax take it easy'.

blue eyes. um. my opinion on this song is still very um. but i haven't heard much of it so i dunno :blink:

and good gone girl.. i dont get what the hype is, i don't see anything special in that song, but thta quite possibly due to the recording i've heard is crap. but i'm gonna go see if i can hear a better recording.

You, know I love all the songs...though you can't hear much of the lyrics:naughty: , but I want to listen for the n'th time LICM these days and try to figure out whether the songs have gotten any better...I read somewhere that they're not so Mikaish anymore and I don't want to believe that :no: so I guess I just need my LICM to think clearly...:blush-anim-cl: in my opinion...he has somehow got to a higher level...he clearly feels better on stage, more free, and he looks very confident.

The clapping song reminds me of Lollipop, Good Gone Girl reminds me of Big Girl or Stuck in the middle, Toy Boy obviously about Billy Brown, Rain about Relax and Blue eyes it's a first to be honest...nothing like what he has previously done...it sounds like a vacation song something...:naughty:

that's pretty much what I think...probably it sounds really Mikaish and nothing more after all...

A bientot,

Bianca

xx

I agree that Toy Boy is brilliant -- lyrically interesting, as well as musically.

And I also agree that it is the Disney/Kurt Weill tune he played the snippets

of in the vlog. I think it's going to sound unbelievable with the full

orchestration. Will it ever be a single? Doubt it, as the lyrics are rather

dodgy, just like Billy Brown. But will it be a fan favorite? Undoubtedly.

Blue Eyes initially struck me as missing something, but the more I've

listened to it, the more it's grown on me. I really love the lyrics on this,

and watching Mika's face as he sings "sorrow is so peculiar, one day it

comes and it never leaves you..." well, the expression made me sit up

and pay more attention to the lyrics. Yes, it's definitely grown on me.

Good Gone Girl is a great tune, I'm just bothered by the title, the

order of the words :naughty: It's the obsessive-compulsive in me, maybe,

but the words in that order do not make sense to me -- Girl Gone Good

I get. Good Girl Gone I get. Good Gone Girl I don't get. However, that said,

the tune is catchy and I can imagine it as a hit single blasting from my

radio -- I have always loved a song with a lot of "oooh ooohs" in the chorus!

:thumb_yello:

Finally -- Blame it on the Girls. There aren't enough words to express how

much I love this song. I got really excited when I heard that little snippet

in the vlog, and hearing the entire thing -- well, I just love it. As I've

said elsewhere, it is stuck in my head, just like Grace Kelly was a few years

ago when I began this whole crazy Mika ride. I love the lyrics, I love

thinking about what the lyrics mean, I love the clapping, I love the piano,

I love the way Mika moves when he's playing it *gush gush gush gush gush*

I just love the song. Love it. :wub2:

As for Rain, I was a little disappointed not to hear it from the gig, but I'm

very anxious to heare the album version! Can't wait to hear the entire

album in fact -- can NOT believe we have to wait until the fall. BUT it

does sound like we will have something new (an EP) in the interim, so that

will help, for sure.

basing merely on the clips from the LA secret gig:

so far, I don't like any of the new songs.

I liked the lyrics of toy boy kindly transcribed on forum, till 3/4 my way through them, then I got seriously disappointed.

I'm in a very low mika period..

on the other hand, I beyond adore rain (see sig) and all the songs in the music blogs, though they do include the clap song that possibly sounded better to me in that bit, or in a non acoustic version. :boxed:

*goes in a corner and cries* :tears:

:shocked:

I'm sure Mika will not let you down, avoca -- when you hear the whole

album, or maybe even by the time the EP comes out, you'll be fully

Mika-charged again!

:huglove:

Toy Boy and Blame it on the Girls were my favourites by far, but I know that it will be different to hear the recorded versions vs. hearing them live. He was VERY interactive with us for Blame it on the Girls - in a SITM kind of way - so it was tons of fun to have that energy going back and forth between him and the audience. I think he was also thrilled to be able to generate so much audience participation on a song we were hearing for the first time... it spells good things for the song's future!

I just had to quote this post, as I absolutely could have not written it better myself.

Your post expresses EXACTLY how I felt about the new songs, and particularly about ToyBoy. I am SO SO SO obsessed with that song already!

The way the mellody goes, his voice changing tones all the time, his facial expressions, the way he's playing with the lyrics...It's pure genius :mf_lustslow:.

My third favourite is Blue Eyes, which I love, cause it sounds a bit Bob Dylanesque, and I must admit that Good Gone Girl does absolutely nothing for me.

I don't find it bad, at all, but it just didn't grip me at the gig or when I watch the videos. Not sure why that is, but I just don't 'get' it, and I hope that this is one of the ones that he is changing a little.

Toy Boy is very funny and the tune is great. What I love about this one the most though, is the fact that it's set lower than many songs Mika sings. People need to know how unique Mika's voice is in any key and any octave! This song proves that his voical range is the greatest vocal range on the planet, because those low notes sound so gorgeous!

Yes, I absolutely agree 100%. This is probably one of the reasons why I love this song so much: we hear the beautiful Mika voice that we miss otherwise when he focuses solely on falsetto (which IMO was a bit too present on LICM)

A bit of falsetto I find ok, but a lot is just boring and tiresome.

Goodness I can't wait for the rest now :roftl:. I'm SO fookin excited!!

just now I'm most fascinated by Toy Boy, but this is partly due to the fact that the sound quality from the video footage can't really do the other songs justice (no offense meant! it's not the fault of any of you who filmed, it's just for technical reasons).

Just as Mika said, Toy Boy is wonderfully suited for acoustic gigs, very clear and easy to understand (acoustically). Its perfect comedy, enables him to sit at the piano and still play with the audience. All the Oh's and Ah's and the laughs from the audience show how well it works as a story-telling song, he makes you see pictures (innocent and not so innocent ones) while he's leading you through the scenes, making sure that you don't drift off too far by adding a new twist every few lines.

In a way this song does not only tell the story of a 'wonderful plaything', the song itself actually IS a wonderful plaything. Well done :kachinga:

I'm looking forward to Mika's drawings of Toy Boy, he'll be a wonderful add to the world of 'Mika charakters', hand in hand with Lollipop Girl, Billy Brown and the rest of the lot :wub2:

after listening to all the songs again... :wub2:

i decided to go back and listen to the vlogs

everything makes sense now! :punk:

i am sooooooooo looking forward to this new album!

ohhhhhhh i need a life!!! :bleh:

i did the same :naughty:

now i understand! :doh:

Blue Eyes is really growing on me.. :wub2:

I just had to quote this post, as I absolutely could have not written it better myself.

Your post expresses EXACTLY how I felt about the new songs, and particularly about ToyBoy. I am SO SO SO obsessed with that song already!

The way the mellody goes, his voice changing tones all the time, his facial expressions, the way he's playing with the lyrics...It's pure genius :mf_lustslow:.

My third favourite is Blue Eyes, which I love, cause it sounds a bit Bob Dylanesque, and I must admit that Good Gone Girl does absolutely nothing for me.

I don't find it bad, at all, but it just didn't grip me at the gig or when I watch the videos. Not sure why that is, but I just don't 'get' it, and I hope that this is one of the ones that he is changing a little.

Yes, I absolutely agree 100%. This is probably one of the reasons why I love this song so much: we hear the beautiful Mika voice that we miss otherwise when he focuses solely on falsetto (which IMO was a bit too present on LICM)

Yes I think Mika should do more low songs. He's got a lower register to die for. If you listen to toy Boy, there are parts where he goes really low, yet those notes are as clear as any others. His high falsetto makes my spine tinglw, and his lower register makes me melt! How amazing is our Mika?

I'm also glad that he's doing the accustic gigs, because it's ALL about his voice and his music, with no other technology, or distractions.

I didn't doubt Mika's new music for a second. I was a little scared before hearing the new songs because I was so used to and in love with his first album that I had no idea what to expect for these new songs.

They blew me away, I still get goosebumps. Even after hearing them about 19 times each.

I knew Mika wouldn't let us down :)

*toy boy-I like it veeeery much,music,actually the rhythm is fantastic but it's really hard 4 me to understand what's he saying :biggrin2:

*clap song-LOVE rhythm as well,SO much,but i REALLY need lyrics:roftl:

**and other 2-i really dont have nerves to listen to them bcs i cant understand whats he singing and i want to wait for the right version bcs demo I do not really like.

These 2 r not distinguished by anything to me right now...

-but i know i'll love them with whole music mix ect :original:

Yes, I absolutely agree 100%. This is probably one of the reasons why I love this song so much: we hear the beautiful Mika voice that we miss otherwise when he focuses solely on falsetto (which IMO was a bit too present in LICM)

Ok, after further listens to Good Gone Girl, I think that I know what it is.

I like the song, except for the bridge. Also, during the gig I found that the drums were waaaaay too loud for this song, so you could hardly hear him sing, and that made it lose a lot of the magic. Basically, the music was drowning the singing.

Oh, and I also found that his singing during the bridge felt a bit too 'rushed', like he was in a hurry or something, and not paying enough attention to the words or feeling the music and the song.

I suppose that, as I'm being critical, I could also say that I don't quite like the "Her name was Georgia and she was gorgeous" part. I really find it way too simplistic, and think that Mika could come up with something A LOT better than that.

So that is my verdict :naughty:

I agree with Sara about the Georgia part. But he tweet and said there were lyrics scrapped and changed, so maybe that part is changed aswell? Let's be hopeful, and otherwise..otherwise we just need to live with it:naughty:

TRANSPORTED!

pickle.190_cityroom.jpg

My command of the forums hasn't improved one iota :rolleyes: ...

I was peacefully browsing them when I came across a new thread started by a male MFCer -good from time to time to see pants among so many miniskirts- to tell one another what we thought of the new songs.

Guess what ? I've lost trace of it :mad: !

So I am using this thread, not exactly off topic and who knows, a charitable mod will perhaps use her magic wand to move my post to the place it belongs :wink2: ?

'Toy boy' touched me deeply.

It's so typical : poignant lyrics on happy music. That hasn't changed, even if what we have heard so far may have surprised us but in a very positive way. Still we were expecting to be surprised in a very positive way so it's not really a surprise... am I making sense :confused: ?

Marie-Thérèse

:thumb_yello: Edited by A. Clay

Ok, after further listens to Good Gone Girl, I think that I know what it is.

I like the song, except for the bridge. Also, during the gig I found that the drums were waaaaay too loud for this song, so you could hardly hear him sing, and that made it lose a lot of the magic. Basically, the music was drowning the singing.

Oh, and I also found that his singing during the bridge felt a bit too 'rushed', like he was in a hurry or something, and not paying enough attention to the words or feeling the music and the song.

I suppose that, as I'm being critical, I could also say that I don't quite like the "Her name was Georgia and she was gorgeous" part. I really find it way too simplistic, and think that Mika could come up with something A LOT better than that.

So that is my verdict :naughty:

Watching your video of this song I can totally understand where you're coming from on this one. In the version I managed to download before it was removed the lyrics are unintelligible, but in your video it is almost impossible to even hear him singing over the rest of the things going on. I'm looking forward to a version where we can actually hear the lyrics!

Edited by 77red