Interview in German magazine "Jetzt"

mellody

just found this interview: http://jetzt.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/482857, published 2 days ago.

don't have time for a detailled translation now, but to give you a general overview, they visit him at home and describe how he lives in the basement of his parent's house, and he says he's not mummy's boy but just had no time to find his own place yet. and they write that he had fish and broccoli for breakfast. urgh. :naughty:

in the interview he says that success changed him in the way that he has become even more reclusive and more cautious than he already was, and that he needs this for being creative and writing songs and something about that his songs are more mysterious if he doesn't reveal too much about himself.

then he talks about the song "i see you", that it's about him falling in love with someone he doesn't know and is too shy to talk to, so he just stares. and that he imagines how it could be and creates really hot movies in his head (:das:), so when he sees this person for the 2nd time it's almost like a 2nd date, although he just stares.

he says he does have sort of a love life, but he isn't proud of it cause he isn't able to establish a steady relationship. he says he might just not be made for that, and that in any case he would protect his relationship, there wouldn't be press pix and homestories.

they ask him why he doesn't say whether he's gay or not, and he says cause it doesn't make a difference for him. the last question is about "blame it on the girls", whether it's about him or someone in the music industry, and he answers by stating that all the other musicians and pop stars are stupid, cause they all pretend to be someone they're not and there's no real friendship in the music industry.

this as a short summary, maybe someone else on here has time to translate word by word? :wink2:

edit: here's the link to the full translation by harlequeen (thanx for that! :flowers2:): http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2444891&postcount=16 - or just click to page 2 of this thread. :wink2:

Edited by mellody

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then he talks about the song "i see you", that it's about him falling in love with someone he doesn't know and is too shy to talk to, so he just stares. and that he imagines how it could be and creates really hot movies in his head (:das:), so when he sees this person for the 2nd time it's almost like a 2nd date, although he just stares.

That's the exact same thing that happened to me this year. :tears:

Question: if he was to shy to the person, when he sees them again...how would it be like a second date? The first date was already created in his head or something..?

Question: if he was to shy to the person, when he sees them again...how would it be like a second date? The first date was already created in his head or something..?

Yes he already hinted around at that in the Observer interview. That he had relationships in his head.

Thanks for posting Mellody. I would love to hear a transcription if anyone has the time :bow:

I am sensing some contradictions here, although it probably has nothing to do with the translation and is just the usual Mika nonsense. :aah:

just found this interview: http://jetzt.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/482857, published 2 days ago.

don't have time for a detailled translation now, but to give you a general overview, they visit him at home and describe how he lives in the basement of his parent's house, and he says he's not mummy's boy but just had no time to find his own place yet. and they write that he had fish and broccoli for breakfast. urgh. :naughty:

in the interview he says that success changed him in the way that he has become even more reclusive and more cautious than he already was, and that he needs this for being creative and writing songs and something about that his songs are more mysterious if he doesn't reveal too much about himself.

he says he does have sort of a love life, but he isn't proud of it cause he isn't able to establish a steady relationship. he says he might just not be made for that, and that in any case he would protect his relationship, there wouldn't be press pix and homestories.

they ask him why he doesn't say whether he's gay or not, and he says cause it doesn't make a difference for him. the last question is about "blame it on the girls", whether it's about him or someone in the music industry, and he answers by stating that all the other musicians and pop stars are stupid, cause they all pretend to be someone they're not and there's no real friendship in the music industry.

this as a short summary, maybe someone else on here has time to translate word by word? :wink2:

Thank you for posting mellody:wub2:

I know how the bold part feels, unfortunately:sad: I like the story.:wub2:

And I love what he says on the last paragraph of your summary:biggrin2:

I think about being cautious, he just HAS to be and I like how he won't show off parts of his private life. Most people give in to that and then the press wants to dig more and more and it's just a disaster.

I'll give it a try, if my english is strange, feel free to laugh :teehee:

"I'm not a mummy boy!"

Text: steffen-Ruether Photo: Julian Broad

The British singer Mika still lives with his parents. A visit to his room.

The meeting place for an interview with Mica Penniman is unusual: Mika's room. The 25-year-old son of a Lebanese and an American occupies the basement of his parents house in London's upmarket/noble/posh? district Kensington (?don’t know what works best). Unusual enough. But that Mama Penniman – still sweating after her gymnastic exercises - makes coffee, the little brother checks whether Mika is finally done showering, and a painter is bustling around painting the skirting on the ground floor in pink, gives sort of a cinematic feel to the scene.

Meanwhile, one floor below, Mika has made himself comfortable on the sofa with his fish and broccoli breakfast. The bed is made, he has lots of cartoon characters/figures?, a colorful bike and a piano. "I'm not a mummy boy," he says, "even if people laugh, because I live in my parents basement/cellar." He had simply not had time to look for a home of his own. After the huge success of his debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion" with hits like "Grace Kelly" and "Relax, Take It Easy" Mika toured around the world for one and a half years, then he recorded his new CD "We Are Golden" in Los Angeles (which will be released in September). "I'm now saving for a home of my own," says Mika, "but unfortunately, prices in London are still far too high."

Two years ago you became one of the biggest pop stars in the world. How much did it get to your head? (durchdrehen usually would be ‚lose it‘ or something like that, but I’m not sure if it would fit here)

The success went to my head, yes. But in other ways than I had expected.

Namely?

I became even more solitary, more reserved, more cautious than before. I've been even more closed. The fact that I was touring all the time kept me sane. I just always thought of the next show and the next town. This was what I would concentrate on. It reminded me of the time when I was a child. With 11 years I was out of school for half a year, because I was on tour with theater and operas and song shows. I had to be very disciplined when I sang opera back then. But this discipline has benefited me now. It saved me. (lol this feels like badly translated in the first run and now it becomes even more bad translating it back).

The more famous you become, the more reclusive you are?

Yes, it is. I had to do that, to be able to write songs. The more you reveal about yourself, the less will remain as subjects for your songs. Because you want them to be a bit mysterious. Communicating freely and honestly I can best in my songs. That‘s why I protect myself and my energy and my life. If this is taken from me, it would be the end of my creativity.

Is the new song "I see you" about you falling in love?

Yes, but in someone, whom I've never met. It's about how I sit there liking someone at the other end of the room, but do not dare to walk over and say "Hello". This is typical for me. If I‘d tell you now that I fancy you, you would laugh at me or punch me. Thus I protect myself by just staring. That’s how I am.

You don’t say?

Erm, yes, that’s how it goes. But I start imagining what could be. In my head I shoot really hot movies. When I meet this person again, it's almost like a second date. But I just stare.

So you're really shy?

Oh yes, terrible, ich bin ein ganz übler Aufreißer??? (out of context it would be I'm a badass player :shocked: but I guess he said he was bad at hitting on someone) Completely useless. And you?

Me too. I need to be approached in the first place, otherwise nothing happens.

See! Then you know how it is.

Does your shyness bug you?

Depends on my mood and time of day.

You always seem to be cagey about your love life. Because you have none?

Oh, there is a love life. But not of a sort I‘m proud of. I just don’t manage to build a steady, lasting relationship. Maybe I‘m not made for it, I don‘t know. I just know that I would protect my relationship. There would be no photos in magazines, or Home Stories.

Most think you are gay. But you don’t talk about your sexual preferences. Why not?

Because for me there is no difference whether I'm gay or not. May be it’s strange to protect ones life like that. And I don‘t claim that my way is the right one. But it is my way.

In "Blame it on the Girls' you complain about a guy who has everything but is still dissatisfied. Who is it? You yourself? Someone in the music business?

Oh, the other musicians and pop stars are all stupid. You never see who these people really are, they pretend. Also, these people very quickly become your friends, but just as quickly you lose sight of them again. I don’t want to find friends in music business.

Thanks so much for this! Both for the original post and the translation!

:thumb_yello:

I'll give it a try, if my english is strange, feel free to laugh :teehee:

"I'm not a mummy boy!"

Text: steffen-Ruether Photo: Julian Broad

The British singer Mika still lives with his parents. A visit to his room.

The meeting place for an interview with Mica Penniman is unusual: Mika's room. The 25-year-old son of a Lebanese and an American occupies the basement of his parents house in London's upmarket/noble/posh? district Kensington (?don’t know what works best). Unusual enough. But that Mama Penniman – still sweating after her gymnastic exercises - makes coffee, the little brother checks whether Mika is finally done showering, and a painter is bustling around painting the skirting on the ground floor in pink, gives sort of a cinematic feel to the scene.

Meanwhile, one floor below, Mika has made himself comfortable on the sofa with his fish and broccoli breakfast. The bed is made, he has lots of cartoon characters/figures?, a colorful bike and a piano. "I'm not a mummy boy," he says, "even if people laugh, because I live in my parents basement/cellar." He had simply not had time to look for a home of his own. After the huge success of his debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion" with hits like "Grace Kelly" and "Relax, Take It Easy" Mika toured around the world for one and a half years, then he recorded his new CD "We Are Golden" in Los Angeles (which will be released in September). "I'm now saving for a home of my own," says Mika, "but unfortunately, prices in London are still far too high."

Two years ago you became one of the biggest pop stars in the world. How much did it get to your head? (durchdrehen usually would be ‚lose it‘ or something like that, but I’m not sure if it would fit here)

The success went to my head, yes. But in other ways than I had expected.

Namely?

I became even more solitary, more reserved, more cautious than before. I've been even more closed. The fact that I was touring all the time kept me sane. I just always thought of the next show and the next town. This was what I would concentrate on. It reminded me of the time when I was a child. With 11 years I was out of school for half a year, because I was on tour with theater and operas and song shows. I had to be very disciplined when I sang opera back then. But this discipline has benefited me now. It saved me. (lol this feels like badly translated in the first run and now it becomes even more bad translating it back).

The more famous you become, the more reclusive you are?

Yes, it is. I had to do that, to be able to write songs. The more you reveal about yourself, the less will remain as subjects for your songs. Because you want them to be a bit mysterious. Communicating freely and honestly I can best in my songs. That‘s why I protect myself and my energy and my life. If this is taken from me, it would be the end of my creativity.

Is the new song "I see you" about you falling in love?

Yes, but in someone, whom I've never met. It's about how I sit there liking someone at the other end of the room, but do not dare to walk over and say "Hello". This is typical for me. If I‘d tell you now that I fancy you, you would laugh at me or punch me. Thus I protect myself by just staring. That’s how I am.

You don’t say?

Erm, yes, that’s how it goes. But I start imagining what could be. In my head I shoot really hot movies. When I meet this person again, it's almost like a second date. But I just stare.

So you're really shy?

Oh yes, terrible, ich bin ein ganz übler Aufreißer??? (out of context it would be I'm a badass player :shocked: but I guess he said he was bad at hitting on someone) Completely useless. And you?

Me too. I need to be approached in the first place, otherwise nothing happens.

See! Then you know how it is.

Does your shyness bug you?

Depends on my mood and time of day.

You always seem to be cagey about your love life. Because you have none?

Oh, there is a love life. But not of a sort I‘m proud of. I just don’t manage to build a steady, lasting relationship. Maybe I‘m not made for it, I don‘t know. I just know that I would protect my relationship. There would be no photos in magazines, or Home Stories.

Most think you are gay. But you don’t talk about your sexual preferences. Why not?

Because for me there is no difference whether I'm gay or not. May be it’s strange to protect ones life like that. And I don‘t claim that my way is the right one. But it is my way.

In "Blame it on the Girls' you complain about a guy who has everything but is still dissatisfied. Who is it? You yourself? Someone in the music business?

Oh, the other musicians and pop stars are all stupid. You never see who these people really are, they pretend. Also, these people very quickly become your friends, but just as quickly you lose sight of them again. I don’t want to find friends in music business.

T4P:biggrin2:

I know I'm not supposed to say anything but there is a song that mika didn't release and it sounds EXACTLY like the "I see you" description....about dreaming about someone he's staring at....:blink:

But the sample from the album doesn't sound like that song :no:. Which is a pity :emot-sad: