It can be ordered from here (it will be on sale later today). Not sure if international orders work as well.

Yep, that was me. The interview people are talking about is my 2nd Mika interview.

The English quotes that are used here are pretty much word for word what he said. I have an audio recording of it, and I was very careful to use his exact wording in the article, to make sure there wouldn't be any misquoting.

Exactly. That's why it's so good that he said what he said.

Nah, it's not sold out at all, tha stupid website just refuses to sell the magazine until they've received their stock. Which they should be receiving today. It's a missed opportunity, really.

It's available for free in all the gay bars and clubs in Holland (as well as Antwerp, Belgium). People who can't pick one up there can order it online as well, but that's not free.

I'm not sure if I would call that bragging :) It was just really great to see an interview that I did, was getting so much publicity :)

Anyway, here is the full excerpt of the interview.

I’m sure you’re tired of being asked about this, but I really do have to ask: now that you’re an established artist, you’ve sold out huge concerts and your records have sold incredibly well, does that make you more comfortable to address all those rumors about your presumed homosexuality?

‘My presumed homosexuality, I love how you say that… [laughs]’

Well, I’m trying to be careful here! I wouldn’t want to piss you off.

‘Nothing like this would ever piss me off, and why would it? It’s not a bad thing in any way whatsoever. And as far as discussing sexuality and gender: listen to my songs. It’s everywhere. Sexuality has kind of themed this record, if you have to think about it that way. That’s part of growing up. I mean, I’ve never ever labeled myself. But having said that; I’ve never limited my life, I’ve never limited who I sleep with. So, whatever. Even if I was going out with a man right now, I still wouldn’t tell you. And I wouldn’t tell anyone. I mean, I would tell you though, as my friend, but not as a journalist, you know what I mean? So, I don’t know. Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me.’

The thing is, wouldn’t you agree that, as a young person in the industry, with lots of young fans who look up to you, and lots of people who respect you for what you do, someone like you might be the perfect role model for a teenage kid who is in the closet?

‘Well, look at the 14-year-old kids that are making their own videos to my song, the 12- and 13-year-old guys dancing around in their room… There are ways of being a role model without having to always establish yourself with a label. Let’s say if you’re a 16-year-old guy, and you’re not sure about your sexuality, you should be as free as you want. You shouldn’t have to say ‘I’m gonna label myself in order to figure out what is going to make me happy in life’. Having a role model who makes you feel like it’s allright to do whatever you want, without the pressure of a label, I think that’s a good thing as well. I think there’s a million different ways to do it, there isn’t only one. And I hope I’m right. That’s the key to it. You don’t have to pigeonhole yourself all the time. You shouldn’t stick yourself into any kind of constraints or limitations at all. And seriously, if ‘bi’ is the label that helps you do it, then do that, as I said already. Apply that to me, if that’s what you want. That’s as close as I’ll get to any label.’

thank you! :bow:

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be ordered from here (it will be on sale later today). Not sure if international orders work as well.

Yep, that was me. The interview people are talking about is my 2nd Mika interview.

The English quotes that are used here are pretty much word for word what he said. I have an audio recording of it, and I was very careful to use his exact wording in the article, to make sure there wouldn't be any misquoting.

Nah, it's not sold out at all, tha stupid website just refuses to sell the magazine until they've received their stock. Which they should be receiving today. It's a missed opportunity, really.

It's available for free in all the gay bars and clubs in Holland (as well as Antwerp, Belgium). People who can't pick one up there can order it online as well, but that's not free.

I'm not sure if I would call that bragging :) It was just really great to see an interview that I did, was getting so much publicity :)

I’m sure you’re tired of being asked about this, but I really do have to ask: now that you’re an established artist, you’ve sold out huge concerts and your records have sold incredibly well, does that make you more comfortable to address all those rumors about your presumed homosexuality?

‘Nothing like this would ever piss me off, and why would it? It’s not a bad thing in any way whatsoever. And as far as discussing sexuality and gender: listen to my songs. It’s everywhere. Sexuality has kind of themed this record, if you have to think about it that way. That’s part of growing up. I mean, I’ve never ever labeled myself. But having said that; I’ve never limited my life, I’ve never limited who I sleep with. So, whatever. Even if I was going out with a man right now, I still wouldn’t tell you. And I wouldn’t tell anyone. I mean, I would tell you though, as my friend, but not as a journalist, you know what I mean? So, I don’t know. Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me.’

The thing is, wouldn’t you agree that, as a young person in the industry, with lots of young fans who look up to you, and lots of people who respect you for what you do, someone like you might be the perfect role model for a teenage kid who is in the closet?

‘Well, look at the 14-year-old kids that are making their own videos to my song, the 12- and 13-year-old guys dancing around in their room… There are ways of being a role model without having to always establish yourself with a label. Let’s say if you’re a 16-year-old guy, and you’re not sure about your sexuality, you should be as free as you want. You shouldn’t have to say ‘I’m gonna label myself in order to figure out what is going to make me happy in life’. Having a role model who makes you feel like it’s allright to do whatever you want, without the pressure of a label, I think that’s a good thing as well. I think there’s a million different ways to do it, there isn’t only one. And I hope I’m right. That’s the key to it. You don’t have to pigeonhole yourself all the time. You shouldn’t stick yourself into any kind of constraints or limitations at all. And seriously, if ‘bi’ is the label that helps you do it, then do that, as I said already. Apply that to me, if that’s what you want. That’s as close as I’ll get to any label.’

cool, thanx for posting that! :biggrin2: looking forward to reading the whole interview in the mag. :original:

That's 10!

Congrats, AnnaMariaPetra, Droopsy, BangBangLou, IngievV, lindemfc, robertina, FREDDIESDOUBLE, beckster22, mellody and DANI56!

yay, many thanx for that, didn't think i'd still be in time! :woot_jump:

That's 10!

Congrats, AnnaMariaPetra, Droopsy, BangBangLou, IngievV, lindemfc, robertina, FREDDIESDOUBLE, beckster22, mellody and DANI56!

sweet! Thank you! :thumb_yello:

My hubby will be thrilled (not...:naughty:): another Mika-poster in tha house! :roftl:

haha. My sister will be ecstatic! :naughty: oh well...she gets her Elvis wall, i think i can have another Mika poster in our room! :wink2:

Hah noooooo :) All of our envelopes are white. We also have a couple of subscribers (mostly people who don't live in a city where they can pick up the magazine for free) and some of the specifically asked them if we could send the magazine in a plain white envelope because their parents/roommates don't know they're gay.

The same thing with Swedish gay magazines, white envelopes.:kachinga:

Please don't mind my PM :roftl: I thought you were sending out magazines....hehe sorry, someone else could have better use for the poster!:thumb_yello:

Thank you Sprk for letting us know more about what was said!

The same thing with Swedish gay magazines, white envelopes.:kachinga:

Please don't mind my PM :roftl: I thought you were sending out magazines....hehe sorry, someone else could have better use for the poster!:thumb_yello:

Thank you Sprk for letting us know more about what was said!

the wall behind my bed has been waiting 21 years for something to show!:roftl:

joking, my husband would kill me during the night :sneaky2:

You dutchies are great

I love you all :roftl::wub2::thumb_yello:

What a culture and country you are :biggrin2:

All this and Schiphol too :biggrin2:!

All of my male teacher at my new school are gay (well, 1 I am not really sure about). Considering the sort of school I am going to that is not surprising. They are all amazing guys :wub2:.

My neighbours are lesbian, they have 2 cute little daughters. So the whole gay/lesbian thing is so common in my world that it is hard to understand the fuss that is going on about it. Tho I do realize that in some countries it still is a big issue, unfortunately.

I don't feel like Mika is coming out of the closet with this interview, he is still being a bit secretive about it. But if he wants to be secretive he should, I get a little tired of it but I don't really care whether he is gay, bisexual or trisexual anyway so :wink2:.

All this and Schiphol too :biggrin2:!

All of my male teacher at my new school are gay (well, 1 I am not really sure about). Considering the sort of school I am going to that is not surprising. They are all amazing guys :wub2:.

My neighbours are lesbian, they have 2 cute little daughters. So the whole gay/lesbian thing is so common in my world that it is hard to understand the fuss that is going on about it. Tho I do realize that in some countries it still is a big issue, unfortunately.

I don't feel like Mika is coming out of the closet with this interview, he is still being a bit secretive about it. But if he wants to be secretive he should, I get a little tired of it but I don't really care whether he is gay, bisexual or trisexual anyway so :wink2:.

Shchipol , cheese , tulips , you lot ! , you have it made:wub2:

Yesh hes almost saying , Im bi , whatever , keeps an open mind to anything really

I'd actually say in MOST countries, with Scandinavia, BeNeLux, France and UK being the exception...

I'd actually say in MOST countries, with Scandinavia, BeNeLux, France and UK being the exception...

You really made me stop and think for a moment.

In my country maybe we have come a bit on the way, but it’s still a problem for people living in small communities and the first thing many young and gay people do as soon as they can is to move in to a big city.

Gay people are being abused and even murdered because they are gay.

We have an ongoing debate whether priests should be “forced” to marry gay people or not!

This is Sweden today!:blink:

Thank you so much Sprk for clearing that up. When we see things in print and half of the quote is missing it's hard to believe what was actually meant for certain, especially when Mika tends to speak using phrasing that is open to interpretation to start with.

the wall behind my bed has been waiting 21 years for something to show!:roftl:

joking, my husband would kill me during the night :sneaky2:

:lmfao:

Thank you so much Sprk for clearing that up. When we see things in print and half of the quote is missing it's hard to believe what was actually meant for certain, especially when Mika tends to speak using phrasing that is open to interpretation to start with.

Agreed! I really appreciate seeing more of the context of the conversation.

Thanks for sharing with us! :thumb_yello:

Oh that's fantastic! You were on site when Gay&Night interviewed him? Or you've got audio/video of the interview?

Either way, I presume his legal team is all over this - a publication falsifying something within quotations is grounds for legal action, and given the significance of this falsified "quote", he should have no problem winning.

Sucks to be that journalist, too. He'll lose his job over this, no doubt.

:lmfao: I love you Mana; Have I told you recently?

Oh wow. Thanks so much for clarifying :thumb_yello: