Mika and Boyzone: how he 'gave it all away'- the Sun

robertina

Hi!

:welcomeani: to MFC:thumb_yello:

I would actually like to know what Mika had in mind when he wrote it. I doubt he wrote it for himself in the first place. I also wonder how Boyzone 'found' the song.

I think he just writes a lot of songs. Some of them he might just feel aren't really 'him', but might be okay for other artists. The song may have started off as potentially for him (as I would imagine they all do) but didn't sound right once it was finished. I dunno :dunno: Who knows what goes on in the mind of a songwriting genius :biggrin2:. ?? I wouldn't dare to speculate (oops, I just did! :aah:)

Oh, and :welcomeani: Ronan Fan! :biggrin2:

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he just writes a lot of songs. Some of them he might just feel aren't really 'him', but might be okay for other artists. The song may have started off as potentially for him (as I would imagine they all do) but didn't sound right once it was finished. I dunno :dunno: Who knows what goes on in the mind of a songwriting genius :biggrin2:. ?? I wouldn't dare to speculate (oops, I just did! :aah:)

:roftl:

I have a theory on that but I am not going to speculate on that online, either...:naughty:

Oh, and :welcomeani: Ronan Fan! :biggrin2:

He must have a lot of time on his hands...

*glares at how long it took to write 7 out of 14 songs on TBWKTM*

:roftl:

I have a theory on that but I am not going to speculate on that online, either...:naughty:

I think he's doing it to make money, or am I not allowed to say that? :teehee: nothing wrong with it imo, all artists do it, why wouldn't he?

I quite liked it. Wasn't too fond of the slight reggae touch to it in the second verse but as it continued and other instruments came into it I thought it worked for Boyzone. I can imagine it getting a lot of attention and I hope it does well.

I really liked the Boyzone's version for GIAA :teehee::blush-anim-cl:

Oh, take me to me car, lad, and i swear by the time we get there i'd already given it all away...

33z8wts.jpg

HAUHAUHAUHAUAHUAHAU, thanks for give me more pervert thoughts, Wonka :mf_rosetinted::roftl: If that is possible :mf_rosetinted:

Hiya,

I'm a STEPHEN GATELY fan.

Nice to read all your comments.

Just thought I'd let you know that they will play the song tomorrow on Chris Moyles show as well.

I hope all the Mika fans will support this song 100%. Let's not dwell on the fact that Mika didn't want to give BZ the song in the first place and instead concentrate on making this song a hit. Boyzone themself actually never said a bad word against Mika.

Stephen actually really liked Mika. There used to be a section on his official website called "Stephen recommends" and he used to mention some movies, books, songs on there that he liked. And a few years ago he recommended Mika's album and encouraged his fans to buy it. :thumb_yello:

I don't know what all this talk about GAVE IT ALL AWAY being cheesy is about? Aren't most of Mika's song cheesy as well? Like BIG GIRLS for example.

And I think Boyzone have a lot songs that are much cheesier than GIAA.

I think there are quite a few people on here that don't know much about Stephen. Hope it's ok to post some YT clips to show you who he was?

Stephen singing Bring him home on the lyrics board:

Stephen's solo single I believe - it was on the Soundtrack for Billy Elliott:

And my all time fave BRIGHTER DAY - written by Stephen himself for a Panto he starred in as Dandini:

And one clip that shows how much Stephen's voice has improved during the last few year, singing I can't make you love me with Boyzone on an asian show in 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz2GFe9fgtM

I can't tell you all how hard the last 3 months have been. I never cried so many tears in my whole life. You are all so lucky that you still have Mika alive and happy. I hope you all know how good you've got it and hope you appreciate every day with Mika. It could be over any day, never forget that! I never thought that Stephen would leave us at just 33 years of age. It was such a big shock. He was such an amazing person and so down to earth. I've met him over 100 times and he was just a wonderful, kind and good guy. He will be sadly missed by so many.

R.I.P. Stephen

what you wrote is completely true, we have to thank God for have Mika here with us and with health. I can't imagine the shock that was for Steven fans , losing him so suddenly ... is great that you had the pleasure of knowing him personally. These memories nobody can take from you.

I can't tell you all how hard the last 3 months have been. I never cried so many tears in my whole life. You are all so lucky that you still have Mika alive and happy. I hope you all know how good you've got it and hope you appreciate every day with Mika. It could be over any day, never forget that! I never thought that Stephen would leave us at just 33 years of age. It was such a big shock. He was such an amazing person and so down to earth. I've met him over 100 times and he was just a wonderful, kind and good guy. He will be sadly missed by so many.

R.I.P. Stephen

Hiya,

Just thought I'd let you know that they will play the song tomorrow on Chris Moyles show as well.

I hope all the Mika fans will support this song 100%. Let's not dwell on the fact that Mika didn't want to give BZ the song in the first place and instead concentrate on making this song a hit. Boyzone themself actually never said a bad word against Mika.

Stephen actually really liked Mika. There used to be a section on his official website called "Stephen recommends" and he used to mention some movies, books, songs on there that he liked. And a few years ago he recommended Mika's album and encouraged his fans to buy it. :thumb_yello:

I don't know what all this talk about GAVE IT ALL AWAY being cheesy is about? Aren't most of Mika's song cheesy as well? Like BIG GIRLS for example.

I think there are quite a few people on here that don't know much about Stephen. Hope it's ok to post some YT clips to show you who he was?

And my all time fave BRIGHTER DAY - written by Stephen himself for a Panto he starred in as Dandini:

And one clip that shows how much Stephen's voice has improved during the last few year, singing I can't make you love me with Boyzone on an asian show in 2008:

R.I.P. Stephen

Hi, you've got me speechless for a while...

No one will dwell over anything in here and of course we support it 100%...

Thank you for coming here and saying those words...

Hiya,

R.I.P. Stephen

Hiya Perfect Angel! Welcome to MFC. :huglove:

You don't have to worry about Mika fans focusing on Mika's hesitancy to give Boyzone the song in the first place - I'm pretty sure many Mika fans, even those who aren't really Boyzone fans, will buy the single if only to support Mika.

The talk about it being "cheesy" is because in 2007 when the story about this song first hit the press, Mika was apparently quoted as saying he was hesitant to let Boyzone record the song because he thought their version was/would be "too cheesy". And now, on listening to it, I gotta' say I don't agree with Mika on that - it's not any cheesier, IMHO, than most boyband songs. :dunno:

And I must say, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your words about being lucky to have Mika alive and happy brought tears to my eyes - I think we all endeavour to appreciate Mika as much as we possibly can. I don't think any of us can imagine the shock and pain you've been through, and I hope this single brings a bit of comfort to you. :wub2:

Also, stupid question... the opening lyrics, "I, will learn to live before I die" - who's singing that line? Is that Stephen or Ronan? Forgive my Boyzone ignorance. :blush-anim-cl:

I don't think GIAA sounds like "Red Red Wine" any more than it sounds like any other song with a reggae backing :dunno:

I agree, Silver, I can't hear that at all :dunno:

That's what I first thought, too...However, there is a point here, but perhaps not with the song RRW but with UB 40

The reggae bit starts with a relatively strong drum beat just like it starts in some songs /covers of UB 40 ( e.g like after 20 secs into I can't Help Falling in Love, for example:teehee:)

I think most people thought of RRW becasue that is one of the most popular songs with reggae beat (original by Neil Diamond, btw)

I'm with you on that, and I absolutely love the Neil Diamond version :wub2:. In fact, I think that I'll take any Neil Diamond version over any cover that others have done of any of his songs.....The man's a legend. I saw him live last summer and I was all :fangurl:

In any case, the more I listen to the higher quality versions of this, the less reaggae I find it, and the better I find it. It's a good song and it will do very well.

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome :biggrin2:

I'm a Ronan Keating fan (apart from being Boyzone frontman he's a successful solo artist as well) and I absolutely love his voice. When he sings a song like that I'm in heaven and can't help but shout "author! author!". Mika did a great job really!

Welcome, Elka! I'm also a bit of a Ronan fan :blush-anim-cl:, he's fab.

Hiya,

R.I.P. Stephen

You're very right, and I can only imagine how horrible it must be for you guys :huglove:

I really don't know what to say :blink:

Hiya,

R.I.P. Stephen

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If not all of us (for whatever reason), the vast majority of us will back this song 100%. I know I will.

Thank you for joining our board and for spreading the love - I understand this must a difficult time for all you Boyzone/Stephen fans.

Having someone so important to you suddenly go without warning must be such a hard thing to take, and I know I appreciate everything Mika does for us. Nothing lasts forever and Stephen's tragic end really makes you realise that you never know which day will be your last.

Also, stupid question... the opening lyrics, "I, will learn to live before I die" - who's singing that line? Is that Stephen or Ronan? Forgive my Boyzone ignorance. :blush-anim-cl:

That's Stephen, which makes it a bit more...you know.

I believe it's Ronan singing the next bit.

Hiya Perfect Angel! Welcome to MFC. :huglove:

You don't have to worry about Mika fans focusing on Mika's hesitancy to give Boyzone the song in the first place - I'm pretty sure many Mika fans, even those who aren't really Boyzone fans, will buy the single if only to support Mika.

The talk about it being "cheesy" is because in 2007 when the story about this song first hit the press, Mika was apparently quoted as saying he was hesitant to let Boyzone record the song because he thought their version was/would be "too cheesy". And now, on listening to it, I gotta' say I don't agree with Mika on that - it's not any cheesier, IMHO, than most boyband songs. :dunno:

And I must say, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your words about being lucky to have Mika alive and happy brought tears to my eyes - I think we all endeavour to appreciate Mika as much as we possibly can. I don't think any of us can imagine the shock and pain you've been through, and I hope this single brings a bit of comfort to you. :wub2:

I don't know if I'm right so I'll leave it to the Boyzone experts to confirm, but I think that it's Stephen first, with the slightly clearer, higher pitched voice, and then Ronan comes in a lot later.

EDIT:

Ok, I listened again, It's definitely Stephen until Ronan starts singing at "she"

I don't know if I'm right so I'll leave it to the Boyzone experts to confirm, but I think that it's Stephen first, with the slightly clearer, higher pitched voice, and then Ronan comes in a lot later.

Stephen: I will learn to live before I die

Will learn to love and learn to try

Not to give it all away

Ronan: She may be the one that's meant for me

Or for the man that I used to be

Till I gave it all away

I think lol.

EDIT: God damn you Sara! :aah:

R.I.P. Stephen

It IS cheesy! But who said cheese was bad? I am a big fan of cheese. :naughty:

Nothing wrong with cheesy pop. People can be too snobby I think.

Like Sparkly said on youtube, it's funny how this song is so apt now that Stephen has passed away.

It must have been difficult for Boyzone fans, it was upsetting enough for a lot of us who wouldn't class ourselves as fans.

This is going to be a huge hit though, and a fine way to be remembered.

It IS cheesy! But who said cheese was bad? I am a big fan of cheese. :naughty:

Nothing wrong with cheesy pop. People can be too snobby I think.

Like Sparkly said on youtube, it's funny how this song is so apt now that Stephen has passed away.

It must have been difficult for Boyzone fans, it was upsetting enough for a lot of us who wouldn't class ourselves as fans.

This is going to be a huge hit though, and a fine way to be remembered.

*stands up and applauses*

That's Stephen :wub2:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Great to know that you're supporting the song as well. :thumb_yello:

It's been a very emotional day having to listen to the song for the first time. Tomorrow the videoclip to the song will be online on boyzone.net and that's another thing I'm dreading. It's just bittersweet.