Lay my heart down on floor.

Red, red wine

Stay close to me

Don't let me be alone

It's tearin' apart

My blue, blue heart

I gave you my bottle but you wanted more

But i Gave it all away.

Edit: All i remember when listening to GIAA is Red Red wine by UB40??????WTF???? lol

Ms. Wonka - thank you so much for spit-up 206 since you started posting on a regular basis.:shocked::roftl::roftl:

I don't think GIAA sounds like "Red Red Wine" any more than it sounds like any other song with a reggae backing :dunno:

I don't think so either.

There have been a few "bits" of Mika songs which have made me think of other songs (not really that many) but GIAA didn't remind me of anything.

I really really like it too.

These are the lyrics - that I can make out.

They are beautiful with the music or alone.

Bravo & Kudos Mika.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

BOYZONE - GAVE IT ALL AWAY

I..I.. Will learn to live before I die.

Will learn to love and learn to try ...learn to try

Not to give it all away ...give it all away

She.. Maybe the one thats meant for me.

Or for the man that I used to be ..used be.

Till I gave it all away ...gave it all away

Why ..I I I, I Lay my heart down on the floor.

I showed you love you wanted more more more.

But I Gave it all away.

I E I E I E I, cry E I E I E I

You.. Taught me to see the bitter truth.

About yourself, but about me too ...about me too

I was stupid over you, what could I do?

Why I I I ,I Lay my heart down on floor.

I showed you love you wanted more more more more

But I gave it all away.

Some people wait a lifetime for a chance like this.

I've waited enough baby you know I wont let you go.

I'm Sick of tears and bitter fears.

Unna na we oh ..unna na we oh ..weo oh weoh

Unna na we oh ..unna na we oh ..weo oh weoh

Why I I I, I Lay my heart down on floor.

I showed you love you wanted more more more

But I gave it all away.

There is nothing left to take

Cry E I E I E I, Cry E I E I E I

I gave it all away.

Edited by Kodes100

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think it's the case here. Boyzone's version sounds pretty much like Mika's to me.

I have never heard Mika's version - God forbid I should say it out loud here - I don't want to now - as I really like BoyZone's GIAA!!

I have been reading Mika's lyrics without the music & they are beautiful - as most of Mika's lyrics are.

These are the lyrics - that I can make out.

They are beautiful with the music or alone.

Bravo & Kudos Mika.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

BOYZONE - GAVE IT ALL AWAY

I.. Will learn to live befor I die.

Will learn to love and learn to try.

Not to give it all away.

She.. Maybe the one thats meant for me.

Or for the man that I used to be ..used be.

Till I gave it all away.

Why ..I I I, I Lay my heart down on the floor.

I showed you love but you wanted more more more.

But I Gave it all away.

I love them :wub2:

Oh, it's just like what happened the first time i listened to TY, George Michael came into mind...

For me it's still very George Michael song, and it's not a bad thing. I love how he performs it in a GM way too :wink2:

:roftl:

I mean, the song itself is one any boyband would go down on their knees to get. Using some reggae beat in it is not a crime against humanity, either, but knowing that one of the singers died in the meantime and listening to the 'fitting' lyrics at the beginning, I would have expected the producer to turn this song into a real tearjerker and not into some extremely lightweight pop song. :shocked:

I really thought it would sound something like Boyzone's version of Baby Can I Hold You or No Matter What...

Not my loss, though :cool:

Yes, it's surprisingly light and summery. I really don't have a strong opinion about the song yet, it sounds very boyband style, it can be a success.

I think Mika was right about it sounding cheesy, but I think it suits Boyzone. :teehee:

really? :blink: imo it sounds a lot less cheesy than i expected it to. like the "na na na" part, they could've made that completely cheesy, but they didn't.

i really like the song, also in boyzone's version. :thumb_yello:

I have never heard Mika's version - God forbid I should say it out loud here - I don't want to now - as I really like BoyZone's GIAA!!

I have been reading Mika's lyrics without the music & they are beautiful - as most of Mika's lyrics are.

I think at some point, I'd like to hear Mika sing it.

Maybe one day when he does a retrospective of all his songs, he'll sing it.

i'm sorry if this has already been posted but i didn't know if it had

The single Gave it All Away, written by Mika, was recorded by Boyzone nearly two years ago but was shelved because of royalty problems.

Shane said: "When Steo passed, it all took on so much more meaning because of the irony of the title and the lyrics and Stephen singing them, so we were desperate to get it for the album.

"Then Ronan was in LA and he bumped into Mika in a hotel lift. He'd broken his foot and couldn't walk to his car. So good old Ro just picked him up and carried him. Mika was so touched he said 'Whatever happens lads, the record's yours'."

from here http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=boyzone-the-secret-icy-rift&method=full&objectid=21973797&siteid=93463-name_page.html

I don't think GIAA sounds like "Red Red Wine" any more than it sounds like any other song with a reggae backing :dunno:

That's what I first thought, too...However, there is a point here, but perhaps not with the song RRW but with UB 40

The reggae bit starts with a relatively strong drum beat just like it starts in some songs /covers of UB 40 ( e.g like after 20 secs into I can't Help Falling in Love, for example:teehee:)

I think most people thought of RRW becasue that is one of the most popular songs with reggae beat (original by Neil Diamond, btw)

I think at some point, I'd like to hear Mika sing it.

Maybe one day when he does a retrospective of all his songs, he'll sing it.

I'd prefer him sing that Eros Ramazotti song with his original lyrics:blush-anim-cl:

Edited by suzie

The single Gave it All Away, written by Mika, was recorded by Boyzone nearly two years ago but was shelved because of royalty problems.

Shane said: "When Steo passed, it all took on so much more meaning because of the irony of the title and the lyrics and Stephen singing them, so we were desperate to get it for the album.

"Then Ronan was in LA and he bumped into Mika in a hotel lift. He'd broken his foot and couldn't walk to his car. So good old Ro just picked him up and carried him. Mika was so touched he said 'Whatever happens lads, the record's yours'."

from here http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=boyzone-the-secret-icy-rift&method=full&objectid=21973797&siteid=93463-name_page.html

Yes, it was how we started the thread in the first place:thumb_yello:

hmm... *scratches head* apart from the fact that mika's foot wasn't broken but he had a torn tendon, they got that right with the foot... but honestly, i can't imagine that ronan carrying mika to his car part. :blink: ronan is not much taller than me iirc, and he's not exactly a bodybuilder either... and then, mika already protested that his band lifted him up after the la show, and he knows them a lot better than he knows ronan... so well, i just can't imagine it, sounds to me like the press made that up. :dunno:

but about the meeting in LA per se, yup, we've heard of that quite a while ago.

hmm... *scratches head* apart from the fact that mika's foot wasn't broken but he had a torn tendon, they got that right with the foot... but honestly, i can't imagine that ronan carrying mika to his car part. :blink: ronan is not much taller than me iirc, and he's not exactly a bodybuilder either... and then, mika already protested that his band lifted him up after the la show, and he knows them a lot better than he knows ronan... so well, i just can't imagine it, sounds to me like the press made that up. :dunno:

me neither. I didn't even notice that because I thought I knew that already :doh:

I'm surprised how similar the versions sound, too. I don't know what I was expecting exactly, but maybe that Boyzone would make it sound very different. As it turns out, it's just a reggae-lite version.

It indeed now sounds less like Maria McKee's Show Me Heaven (which is what Mika's version reminded me of) and more like Red Red Wine.

I hope it does well, all things considered.

I read the elevator bit - I suppose here - but the carrying Mika is new for me.

We could always wait unit Mika talks about this in some interview then contradicts himself in some other interview.:roftl::roftl:

We will never know unless BoyZone is better at accurate details.:thumb_yello:

Edited by Kodes100

I agree

Artists get lyrics or a demo with a complete song all the time.

Once they produce & sing it with their unique style I think the song a lot of the times is not only different than the writer's but sometimes a completely different song.

Youtube has many examples of that.

American Idol or X-Factors in Europe demonstrate this all the time.

Sorry - the first time I didn't express myself well enough - now I kind of got really wordy & ran on & on & on:shocked::shocked:.:boxed::boxed:

No, no, I appreciate the explanation. :biggrin2:

I agree with Bab that it sounds more like Mika than I expected. In fact I think if Mika had released the song himself, his new version would be less faithful to the original demo than this Boyzone version is.

You're right about there being lots of examples of that because Mika does it with his own demos and changes them so much during production and even afterwards with the live shows. Rain has evolved so much since he first performed it.

:roftl: I have to agree with Mellody that this sounds a bit absurd.

I also heard a report that Boyzone were at his LA gig so I would have expected the run-in at the lift to have happened before Mika injured his foot. :dunno:

It doesn't sound bad

I have never heard Mika's vesion, I really want to hear it. Is there somewhere i can hear it??????

No, it got taken off almost as soon as it went on!

Only a few people got lucky enough to hear it.

That's what I first thought, too...However, there is a point here, but perhaps not with the song RRW but with UB 40

The reggae bit starts with a relatively strong drum beat just like it starts in some songs /covers of UB 40 ( e.g like after 20 secs into I can't Help Falling in Love, for example:teehee:)

I think most people thought of RRW becasue that is one of the most popular songs with reggae beat (original by Neil Diamond, btw)

I'd prefer him sing that Eros Ramazotti song with his original lyrics:blush-anim-cl:

i second that :thumb_yello:

I have just realised we had the question about the time of the record production answered. It was recorded 2 years ago and it seems no one touched it after that... Hence the upbeat reggae sound (post 'Stars are Blind' era :cool:)

Concerning Shane's comment on the circumstances of Ronan meeting Mika, I'd only believe it if Ronan himself said it.

I don't like "Gave It All Away" - it's got some reggae rhytm I don't like at all - but it's cool for a boyband like them:thumb_yello: I think it'll make success:thumb_yello:

I'm just happy Mika didn't sing it himself LOL:naughty:

I don't like "Gave It All Away" - it's got some reggae rhytm I don't like at all - but it's cool for a boyband like them:thumb_yello: I think it'll make success:thumb_yello:

I'm just happy Mika didn't sing it himself LOL:naughty:

Honey Mika has singing himself but he didn't release it so he gave it away :naughty::roftl:

Are you talking about youtube? Was it on youtube? That must be where I heard it then. :naughty:

I don't know, you tell me:roftl::roftl::roftl:

I only know that some people heard it somewhere, and then said it had gone:naughty: