He says he means to propose some documentaries on music that no one would want to finance.

I'm a bit surprised about that statement about next XF, though....

On vanity fair two days ago he told he doesn't know what he's going to do and to me his voice meant a probably not... but it's just my opinion.

i think this is a "probably not" as well. i'm sure he has other plans already that he knows would collide with the next xfactor, and just says it to please the xfactor viewers, and/or because he doesn't want to exclude this option for all future. and then, you never know what the future brings - if his plans are destroyed for some reason, he might consider it.

"I'm the PoP, not Lady Gaga!"

We met the Anglo-Lebanese artist, a true revelation of this edition of "X Factor," that will end next week. He learned Italian in record time and he has affected everyone with his competence and elegance

MILAN - He will be embarrassed, he does not speak Italian, he will never be in tune with the other judges. Besides, he had never made television so he's a fish out of water. Those who said, at the beginning of this seventh edition of X Factor (the third on Sky), they had underestimated the resources of Mika (30 years old, born in Beirut from Lebanese mother and American father, but naturalized in uk) transformist and hyperactive since when he was child.

Eye-catching and Technicolor was Grace Kelly, the song that launched him in 2007 in the firmament of pop. Signing for X Factor (on 12th the final on SkyUno) Mika has risked a lot and he won on all fronts.

He has learned Italian at the speed of light, but this is a detail compared to many other qualities of this "neodivo" of TV.

The frankness, the sweet gaiety, the elegance, the measure in the behavior and in judgments conquered everyone. And above all, the skill, that where you sing in a talent for ninety per cent in English is not little (by choosing a song for his protégée as the cult songwriter Bon Iver, Mika has stumped even the encyclopedic Morgan, more shod on classic rock than trends).

Three successful albums (the fourth, the collection Songbook Vol 1, in which he also sings in Italian has only been released for our market, and it's topped the charts) and an international popularity: because the temptation to coach debutants in a talent in this appendix of Europe which, unlike all the Made in Italy, it does the pop but it does not export it?

"But the Italian X Factor is much more vibrant than English", the artist begins in his dressing room, perfect in his full sugar paper. "It is not true that the Anglo-American music has always held pride of place. France and Italy have had their glory in the decades of the 50s and 60s: Paolo Conte is a great, Barbara is a myth. And I'm a romantic. mind you, a romantic not a nostalgic. "

How was the approach to the television?

"I was never passionate to the tv, but I do not forget that I am a pop artist, so for me the intellectual things, alienating and trash have the same level of interest. The pop art is spontaneous, its value occurs with time.

How many Salieri there have been in history for any Mozart?

Lady GaGa has made ​​a mistake: trumpeting to the four winds that she had recorded an album of pop art with a cover designed by an artist of pop art. Banal and superficial. "

What happens when a star of your caliber takes a commitment of this kind, put his career in stand-by?

I have always accepted the challenges, even the most difficult and strange. I like to do everything in a hurry, so I learned Italian as fast as ever, with a teacher who has followed me on tour in Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles and Jakarta. I can do many things together. If I do not write songs in a continuous stream, I get a wax statue, a murderous doll. In recent weeks I have made up a good part of the new album. "

Do you really think that spontaneous art as pop music can be "taught" in a music school in which the judgment is brutally expressed by televoting?

"X Factor will never give you what only the life and experience can give you. Schools should be to teach music, but for the arts there are never enough funds."

At the time of Grace Kelly he told us that at age 14 he performed five songs accompanied by a talent scout at the piano. "You're very good, but I do not know what to do with someone like you," was the comment. Today, in the era when the Internet is the arbiter of all things, the apprenticeship is done in a different way?

I don't believe so, in the end the reactions of men are always the same, technology changes habits not people.

He lives in a home in Milan and he intends to keep it. How is it to live in Italy in the Great Depression?

"The world is in crisis, only the Germans and the British are able to conceal maintaining super-decent appearance of their capital - but just take a trip in the suburbs to understand that they also do not fare well. I love the architecture of Milan, even the most austere and fascist.'s a city that is hidden, the most beautiful things are always behind a door, do not you find it if I had any friends. "

Everyone said that Italy is the most homophobic country in Europe. It seemed to her too?

"I do not understand why I am privileged. Doing an interview and I can say without any problems that I'm gay and I have a mate. But I think those who have sacrificed their lives for the principles of freedom and tolerance with no fuss and no glory ".

A defect to Italy and in Italian people, though thou hast found!

"For me it is the best country in the world, because it manages to retain its own identity. Take Lebanon: a country suspended; France: lots of money and a serious identity crisis. Italy cultivates its myths, the legacy and popular culture, and this is a good antidote to the crisis. "

Television creates an affectionate complicity with the audience. The'll see you next year?

"I have not changed the X Factor and X Factor has not changed me. I will continue to make my own choices crazy. I have other offers in France and in England, where I intend to propose the music documentaries that no one wants to finance. Course if the next edition of X Factor will not overlap my obligations with the record i'll be there. "

Edited by Lucrezia

We met the Anglo-Lebanese artist, a true revelation of this edition of "X Factor," that will end next week. He learned Italian in record time and he has affected everyone with his competence and elegance

MILAN - He will be embarrassed, he does not speak Italian, he will never be in tune with the other judges. Besides, he had never made television so he's a fish out of water. Those who said, at the beginning of this seventh edition of X Factor (the third on Sky), they had underestimated the resources of Mika (30 years old, born in Beirut from Lebanese mother and American father, but naturalized in uk) transformist and hyperactive since when he was child.

Eye-catching and Technicolor was Grace Kelly, the song that launched him in 2007 in the firmament of pop. Signing for X Factor (on 12th the final on SkyUno) Mika has risked a lot and he won on all fronts.

He has learned Italian at the speed of light, but this is a detail compared to many other qualities of this "neodivo" of TV.

The frankness, the sweet gaiety, the elegance, the measure in the behavior and in judgments conquered everyone. And above all, the skill, that where you sing in a talent for ninety per cent in English is not little (by choosing a song for his protégée as the cult songwriter Bon Iver, Mika has stumped even the encyclopedic Morgan, more shod on classic rock than trends).

Three successful albums (the fourth, the collection Songbook Vol 1, in which he also sings in Italian has only been released for our market, and it's topped the charts) and an international popularity: because the temptation to coach debutants in a talent in this appendix of Europe which, unlike all the Made in Italy, it does the pop but it does not export it?

"But the Italian X Factor is much more vibrant than English", the artist begins in his dressing room, perfect in his full sugar paper. "It is not true that the Anglo-American music has always held pride of place. France and Italy have had their glory in the decades of the 50s and 60s: Paolo Conte is a great, Barbara is a myth. And I'm a romantic. mind you, a romantic not a nostalgic. "

What happens when a star of your caliber takes a commitment of this kind, put his career in stand-by?

I have always accepted the challenges, even the most difficult and strange. I like to do everything in a hurry, so I learned Italian as fast as ever, with a teacher who has followed me on tour in Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles and Jakarta. I can do many things together. If I do not write songs in a continuous stream, I get a wax statue, a murderous doll. In recent weeks I have made up a good part of the new album. "

Do you really think that spontaneous art as pop music can be "taught" in a music school in which the judgment is brutally expressed by televoting?

"X Factor will never give you what only the life and experience can give you. Schools should be to teach music, but for the arts there are never enough funds."

At the time of Grace Kelly he told us that at age 14 he performed five songs accompanied by a talent scout at the piano. "You're very good, but I do not know what to do with someone like you," was the comment. Today, in the era when the Internet is the arbiter of all things, the apprenticeship is done in a different way?

He lives in a permante a home in Milan and he intends to keep it. How is it to live in Italy in the Great Depression?

"The world is in crisis, only the Germans and the British are able to conceal maintaining super-decent appearance of their capital - but just take a trip in the suburbs to understand that they also do not fare well. I love the architecture of Milan, even the most austere and fascist.'s a city that is hidden, the most beautiful things are always behind a door, do not you find it if I had any friends. "

Everyone said that Italy is the most homophobic country in Europe. It seemed to her too?

"I do not understand why they are privileged. Doing an interview and I can say without any problems that I'm gay and I have a mate. But I think those who have sacrificed their lives for the principles of freedom and tolerance with no fuss and no glory ".

"For me it is the best country in the world, because it manages to retain its own identity. Take Lebanon: a country suspended; France: lots of money and a serious identity crisis. Italy cultivates its myths, the legacy and popular culture, and this is a good antidote to the crisis. "

Television creates an affectionate complicity with the audience. The'll see you next year?

"I have not changed the X Factor and X Factor has not changed me. I will continue to make my own choices crazy. I have other offers in France and in England, where I intend to propose the music documentaries that no one wants to finance. Course if the next edition of X Factor will not overlap my obligations with the record i'll be there. "

If he means proper music documentaries, not some reality rubbish, I will be 100% behind him. I love watching anything like that:thumb_yello:

He lives in a permante a home in Milan and he intends to keep it. How is it to live in Italy in the Great Depression?

"I do not understand why they are privileged. Doing an interview and I can say without any problems that I'm gay and I have a mate. But I think those who have sacrificed their lives for the principles of freedom and tolerance with no fuss and no glory ".

Thank you so much for translating :huglove::huglove::huglove::huglove:

:thumb_yello: Thanks a million Lucrezia - again I'm soo happy with your good work :huglove: I get really proud by the way MIKA is presented here - and there's also interesting stuff in his answers, as always :blush-anim-cl: Re music doc that's my favs - from VH1 " The story behind the music" till his own small, but great, doc added in his two DVDs :wub2: Even i don't know what his intensions are, about this stuff "that no one wants to finance" it would be exciting to know more about these plans - and probably we soon will ... :wink2:

Love,love

me

Thanks so much, Lucrezia!

I think you missed the answer to one question, though:

Mika's answer to this was:

"Non credo, alla fine le reazioni degli uomini sono sempre le stesse, la tecnologia cambia le abitudini non le persone".

I don't believe so, in the end the reactions of men are always the same, technology changes habits not people.

Also, in the question about how homophobic Italy is, Mika answered:

Non me ne rendo conto perché sono un privilegiato.

I think that should really be: "I don't understand because I am privileged." (not they are privileged) It changes the sense of the sentence. :thumb_yello:

Again, thanks :flowers2:

Thanks so much, Lucrezia!

I think you missed the answer to one question, though:

Mika's answer to this was:

"Non credo, alla fine le reazioni degli uomini sono sempre le stesse, la tecnologia cambia le abitudini non le persone".

Also, in the question about how homophobic Italy is, Mika answered:

Non me ne rendo conto perché sono un privilegiato.

I think that should really be: "I don't understand because I am privileged." (not they are privileged) It changes the sense of the sentence. :thumb_yello:

Again, thanks :flowers2:

Ups sorry i'm changing it now!

If he means proper music documentaries, not some reality rubbish, I will be 100% behind him. I love watching anything like that:thumb_yello:

I 100% agree! I'd be ecstatic if he did documentaries. I love them anyway, always watch them on BBC3 or 4 when they are on. The stories behind the albums, or about the stars themselves and how they got where they are, are so interesting.

This is exactly the sort of thing I've always meant about Mika using his talent and his knowledge, not just to make his own music, but to talk intelligently about music in general.

I'm actually not so eager for a new album yet. I know that's not a popular view and I understand why people want the new music from Mika. But if he releases a new album in the UK, without anyone knowing he has one, or thinking he's just disappeared off the scene. If there is no publicity, or anything to let people know he's still around, then it won't sell. But if he becomes a force in music, by doing docs, or in some other way, he stands a great chance of selling his new album. After all, Gary Barlow sells albums and singles off the back of his success in X Factor and other stuff he does, so Mika can do the same thing, if he puts himself out there, in the UK, in some way.

Thank you Lucrezia!

I love this picture :wub2: (the one where he almost has his head on the table :mf_rosetinted:), I like that he is dressed casual.

For me it's much better than the photoshoots he is used to do in Italy (and France), in which he is so well dressed that we can barely recognize him (even if he looks really good on those pictures too :wink2:)

Goodbye Italy, it was a crazy adventure

From the door of the dressing room came up the Mika's disheveled head. He smile and ask me to wait a moment, wetting me with the spray for the plants. :naughty:

While he was waiting for the rehearsals for X Factor, the judge who has changed the face of the show, he revise the episode of the "daily" section, he dresses and chats with the staff. With him there's even his mum, a permanent presence behind the scenes of the program.

"She's part of the team for ten years." he explains. "She creates clothes for me, for the band, for the dancers. She is the head of a laboratory of 15 people: we do everything together, it is the only way in which we can really have fun."

How do you feel, at the end of this journey?

It was a crazy experience. A few months ago I didn't even say "grazie". And now... I can't believe it, the program is finished! I still feel as if I were starting.

During the rehearsals, he looks carefully the performance of his finalist, Violetta. His advice doesn't stop at the accuracy of the singing. Not convinced about a pair of shoes with high heels worn by the girl, he takes them off to her and he make sing her without shoes. But he reassures her from the table of judges: "I am superstitious so do something wrong or at least make a mistake!!"

Have you ever imagined that Violetta would come down to the final of XF?

I was hoping all my singers could arrive at this point of the program. I know that it was unlikely, but you always have to start with that intention. It's ok, I worked with the girls so that each of them earned something from this experience.

If you could go back, would you change something about your choices?

We select the tracks to sing in the competition between hundreds of songs. I mean, I love Adele, it is a friend of mine and my neighbor's house, but I did not want to give her songs. They are too obvious. I was afraid that the show would become a karaoke.

Here in Italy, did you meet someone who will inspire you a song?

I can't reply you yet... BUT there's a person that could even bring me in a new direction.

What Mika can tell us is that he is going to leave Italy immediately after the final of X Factor. First stage in France, where he will make the coach on "The Voice":"We have just recorded the selections for the "battles" : I had with me Kylie Minogue as" special coach "for a whole day, it was amazing!"

Is there a difference between France and Italy?

Here there is more chaos, cheerful anarchy. It is important because you can have fun. Italians leave me to risk. They made me choose songs of Gossip, Dolly Parton, even Passenger that was not even ever heard on the radio. They told me: if it goes wrong it's your fault!

And you were right, "Let Her Go" is at number one in the singles in Italy.

the record company sent me a case of wine! Jokes aside, I'm happy: it is a lovely song, its potential had not yet been exploited.

And after "The Voice"? Holidays?

No, after that I go to LA to record my new album

What can you tell us about the new album?

It will not be electronic. It looks more like the songs that I wrote when I was 21 years old. "The Origin Of Love", my last album, was built and very intricate. Now I change everything.

Meanwhile, the version of "Stardust" with Chiara became a hit. Did you expect it?

Life is strange. I knew that this song was special and, I said it frankly, I quarelled a lot with my record company. They wanted a new song. But it represents perfectly this moment, it sounds great, the voice of Chiara is fabulous.

Better than the original?

I think so, yes!! With Chiara the song has found its home. when you are sure of one thing, you have to take risks.

Will you make some duets with other artists?

"Not as young as her. Someone older. Indeed, much older" :teehee: he smiles, making it clear that there will be something amazing.

How do you feel, at only 30 years, to have a "greatest hits" in the italian chart?

It's a collection of songs, not a "greatest hits"! it is a concept that has no meaning. "Popular Song" has 40 million views on YouTube but in Europe has never passed on the radio. Anyway, I'm going to continue until "Volume 2" and maybe at 85 years I'll do the third.

Are you surprised about the success of the album?

I think it happens because I'm on TV to have fun, not to answer the usual questions.When you are on promotion they are all the same: "Do you like Italy? Do you like the italian food?" At "X Factor" I can be myself, I am very lucky.

Is there a hidden gem in the album that fans have to discover?

"Any Other World" is in the digital version, for me it's very important, it is one of the first songs that I wrote. it has never been a single, but it helped me to find my own style.

Do you still like to sing "Grace Kelly"?

Yes, but I change it every time. In French, on the piano, with a choir, with the orchestra. The songs have a life. You can let them destroy you or make sure that they change with you. It is essential, otherwise everything becomes false.

Will you sing something at the final?

I have an idea and I want to involve the judges. It would not have been the same without these people so colorful and eccentric.

So will you come back next year?

Now I have an album to do and it will take many months. And then a tour. It is not a "yes" or "no." It was a wonderful experience. But I make albums, I'm a musician. And I want to continue to do it.

If there are mistakes please forgive me and let me know so I can change it :wink2:

• Like 1

Goodbye Italy, it was a crazy adventure

From the door of the dressing room came up the Mika's disheveled head. He smile and ask me to wait a moment, wetting me with the spray for the plants. :naughty:

While he was waiting for the rehearsals for X Factor, the judge who has changed the face of the show, he revise the episode of the "daily" section, he dresses and chats with the staff. With him there's even his mum, a permanent presence behind the scenes of the program.

"She's part of the team for ten years." he explains. "She creates clothes for me, for the band, for the dancers. She is the head of a laboratory of 15 people: we do everything together, it is the only way in which we can really have fun."

How do you feel, at the end of this journey?

It was a crazy experience. A few months ago I didn't even say "grazie". And now... I can't believe it, the program is finished! I still feel as if I were starting.

During the rehearsals, he looks carefully the performance of his finalist, Violetta. His advice doesn't stop at the accuracy of the singing. Not convinced about a pair of shoes with high heels worn by the girl, he takes them off to her and he make sing her without shoes. But he reassures her from the table of judges: "I am superstitious so do something wrong or at least make a mistake!!"

Have you ever imagined that Violetta would come down to the final of XF?

I was hoping all my singers could arrive at this point of the program. I know that it was unlikely, but you always have to start with that intention. It's ok, I worked with the girls so that each of them earned something from this experience.

If you could go back, would you change something about your choices?

We select the tracks to sing in the competition between hundreds of songs. I mean, I love Adele, it is a friend of mine and my neighbor's house, but I did not want to give her songs. They are too obvious. I was afraid that the show would become a karaoke.

Here in Italy, did you meet someone who will inspire you a song?

I can't reply you yet... BUT there's a person that could even bring me in a new direction.

What Mika can tell us is that he is going to leave Italy immediately after the final of X Factor. First stage in France, where he will make the coach on "The Voice":"We have just recorded the selections for the "battles" : I had with me Kylie Minogue as" special coach "for a whole day, it was amazing!"

Is there a difference between France and Italy?

Here there is more chaos, cheerful anarchy. It is important because you can have fun. Italians leave me to risk. They made me choose songs of Gossip, Dolly Parton, even Passenger that was not even ever heard on the radio. They told me: if it goes wrong it's your fault!

And you were right, "Let Her Go" is at number one in the singles in Italy.

the record company sent me a case of wine! Jokes aside, I'm happy: it is a lovely song, its potential had not yet been exploited.

And after "The Voice"? Holidays?

No, after that I go to LA to record my new album

What can you tell us about the new album?

It will not be electronic. It looks more like the songs that I wrote when I was 21 years old. "The Origin Of Love", my last album, was built and very intricate. Now I change everything.

Meanwhile, the version of "Stardust" with Chiara became a hit. Did you expect it?

Life is strange. I knew that this song was special and, I said it frankly, I quarelled a lot with my record company. They wanted a new song. But it represents perfectly this moment, it sounds great, the voice of Chiara is fabulous.

Better than the original?

I think so, yes!! With Chiara the song has found its home. when you are sure of one thing, you have to take risks.

Will you make some duets with other artists?

"Not as young as her. Someone older. Indeed, much older" :teehee: he smiles, making it clear that there will be something amazing.

How do you feel, at only 30 years, to have a "greatest hits" in the italian chart?

It's a collection of songs, not a "greatest hits"! it is a concept that has no meaning. "Popular Song" has 40 million views on YouTube but in Europe has never passed on the radio. Anyway, I'm going to continue until "Volume 2" and maybe at 85 years I'll do the third.

Are you surprised about the success of the album?

I think it happens because I'm on TV to have fun, not to answer the usual questions.When you are on promotion they are all the same: "Do you like Italy? Do you like the italian food?" At "X Factor" I can be myself, I am very lucky.

Is there a hidden gem in the album that fans have to discover?

"Any Other World" is in the digital version, for me it's very important, it is one of the first songs that I wrote. it has never been a single, but it helped me to find my own style.

Do you still like to sing "Grace Kelly"?

Yes, but I change it every time. In French, on the piano, with a choir, with the orchestra. The songs have a life. You can let them destroy you or make sure that they change with you. It is essential, otherwise everything becomes false.

Will you sing something at the final?

I have an idea and I want to involve the judges. It would not have been the same without these people so colorful and eccentric.

So will you come back next year?

Now I have an album to do and it will take many months. And then a tour. It is not a "yes" or "no." It was a wonderful experience. But I make albums, I'm a musician. And I want to continue to do it.

If there are mistakes please forgive me and let me know so I can change it :wink2:

It is so moving :tears:

Thank you so much for your translation Lucrezia :flowers2::huglove: