I totally don't see why it would be disrespectful to assume that Mika had 'help' with his columns. I think every article undergoes some sort of editing in the process, before a final version is published. :dunno:

When it comes to the choice of topic, well, I have my own thoughts about that. Some of the subjects seem a bit forced to me. Not necessarily imposed on him by the magazine (or is it a newspaper?), but maybe born from the wish to be taken (more) seriously (as a columnist, as a writer, in general? I don't know...).

From what we have as a re-translation so far, I must say that, however, this last article comes closest to what I would expect and what I would like to read by him. (Apart from the abandoned art blogs, but alas, those times are gone :naughty:)

Political activist Mika kinda bores me. I have plenty of unpleasant topics in my real life, so when I come here I'm actually looking for something else than well thought-out, rhetorically refined essays about deplorable circumstances in politics/society/church...

I suppose, this is JUST ME. :naughty:

No, it's not just you. Politics and church kind of bore me too :aah:

I'll wait for the original article too, maybe it changes my mind.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanx for the column and the translations!!

And now,first of all,I want to apologize to bother all of you who are not interested in what i´m gonna say,but I need to do it…

Many posts ago,leire was commenting about some fans being mean with mika and those fans wanted to discredit mika. I feel obliged to talk about this cause I feel pointed up. It´s true,I don´t remember when,if it was the second column but it sounded to me quite odd,nothing to do with mika,and yes,I said THAT I THOUGHT he was helped,that he didn´t write it by his own. But,let me tell you all,EVERY WRITERS USE TO BE HELPED WTH THEIR CREATIONS as you can see reading the part when they say “thanks to”. Have I been disrespectful?? I don´t think so,I was just giving my opinion.

If you read all the columns in the English version you all can notice the the style change from one to others… maybe it´s the editor as someone said,I don´t know…

Anyway, i´m glad I belong to this community when all of us know each other. I´ve met lots of members here in real life,others in messenger,and I think we know who we are. People can say i´m not funny,or i´m not cool,or i´m… well,I don´t know,but hey I´M REAL!! many of you know me,i´ve spent the last year here,almost everyday,and you know my way of thinking.you know i´m proud of MFC and i´m proud of being an MFCer. First of all I admire mika for the human being he is and i´m gonna still being his fan. I don´t want to argue with anyone,i´ve never argued with anyone in real life and of course I don´t want to do it in a forum where all the people is here for the same reason: we all love mika and what he represents,so…..

To finish I want to say for the 876982769876 time that MY ENGLISH S*CKS and sometimes I may sound odd,but it´s not my intention….

I really want this discussion to finish,so I felt obliged to post this…..

:floor:

Oh yeah, you're mean, and uncool and all that jazz! :lmfao:

In fact sometimes you're so cool I actually think you're can't be real! :huglove:

As for the subject, I honestly don't know...he's very unpredictable, and so is his writing. Maybe he has had some help, maybe it was the editor, maybe it's just Mika changing his writing, who knows? Peace and love, people, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that doesn't mean you're not respecting Mika... :blink:

:floor:

Oh yeah, you're mean, and uncool and all that jazz! :lmfao:

In fact sometimes you're so cool I actually think you're can't be real! :huglove:

As for the subject, I honestly don't know...he's very unpredictable, and so is his writing. Maybe he has had some help, maybe it was the editor, maybe it's just Mika changing his writing, who knows? Peace and love, people, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that doesn't mean you're not respecting Mika... :blink:

hey you!! i think i know you... maybe we have met in a gig???:mf_rosetinted:

*spoiler* the following post has been approved for MFC audiences. The Post advertised has been rated as IMO (in my opinion) & NPI (no pun intended) by... well, me:biggrin2:

*drums*

I never studied Italian (only Latin for an year- :boxed:), and maybe that's why I only understand like 70% of the printed columns. I never spotted a difference between the two "versions" - Italian/English (nor is English my native language, but I believe that it is better than my non-existent Italian knowledge).This is why I'm asking you guys if there is really a difference between his original (as posted on the magazine's website) and the translated column.

It's not about whether it's edited or not, I'm just really curious if I'm missing something.

Thank you very much! :huglove:

--- if I'm being blurry or so, It's probably because of the maths excess - been studying almost all day ..

oh thank you,but still,language is a big problem to me to explain things... we are like 300.000 fans and i´m sure each of us has her/his own opinion about EVERYTHING... and that is fantastic,that is what makes this forum a funny place to be in. but still,i don´t see which is the problem... mika was sometimes helped with his songs,wasn´t he?? and he IS a songwriter,not a column writer,that´s why i thought he could be helped with that,in the same way he was helped by jodie in his songs :dunno:

i think he´s very creative in everything he does,and i like it. and by the way.... this last column is very mikaish... it reminds me of his drunk tweets... :aah: :aah:

I really appreciate that you wrote what you did, and I know how you struggle with your English!:huglove: It started to feel like saying that 'maybe he gets a little help in his writing' was almost like swearing in a church!:naughty:

It takes courage to dive in to a serious discussion when it's not held in your native language!:thumb_yello:

I totally don't see why it would be disrespectful to assume that Mika had 'help' with his columns. I think every article undergoes some sort of editing in the process, before a final version is published. :dunno:

When it comes to the choice of topic, well, I have my own thoughts about that. Some of the subjects seem a bit forced to me. Not necessarily imposed on him by the magazine (or is it a newspaper?), but maybe born from the wish to be taken (more) seriously (as a columnist, as a writer, in general? I don't know...).

From what we have as a re-translation so far, I must say that, however, this last article comes closest to what I would expect and what I would like to read by him. (Apart from the abandoned art blogs, but alas, those times are gone :naughty:)

Political activist Mika kinda bores me. I have plenty of unpleasant topics in my real life, so when I come here I'm actually looking for something else than well thought-out, rhetorically refined essays about deplorable circumstances in politics/society/church...

I suppose, this is JUST ME. :naughty:

Oh I really agree with this!:thumb_yello:

Nice to see you're back btw, I hope we will see you here more often!:wub2:

Many posts ago,leire was commenting about some fans being mean with mika and those fans wanted to discredit mika. I feel obliged to talk about this cause I feel pointed up. It´s true,I don´t remember when,if it was the second column but it sounded to me quite odd,nothing to do with mika,and yes,I said THAT I THOUGHT he was helped,that he didn´t write it by his own. But,let me tell you all,EVERY WRITERS USE TO BE HELPED WTH THEIR CREATIONS as you can see reading the part when they say “thanks to”. Have I been disrespectful?? I don´t think so,I was just giving my opinion.

If you read all the columns in the English version you all can notice the the style change from one to others… maybe it´s the editor as someone said,I don´t know…

I totally don't see why it would be disrespectful to assume that Mika had 'help' with his columns. I think every article undergoes some sort of editing in the process, before a final version is published.

(snip)

I suppose, this is JUST ME.

Speaking as someone who does a fair amount of editing other people's work,

I can tell you that there is bound to have been some change made to

whatever Mika originally submitted. A lot of the time, editors feel compelled

to do what we call "wordsmithing" -- that is, they feel they have to change

a word here or there to make the piece more interesting or clearer. And

some editors just like to put their own stamp on every piece that they

edit. :sneaky2: I don't like to do that -- I like to try to keep it sounding

like the author, but we have no way of knowing how much (or how little)

editing or wordsmithing was done on what Mika has been writing. :dunno:

In any case, I agree with violet -- I like to hear Mika's thoughts on most

things, but I prefer a column like this one. Just my opinion, too. :)

To finish I want to say for the 876982769876 time that MY ENGLISH S*CKS and sometimes I may sound odd,but it´s not my intention….

I think your English is great, but we all need to remember that many of

us are not native English speakers, so often meaning gets lost in the

translation. And sometimes even the tone or the way something is said

comes across wrong. I think when reading the forum, a heaping dose of

patience and tolerance and the willingness to believe the best intention

instead of the worst goes a long way. :thumb_yello:

*spoiler* the following post has been approved for MFC audiences. The Post advertised has been rated as IMO (in my opinion) & NPI (no pun intended) by... well, me:biggrin2:

I love this! Maybe we should start every post with this disclaimer! :naughty:

I never studied Italian (only Latin for an year- :boxed:), and maybe that's why I only understand like 70% of the printed columns. I never spotted a difference between the two "versions" - Italian/English (nor is English my native language, but I believe that it is better than my non-existent Italian knowledge).This is why I'm asking you guys if there is really a difference between his original (as posted on the magazine's website) and the translated column.

It's not about whether it's edited or not, I'm just really curious if I'm missing something.

Thank you very much! :huglove:

I had Italian grandparents, and studied Italian for several years, but

I am by no means a perfect speaker of the language. However, even I

read some differences in the interpretations and translations. For example

in this latest column, the word "abbraciare" -- means to hug, or embrace.

In her original translation, Nezza translated it as "hug", which creates an

entirely different image from the word "embrace." If we read it as

Mika saying he's going to "hug" his family and the people around him,

we say, "Aww, how sweet." :wub2: But when we realize what he really meant

is that he's going to try to "embrace" them, in the sense that he's

going to be more accepting and understanding and tolerant of them, which

implies maybe he wasn't so happy to have them around all the time in the

past, then that conveys an entirely different image.

So to answer your question, I think yeah, there are going to be nuances

of meaning that may get lost in the translation. So, assuming that Mika is

writing these columns in English originally, those are probably the versions

that we should be relying on to more closely understand what he was

trying to say. In my opinion. :biggrin2:

Edited by dcdeb

I really appreciate that you wrote what you did, and I know how you struggle with your English!:huglove: It started to feel like saying that 'maybe he gets a little help in his writing' was almost like swearing in a church!:naughty:

It takes courage to dive in to a serious discussion when it's not held in your native language!:thumb_yello:

thank you sienna,i really appreciate your post too!! :huglove:

@dcdeb... you are wise woman... i always love to read your post. i love how you explained about the "hug" and "embrace" thing... thank you!! :huglove: now it´s clearer to me!!

I love this! Maybe we should start every post with this disclaimer! :naughty:

:blush-anim-cl: aww, You really made me blush!

I had Italian grandparents, and studied Italian for several years, but

I am by no means a perfect speaker of the language. However, even I

read some differences in the interpretations and translations. For example

in this latest column, the word "abbraciare" -- means to hug, or embrace.

In her original translation, Nezza translated it as "hug", which creates an

entirely different image from the word "embrace." If we read it as

Mika saying he's going to "hug" his family and the people around him,

we say, "Aww, how sweet." :wub2: But when we realize what he really meant

is that he's going to try to "embrace" them, in the sense that he's

going to be more accepting and understanding and tolerant of them, which

implies maybe he wasn't so happy to have them around all the time in the

past, then that conveys an entirely different image.

So to answer your question, I think yeah, there are going to be nuances

of meaning that may get lost in the translation. So, assuming that Mika is

writing these columns in English originally, those are probably the versions

that we should be relying on to more closely understand what he was

trying to say. In my opinion. :biggrin2:

Like basicamenteyo perfectly said, you are a wise woman!, not that i EVER doubted that but your post was enlightening and well.. awesome :) Thank you for explaining the hug/embrace theory and answer my question - I wonder how Google translates "abbraciare" ( first, it was detected as an English word :boxed:, now officially your Italian is better than Google's).

I agree! :biggrin2:

@basicamenteyo thank you for your explanation.

I really didn't remember any earlier post that would have questioned the 'authorship' of these blogs and as you explain, you didn't either. To me it is pretty obvious that he needs someone to edit his blogs and even refine the way they are written. As you mention, these blogs differ enormously in style as well as in content that might make most people conclude that it is possible he gets the occasional help from some people. However, his songs are also pretty versatile and his personality is not that shallow, either :naughty:, so I am not surprised at all in the inconsistent nature of these articles in either style or content.. :teehee:

Unlike some other fans here I actually love reading "well thought-out, rhetorically refined essays about deplorable circumstances in politics/society/church..." (in Violet_Sky's words :teehee:) as well as any random thoughts that come to his mind as part of his new year / new start resolutions.

In other words, I love to expect the unexpected even when it comes to his blogs :original:

Edited by suzie

I don't see the wrong part of been helped to write a column, most when is something you haven't done before till he started with the XLs, he have help with his songs and with some artistic parts of his work, he works with his family and with a lot of people, that means help IMO, and when it's for good it's ok, I think... and I don't get to make anything clear Rosa, but it's ok, if you need to :bleh:

I don't see the wrong part of been helped to write a column, most when is something you haven't done before till he started with the XLs, he have help with his songs and with some artistic parts of his work, he works with his family and with a lot of people, that means help IMO, and when it's for good it's ok, I think... and I don't get to make anything clear Rosa, but it's ok, if you need to :bleh:

i never saw the wrong part neither,since he is helped not only by his family,as i said before,he was helped with many of this songs,so... but since someone said that,and i remember i talked about this,i needed to make things clear...

i never saw the wrong part neither,since he is helped not only by his family,as i said before,he was helped with many of this songs,so... but since someone said that,and i remember i talked about this,i needed to make things clear...

good :cheerful_h4h:

Oh I really agree with this!:thumb_yello:

Nice to see you're back btw, I hope we will see you here more often!:wub2:

We can say that we try our best :teehee:

Here is the kind and fine translation. :naughty: #2 doesn't make any sense so we'll have to go with Nezza summary.

At this point you may have guessed that the theme of this issue is Glam. When you've finished reading it all gets too much lipstick, glitter and alter ego for the whole 2011. Imagine waking up in the early hours of 2011, finding there lying on the floor sheathed in a blue suit, hair glitter and foaming at the mouth. Well, this beautiful show I was the first of January and the guilt and all of New Year's party glam rock theme to which I participated. That's why I do not want to write about Glam. This article will be much more traditional: the list of resolutions for the new year. Believe me, I need it.

1. I'll find a cannon.

The ashes of Hunter S. Thompson, the legendary American writer, were fired with a cannon from the top of a mountain in Colorado. Lighting the fuse was none other than Johnny Depp. It's a nice way to go. But forget Depp, don't know. Why spend so much money in a grave to be remembered? Better a story like this that goes around the world and will remain in memory. Periodic eye, this does not mean that he died in 2011. I just want a gun. A little 'theatricality of post mortem is not bad.

2. Be courteous, do not be cute.

Making nice is not sexy, and honest. No one appreciates it. Who's nice to do it just because you want something or you just want to lift away. Making nice and drunk as many times in a week. You feel tired and feel a lot of repressed anger. Being courteous and sincere requires more effort. The advantage is that you should not be so often. Requires more control, however, it takes discipline. But the discipline makes you feel at ease with yourself. So to be nice you feel like sh*t, you feel good to be polite. But do not be too moral, otherwise goes to idiots full of themselves.

3. Embrace the group.

I recently saw in a theatre a play about Onassis and one thing struck me. Rarely was the owner Greek scene in his entourage. It made me think of my Arab friends who always go around in groups, or rappers, with their retinue of bodyguards. I come from a large close-knit family of Lebanese origin. It's hard for me to move without any accompanying persons. This train was bothering me. As if to amplify my movements. This year my company embrace them. Although not made of hard like a rapper or as powerful as that of Onassis, I'll go around with my sisters, my mother, friends, dog, with my head held high.

4. Find a valet.

It is basically an extension of #3, but it deserves a separate item. I want a gentleman with Asian features, quiet and elegant, minute, in a suit and tie, 35 years or so, follows me like a shadow. You should not talk too much but have a degree in any obscure discipline, like the behavior of a sub-species of Amazonian ant. He will be my confidant, the other hemisphere of my brain, will be the filter with the people I meet. Scare the bad guys and reassure the good guys. We are accepting applications.

5. Working all day. You know those manuals that urge to take many vacations and clearances from their activities? Well, they're crap. If you do not work hard enough, you feel terrible. The things you've been looking forward to, like a drink after work or a good TV show no longer have the same charm. The more work all the more by the value of everything. How can it be a bad thing at my age? I hope you have some ideas. Anyway I gave them to me. Feel free to borrow any of my intentions and just do your hands down by the valet, if everyone has one might be a bit confusing. Happy New Year!

NB: I say please do not want to be a nice.

Thankyou so much !! :wub2::pinkbow:

Strange strange column but I like it! Seem Mika's style plus some new year's craziness! Let's wait for the original one anyway...translations sometimes can be tricky!

New year craziness , yay :teehee::blush-anim-cl: