I am not a native speaker but in my interpretation, the difference is that being nice mainly shows "on the surface" - ie. you smile and sign the 100th autograph even though you feel like s**t inside.

When you are kind, that refers to your attitude that comes from within yourself. You are tolerant, generous and understanding. So when you come out and see 100 people waiting for your autograph, you try to understand them with an open mind but might decide not to do the signings, anyway...ie. politely tell them that you are too tired :roftl:)

wow! I like this version most of all :thumb_yello:

so great to know that he really prefers to be kind. I mean, sincerity is the most important thing, more than a nice fake smile.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks a lot for posting the original. I enjoyed reading it a lot. I enjoyed it more with each line actually. It sounds like MIKA to me and reminds me of why I joined MFC in first place. I was delighted to see those spelling mistakes. And yes, it inspired me. :wub2:

Thanks a lot for posting the original. I enjoyed reading it a lot. I enjoyed it more with each line actually. It sounds like MIKA to me and reminds me of why I joined MFC in first place. I was delighted to see those spelling mistakes. And yes, it inspired me. :wub2:

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2: It's so human and genuine :blush-anim-cl:

Loved the original so much! :wub2: Even the stuff about the henchman kinda made sense... :teehee:

Edit: "When you don’t work enough you fell like terrible" I hugely disagree with this, but I'm happy for him to work more. :biggrin2:

Edited by EmmaImogen

I don't make this distinction between nice and kind and in fact the definition that was posted earlier listed them as synonymous.

In Finland we usually learn different translations for these two words (nice vs. kind), but not actually those meanings Mika used in his article. And a Finnish word meaning "nice" is used differently than an English word.

a nice person= cute, sweet, fun, good company

a kind person= warm, helpful, friendly

This article reminds me of his old blog posts :wub2: I miss them...

well, there's no need to feel stupid, we might know different things, mightn't we?

There are too many news out there and we can't possibly know everything :wink2:

Hahah this is true...

Thanks! It does make a difference reading it in his own words. Very interesting indeed. Too bad I can't be his henchman. I'm not Asian. Or 30. Or a man. :naughty: C'est La Vie. :aah:

I guess he views being nice as a more timid, false, and generic than being kind? Does kindness have a more subtle warmth and confidence to it?

or maybe he's just thinking of....JOHN? :naughty:

:lmfao:

i ADORE this column!!!!

so very mikaish!!!! :wub2:

*changes her legal status to asian-mid-30-man*:mf_rosetinted:

give me a spring roll,please :mf_rosetinted:

Loved the original so much! :wub2: Even the stuff about the henchman kinda made sense... :teehee:

Edit: "When you don’t work enough you fell like terrible" I hugely disagree with this, but I'm happy for him to work more. :biggrin2:

:lmfao:

In Finland we usually learn different translations for these two words (nice vs. kind), but not actually those meanings Mika used in his article. And a Finnish word meaning "nice" is used differently than an English word.

a nice person= cute, sweet, fun, good company

a kind person= warm, helpful, friendly

This article reminds me of his old blog posts :wub2: I miss them...

yes,i think it´s the same difference here in spain

I actually completely agree with him on that point.

I'm going through a very lean period of work at the moment, and it's really bringing me down. When I'm rushed off my feet, or even going along steadily, I feel great at the end of the day when I get home. I may be tired, a bit annoyed with other drivers. But in myself, I feel like I'm worth something. At the moment, I feel so far from that.

So I understand what he is saying there.

Edited by RAK1

I'm going through a very lean period of work at the moment, and it's really bringing me down. When I'm rushed off my feet, or even going along steadily, I feel great at the end of the day when I get home. I may be tired, a bit annoyed with other drivers. But in myself, I feel like I'm worth something. At the moment, I feel so far from that.

Totally understand that... :thumb_yello:

I think I see your point. :) Maybe it's different depending on what the work actually is (although it's probably not :aah:), or how the tiredness effects us/how we cope with it. When I get tired from working too much it really upsets me, I need a lot of 'down time' in order to feel refreshed, and if I don't get enough of that then I don't feel I can work efficiently when it's time to work again, and this cycle repeats itself so I always feel tired.

I love this columne! But I can´t imagine a catsiut. Does it really mean it is a animal costume?

no, it just means that it's very tight... google catsuit, then you'll know what i mean. :naughty: guess that doesn't make it better than an animal costume though, does it? :teehee:

anyway, somehow i'd love to see a pic of mika in that outfit. :naughty:

or maybe he's just thinking of....JOHN? :naughty:

:lmao: he's neither asian nor in his mid-thirties though. :teehee:

hey, was just thinking, i could provide at least one of mika's requirements, i'm in my mid-thirties, lol! :lmfao: y'know, job descriptions always just describe the ideal candidate, you don't necessarily have to fulfil ALL of them to get the job. :teehee:

http://videodrome-xl.blogautore.repubblica.it/2011/01/12/mika-pop-up-2/

But we all know that discipline makes you feel better about yourself.

is that so? :blink: i never was a very disciplined person, but from what i know, i can't agree with mika there. if i bring up the discipline to do something i hate, just because it has to be done or someone wants me to do it, it doesn't make me feel better at all. of course it's true that you feel better if you have the discipline to achieve your own goals, but that doesn't mean for me that discipline as such makes you feel better about yourself. :dunno:

no, it just means that it's very tight... google catsuit, then you'll know what i mean. :naughty: guess that doesn't make it better than an animal costume though, does it? :teehee:

anyway, somehow i'd love to see a pic of mika in that outfit. :naughty:

OMG, I did it :floor::floor::floor::stretcher: . Now I think I will never get that image out of my head. I´m dying with laughter right now. Hope I won´t start laughing the next time I see him live. OMG OMG OMG :roftl:

Edited by Sabine64

I really enjoyed reading it! :wub2: And I especially loved the kind vs nice part, I can totally relate to it and always see this kind of distinction in people around me.

The bit that confused me though is what he said about the entourage thing.. I first thought he didn't like at and he feels uncomfortable surrounded by all those people but then he says he must embrace his entourage more? :blink: So does he like it or not? Or did he feel uncomfortable at the past but now he values the fact that they're with him more than before?

I really enjoyed reading it! :wub2: And I especially loved the kind vs nice part, I can totally relate to it and always see this kind of distinction in people around me.

The bit that confused me though is what he said about the entourage thing.. I first thought he didn't like at and he feels uncomfortable surrounded by all those people but then he says he must embrace his entourage more? :blink: So does he like it or not? Or did he feel uncomfortable at the past but now he values the fact that they're with him more than before?

I think it's that! :thumb_yello: (well, at least I read it that way)

I have to agree with everyone who has been saying this sounds like the "old" Mika. I love the little quirks and spelling errors in the original text. It affords a very real quality, kind of like the blogs from days gone by. :wub2:

This column seems to epitomize that "something" about Mika that's just so damn endearing... the quirky, offbeat, bizarrely intelligent lens though which he views the world. Like the line "A little post life theatre can’t be a bad thing." That's just so Mika, in 10 words or less. :teehee:

And the random thing about the henchman. "...must have a doctorate in something obscure, like the behaviour of a subspecies of amazonian red ant." I love that. :roftl: Or "Those guides are written by self promoting workaholics who want you to buy their books, feel crap again and then buy another one." :lmao:

Reading this just makes me want to hug him and be like "Don't ever change." :blush-anim-cl:

How about this one: "We all know that discipline makes you feel better about yourself." True? Untrue? Discuss. :teehee:

Oh mercy, do you think he got the idea for the catsuit from Jake Shears? :teehee:

I was always surprised to hear him say that he traveled seperately from his family on tour. Maybe the past few months changed his viewpoint.

I have to say though it would be very hard to work, live and travel with your family all the time. I wondered if that's why he bought a house, to gain some privacy and space.

I agree with him, most people being nice just want something.

So, he's totally crazy :mf_rosetinted: That's all I'm saying now :mf_rosetinted: as the main thought I had reading the whole thing :mf_rosetinted:

Sorry, I can't read your discussion right now, it's too late and gotta get up early :aah:

Edit: Loved this line too: "A little post life theatre can’t be a bad thing."

And yeah, it was fun to see all those mistakes :teehee:

*apparently I decided to read :aah:

I get the thing of working more, I think it's like everything, if you get much of something, then that something is not that special anymore. If you work all the time, you value your free time more. It's like when I say that waiting for him to come for 4 years made it even more special :wub2:

And the asian guy he wants... just :mf_rosetinted:

And deff, the harder to translate, it was so him.

Ok, I am off :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by sweet.pixie

redant.gif BUMP! . . . and thanx.

I like it very much indeed. :wub2:

Think that his distinction between nice and polite has sense, cos he writes about supressed anger beneath the surface of your "smiling face". That's how he feels about meaning of this world and I can agree with that.:biggrin2:

And that's very true, it's a very fake attitude sometimes. Then he speaks about having control, discipline and hard work in order to achive your goals.:wink2:

Very imaginitive, playful, witty and smart column, not only for fun even though it might look like that.:thumb_yello:

do anyone of you think if when he talks about being kind or nice he is referring maybe not to the fans but to all those VIP whom he is supossed to be kind because they maybe can give him shoes or clothes???? and maybe if he is too nice he can be misinterpreted?? :aah:

EDIT:woah,does this sentence make sense????

Edited by basicamenteyo