2011 - MIKA in Compiègne, France - 9 July - REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS

Blue Sky

if this new album is anything like these other 2 songs well i guess i will be buying some earplugs & just looking at mika for 1 1/2 hrs at his next gig :floor:

Oh my :lmfao:

As for the pdp and rain connection, while I'm sure the songs sounded better in person, I'm a bit concerned that MFCers at the gig seems to be saying "gig was great" rather than "new songs are great"- when it was the new songs that lured a lot of them into travelling.

I'll be interested to hear more of people's impressions although the truth is I only trust my own ears. We all have such diverse tastes and I always seem to differ with non-native speakers on what constitutes a good lyric.

I think I did see Louiza yesterday tweet Mika that she loved the songs though (and not just the gig)...?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well well, kinda rolled-up trousers again :naughty: esp. for Rosita.

But if serious, I admire every bit of stage design, costumes, wigs! It's what always fascinated me. Imma is gorgeous! Her dress is amazing, and she looks so beautiful in this wig.

As for the new songs, I still can't judge. They are beautiful, pleasant ant cute, but It wasn't a strike for me at all. But maybe after listening to it again (and in the better quality), I will like them more. BWeather sounds a bit "I've heard it before" due to the duet.

They're all going to be bonus songs, though. So if Mika sticks to the plan, for once, then it should be something like 12 English songs + 3-5 French songs. :naughty:

yeah bonus tracks that us english will hear & cant enjoy as they are french .... well "in my opinion" i wont as i cant understand what the songs all about :( 1 french song`s fine but to do more is singling other nationality out .... like not worthly grrrrrr !

I'll be interested to hear more of people's impressions although the truth is I only trust my own ears. We all have such diverse tastes and I always seem to differ with non-native speakers on what constitutes a good lyric.

That is because we don't understand them the same way you do!:roftl:

Arghh, this is so hard to explain:blush-anim-cl: but if I listen to a song in Swedish I definitely have higher expectations that the lyrics should make some kind of sense, I can't really expect that the same way when the lyrics are in English. I don't have the same references and associations in a language that I've learned as an adult!

If that makes any sense at all?!:boxed:

They're all going to be bonus songs, though. So if Mika sticks to the plan, for once, then it should be something like 12 English songs + 3-5 French songs. :naughty:

Has he said that? Sounds satisfactory to me!:thumb_yello:

Queueing was ridiculous, people where there at ****ing 2 am! Numbers didn't work and random people got front row. Nobody in front of me moved FFS. Like the new songs, Mika was lovely as usual. M&G very hectic, managed to give him my book. He wanted to sign it but I said no it's for you. He said he'd look at it later and then looked up and smiled at me and said ooooh hi! But yeah even paparazzi, they were very rude.

Going to the belgian festival at 4, too tired to be bothered to go there at ridiculous 'o clock to be at the front. Going to have lunch now!

I enjoy the sound of Mika singing in French and in a way I don't even question it any more, as it feels as if he's been courting France as a market for a while now. :dunno: He's popular there and as such he is wise to pander a little to that market. Fair enough.

As I speak and understand French (albeit poorly these days) it isn't a strain on my ears, but I understand it might be for those who don't know the language. If he was singing in German, for example, I would probably complain a bit :naughty:.

If the French songs are indeed going to be bonus tracks, and we must believe Mika on that (yes we MUST :aah:) then I can't see they will feature much if at all on a UK tour. We can expect 12 new songs in English eventually and as that IS his main language - he is not even partly French after all - then that's how it should be :mf_rosetinted: But as he is marketed as an international artist, he needs other strings to his bow and good luck to him.

Nobody in front of me moved FFS.

Do you mean they didn't dance or they wouldn't get out of your way? :naughty:

What was the book you gave him?

Anyway have a great time at Les Ardentes. Hopefully it's a lot more chill!

Do you mean they didn't dance or they wouldn't get out of your way? :naughty:

What was the book you gave him?

Anyway have a great time at Les Ardentes. Hopefully it's a lot more chill!

Sorry I was eating and typing at the same time. I meant no danxing and kept looking at me like WTF when I danced like crazy hehe.

I wrote stories based on his songs, marianne did illustrations and liu the cover. I knew it would be hectic, so I put a letter in there. Hope he will really look at it.

Well I doubt it since they started queueing early with numbers at a festival. We are not bothered though, will see where we will end up :)

Erm yeah... I think I'll wait for the recorded versions, but I have to say I'm not at all impressed by either 82 Rue des Martyrs nor Blame it on the Weather... The quality isn't good so it doesn't help... Blame it on the Weather bores me and 82 is, don't know... Why does he want to sing in French? I'm a French speaker so obviously, I like my language, but I've always thought that English is a far better language for music... I honestly start feeling quite worried about Mika's new album :huh:

ok.....:shocked:....... wait did he decide using EMD as single having this song?? :shocked: it´s fantastic!!!! :shocked: I mean the one in french,Karen.... oh God, it´s.... :shocked: :shocked:

It's absolutely gorgeous, and it's almost like an opera song! He also sings it like that, putting all his heart and soul into it!

Surly it will be on the download with Elle Me Dit! I think he chose EMD because it's light and dancy for the summer, but that other song, Karen, is superb any time!

I enjoy the sound of Mika singing in French and in a way I don't even question it any more, as it feels as if he's been courting France as a market for a while now. :dunno: He's popular there and as such he is wise to pander a little to that market. Fair enough.

As I speak and understand French (albeit poorly these days) it isn't a strain on my ears, but I understand it might be for those who don't know the language. If he was singing in German, for example, I would probably complain a bit :naughty:.

If the French songs are indeed going to be bonus tracks, and we must believe Mika on that (yes we MUST :aah:) then I can't see they will feature much if at all on a UK tour. We can expect 12 new songs in English eventually and as that IS his main language - he is not even partly French after all - then that's how it should be :mf_rosetinted: But as he is marketed as an international artist, he needs other strings to his bow and good luck to him.

He makes some songs in French and some fans doing critics. I always hear Mika singing in english, and french fans not complaining about it, some fan undestand nothing because it's in english. For me it's not a problem because I love english. If a day he sing in spanish or italian I will love too if songs are good. In german I'm not sure because the only music I love in german it's Rammstein :naughty:

But Mika said since a long time that he wants to make songs in french but that he had to find a good song writer.

It's just because France represente his childhood, french is his mother tongue, that why when he speaks french he speaks like a little boy (so cute :wub2: ).

He has more success in France than in England or Germany or USA that's a fact, and I don't think he needs to sing in french to sell more records in this country.

He is attach to England too, especially to London, and I understand why I love England and London too.

I think all the critics in the fact that he make some songs in french is the result of a certain jalousy.

I read lots of fans comments in some threads and forums, saying why Mika speaks french in french concerts :boxed: I remind to some people that he speaks spanish at spanish gigs :biggrin2:

It's like when I was at the Hammersmith Apolo gig last year, the first night, I had on my left two Mika fans speaking and saying that they hope that the futur DVD will not be again filmed in France. I don't understand those kind of reactions, I'm happy to see a new DVD I don't care if it's filmed in England, Germany, USA, Brazil, Japon, Spain, Italy,....

Edited by Sephira

Just found this video of his duet with Ida!! (Blame it on the weather)

OMG BIOTW is incerdible! They sound wonderful together and Mika, once again, sounds like he's almost singing opera!

These new songs will certainly have his critics eating their words and also, taking him far more seriously, as a singer and musician.

And polarizing opinion, as usual. Just read back a few pages Marilyn!

By the way, a reminder that this is the gig report thread, so if people would like to discuss the new songs, can you perhaps drop over to their own threads, there is one for each song.

We need some gig-goers to get back here with their reports, photos and vids, but I think they must all be in Liege.

Here's another video of 'Karen' song. Don't think it was posted already and I guess the sound here is a bit clearer :wink2:

[YOUTUBE]jOIe7Ue4r5s[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: I just noticed Martin with the wig :lmfao:

Edited by Miro

:naughty: Love your honesty- as always. It's what this forum needs more of, in my opinion! :aah:

I think this forum is quite sincere, but sincere not always means "disagreing"... I was sincere the first time I heard EMD and I disliked it. But I was sincere too, when two days after that, I listened to it again, and then I liked it... so... :dunno: I think we are all grown up people and we do always say what we think.

We all have such diverse tastes and I always seem to differ with non-native speakers on what constitutes a good lyric.

I agree here with you. In fact my english is not good and when I listen to the songs for the very first time I usually don´t understand much of them... (well, I understand "I can be a thunder and you can be the rain" or something like that in this new song BIOTW, but for the songs of TBWKTM, when I listened to them for the very first time, I understand the same as I understand now of that "Karen" song...I mean, nothing :aah:

Well well, kinda rolled-up trousers again :naughty: esp. for Rosita.

Oh,no, I can stand this pants!! :aah: the rolled up were "pukable" :aah:

That is because we don't understand them the same way you do!:roftl:

Arghh, this is so hard to explain:blush-anim-cl: but if I listen to a song in Swedish I definitely have higher expectations that the lyrics should make some kind of sense, I can't really expect that the same way when the lyrics are in English. I don't have the same references and associations in a language that I've learned as an adult!

If that makes any sense at all?!:boxed:

Yes, exactly my thoughts. :thumb_yello:

We need some gig-goers to get back here with their reports, photos and vids, but I think they must all be in Liege.

Yoppa posted her report in the other thread. Perhaps it should be copied here, too.