Mika and Carla Bruni on Michel Legrand's Christmas Album

BiaIchihara

So you wouldn't be a fan of the new Tony Bennett album then?

The compliation of classics, with contemporary singers.

I haven't listened to it so I'm not sure. I saw some clips of the recording with Amy Winehouse, but Amy Winehouse sang jazz for years before Back to Black came out so she's not exactly Andy Williams singing Jingle Bells. :naughty:

Likewise I really enjoy Michael Bublé and Harry Connick Jr. reinterpreting old standards but that's what they do. Mika's original songs are 10x better than their originals (IMO) but I think they do these covers much better than other contemporary singers because that's their genre.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that sounds about right. It's a bit of a shame that all these people were brought together on one album and couldn't showcase their own styles and interpretations, but I guess that wasn't the idea of the project. :dunno:

Totally agree with you.

As for me, who is very far from the culture to which this song feels close (God, I don't know how to say it properly) the song is just boring.

I mean, in my country this song (even Jingle Bells) is not a symbol of Xmas, so I can tell about this song in cold blood. Let it Snow sounded awesome in Mika's performance, and this song is rather featureless.

Maybe if I hear this song in its full for several tines, I will change my mind. But now I'm not impressed.

well....I kinda love this song! funny I had to hear this snippet 3 times to fully sure this is Mika's voice for real!! :lmfao: It sounds so different....and boss M again showed us he could vary his voice and rule the song very different new way.... genious!

love Let it snow of course, its more 'typical Mika' but this vive le vent is more new! loveit :thumb_yello:

anyone could buy full version of this song, or should we wait till 27th Nov to buy the album? hmmm

wonder should I buy from fnac and pay insane amount of shipping cost for this.....:mf_rosetinted:

well....I kinda love this song! funny I had to hear this snippet 3 times to fully sure this is Mika's voice for real!! :lmfao: It sounds so different....and boss M again showed us he could vary his voice and rule the song very different new way.... genious!

love Let it snow of course, its more 'typical Mika' but this vive le vent is more new! loveit :thumb_yello:

anyone could buy full version of this song, or should we wait till 27th Nov to buy the album? hmmm

wonder should I buy from fnac and pay insane amount of shipping cost for this.....:mf_rosetinted:

The range of the song does suit his lower voice and shows he can sing in a different style. I've never been that keen on Jingle Bells and would have prefered a French version of a different song. But this is just something extra, not his own composition or part of the new album. I think it stands alone okay, and it will help Mika in the publicity stakes, so I like it fine.

Actually, I was not expecting much more from Vive le vent but it's not Mika's fault :naughty:

Having said that, I really like when he uses his lower voice like here and his slight Parisian street urchin accent is pretty funny :teehee:

but the musical arrangments cover too much his voice and that's a pity

Now waiting for a real new song! :biggrin2:

Funny to compare this album version of Let it snow by Jamie Cullum with the one made by Mika in 2009 :teehee:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B006256XTO/ref=dm_dp_trk1

You understand better the entire atmosphere of the Legrand's album and the gap with what Mika is able to do with a song when he works with his own sensitivity :wink2:

Althought I think it would have been hard to do better with Vive le vent :roftl:

Actually, I was not expecting much more from Vive le vent but it's not Mika's fault :naughty:

Having said that, I really like when he uses his lower voice like here and his slight Parisian street urchin accent is pretty funny :teehee:

Totally agree (except that I can't recognize his accent of course). I really enjoy his voice here :wub2: Such a shame the music is covering it too much.

Funny to compare this album version of Let it snow by Jamie Cullum with the one made by Mika in 2009 :teehee:

You understand better the entire atmosphere of the Legrand's album and the gap with what Mika is able to do with a song when he works with his own sensitivity :wink2:

Althought I think it would have been hard to do better with Vive le vent :roftl:

Yes, the whole album seems to be the same style. We are lucky to have Mika's earlier lovely version for Let It Snow!

Edited by tiibet

So Mika's accent is Parisian? I cant really recognize the different French accents, so thanks for clarifying that:thumb_yello:

Indeed. That is also over the top. :aah: Actually the arrangements remind me of the Christmas shows at Radio City Music Hall which I guess has its merits (the shows are amazing) but it's not something I want to listen to at home because it's just sort of background music to the visuals.

I think Bublé's Jingle Bells is quite good. It's different and fun.

[YOUTUBE]dW683l0vGKk[/YOUTUBE]

So Mika's accent is Parisian? I cant really recognize the different French accents, so thanks for clarifying that:thumb_yello:

Yes, he has a slight accent of what we called a Titi Parisien in the 40s

parisien.gif

I think Bublé's Jingle Bells is quite good. It's different and fun.

Indeed this version is quite good :thumb_yello:

But for me, Jingle Bells is not Vive Le Vent. I guess I get stuck on the lyrics :naughty:

Live the wind, live the wind,

Live the winter wind,

Which goes whistling, blowing

In the big green Christmas trees, oh! :blink:

Live the weather, live the weather,

Live the winter weather,

Snowballs and new year's day

and happy new year Grandma! :roftl:

Yes, he has a slight accent of what we called a Titi Parisien in the 40s

parisien.gif

why am i not surprised that this is what his accent sounds like...:biggrin2: mayb it was all ye ole french singers he listened to as he was growing up?..:wink2:

But for me, Jingle Bells is not Vive Le Vent. I guess I get stuck on the lyrics :naughty:

Live the winter wind,

Live the winter weather,

Oh wow :roftl: Jingle bells was not even written for Christmas so yes that is quite different :naughty:

Oh wow :roftl: Jingle bells was not even written for Christmas so yes that is quite different :naughty:

Mika singing "Vive le vent" made me consider the lyrics and I twitted about it: how come can we sing such a song??! I hate frosty winter winds like most people and snow is nice only when you don't have to drive or walk a lot :aah::teehee:

Indeed this version is quite good :thumb_yello:

Live the winter wind,

Live the winter weather,

Happy New Year Grandma :roftl::roftl::roftl:

All I want to sing is "winter, winter (or wind wind) go away , we want to go outside (well seaside actually :naughty: ) and play"

:roftl:

I actually do really like the imagery of the English Jingle Bells with the horses and sleigh bells. I guess I always imagine there are lots of blankets and gluhwein involved so it's nice and cozy. I don't want to hear about blowing winter wind though. :roftl: