Mika and Carla Bruni on Michel Legrand's Christmas Album

BiaIchihara

for those in the US: http://www.amazon.com/Noel-Michel-Legrand/dp/B005TOR9FG/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1320355571&sr=8-26

"This title will be released on December 27, 2011."

wtf! that's a little effing late for christmas!!!

I heard sth about 20 sth of november...maybe in Europe only...too late for me too. don't know if it's true...

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw :teehee: I kind of know what you mean, it's kind of because it's soooo over the top christmas-y stuff! Even for Mika!:naughty:

OTT indeed. It reminds me of those Christmas Specials that people like Andy Williams used to do. Such a cheesy arrangement :naughty:

His voice is OK though :thumb_yello:

OTT indeed. It reminds me of those Christmas Specials that people like Andy Williams used to do. Such a cheesy arrangement :naughty:

Precisely. That ain't the kind of jazz I listen to. :naughty:

for those in the US: http://www.amazon.com/Noel-Michel-Legrand/dp/B005TOR9FG/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1320355571&sr=8-26

"This title will be released on December 27, 2011."

wtf! that's a little effing late for christmas!!!

:doh: And they wonder why people steal music.

ps. to me it's not a cheesy arangement at all. it's a christmas song not a jazz jamboree (or jazz in montreux...that's the best metaphor I can find now...., and I love jazz btw, don't like smooth jazz that much...).....it's a pure delight to my ears....

On Amazon.fr you can listen an extract of Vive Le Vent:

http://www.amazon.fr/Vive-Le-Vent/dp/B00625700U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320350536&sr=8-1

Thanks to Julia!!

Thats even better than I expected. Very jazzy, old school Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin style, love it!!! and his voice sounds once again pretty amazing:wub2:

Cant wait to listen to the whole song now:biggrin2:

Thanks for posting Lucrezia and Julia:thumb_yello:

Oh and Lucrezia your siggie is fantastic!!

Well, I've listened to the extract twice and if the whole song is similar, I will take it for what it is: something extra in Mika's music. I don't think I will buy it. To be honest, if the rest of the song is on the same wavelenght, I probably won't play it (a lot).

"Vive le vent" is not "Let it snow". "Let it snow":wub2: was really good. I still love playing it.

I know Michel Legrand is one of those big names in music, etc but the arrangements so far are not really my cup of tea (even if I like jazz or jazzy music, Bubblé, Harry Connick Jr or Robbie Williams' Swing When You're Winning). Mika is not out of tune but this extract of the song does not show people how great his voice is, there's no falsetto (which is one of his trademarks).

The best version of the song for me is this one:

(by Henri Salvador) Edited by macboll

(by Henri Salvador)

Yes that is proper jazzy. I think this song is inherently cheesy so you're always going to be walking a fine line if you record a version in 2011. Anyway I'm assuming the arrangement is not Mika's doing and it would have had the same vibe no matter who sung it. It could be just the mp3 quality but I think the music overpowers his vocals as well.

Yes that is proper jazzy. I think this song is inherently cheesy so you're always going to be walking a fine line if you record a version in 2011. Anyway I'm assuming the arrangement is not Mika's doing and it would have had the same vibe no matter who sung it. It could be just the mp3 quality but I think the music overpowers his vocals as well.

100% with you :thumb_yello: FrenchDeb wrote on the French forum that the whole album was like this, even Iggy Pop's song and that maybe they recorded the singers' voices and added the music/arrangements afterwards.

100% with you :thumb_yello: FrenchDeb wrote on the French forum that the whole album was like this, even Iggy Pop's song and that maybe they recorded the singers' voices and added the music/arrangements afterwards.

Yeah that sounds about right. It's a bit of a shame that all these people were brought together on one album and couldn't showcase their own styles and interpretations, but I guess that wasn't the idea of the project. :dunno:

I thought it could be like this, and I'm curious to hear the other songs. Personally I'm not a jazz person at all, and not big fan of this jazzy christmassy style either, but it's good to hear his voice (and this song made me smile :teehee:).

Well, I've listened to the extract twice and if the whole song is similar, I will take it for what it is: something extra in Mika's music. I don't think I will buy it. To be honest, if the rest of the song is on the same wavelenght, I probably won't play it (a lot).

"Vive le vent" is not "Let it snow". "Let it snow":wub2: was really good. I still love playing it.

Totally agree with you, on all points.

It could be just the mp3 quality but I think the music overpowers his vocals as well.

Yes, I thought that, as well. Oh well. :dunno:

(by Henri Salvador)
Yes that is proper jazzy.

I think most would have probably expected a 'proper' jazzy version given the arranger whilst this version is a mixture of jazz/swing and 60s French pop backing vocals.

I assumed the French would love this as it is a rather Francophonic version of Jingle Bells but maybe it is a generational thing and not everyone is pleased to hear Serge Gainsbourg's choir in Jingle bells. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

I assumed the French would love this as it is a rather Francophonic version of Jingle Bells but maybe it is a generational thing

Yes I mean isn't that what it comes down to? I wouldn't be interested in an Andy Williams English version of Jingle Bells so I can imagine it's the same in France. There was a compilation popular in the late 90s with Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Doris Day et al and it was kind of hip in an ironic way. I still love it and listen to it. But they are singing songs they made classics in another era, not Christmas carols in 2011.

Yes I mean isn't that what it comes down to? I wouldn't be interested in an Andy Williams English version of Jingle Bells so I can imagine it's the same in France. There was a compilation popular in the late 90s with Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Doris Day et al and it was kind of hip in an ironic way. I still love it and listen to it. But they are singing songs they made classics in another era, not Christmas carols in 2011.

So you wouldn't be a fan of the new Tony Bennett album then?

The compliation of classics, with contemporary singers.

Edited by RAK1