2012 Heaven, London UK - July 26 - REPORTS / PICTURES / VIDEOS

guylainem123

About HEAVEN night :biggrin2:

Concert review: Mika showcases new album The Origin of Love at London’s Heaven

Mika fans were quite literally in the proverbial as the British singer-songwriter played to a wildly enthusiastic crowd at popular nightclub Heaven last night.

The venue was packed right back to the bar and staircases and balconies were lined with admirers as Mika took to the stage for his first gig in the UK promoting his latest album, The Origin of Love.

Fans told to arrive for “8.30pm SHARP” due to the club’s strict curfew waited impatiently as the minutes ticked past; when he finally appeared Mika apologised for his lateness – and endeared himself to practically everyone present – with, “I was supposed to do a radio interview but I freaked out and locked myself in the bathroom.”

It is this mix of frankness and charisma that makes Mika such a fantastic performer. Studio recordings simply don’t do justice to the sheer exuberance of Mika live; it’s like listening to a completely different artist. His adoring audience clapped, swayed and sang as he leapt about the stage, bashed at the piano keys, danced on the piano, and enacted slapstick routines with his band members, investing hits like Billy Brown and Blame it on the Girls with an energy and intensity that make their recorded versions sound remote and chill. At one point he reminded me of nothing more than an over-grown puppy frisking about the stage and basking in the general adulation.

There was a good mix of hits from across Miko’s three albums (Life In Cartoon Motion and The Boy Who Knew Too Much are his first two), although most people seemed to know his newest songs just as well as the older ones. Songs like Lola, Rain and Happy Ending had everyone singing so loud that Mika was able to harmonise above them, and collective hand-clapping featured throughout. In fact, the audience was more or less euphoric for the entire hour and a half, any lapses in energy being quickly corrected with a cascade of giant balloons or a blast of confetti from the balcony.

Mika’s vocal prowess was on full display as he plunged from falsetto to baritone with ease. His characteristically nasal tone and chewed-up vowels perfectly suited the snappy, pop-cum-cabaret melodies, while his band clearly revelled in the thick instrumental harmonies and galloping beats. The slapstick theatrics continued throughout the whole performance; during Love Today he mimed shooting band members one by one before turning the gun on himself and lying dead on the piano – then springing back up in a virtual resurrection for one last resounding chorus. The energy and noise snowballed through We Are Golden to finish with a rendition of the ridiculously catchy hit song Grace Kelly. And, of course, he was called back to give a heartfelt encore titled, fittingly enough, Origin of Love. And if the rapture in Heaven was anything to go by, the album has a very successful future ahead.

Marion Rankine

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2012/07/28/concert-review-mika-showcases-new-album-the-origin-of-love-at-londons-heaven/

:mikalove:

@Jazzy, fabulous report! Loved it!

I felt like you needed one more paragraph - the "Oh yes, and I got to go backstage and chat with Mika" paragraph...did that actually happen?

And I like the "rapture in Heaven" part of the other review too. But especially this: "In fact, the audience was more or less euphoric for the entire hour and a half" ....:aah: the Mika gig we know and love is back:wub2:

I felt like you needed one more paragraph - the "Oh yes, and I got to go backstage and chat with Mika" paragraph...did that actually happen?

And I like the "rapture in Heaven" part of the other review too. But especially this: "In fact, the audience was more or less euphoric for the entire hour and a half" ....:aah:the Mika gig we know and love is back:wub2:

Yeah, Jazzy's report is fantastic. Very well written!

Re the bolded part, that is what I felt...yes, there are bits that I don't like, and that annoy me, like killing the band (yawn), jumping on the piano and just any theatrical elements, but in general it felt like the good old times and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Reading other people's reviews though, I saw a couple of complaints about being too tired/feet hurting and that sort of thing, which of course would impair one's enjoyment. I am very happy that I literally got there just before he came on stage, got a good spot anyway and loved the gig with all my energy intact.

If I had been standing for hours waiting for him to come on and/or queuing outside, I am sure that I would have enjoyed the gig a lot less, because these things often put you in the wrong frame of mind and just tire you out unnecessarily.

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. It was kind of difficult to write because usually I just let my fingers wreak havoc on the keyboard but this called for a little more finesse I felt. Really pleased you liked it though! Would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling the pressure a little.

And I like the "rapture in Heaven" part of the other review too. But especially this: "In fact, the audience was more or less euphoric for the entire hour and a half" ....:aah: the Mika gig we know and love is back:wub2:

Meh, that extra paragraph might make it to the MFC at some point but really there was nothing particularly relavent to the world in there. We had a really brilliant time and Mika was as lovely as ever but at the moment it's living in my memory box. :)

Yeah, Jazzy's report is fantastic. Very well written!

Re the bolded part, that is what I felt...yes, there are bits that I don't like, and that annoy me, like killing the band (yawn), jumping on the piano and just any theatrical elements, but in general it felt like the good old times and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Reading other people's reviews though, I saw a couple of complaints about being too tired/feet hurting and that sort of thing, which of course would impair one's enjoyment. I am very happy that I literally got there just before he came on stage, got a good spot anyway and loved the gig with all my energy intact.

If I had been standing for hours waiting for him to come on and/or queuing outside, I am sure that I would have enjoyed the gig a lot less, because these things often put you in the wrong frame of mind and just tire you out unnecessarily.

It's weird actually ... when I went to see Garbage in May ... my feet and knees hurting me did ruin that gig for me - that's why I'm not that keen on standing gigs much anymore ... they both hurt whilst I was waiting for Mika ... the moment he came on ... I didn't even notice it ... not for the entire show ... every other artist I go too ... I have the knees and feet problem ... always did through Blur and Franz ... but every Mika show ... nothing ... why ... I don't get it ... I bloody felt it after he'd gone off stage and I made my way outside ... they were killing me - I don't understand it at all ... I don't think I ever will ... maybe his music contains some killer drugs in the air - that get rid of aches and pains whilst your listening to it :teehee: That must be it :wink2:

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. It was kind of difficult to write because usually I just let my fingers wreak havoc on the keyboard but this called for a little more finesse I felt. Really pleased you liked it though! Would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling the pressure a little.

Meh, that extra paragraph might make it to the MFC at some point but really there was nothing particularly relavent to the world in there. We had a really brilliant time and Mika was as lovely as ever but at the moment it's living in my memory box. :)

It's hard to describe, isn't it, the moments when you meet Mika. I think, because, at that moment he's looking right at you and giving you his full attention, you feel it's a private thing between you and him.

That's what it's always been for me anyway. Those moments are really precious and hard to describe.

Your report was wonderful, well done!

It's hard to describe, isn't it, the moments when you meet Mika. I think, because, at that moment he's looking right at you and giving you his full attention, you feel it's a private thing between you and him.

That's what it's always been for me anyway. Those moments are really precious and hard to describe.

Your report was wonderful, well done!

It's not that it's hard to describe - I've got a degree in what is essentially describing things, but it wasn't really part of the show. Not in my eyes anyway. We just chilled and chatted and it was really nice but like I said, not really relavent to the world.

Plus, what happens backstage stays backstage. ;)

Oh, I keep forgetting to reply to the posts by Vicky and someone else re Joy chewing gum on stage. I also noticed, and I was appalled!!! It looked so...I don't know, I have no words to describe it. Just really sloppy and unprofessional, and just wrong. I have no idea what prompted her to do that, but I was really unimpressed.

I know that people will now slate me for it, but in general I am quite unimpressed by her in general. I really don't see what is special about this woman that the previous singers didn't have, and I don't think that it's a change in a positive direction. For example, the pianist point is a good one: David was not really a good pianist and the new guy is. But I really don't find Joy a better singer (or anything) than iMMa or even than Saranayde, and I can't see the appeal in hear AT ALL.

But I really don't find Joy a better singer (or anything) than iMMa or even than Saranayde, and I can't see the appeal in hear AT ALL.

I just like the tone and soul in her voice. That is my taste. It's not about who is better.

I just like the tone and soul in her voice. That is my taste. It's not about who is better.

Well, it may not be about who is better objectively, but who people prefer, which will make them say that they think it's a better choice.

The only song that she does where I find her contribution is worthwile is Celebrate, and still that one song doesn't make up for the rest for me personally.

Well, it may not be about who is better objectively, but who people prefer, which will make them say that they think it's a better choice.

The only song that she does where I find her contribution is worthwile is Celebrate, and still that one song doesn't make up for the rest for me personally.

She is also a percussionist :wink2: But this is not an excuse for chewing gum on stage :sneaky2:

She is also a percussionist :wink2: But this is not an excuse for chewing gum on stage :sneaky2:

Well, the thing is, I don't doubt her 'qualifications', but to be honest I just don't see the spectacular added value of it :dunno:

Yes, at some point at Heaven she was hitting on the cymbals at the same time as the drummer was playing, but IMHO it didn't sound like anything added, and also he could have done it too. It looked more like a gimmick, or a game, or for fun, like when Mika and Cherisse used to do their little 'drum off' routines :wink2:

That's how I see it, anyway.

I'm not trying to slate this poor woman, far from it, but just saying that I was not personally blown away in any shape or form the two times I saw her on stage with him, and in fact the last time I was quite put off due to the gum incident. And before anyone says anything, I am not saying this out of some stupidly understood "loyalty" to Imma, etc, because I actually think that she is fantastic and should shine in her own light as a vocalist, and not as someone's backing singer, but this is just my feeling on the new backing singer.

The same goes for the bass player and drummer, though. The only one that I am seeing an improvement with is the piano guy!

I do not know about Laura, but after having a couple of unpleasant experiences with Mika fans in the past few weeks, I'd rather not share any details about our moment with him. It was lovely and a dream and that is everything other people may know at this point, if it was up to me. I don't know if Laura wants to post about it at some point, but for now, it will just be our private moment and memory and I only like to share it with my friends who are genuinely happy for us, instead of spiteful and envious. If you understand what I am saying?:wink2:

That is why I've decided not to report on either gigs, and not sure if I will ever do so again, because sharing my joy with the forum has mostly brought me sh*t and scarred the memories.

I do not know about Laura, but after having a couple of unpleasant experiences with Mika fans in the past few weeks, I'd rather not share any details about our moment with him. It was lovely and a dream and that is everything other people may know at this point, if it was up to me. I don't know if Laura wants to post about it at some point, but for now, it will just be our private moment and memory and I only like to share it with my friends who are genuinely happy for us, instead of spiteful and envious. If you understand what I am saying?:wink2:

That is why I've decided not to report on either gigs, and not sure if I will ever do so again, because sharing my joy with the forum has mostly brought me sh*t and scarred the memories.

I totaly agree that you don't want to rapport your backstage experience some thing should be said and others should be private; Glad you and Laura enjoyed it so much! :thumb_yello:

It's such a shame you're feeling like this ... I had the same kind of conversation with Treasa on Twitter who is thinking of not going to Mika gigs anymore due to some so called fans attitudes ... I really think some of them need to take a step back and look at themselves in the mirror ... cos' when you're ruining things for other people something should be said and done about it ... I was really happy for you and Laura ... most of us are ... ignore the twats ... they have no life, and make me mad as hell :aah:

It's such a shame you're feeling like this ... I had the same kind of conversation with Treasa on Twitter who is thinking of not going to Mika gigs anymore due to some so called fans attitudes ... I really think some of them need to take a step back and look at themselves in the mirror ... cos' when you're ruining things for other people something should be said and done about it ... I was really happy for you and Laura ... most of us are ... ignore the twats ... they have no life, and make me mad as hell :aah:

Here, here! :thumb_yello:

I don't really know what's happening between fans (only went to Vienne this Summer and it was fine), but yes it truly is a shame if people come to a point of not wanting to write a report or even go to gigs anymore :(

I understand Ingie about not wanting to tell what happened backstage, I'm not expecting people to report on this, but I always enjoy reading gig reports so much..

Exactly this was what happened to me in Nice!Some fans were so rude,it makes me sick! But you're right,we should ignore them,not worth it :winksmiley02:

Well, helloooo, as if that is something new :naughty:

No it's not new *sigh* and I only went to Heaven and didn't even queue that long so didn't see any of it - it just makes me really sad - gigs should be fun ... it shouldn't be a competition or a fight ... and that's what some people want to do ... fight for a front row spot that they seem to have most times that they attend a gig ... it's not a god given right ... let others have a chance ... and when a steward/bouncer etc makes a decision about who he wants to let in to a gig - don't throw your arm up and nearly hit someone to stop them going in before you ... that's what happened to Treasa and whoever did that should be ashamed of themselves - manners cost nothing ... though for some people it's sadly lacking