2012 Heaven, London UK - July 26 - REPORTS / PICTURES / VIDEOS

guylainem123

I think that he needs to start pronouncing it the Essex way "wa-ah" and then there will be no more confusions :lmfao:

I loved the gig, I really really did, but I must agree with you on a couple of points. I totally agree with what you said re the band. I don't care if he has one band or another, but I really don't see why he needed these people instead of the old ones :dunno: I can't see the advantage , other than the fact that now he has a piano player who plays the sax and other bits :doh:

In any case, I don't understand the need for change. Ah , and I know that people totally rave about the new singer Joy, and no offence to her, but she does nothing to me at all. I much prefered Imma in every way, and this chick is not cutting it.

The piano dancing and killing the band is also an annoyance, as are the balloons and all that jazz......

Other than that, I totally disagree with you on the songs and performance, it rocked! :naughty:

Haven't seen them live (yet!) but one thing I notice is that their voices are a better complement to Mika's voice. No offense to anyone:thumb_yello:

home after a 12 hr bus journey .... the things we do for a mika fix :doh: oh yeah the gig - ballocks pretty sums it up for me ! i was expecting to hear all mika`s new songs not the same old pishy billy brown then to top it all after the gig there was a comp running for 30 lucky people to hear mika`s new songs & they would be told who had won when my bus was leaving for home .... poor poor poor! so for me the best part of my wee visit to London was the meet-up with my fellow mika fans :huglove:

Can you you write down phonetically what the problem is with both? (I mean water and origin?) Let's not forget he learned classical singing so he may pronounce things differently so that he can sing them better.

He does mark word ends with sharp consonants in certain slow songs and I love that. That's how he must have been taught to sing.

No classical singer would sing "watter" instead of "water" :no:

For me the Heaven gig was – well, a little bit of heaven, a little bit of hell.

Once again, the lighting looked great. Love the flags stage set – so simple, and being neutral coloured, the lighting could transform the streamers into different colours - looked beautiful. Probably because of the nature of the venue, I did feel Mika seemed particularly comfortable, at home and relaxed. There was a really good buzz in the crowd just before he came on, and when he kicked off with BG, followed by Relax, BIOTG, BB etc., it was sounding and looking great, and he was definitely enjoying himself and on form.

I’m afraid I still can’t really see what advantage the new band has over the previous band, except possibly less personality, and therefore Mika’s ensured he’s the only star of the show? I’m not keen on the new arrangements of SITM (which has lost it’s swing) or Rain (the previous live version used to bring the house down and this version misses something), and on several songs it seemed the band was too high up in the mix and the sound went muddy and distorted. Also I don’t want to see him dance on the piano, I want to see him play the damn thing.

But it was the new songs (sorry Mika) that was my hell. Lola I find repetitive and dull. TOOL the same. MYH does nothing for me. And Celebrate – well on the eve of the Olympic Games all I could think of was that it would have been totally suitable as a theme song for that, but as it’s not going to be, it’s pointless and disposable pap. On the plus side, I do quite like Underwater.

I don’t think the new material will do badly, probably the opposite, but somehow I just don’t personally feel inspired by it. On a personal level – as someone who embraced Mika from the word go and thought he was the most talented and unique artist to emerge in a decade, I feel he’s lost his grip on what he’s best at – MELODIES.

I don’t like the electronic stuff creeping in, I think autotune should be reserved for people who can’t sing – like Jedward, and as far as I’m concerned rap is simply spelt wrong (missing the “c” at the beginning). I fear that as more of the new material replaces the old, I won’t want to listen to it, or even want to go to the shows in future. And before everyone argues back – it’s only my opinion, and I have no objection to “change” per se, it’s just I feel it’s change for the poorer. As I have no interest in getting autographs or photos, and couldn’t give a flying f*ck about Mika’s personal life, for me it’s JUST about the music, and sadly I just don't like the new stuff.

BTW, regarding the “coming out” which so many seem to think was a monumental “big moment”, I didn’t even notice it! I thought he was always “out”, at least as bi, if not gay. So, his current love is a man. What was the news?!!!

I agree with this pretty much - you are not alone in focussing on the music and worrying that something "special" has gone AWOL. I'm waiting for the new album with very little expectation of liking it as much as the other two - I hope to be surprised. I still think he is a great performer and hope one day something will "click" with me again.

And i didn't hear the dedication at all - i was just wishing he'd get on with it :doh:

It wasn't a predominantly gay audience though - mostly young girls, and a lot of the men were anxious fathers :naughty:

That was my impression too - it wasn't a club do - it was just another small concert venue for the fans. But I didn't see those behind me very much - latecomers may have been a more general Heaven crowd - didn't make any difference as far as I could tell.

I don't get the need for a new band either. I haven't commented much because I haven't seen them myself but I find it hard to imagine I'm ever going to care about these people or be interested in their performances.

I do like Joy's voice a lot but I've always thought Mika needs several backing singers so I don't think Imma should have been replaced in any case. I get Cath's point though that they all seem to sing better with Mika so maybe this is an economical alternative to bringing in multiple backing singers.

Anyway nothing against the new band but Mika replacing people for no obvious reason has put me off taking an interest in band members who might be gone tomorrow anyway. :dunno:

What bothers me in this discussion is that some of you are implying that people who still think that he is bisexual are silly fangirls or in denial.

I would never say that but I have always tended to believe Mika is gay and I don't think any of his statements in the past negate this. Up until last night his statements were vague and hypothetical and he says (or at least we hear) misleading things on other topics all the time so if he doesn't state something clearly I wouldn't say we know it to be a fact.

Certainly if he continues to say things in the future that indicate he's attracted to women then I would just take it at face value. He's laid it all out on the table now and I don't think he would backtrack at this point.

Anyway people can believe whatever they want since he hasn't made an unequivocal declaration either way (IMO) but I hope the days of speculating about Mika's girlfriend (if he has one, is it Ida, is it Adele, etc, etc) are over. At least as long as he's saying he's in his current relationship. :naughty:

But what is the difference? :aah: I don't understand what it is you expect to hear.

Oh and Lara thanks for the videos. It's really unfortunate you and Sheena couldn't make it to the playback when you had travelled all the way to London anyway :(

Oh and Lara thanks for the videos. It's really unfortunate you and Sheena couldn't make it to the playback when you had travelled all the way to London anyway :(

Thanks Christine, yeah, made me really sad that I missed the opportunity but maybe it wasn't meant to be or something. Either way, I had a wonderful time at the show at least. :)

What I feel we are getting is Mika the entertainer. I don't want to see him dancing (badly) on top of the piano, I want him to sit down and play it.

That's what I thought in Compiegne, I was so disapointed that he did not play the piano himself :dunno:

Maybe I am getting too old for Mika gigs :dunno:

Oh no, don't forget Mika is from 7 to 77' :groupwave:

Thanks for your report, anyway :wink2:

Here's my report :teehee:

Last night was the best night of my life! After waiting for 2hours inside the venue as well as hours lining up, MIKA finally came on stage, and well...MIKA was BRILLIANT, sooo amazing live :wub2: He kept looking over at me and Lizzie (iliveforglitter) because we were waving glow sticks and wearing bowler hats When he was singing Love Today he pointed at me and said 'Love love YOU' I was :shocked: it was SOOOOOO AMAZING! He's 1000000000times more handsome in real life, which I didn't think was possible, but wow! He was so perfect!!!! :mikalove: And all the giant balloons and confetti was so fun and his dancing :mikadas: sooo funny! After the best gig EVEEEER we went to find him and I MET MIKA, he signed a photo for me and I gave him my letter I wrote for him!! I think my favourite songs were We Are Golden, Celebrate, Lola and The Origin Of Love...and Love Today :aah: It was sooo nice meeting MIKA fans :biggrin2: I'm sad it's all over now :tears: amazing night! :wub2: A dream come true!!

Sorry for all the smilies but they show my emotions perfectly! I got a set list too, I'll post pictures when I get onto a laptop :thumb_yello:

Wow, it looks like you had the night of your life :thumb_yello:

Thanks for your nice report !

Glad that you could meet him, but as you wrote he's more handsome real life, was it your first gig ?

When I saw him before is gig in Brighton, he wasn't shaved, he just looked "normal" without his make up, that was odd :teehee:

Anyway, the gig really felt fantastic. For some reason, it totally took me back to the old school Mika, and I was not the only one to say that. He somehow felt really genuine and enthusiastic, and I enjoyed the gig a thousand times more than I did the Lovebox set, even though they were similar enough 'in theory'

I long to see that in Roubaix :teehee: if it's still the same... I miss the old Mika's style too !

He was just on fire, really into it, really happy, and loving it. I did think that the sound was a bit too low, his voice mike, and that sometimes you couldn't hear him as well as you should, but overall I really loved it. Was his voice tired ?

Of course the line all went to hell when he came out, and he got totally mobbed...people were just going next to him and surrounding him very close, and that included some people who I know for a fact have hundreds of signatures and photos of/with him :dunno:

What can we say ? People love him and want to reach him every time he goes out :groupwave:

But they don't realize it is a privilege, it is not every artist who comes out to meet up his fans... You know, that is the little thing who made me love Mika, because he is so human :mikalove:

I don't get it, what do they get out of it? He didn't even look at many of the people who were just shoving stuff in his face to sign, and it makes no sense to totally mob him like that because everyone loses out on a proper meeting and nobody gets good quality time. I honestly give up. It's as if , if there is nobody like John or someone else making clear rules and being ruthless, all these 'adults' cannot behave themselves in a normal way. One day, that will be over, unfortunately, he's going to be upset with that :sneaky2:

I loved the gig, I really really did, but I must agree with you on a couple of points. I totally agree with what you said re the band. I don't care if he has one band or another, but I really don't see why he needed these people instead of the old ones :dunno: I can't see the advantage , other than the fact that now he has a piano player who plays the sax and other bits :doh:

In any case, I don't understand the need for change. Ah , and I know that people totally rave about the new singer Joy, and no offence to her, but she does nothing to me at all. I much prefered Imma in every way, and this chick is not cutting it.

The piano dancing and killing the band is also an annoyance, as are the balloons and all that jazz......

Other than that, I totally disagree with you on the songs and performance, it rocked! :naughty:

I know it's becoming a cliche for mika to shoot the band, but i think this bunch deserve it more than the old one ever did. :mf_rosetinted:

+1

But I'm glad that there's disagreement about whether he's off form or not

I forgot to quote Sheena, but I'd been wondering if anybody felt diddled by what was promoted on here as the first gig for the new album? Lovebox was similarly promoted as where you'd hear the first new songs- though I had a wonderful time, I did think they should have stuck to that and not put them on the internet before. And by Heaven the new songs were almost old hat

I've been enjoying this nostalgic dip into what's presumably the last "is Mika gay" thread. But I feel it's not complete without someone gettiing offended and saying they're never coming back to the MFC. Would you like me to do it, or is someone else going to volunteer? It won't feel right otherwise

Since when is a 't' at the end of water though? :blink: My example was on the pronouncing of consonants at the end of words.

So, again, can someone write down phonetically what the problem is with water and origin? :teehee:

I'd just love to say that if anyone is still in doubt of the new songs are going to play live as well as the old ones: YES they are! Does the new band have the potential of being as loved and recognised by us as the old one? YES it does! This album is going to be amazing and now I'm all itchy to hear it all. Mika really took us to musical heaven on Thursday!

Re. the band, I disagree with some earlier posts. I think the sound is better now. Mika needed at least one really great, creative and playful musician to accompany him on stage who would be able to do some improvisation as well if needed, etc. He also needed a good piano player, which David clearly wasn't. I'm sorry to break the news but Mika's skills on the piano are rather limited so it does make sense to have someone like Curtis on stage, who plays many instruments and is pretty relaxed, too. I love how they are changing songs. They do sound effortless.

Concerning 'personality' , I never got much of that from the band on stage and I don't think they are supposed to show it off there, although I really liked iMMa interacting with Mika and of course she has a great voice, too. In a way, the focus is more on the music and less on the puppet show (I never liked Mika dressing up his band).

So, for the moment I am pleased with the band but he may actually need more backing vocalists to have a fuller choir sound on some of the tracks.

+1

But I'm glad that there's disagreement about whether he's off form or not

I forgot to quote Sheena, but I'd been wondering if anybody felt diddled by what was promoted on here as the first gig for the new album?

I am on the phone and I know it has fouled up the quote but I just wanted to say this...,.

I always felt that there was probably a bit of confusion over this point and that some people had maybe got the impression that this show was going to be a big launch of a lot of songs that hadn't been heard before. I never thought that. The point was that it was the first show 'in the UK' with some of the new songs ..... Not the first show anywhere .

home after a 12 hr bus journey .... the things we do for a mika fix :doh: oh yeah the gig - ballocks pretty sums it up for me ! i was expecting to hear all mika`s new songs not the same old pishy billy brown then to top it all after the gig there was a comp running for 30 lucky people to hear mika`s new songs & they would be told who had won when my bus was leaving for home .... poor poor poor! so for me the best part of my wee visit to London was the meet-up with my fellow mika fans :huglove:

was fab to meet you :thumb_yello:

Re. the band, I disagree with some earlier posts. I think the sound is better now. Mika needed at least one really great, creative and playful musician to accompany him on stage who would be able to do some improvisation as well if needed, etc. He also needed a good piano player, which David clearly wasn't. I'm sorry to break the news but Mika's skills on the piano are rather limited so it does make sense to have someone like Curtis on stage, who plays many instruments and is pretty relaxed, too. I love how they are changing songs. They do sound effortless.

Concerning 'personality' , I never got much of that from the band on stage and I don't think they are supposed to show it off there, although I really liked iMMa interacting with Mika and of course she has a great voice, too. In a way, the focus is more on the music and less on the puppet show (I never liked Mika dressing up his band).

So, for the moment I am pleased with the band but he may actually need more backing vocalists to have a fuller choir sound on some of the tracks.

as always, we agree. :thumb_yello:

For me the Heaven gig was – well, a little bit of heaven, a little bit of hell.

Once again, the lighting looked great. Love the flags stage set – so simple, and being neutral coloured, the lighting could transform the streamers into different colours - looked beautiful. Probably because of the nature of the venue, I did feel Mika seemed particularly comfortable, at home and relaxed. There was a really good buzz in the crowd just before he came on, and when he kicked off with BG, followed by Relax, BIOTG, BB etc., it was sounding and looking great, and he was definitely enjoying himself and on form.

I’m afraid I still can’t really see what advantage the new band has over the previous band, except possibly less personality, and therefore Mika’s ensured he’s the only star of the show? I’m not keen on the new arrangements of SITM (which has lost it’s swing) or Rain (the previous live version used to bring the house down and this version misses something), and on several songs it seemed the band was too high up in the mix and the sound went muddy and distorted. Also I don’t want to see him dance on the piano, I want to see him play the damn thing.

But it was the new songs (sorry Mika) that was my hell. Lola I find repetitive and dull. TOOL the same. MYH does nothing for me. And Celebrate – well on the eve of the Olympic Games all I could think of was that it would have been totally suitable as a theme song for that, but as it’s not going to be, it’s pointless and disposable pap. On the plus side, I do quite like Underwater.

I don’t think the new material will do badly, probably the opposite, but somehow I just don’t personally feel inspired by it. On a personal level – as someone who embraced Mika from the word go and thought he was the most talented and unique artist to emerge in a decade, I feel he’s lost his grip on what he’s best at – MELODIES.

I don’t like the electronic stuff creeping in, I think autotune should be reserved for people who can’t sing – like Jedward, and as far as I’m concerned rap is simply spelt wrong (missing the “c” at the beginning). I fear that as more of the new material replaces the old, I won’t want to listen to it, or even want to go to the shows in future. And before everyone argues back – it’s only my opinion, and I have no objection to “change” per se, it’s just I feel it’s change for the poorer. As I have no interest in getting autographs or photos, and couldn’t give a flying f*ck about Mika’s personal life, for me it’s JUST about the music, and sadly I just don't like the new stuff.

BTW, regarding the “coming out” which so many seem to think was a monumental “big moment”, I didn’t even notice it! I thought he was always “out”, at least as bi, if not gay. So, his current love is a man. What was the news?!!!

agree with the bold part.

Totally agree with especially the bolded parts. The new sound (with the new band) is very good, and Curtis is brilliant, so natural and effortless, really.

I do miss iMMa. Joy is good in Celebrate, but after listening to iMMa for a long time, she is just not the same.

I can't quote properly right now but Cath is right about the new band being able to function as a choir and sounding good, so that is one further argument for them.

I can see this 'bi' topic come up again and with strong emotions attached. I can' t think with everyone's head but I used to think one can be straight, gay or adventurous. :teehee:. However, i do accept if others think differently. Anyway, the point in some people considering Mika gay right from the very beginning has to do with the way he acts, particularly on stage (that's something anyone can notice) and also his lyrics that make me think he has felt that way since he was a child. (there is also another gender element I get from the lyrics but I am most definitely not starting to discuss it here). Anyway, the fact that I have never considered him even to be bi' should hopefully not be viewed as an offence but my interpretation of his personality that his sexuality is a part of.

Edited by suzie

I agree Suzie. I do think there are some people who can pick up the "vibe" of another person faster than others: personality, functionality, and maybe even sexuality. And I do think that hanging round with a variety of people in life helps you get better at perfecting the skill of picking up other people's vibes, and also of course, managing your own interactions with people.

It's like a "gut instinct". For some of us there are glaringly obvious pointers for Mika's sexuality, for others it may need a definitive statement. But I do see that last night's dedication was really a declaration of love for his partner, and to feel the freedom to do that now, must be a big relief for Mika. I felt that coming through in the song very strongly. As I said before, I hope the special man was there to hear such a heartfelt song:wub2:

I think back to how he said life changed after Paloma's accident. Everyone in his family and close friends would have been so profoundly affected by the sheer horror of that trauma, and the pain that she suffered and probably still suffers. Reassessing what is important in life, what makes you happy, relationship issues .... maybe all this led to him to a point of freedom, to this song becoming his "freedom statement" and maybe the man he loves was an integral part of him reaching that point.