Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

@Pandora_Z First of all I'd like to let you know that when I asked you about the reason you were upset about the perceived 'anti-American' comments I did not even notice them on the thread. Now I have and I think you have every right to be upset. However, I think it is best to quote in such cases and discuss that with the individual themselves, I really don't think it is the right message to ask people to just keep quiet in case a particular group turns up on the forum.

There is no reason to discuss any politics on this forum at all.

There is no reason to discuss gardening, either,but it is still being discussed. There is freedom of speech here and if someone comes up with an interesting topic people respond. Politics have ALWAYS been discussed on MFC, usually as random comments. I remember some heated debates about abortion, the Roman Catholic church and religion following a blog by Mika in an Italian magazine, for example.

You will also find threads dedicated to politics, such as:

Let's talk POLITICS ( NO FIGHTS) - started by a fan in Chicago

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11653&highlight=politics

(American) Politics and Racism - started by a fan from NYC - one of the most intelligent and original members of this forum ever

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13819&highlight=politics

Mika combines politics and camp at LA show - that is obviously about Mika getting involved in US politics

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12941&highlight=politics

...I centainly don't think it belongs to this thread though.

So I think, even if some Mika fans don't love it, they shouldn't be negative about it. After all, if the song gets to #1 everyone will be happy.

That supposes that my happiness is dependent on Mika's happiness and I don't feel that close attachment with him, actually. I'd be happy for him but as for my personal happiness I'd rather released or sang something I actually liked. :dunno:

PS:

I have just created a thread for children's music from different countries. I think it should be a really interesting one with many great, original songs. :teehee:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3855186#post3855186

Edited by suzie

Mikasounds official uploaded a video 9 hours ago.

It's blocked all over the world!! :shocked:

"This video contains content from UMG. It is not available"

MIKA-Popular ft. Ariana Grande

mqdefault.jpg

Probably they only need to clarify it with Youtube and it will be available soon. I know from other bands that have uploaded their own videos on their own channels and they were blocked automatically by Youtube. The Youtube filter doesn't know that this upload has the right to be there :wink2:

I think abominable any manifestation that does not respect the taste of another, even if different from yours, attacking people just because they do not taste the same as yours, in general this is what happens, not the rule, some people know how to express their thoughts, without attacking and with respect, but unfortunately the world work in bad mood sometimes, sad to say this in the New Year but .... I like the original version, with Priscilla, but the version with Ariana is not bad at all, she seems like a sweet person, anyway .... just wanted to share my thoughts here :wink2:

We can express our thoughts, what we think right, without harming people, it is possible :mf_rosetinted:

sorry my terrible english :blush-anim-cl:

'I don't know.

But one thing for certain is that I don't worry about arguments of taste.

De gustibus non est disputandum.'

http://www.evl.uic.edu/swami/crabcanon

I think abominable any manifestation that does not respect the taste of another, even if different from yours, attacking people just because they do not taste the same as yours, in general this is what happens, not the rule, some people know how to express their thoughts, without attacking and with respect, but unfortunately the world work in bad mood sometimes, sad to say this in the New Year but .... I like the original version, with Priscilla, but the version with Ariana is not bad at all, she seems like a sweet person, anyway .... just wanted to share my thoughts here :wink2:

We can express our thoughts, what we think right, without harming people, it is possible :mf_rosetinted:

sorry my terrible english :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by A. Clay

I'm sorry to break up the conversations that are happening, but I just have to g e my opinion on this song, as its 'apparent target audience' is around my age.

Growing up, I was bullied to a terrible extent that landed me in the hospital a time or two. Basically, I know mean. So when I first heard the original Popular Song, I magnetised to it instantly. It was my favourite track on the album by far. Ive enjoyed Arianas acting, but never her singing, so when I saw that she was on the new single, I was angry to say the least. The first time I tried to listen to it, I turned it off in 12 seconds. How could he go and ruin a song that was so near and dear to my heart. I felt that he was "selling out" in a way, and it was not about to go down well with me. Well, last night I had a few bucks to blow and I really liked the cover art, so I bought it. I own every other of Mikas songs that are on iTunes, so why not keep the tradition going? I decided to listen to it, and made a discovery. It's not half bad. No, it's not the same song. It's not going to make me cry like the original. It lacks the personality of the original. But it's a catchy song and Ariana did a wonderful job with it, so mission complete. I do enjoy the new song, and given the chance, I expect it to do wonderful in America. While I am disappointed he felt the need to change my anthem as opposed to using a differen song, I know it's all in the name of the game. The message is wholesome, and he's just doing his job.

edit: I have a 10 year old sister, who is also a big Mika fan, and I just asked her opinion on which Popular Song she likes better, and she chose the one with Ariana. I asked why, and she said, "Well, it more for kids and I like Ariana." So there you go. Opinions from the younger end of the spectrum.

Very well said. The thing is, the new fans will buy the album and get the original one anyway. If he had not recorded the single with Ariana, they may never have heard the one with Pricilla.

I agree that the song comes over differently with either lady. Pricilla is a great rapper and the rap and swearwords, make it quite 'Streetwise', but the version with Ariana would appeal to kids with problems (like being bullied)

In both versions, the message is the same. Don't try to change who you are for anyone. You may not be the popular kid, but later on, you'll come into your own. Many adults, including myself, identify with this. So it's not just the young ones who'll get it.

When I was being bullied for being disabled, my mum had a saying...

"HE WHO LAUGHS LAST, LAUGHS THE LONGEST."

I can testify that this is true. My bullies ended up in prison or worse. I've had a good life. So the message in Popular Song makes sense, even to a woman of 58 who got bullied at school.

But this has always been Mika's message anyway, in all his inpirational anthems. Big Girl, We Are Golden, KA (We Are Young)

But popular stands a chance of breaking into the mainstream, and then, new fans will discover his other work and realise how amazing Mika is. Thats what I want from this new version.

While searching for something different I stumbled over the review in Under the Gun (http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3805856#post3805856) and it was kind of funny to read those lines knowing the new version :naughty:

There are some experiments with guest vocals and sampling – “Step with Me” has a female accompaniment but is one slow-burning contemplative piece too many, while “Popular Song” samples the track “Popular” from Wicked (performed by Priscilla Renea) but moves far too slowly.

:doh:

It seems that some people on this forum have never heard of literary criticism, let alone one in music, so some help:

'the intellectual activity of formulating judgments on the value and degree of excellence of individual works of music, or whole groups or genres'

Most posts on this thread are about liking or disliking this particular version of the song, whilst the rest are about disliking how others are disliking the song.:blink:

This song has been re-mixed to fit kids' taste. Ariana is a Disney star so that is understandable. Why would anyone need to defend themselves for having a different taste?

I find it totally ridiculous for anyone to start preaching how 'artists' should never be criticized and all works should be respected...etc. This is not a kindergarden where you pat a child on the head and congratulate them for drawing three lines. It is a forum for adults who may have their own opinion on things they see and hear. The same song recorded by two different artists (even in the SAME genre, like in this case) may affect people differently depending on age, gender, culture and aesthetics that is closely related to their intellect and current emotional state..etc. , no-one can be expected to clap for something they can't stand listening to.

Why am I imagining Celine Dion duet with Justin Bieber? :mf_rosetinted:

or one direction singing Bohemian Rhapsody in teenstar way? :mf_rosetinted:

To me, Popular song ft) ariana blahblah sounds like that.

Disney star is singing about bullying in school in very light and thoughtless way. No humor or no thought but she's just playing and wasting the song itself! :aah:

Well someone can say that it would be cool if Celine Dion sing with Justin Bieber.... and I respect that opinion too . :mf_rosetinted:

Disney star is singing about bullying in school in very light and thoughtless way. No humor or no thought but she's just playing and wasting the song itself! :aah:

Well someone can say that it would be cool if Celine Dion sing with Justin Bieber.... and I respect that opinion too . :mf_rosetinted:

:thumb_yello:

I totally dislike the fact, that I meet a lot of posts in Tumblr about "how cool is Popular", but no mentions of Mika at all! All the credits go to Ariana, all the tags only about her. Like she wrote and sang this song alone! Of course she's a hero! And where is Mika?

I knew it would be like this...

I totally dislike the fact, that I meet a lot of posts in Tumblr about "how cool is Popular", but no mentions of Mika at all! All the credits go to Ariana, all the tags only about her. Like she wrote and sang this song alone! Of course she's a hero! And where is Mika?

Who is Ariana ?? I never heard about her before :mf_rosetinted:

Who is Ariana ?? I never heard about her before :mf_rosetinted:

Actually, no joke - but me too. I used to listen to FM stations while walking with my son (and be sure I'm not listening to the music for elder people). And I never heard this name! Maybe, because I'm listening to European stations, but there is a lot of American music anyway. Or she is like Mika, an Internet freak? :fisch:

The hashtag #WewantArianaGrandeinFrance is trending here, so I guess she's got followers in France too even though I had never heard of her before! Probably a younger audience, I wonder if this will have any consequence on Mika's popularity.

I don't see how it matters since if these fans were not focused on Ariana they wouldn't be talking about the song at all. Mika writes songs for people and no one really knows or cares. That's what happens when you let other people sing your songs and as long as he gets royalties from the sale I can't see the harm.

Doriand is writing lyrics for Mika and so is Priscilla Renea but does anyone really care? Priscilla is just "some girl singing on Mika's record" and I bet most people who bought EMD have no idea about Doriand.

This song sounds like it is a vehicle for Ariana and I think Mika did well to even claim it has his own track and put his picture on the cover.

I don't understand why so many think it's wonderful that Mika panders to the French market to the point where he requires someone else to write the lyrics but pandering to a young American market is selling out. It's all the same to me in principle. Whether you appreciate the end result or not is a matter of taste, not a matter of integrity.

Unless this gets mainstream airplay in the US it may be a moot point who is or isn't credited. I can't help but wonder, like Camille, if it's going to affect his (or her) popularity.

Actually, no joke - but me too. I used to listen to FM stations while walking with my son (and be sure I'm not listening to the music for elder people). And I never heard this name! Maybe, because I'm listening to European stations, but there is a lot of American music anyway. Or she is like Mika, an Internet freak? :fisch:

She's not an internet freak she's a TV star. She hasn't even released her first album yet so I guess you wouldn't have heard her on European radio.

I love the way that you interpret it! haha

Here's an example: You know the song "Call Me Maybe"? Mariana's Trench's singer Josh Ramsay wrote the whole thing. It went very viral, and he could have kept the song and get billions out of it. But no, Carly Rae Jepsen got the credit + the Grammy nomination. Did he get credits for it? No. I don't want to put anyone down or something, but if Popular gets big, well a part of my "Call Me Maybe" story may happen... don't get mad if Mika doesn't get the credit he deserves, I'd cry for Josh Ramsay instead. At least Mika is featured in it and Ariana's fan are noticing him. :original:

From Pink Mag:

http://pinkmag.com/20/post/2013/01/mika-the-new-single-popular-song-is-out-now.html

MIKA: The new single "Popular Song" is out now

The new debuted of MIKA's new single “Popular Song” on iTunes, offers a fresh twist on "Popular" from the Broadway hit "Wicked", composed by Stephen Schwartz. In an historic move, Schwartz was so moved by this interpretation that he authorized the usage of his music for the first time ever.

"Popular Song" remains an inspiring and invigorating pop anthem that encourages the bullied and unpopular to rise above. MIKA tapped the charismatic and charming actress/singer Ariana Grande for the song, which showcases a powerful interplay between the two singers. Grande’s successful co-starring role on the hit show, Victorious, recently led to her own spin-off for Nickelodeon, Sam & Cat. Grande’s presence extends far beyond her television notoriety. She’s also a highly talented and accredited singer, who’s debut album—due out 2013 via Republic Records—has her poised to become a major player in popular music.

The single arrives hot on the heels of Mika's recent sold-out U.S. tour in support of his new album, The Origin of Love, which followed up the multi-platinum worldwide smash, The Boy Who Knew Too Much.

Completely self-created and self-imagined, The Origin of Love has been a two-year DIY labour of love for Mika who has put together everything on the record himself, flying around the world under his own steam personally assembling an incredible roll call of collaborators – In addition to Nick Littlemore and Pharrell Williams, Mika has also worked with William Orbit, Benny Benassi, FrYars, Greg Wells (Katy Perry, Adele), and Klas Ahlund (Robyn’s Body Talk) as well as working with some brand new unsigned musicians he found himself online.

Mika has now sold over 8 million records and Gold or Platinum awards in 32 countries worldwide across his previous two albums ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ and ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’, winning Brit and MTV Awards in the process. For more information visit http://www.mikasounds.com.

Here's an example: You know the song "Call Me Maybe"? Mariana's Trench's singer Josh Ramsay wrote the whole thing. It went very viral, and he could have kept the song and get billions out of it. But no, Carly Rae Jepsen got the credit + the Grammy nomination. Did he get credits for it? No.

The thing is if he'd kept the song then chances are he wouldn't have gotten billions out of it. There are many reasons a song becomes a massive hit and it's not all down to the lyrics and the melody. Even looking at the same artist with the same song - would Apologize have become what it was without the Timbaland remix? I don't think so. Personally I think the original was boring.

I imagine that Josh Ramsay did make a lot of money off it and did receive the Grammy nomination as a writer. Just because the average person doesn't know about it doesn't mean he hasn't been credited if you know what I mean.

I don't like this version of Popular. But I don't see the harm in Mika trying to get success with it in this way because the song on the album was never going to be a smash hit for him anyway. I would have liked to see him paired up with someone more like Priscilla but since Ariana's singing experience is mostly in musicals up to this point and this is a twist on Wicked I can see why someone would think it's a good vehicle for her, if not for him.

On this latest point about Mika, perhaps, not getting the credit for his own song. I think that the way to deal with this is for us to make sure he does by mentioning him.

On Twitter, I answered a post by someone who loves Popular Song, and said it's great (or words to that effect)

I replied...

The version of Popular Song on #MIKA #TheOriginOfLove Album is different, but just as good.

In other words, we should take all opportunities to use this platform to tell people about Mika, his song, his album.

Also, this can't do Mika any harm. I think the reason they suddenly want her in France is because of the Mika colab. So its come from Mika's fame there.

But its important for him to break America. So I hope this song does it for him.

Besides, its actually not our job to promote Mika and get his work recognised. Thats the job of the publicity people who are getting paid to pubicise Mika and his work. These are the people who are not doing their job and need sacking. He could easily find better people to promote him. A tortoise and a snail could do a better job than them.

Besides, its actually not our job to promote Mika and get his work recognised. Thats the job of the publicity people who are getting paid to pubicise Mika and his work. These are the people who are not doing their job and need sacking. He could easily find better people to promote him. A tortoise and a snail could do a better job than them.

true, but they only invest in promotion if he's successful. promo costs money and they have their eyes on the revenue. he does have this chance in the US now, since his tour and album both were rather successful - so i don't care AT ALL for what reason this song becomes a hit, as long as it does. even if every random music listener thinks it's ariana's song, it will still help mika to get recognition by his record company, and therefor maybe more promotion for his next single, as he's the one who wrote the song, and he's the one on the cover.

ariana seems to have a worldwide fanbase because she's in this teen tv series. i never watched it so i didn't know her before her collaboration with mika, but i even found some info on german websites about her. for example on a german website that's similar to yahoo questions 2 people posted a question about the song, even though in germany it was neither released nor was there any news about it. probably it was ariana fans who read it on her twitter or on a fanpage about her. usually mika does get mentioned if someone mentions the song (and if not, we can help, like marilyn said :teehee:), even if they say it's ariana featuring mika - in any case, i'm happy about every ariana grande fan who buys mika's song, or spreads the word on the internet so more people get to know about it. :biggrin2: