Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

i miss the swear words :tears:

:aah:

Me too. That made the song. Oldfashioned Mika-style: sweet music - bitter words.

it wouldn't get played on the radio if he kept them. :rolls_eyes: but i'm sure at the gigs they'll still be there! :naughty:

I know that, but it feels wrong, like he caves for the musicindustry. So totally opposite of the Grace Kelly-story!

I've just listened to this.

Once is enough, I think.

I listen a few more times to the Ariane-version, it is not bad but too teenpoppy imo. I know switched back to the Priscilla-with-swearwords-version!

...talking of which - What is a fugazi?:aah:

I wanted to ask that too.

Aha: fake it is. Thanks!

I just read a few comments on YT under the Ariane-version. I think it can work out bad that her fans thinks she (and Mika) copied -illegally!- the theme from Wicked. We, Mikafans know the true story but the Ariana-fans don't. People are already massively complaining.

i miss the swear words :tears:

:aah:

Me too. That made the song. Oldfashioned Mika-style: sweet music - bitter words.

it wouldn't get played on the radio if he kept them. :rolls_eyes: but i'm sure at the gigs they'll still be there! :naughty:

I know that, but it feels wrong, like he caves for the musicindustry. So totally opposite of the Grace Kelly-story!

Anecdote: Blame it on the Girls has the line: 'Blame it on your father but you know he's dead' in it. Mika's recordlabel wanted him to change the 'dead'part. Mika didn't want to do that out of his principles. And now he did exactely the same thing with Popular. Too bad.

I've just listened to this.

Once is enough, I think.

I listen a few more times to the Ariane-version, it is not bad but too teenpoppy imo. I know switched back to the Priscilla-with-swearwords-version!

...talking of which - What is a fugazi?:aah:

I wanted to ask that too.

Aha: fake it is. Thanks!

I just read a few comments on YT under the Ariane-version. I think it can work out bad that her fans thinks she (and Mika) copied -illegally!- the theme from Wicked. We, Mikafans know the true story but the Ariana-fans don't. People are already massively complaining.

Anecdote: Blame it on the Girls has the line: 'Blame it on your father but you know he's dead' in it. Mika's recordlabel wanted him to change the 'dead'part. Mika didn't want to do that out of his principles. And now he did exactely the same thing with Popular. Too bad.

sometimes you have to compromise to get something better out of it... whether it's simply chart success in the US that he wants, or whether it's not getting dropped by his record label due to lack of success - i'm sure that if he acts against his own principles then only because he hopes to get something else that's even more important to him. for example regain his freedom. and he's smart, he knows it's better for marketing reasons in the US to skip the swear words - and just ONE hit would be enough to get him in the position again to do what he wants with the next single/album. if he fails, there might not be another album, at least not with this record label. if it's all or nothing, you might change your mind on unimportant stuff like swear words. and losing something you already have is always harder than not reaching a goal in the first place. as opposed to celebrate, this song has a meaning, it has a "character", if you know what i mean... and imo it still does in the new version, also without the swear words - and i find that much more important than hearing the word "sh*t" instead of "things" in the song. :dunno: to me, the song always had both meanings, the f* you to the bullies as well as the stay true to yourself message. the f* you might not be as strong anymore without the swear words, but it's still there for me, in the line with the "working at the movies", or the toilet, for example.

Mellody, I understand you very well. I also understand that it is 'politics'. But it doesn't feel right, but that is often case in compromises.

And know it will do him good, but still is a set back, hopefully to be forgotten in the future.

I mean, I hope he will do fu**ing well in the USA. I really hope he will be loved overthere.

Is there an actual chart number now for the I-Tune charts? I can´t find anything

It's not charting on iTunes. A couple of tweets from Mika and Ariana is not going to sell a song. Even we didn't know about this a few days ago.

I have a feeling Mika is coming back to the US, perhaps in February. Maybe they will do some promotion to tie in with her album as well? :dunno:

I also wouldn't be surprised if it went nowhere like Kick Ass because without promotion and/or radio play nothing is going to happen.

These are two different situations. They wanted Mika to change BIOTG on the album because they didn't like the concept. It wasn't a word that is forbidden by radio and TV regulations, it was just an unpleasant idea and they wanted to change the meaning of the line.

No one is allowed to say certain words on public airwaves in the US. Those are just the rules and everyone has to abide by them. When artists write songs that contain those words they can put whatever they want on their album but they need to make a clean "radio edit" in order to get airplay and of course they have to change the lines when they are performing it live on radio or TV.

This is nothing new for Mika. He used to substitute "bore" for "whore" with Lollipop.

Just checked and it's number 60 on the pop singles... Earlier today it was 64 so progress... :aah:

It was 62 on the Pop singles just now when I bought it. :wink2:

But it needs to get into the regular Singles chart! :thumb_yello:

It was 62 on the Pop singles just now when I bought it. :wink2:

I swear I saw it on regular itunes canadian chart but can't anymore:mf_rosetinted:

It was 104 on pop last time I checked:thumb_yello:

Talking of swearing in songs, you should have seen my face when I first heard the explicit version of 212 by Azealia Banks. I had only ever heard the radio edit and was in my own niiave little world. I've never heard so many ****s in one song. :mf_rosetinted:

Yeah no one looks at genre charts for individual songs. Hopefully it gets on radio. :crossed:

Talking of swearing in songs, you should have seen my face when I first heard the explicit version of 212 by Azealia Banks. I had only ever heard the radio edit and was in my own niiave little world. I've never heard so many ****s in one song. :mf_rosetinted:

Ha, I had the opposite with Cee Lo's F*ck You. I found it on YouTube and didn't realize there was a boring version called Forget You until later :naughty:

About the swearing words... well, it´s for America, so, he better buy a gun and kill people randomly in the street or schools instead of using the word "sh*t" or "b*tch" THIS-IS-AMERICA!!!!

:mf_rosetinted:

Yeahb :aah:

Off topic, but when I asked the bookseller today if they had any books about sects he said no, but he told me that they had books about the USA which was almost the same. :fisch:

Btw... have you realised?? All Ariana´s fans love that song. I don´t konw how it will work, cause honestly in my case, when it´s Mika who sings with someone else as he did with Pharrell or Priscilla I didn´t even bothered... I have no idea how Pharrell or Priscilla look, or how their music sound, so I´m not sure if it´ll help Mika to sell more albums or not...

These are two different situations. They wanted Mika to change BIOTG on the album because they didn't like the concept. It wasn't a word that is forbidden by radio and TV regulations, it was just an unpleasant idea and they wanted to change the meaning of the line.

No one is allowed to say certain words on public airwaves in the US. Those are just the rules and everyone has to abide by them. When artists write songs that contain those words they can put whatever they want on their album but they need to make a clean "radio edit" in order to get airplay and of course they have to change the lines when they are performing it live on radio or TV.

This is nothing new for Mika. He used to substitute "bore" for "whore" with Lollipop.

Yes, I know and you're right. But I guess we Dutchies have other standards then Americans.

About the swearing words... well, it´s for America, so, he better buy a gun and kill people randomly in the street or schools instead of using the word "sh*t" or "b*tch" THIS-IS-AMERICA!!!!

:mf_rosetinted:

This is exactely what I wanted to say next!

It is okay to buy and own guns, but oh dear when Jeanette Jackson show a part of her nipple the whole country is in a turmoil!

Yes, I know and you're right. But I guess we Dutchies have other standards then Americans.

This is exactely what I wanted to say next!

It is okay to buy and own guns, but oh dear when Jeanette Jackson show a part of her nipple the whole country is in a turmoil!

Yes, and that is the main reason why always Europe mocks United States. It´s so brainless to act that way... what´s up with Madonna´s videoclips?? God, they forbid everyone of them. But then, it doesn´t matter how many kids are shot, they won´t change the law. It´s so stupid that hurts.