Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

Ariana Grande ‏@ArianaGrande

'Something cool may or may not be on iTunes

within the next 24 hours!' @mikasounds

This girl is getting 20 @replies a minute. If they all run out and buy this song it could be really good. :naughty:

I do wish Mika the best with this song...but I definitely liked the original 1000 times more. Ariana is really pretty and I think she's an amazing actress but I really don't like her vocals on this song. Even as an American who should love bubblegum pop sounding stuff ;) I've never really cared for it and I just don't like this song. It sounds way too autotuned for me. But I do hope it helps Mika and does well for him(:

I haven't read all the pages and have just listened to the song on YT.

Obviously the original on CD and the live version are far better than this, but I can see the point.

The song is about bullying and can apply to the masses of teens who listen to this singer in the US. So the equation is simple...more audience among US teens, the ones who follow Disney Channel made up stars and 80% of whom feel bullied at school.

Probably a dance video will follow in the stardard way they do such things, and that we will not like of course.

I know Mika is not a teen anymore, but he's singing about teens' problems here, so maybe the choice is relevant.

The song has been tamed consequently.

Obviously the original on CD and the live version are far better than this, but I can see the point.

The song is about bullying and can apply to the masses of teens who listen to this singer in the US. So the equation is simple...more audience among US teens, the ones who follow Disney Channel made up stars and 80% of whom feel bullied at school.

Probably a dance video will follow in the standard way they do such things, and that we will not like of course.

I know Mika is not a teen anymore, but he's singing about teens' problems here, so maybe the choice is relevant.

Boom Haha, good said Robi!:teehee:

But they are boys! Mika is a grown man. Now that he's an adult even Justin Bieber does not sing bubblegum pop. He is an R&B artist. He sounded bubblegum pop when he was 15 years old because his voice hadn't broken yet so it really couldn't be helped.

Well I was only saying that Bubblegum Pop is not a bad thing. I know JB has evolved, but he started out that way and that's when he first became successful.

I also know Mika is to old for that, but I don't think the new version of Popular is bubblegum. Its a song that is really inspirational. The live version (as others have pointed out) is similar.

But to me, anything that gets Mika noticed in the USA is all good, and I honestly don't think that Ariana sounds bad. I think she helps put a more poppy sound to it. If it does well, everyone will be glad about it. I just want us to give it a chance and see what happens.

Popular is one of my favourite tracks from the new album, and I absolutely adore it live.

I don't like this new version much though, but I hope, that it'll become a massive hit in the US

Probably a dance video will follow in the stardard way they do such things, and that we will not like of course.

you must be right Robi

Yes she is. She is singing in tandem with Mika on lines that he sings solo on the original - like the dunking in the toilet line. That coupled with the fact that their voices don't blend, as you say, makes her voice totally dominate this track.

Since there hasn't been a peep out of Mika's camp I am not sure if this is going anywhere unless it is going to be used to promote Ariana. It sounds like he's coming back to tour the states soon so I guess we'll see what happens. But Pharrell did nothing for him so I don't know if this will. Celebrate is better IMO and I think Mika is too old for the tween set now. It may have worked when he was 23 but not now.

Stranger things have happened though so you never know. :naughty:

Than my hearing isn't that bad :aah: And you're right it sounds more like it's Ariana's song than it's Mika's. And every time I listen to the song it keeps bugging me more and more.

But since things actually started happening and the single is already out, yes I'm looking at you 'ool :mf_rosetinted:, it might be a good thing. Ariana is obviously more popular than Mika in the US, and since he hasn't promoted anything by himself. Maybe it's good form him to work with someone else so at least something happens. And if it succes in the USA it will most definitely spread to the rest of the world. And all publicity is good publicity.

And I have to say I like the cover :teehee:

UMG_cvrart_00602537286423_01_RGB72_1800x1800_12UMGIM66437.170x170-75.jpg

But to me, anything that gets Mika noticed in the USA is all good, and I honestly don't think that Ariana sounds bad. I think she helps put a more poppy sound to it. If it does well, everyone will be glad about it. I just want us to give it a chance and see what happens.

:thumb_yello:

Yes me too. At least someone is putting in an effort here.

Single is available on itunes Canada too:thumb_yello:

Oh I was just wondering about that. Of course iTunes crashes every 5 seconds on my iPad so I can't even search for it. :doh: Don't buy Apple people. It looks great but it's crap under the hood. :aah:

What a bubble teen pop song! :naughty: Never imagined Mika would do these kind of work :aah:

It's more " Popular song -Ariana Grande (ft Mika)

Good song for her who is called Ariana, and composer Mika, but think not the best for the singer Mika , IMO :naughty:

:mfr_omg:

Edited by Yuna

O. M. G.

Mika.

This is truly appalling teeny pap.

You are capable of SO much more.

Please.

Forget collaborations.

Forget endless remixes and versions.

Remember you said you would always "chase a good melody"?

Well, just please write some good songs with good melodies and sing them yourself.

CANT AGREE MORE

NO COLAB, NO REMIX :protest:

I quite like this actually. Now I've recovered from the initial shock :floor:

I'm not a huge fan of TOOL but this song is a highight on the album. I have no problem with it being bubblegummed for a teen audience - they will grow up in a few years and buy Mika's next album:thumb_yello: (And maybe even join MFC - :wink2:)

I do think it would be better as Ariana featuring mika, rather than the other way round though - this is more her style & market than his :aah:. But if it gets him publicity and comment, it's all good :thumb_yello:

As for the age thing - the song is originally from wicked - two teenagers at school - one popular,in a naff way, stelling another one (who isa bit of an outcast and green) howto be popular, in her own naff way - so it has returned to it's origins.

And anyway, once you are past 50 (as I am) all pop music is too young for you and the difference doesn't seem very big at all :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Naectegale

As for the age thing - the song is originally from wicked - two teenagers at school - one popular,in a naff way, stelling another one (who isa bit of an outcast and green) howto be popular, in her own naff way - so it has returned to it's origins.

That is even more ridiculous since Kristen Chenoweth is the same age as me. :blink: The musical is almost 10 years old, but still. She hasn't been a teenager since 1987.

Than my hearing isn't that bad :aah: And you're right it sounds more like it's Ariana's song than it's Mika's. And every time I listen to the song it keeps bugging me more and more.

But since things actually started happening and the single is already out, yes I'm looking at you 'ool :mf_rosetinted:, it might be a good thing. Ariana is obviously more popular than Mika in the US, and since he hasn't promoted anything by himself. Maybe it's good form him to work with someone else so at least something happens. And if it succes in the USA it will most definitely spread to the rest of the world. And all publicity is good publicity.

That's my point too. I mean... Lets face it. His publicity people have let him down so badly. Every time I see an ad for an album on UK TV I could scream, because there isn't one for TOOL! If I was Mika, I'd sack the lot of them.

So ANYTHING that helps matters is good for him. If this track makes people look up Mika, we know they'll be pleased they did.

I don't actually think she dominates the track. I can still hear Mika's golden tones well enough. She sings more of the song with him, but she's the featured artist, so that's only fair.

i still like the new version, and i like it more with every listen. :thumb_yello: tbh, i doubt i would've liked it if it had been the first version i'd heard, but after listening to a song again and again, it's nice to get something fresh - and THIS definitely sounds fresh! what i like about it is that there's a lot more melody in the rap than in the original version - i think it suits mika's voice better, to sing the rap parts rather than speaking them. like he did at the gigs. and they added some beautiful harmonies in the 2nd verse, especially the toilet part and i also like it how they sing "how come you look so cool". what i like less than in the original version is the background sound of the song, that's also what i wouldn't have liked if this had been the first version i'd heard. like someone said on here, "chipmunks", yeah, it really sounds a bit like it. :lmfao: but it sounds exactly like something that would be played on the radio a million times a day. and THAT is good! a hit single is exactly what mika needs right now, and this is way better than celebrate, imo! it's a cool and funny song, with a beautiful melody, produced in a radio-friendly way. i had wished he'd release popular as a single, as it's one of my fave songs on the album, but i knew it never would happen - not with the album version, it's a great song but i can't imagine it being played on the radio. this version though is perfect for the radio. and if this ariana grande girl is popular in the US, even better. i hope the song will become a huge hit, then mika won't have to worry anymore - he really deserves more success with his album than he had so far!

Edited by mellody