Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

One observation....If the single does do well and MIKA gets US airplay more Americans will be checking out this site. And how are they going to feel when they read the negative comments towards America? While it is true that everyone is entitled to their opinions, it doesn't put MIKA or MIKA's fans in a good light. I'm American and I am proud to be an American even with all of our faults. And I'm sure everyone else feels the same way about their own countries. We are all proud to be where we are from and we are all united because of our love of MIKA's music. But I have to be honest and say that sometimes I don't feel very welcome here because I am American.

Did people mention anything against America here? :blink: just because I think Nicky Minaj looks and sounds cheap to me, I don’t apply it to the whole American music scene :dunno: There are similar type of artists in Europe I don’t like, either. When I think about great American music I think of composers like Gershwin, Berlin, Sondheim, Rogers and Hammerstein and any other original Disney composers, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon..etc and acts like Michael Jackson, Guns n’ Roses, Blondie, Aretha Franklin as well as even early Madonna and Lady Gaga.

In this case, most people’s sentiments can be explained by the fact that a great Mika song has been ruined. It has nothing to do with American music. It only means that some wise businessmen thought that this song (the most popular one from the album in the US) would be a perfect addition to that young girl’s portfolio. They seem to have borrowed tunes from other artists as well. It is definitely more convenient to borrow already popular tunes than try to come up with them. :cool:

Well he's not like any other popstar, music-wise, or performance-wise, but he IS a popstar and he's said as much, that his music is unappologetically pop. I can't see what good the sarcastic comments, inferring that he might as well collaborate with Psy (in effect, saying that Psy is rubbish and comparing Ariana with Psy) is going to do for Mika's popularity. It just sounds like his fans are nothing but a stuck-up bunch of brats who think Mika is too good to be linked with anyone who isn't more "exclusive".

It is not about exclusivity. It is about musical taste that can’t be taught or explained. It is defined by one’s culture, age, education and exposure to different types of music. The more types of music one listens to the more expectations they have. Mika’s fanbase has very little common with that of Ariana, anyone can see that and I don’t think anyone should be called a brat just because they don’t share the same taste with 12-year old girls.

But he still has kept his principles. The record company wanted to keep Heroes off the album, but Mika disagreed with them, and its on there. I'm sure he still has his way in most things.

I hope you are right Marilyn, but releasing Celebrate as the first single was not his choice. I don't know how the system exactly works so I can't estimate if he can really have his way in most things or not. I'm really glad he disagreed about Heroes, because it's one of my favorites on the album.

About this version of Popular, I admit I was not just surprised when heard about it, I was almost a bit shocked... I didn't expect anything like this, not at all. I haven't actually heard the whole version. I've tried to listen to it three or four times and I always stop around 0.35. It doesn't make any sense to me. He worked hard to show his mature side and this is so far away from it. Also, I feel that this kind of version is not done to make the song better but to make it easier to sell to a certain big target group (but that's just how I see it).

However, he decided to do it, and we don't know the reason. Maybe the idea came from this young artist and Mika liked her and agreed to do this. Or, maybe he considered his career and thought he needs more publicity in the US and wanted to do this for himself too (thinking "any publicity is good publicity" etc). Maybe he was strongly advised to do it. I'm curious to see if he will keep distance to the project or not.

Now when it's done I really don't feel like judging him. I wish him all the best. Maybe this is one small collaboration among many others, maybe this version will be successful and bring also him some new listeners in the US. If he already had mixed feelings about this when making the decision he doesn't need any judgement (I'm sure he is already aware of different sides of the issue and probably knew advance that all his fans won't like the new version). And, if he really liked this project I genuinely hope it will work as he planned! Anyway, I think the way Ariana tweeted about Mika was sweet and I'm pleased they made a new artwork for the single and I might buy the single just to have it. Personally Popular is my least favorite song on the album so I don't have any emotional relationship with the version with Priscilla (but I do find it very different and much better than this version). I've still learnt to love the live version and I hope he will keep it on his setlist, it works really well.

I can see there are mixed impressions about this project,

but I propose that we support this MIKA choice/effort >

HERE's a way . . .

MIKA . . .

UMG_cvrart_00602537286423_01_RGB72_1800x1800_12UMGIM66437.170x170-75.jpg

. . . GO GET 'EM !

Please scroll down & VOTE >

Mika feat. Ariana Grande

(Alb. The Origin of Love / Universal Republic) – Popular Song

http://creativedisc.com/reviews/exclusive-single/creative-disc-exclusive-single-–-24-dec/

I hope you are right Marilyn, but releasing Celebrate as the first single was not his choice. I don't know how the system exactly works so I can't estimate if he can really have his way in most things or not. I'm really glad he disagreed about Heroes, because it's one of my favorites on the album.

About this version of Popular, I admit I was not just surprised when heard about it, I was almost a bit shocked... I didn't expect anything like this, not at all. I haven't actually heard the whole version. I've tried to listen to it three or four times and I always stop around 0.35. It doesn't make any sense to me. He worked hard to show his mature side and this is so far away from it. Also, I feel that this kind of version is not done to make the song better but to make it easier to sell to a certain big target group (but that's just how I see it).

However, he decided to do it, and we don't know the reason. Maybe the idea came from this young artist and Mika liked her and agreed to do this. Or, maybe he considered his career and thought he needs more publicity in the US and wanted to do this for himself too (thinking "any publicity is good publicity" etc). Maybe he was strongly advised to do it. I'm curious to see if he will keep distance to the project or not.

Now when it's done I really don't feel like judging him. I wish him all the best. Maybe this is one small collaboration among many others, maybe this version will be successful and bring also him some new listeners in the US. If he already had mixed feelings about this when making the decision he doesn't need any judgement (I'm sure he is already aware of different sides of the issue and probably knew advance that all his fans won't like the new version). And, if he really liked this project I genuinely hope it will work as he planned! Anyway, I think the way Ariana tweeted about Mika was sweet and I'm pleased they made a new artwork for the single and I might buy the single just to have it. Personally Popular is my least favorite song on the album so I don't have any emotional relationship with the version with Priscilla (but I do find it very different and much better than this version). I've still learnt to love the live version and I hope he will keep it on his setlist, it works really well.

I agree about Celebrate. Its one of the things I think was a mistake. Its the worst song on the album. I got behind it though, for Mika's sake.

I think the whole thing with the album has been a debarcle anyway, but I think he made the choice to sing with Ariana. To me, she does well on the song. I really hope it does well and if it gets him some more new fans in the USA, then it will have had the desired effect.

We still have the original version on the album, so if new US fans buy it, they'll get the original anyway.

I can see there are mixed impressions about this project,

but I propose that we support this MIKA choice/effort >

HERE's a way . . .

MIKA . . .

UMG_cvrart_00602537286423_01_RGB72_1800x1800_12UMGIM66437.170x170-75.jpg

. . . GO GET 'EM !

Please scroll down & VOTE >

Mika feat. Ariana Grande

(Alb. The Origin of Love / Universal Republic) – Popular Song

http://creativedisc.com/reviews/exclusive-single/creative-disc-exclusive-single-–-24-dec/

I voted Alice. I think M&A are 3rd atm.

I’d rather he just kept quiet about it. :naughty:

Like @Silver, one listen was perfectly enough for me, no further tries needed. :teehee:

Yeah for me too :aah: And that's why I wan't to know why he did something that different from his album etc :teehee:

If he already had mixed feelings about this when making the decision he doesn't need any judgement.

A listener judges the outcome not Mika himself. I think that is pretty much the norm for those who rely on their ears when forming an opinion about a performance.

Yeah for me too :aah: And that's why I wan't to know why he did something that different from his album etc :teehee:

I really don't think that was a conscious decision. They could have simply asked to use Mika's already recorded vocals.

There was a discussion about Americans and their regulations about nudity and swearing vs their tolerance of violence.

oh, I remember that now. It can be hurtful to read criticism of laws and regulations from one's own country. At the same time, it can also be an eye-opener. It would be good to discuss this with people who actually live there - perhaps on another thread though.

Edited by suzie

oh, I remember that now. It can be hurtful to read criticism of laws and regulations from one's own country. At the same time, it can also be an eye-opener. It would be good to discuss this with people who actually live there - perhaps on another thread though.

It is pretty much the same in Canada I believe. It's just that we are a less violent society so the irony is not so stark. I think the archaic nudity/swearing regulations remain in place for the same reason they do on MFC. They were there at the beginning and there is no incentive to change them. It doesn't hurt anyone to abide by them but if they are broken it is going to upset people even if it's only a tiny minority. And when you change them you are simply going to draw a new line somewhere else, not completely do away with all censorship of any kind.

I think it was relevant to this thread because people were implying that Mika was making artistic compromises by altering the language in the song. I think it's confusing not only because the mentality is so different in Europe but because there are popular American shows like Dexter that contain not only violence but nudity and swearing as well. But there is a great divide between what goes out over cable stations where people can opt in to these programs by paying for them and what goes out over public airwaves and can potentially be seen and heard by your 3 year old or your granny. I think if you understand how things work here (the absurdity notwithstanding) you'll understand that this is not one artist's artistic compromise, it's just the way it is for everyone.

I think it was relevant to this thread because people were implying that Mika was making artistic compromises by altering the language in the song.

oh did he? I thought that simply the rap part that was cut out and the girl now sings something else.:doh: - Typical of me: so shocked by the arrangement not even paying attention to the lyrics. :teehee:

It is pretty much the same in Canada I believe. It's just that we are a less violent society so the irony is not so stark. I think the archaic nudity/swearing regulations remain in place for the same reason they do on MFC. They were there at the beginning and there is no incentive to change them.

Here it is the opposite. Nudity on tv was allowed here even during the tightly controlled years but it was always for 'artistic' reasons (typically in Hungarian and French films). So when the communist regime fell and nudity for the sake of nudity started to appear in the media it was not controlled at all first, only at a later stage, probably because we simply had no rules for differentiating between 'artistic' and 'commercial' nudity. So now they fall into the same category. In the nineties we could watch all the videos that were censored in America in full. Even now we do.

I think if you understand how things work here (the absurdity notwithstanding) you'll understand that this is not one artist's artistic compromise, it's just the way it is for everyone.

Yes, it is self-censorship. Obviously, if one records for Disney they are going to watch their words not because they have to but because they are addressing a teen or even younger audience. It is not an artistic compromise but a choice: a choice to market your song to that audience.

I have no desire to discuss American politics anywhere on this forum at all, actually. It has nothing to do with any remarks being hurtful -- and I certainly don't need to have my eyes opened. I'm not some naive youngster who hasn't seen anything of the world beyond the US. I've stayed out of this particular aspect of this conversation because some of the remarks made were offensive to me. You cannot compare the violence that occurs here due to a lack of gun control to regulations controlling our airwaves. It is, as Christine stated, a lot more complicated than that, and I'm not here to explain the politics or weaknesses of my country, just as I'm not here to judge other countries and their politics and weaknesses. :original:

I will say, though, that I actually like the new version of this song and think it could play well with US teens. The new mix is very Top 40 radio-friendly, and Ariana Grande is tied to a very popular Nickelodeon TV show. Nickelodeon, if you don't know, is very similar to the Disney Channel in its "wholesomeness" -- the stars of its shows are very nearly as squeaky clean as those on the Disney Channel, so I'm not surprised the lyrics have been sanitized -- and they would certainly need to have been for mainstream US radio in any case. The song's original theme is intact -- it's anti-bullying and positive -- "all that you have to do is be true to you... you're only ever who you were..." It's a message that is very in vogue at the moment. If the hope is that this will "sell" Mika to another segment of the US market, then I think there's a good chance of that happening. Whether it was his choice or not is really rather moot, I think -- the single has been released and it needs to be promoted, or else what was the point of doing it at all? :dunno:

Anyway, I like it. I bought it. And I think my 16-year-old niece and her friends will, too. :thumb_yello:

Edited by dcdeb

I have no desire to discuss American politics anywhere on this forum at all, actually. It has nothing to do with any remarks being hurtful -- and I certainly don't need to have my eyes opened. I'm not some naive youngster who hasn't seen anything of the world beyond the US. I've stayed out of this particular aspect of this conversation because some of the remarks made were offensive to me. You cannot compare the violence that occurs here due to a lack of gun control to regulations controlling our airwaves. It is, as Christine stated, a lot more complicated than that, and I'm not here to explain the politics or weaknesses of my country, just as I'm not here to judge other countries and their politics and weaknesses. :original:

I will say, though, that I actually like the new version of this song and think it could play well with US teens. The new mix is very Top 40 radio-friendly, and Ariana Grande is tied to a very popular Nickelodeon TV show. Nickelodeon, if you don't know, is very similar to the Disney Channel in its "wholesomeness" -- the stars of its shows are very nearly as squeaky clean as those on the Disney Channel, so I'm not surprised the lyrics have been sanitized -- and they would certainly need to have been for mainstream US radio in any case. The song's original theme is intact -- it's anti-bullying and positive -- "all that you have to do is be true to you... you're only ever who you were..." It's a message that is very in vogue at the moment. If the hope is that this will "sell" Mika to another segment of the US market, then I think there's a good chance of that happening. Whether it was his choice or not is really rather moot, I think -- the single has been released and it needs to be promoted, or else what was the point of doing it at all? :dunno:

Anyway, I like it. I bought it. And I think my 16-year-old niece and her friends will, too. :thumb_yello:

Very well said Deb:thumb_yello:

Edited by dcdeb
fixing my typos :)

well, his tweets about it sounded positive to me, not like keeping distance. :dunno: but maybe you remember, when he released kick ass, he sounded excited about it too, and later we learned that he hated the song. or maybe he started hating it cause it didn't bring him any success - maybe also in this case his distance or no distance to the project will depend on how successful the song becomes. :teehee:

(I'm sure he is already aware of different sides of the issue and probably knew advance that all his fans won't like the new version)

most. not all! (*justsaying* :teehee:)

as for someone saying that maybe he wasn't even involved in this and they just used his vocals from the original recording, that's definitely not true - not only the changed (swear) words, but also the sung vs. rapped parts, it's definitely a new recording!

what bothers me a bit in this thread is not the different opinions about the song, but that some people on here make it sound as if those who do like the new version have a bad taste. neither am i someone who likes listening to justin bieber, nor do i adore every fart of mika. but i do like this song. i don't remember who it was who posted those things, but if you say in a derogative way that only teenagers would like this music or that those who like it only do so because it's mika and will change their mind if he ever says anything against it, i'm not surprised that others post in this thread that mika fans sound like snobbish brats. :mf_rosetinted: mika is known for liking many different kinds of music, and although i definitely don't share each of his musical tastes, i absolutely like the fact that he's open to different styles of music. in my opinion, the message of the song is still the same in this new version, and if the music appeals to a younger audience as well, i don't see why this should be a negative thing or something that mika only did because his record label told him to. lollipop sounded like a nursery rhyme for kids (musically), but i don't think anyone ever claimed that mika released lollipop just because the record company wanted him to appeal to a younger audience. :naughty:

well, his tweets about it sounded positive to me, not like keeping distance. :dunno: but maybe you remember, when he released kick ass, he sounded excited about it too, and later we learned that he hated the song. or maybe he started hating it cause it didn't bring him any success - maybe also in this case his distance or no distance to the project will depend on how successful the song becomes. :teehee:

as for someone saying that maybe he wasn't even involved in this and they just used his vocals from the original recording, that's definitely not true - not only the changed (swear) words, but also the sung vs. rapped parts, it's definitely a new recording!

what bothers me a bit in this thread is not the different opinions about the song, but that some people on here make it sound as if those who do like the new version have a bad taste. neither am i someone who likes listening to justin bieber, nor do i adore every fart of mika. but i do like this song. i don't remember who it was who posted those things, but if you say in a derogative way that only teenagers would like this music or that those who like it only do so because it's mika and will change their mind if he ever says anything against it, i'm not surprised that others post in this thread that mika fans sound like snobbish brats. :mf_rosetinted: mika is known for liking many different kinds of music, and although i definitely don't share each of his musical tastes, i absolutely like the fact that he's open to different styles of music. in my opinion, the message of the song is still the same in this new version, and if the music appeals to a younger audience as well, i don't see why this should be a negative thing or something that mika only did because his record label told him to. lollipop sounded like a nursery rhyme for kids (musically), but i don't think anyone ever claimed that mika released lollipop just because the record company wanted him to appeal to a younger audience. :naughty:

Very well said :thumb_yello:

And I love the new version

I'm sorry to break up the conversations that are happening, but I just have to g e my opinion on this song, as its 'apparent target audience' is around my age.

Growing up, I was bullied to a terrible extent that landed me in the hospital a time or two. Basically, I know mean. So when I first heard the original Popular Song, I magnetised to it instantly. It was my favourite track on the album by far. Ive enjoyed Arianas acting, but never her singing, so when I saw that she was on the new single, I was angry to say the least. The first time I tried to listen to it, I turned it off in 12 seconds. How could he go and ruin a song that was so near and dear to my heart. I felt that he was "selling out" in a way, and it was not about to go down well with me. Well, last night I had a few bucks to blow and I really liked the cover art, so I bought it. I own every other of Mikas songs that are on iTunes, so why not keep the tradition going? I decided to listen to it, and made a discovery. It's not half bad. No, it's not the same song. It's not going to make me cry like the original. It lacks the personality of the original. But it's a catchy song and Ariana did a wonderful job with it, so mission complete. I do enjoy the new song, and given the chance, I expect it to do wonderful in America. While I am disappointed he felt the need to change my anthem as opposed to using a differen song, I know it's all in the name of the game. The message is wholesome, and he's just doing his job.

edit: I have a 10 year old sister, who is also a big Mika fan, and I just asked her opinion on which Popular Song she likes better, and she chose the one with Ariana. I asked why, and she said, "Well, it more for kids and I like Ariana." So there you go. Opinions from the younger end of the spectrum.

Edited by Micah

I will say, though, that I actually like the new version of this song and think it could play well with US teens. The new mix is very Top 40 radio-friendly, and Ariana Grande is tied to a very popular Nickelodeon TV show. Nickelodeon, if you don't know, is very similar to the Disney Channel in it's "wholesomeness" -- the stars of its shows are very nearly as squeaky clean as those on the Disney Channel, so I'm not surprised the lyrics have been sanitized -- and they would certainly need to have been for mainstream US radio in any case. The song's original theme is intact -- it's anti-bullying and positive -- "all that you have to do is be true to you... you're only ever who you were..." It's a message that is very in vogue at the moment. If the hope is that this will "sell" Mika to another segment of the US market, then I think there's a good chance of that happening. Whether it was his choice or not is really rather moot, I think -- the single has been released and it needs to be promoted, or else what was the point of doing it at all? :dunno:

I understand your point very well, Deb :thumb_yello: Both about politics and about the song. The single is released and needs to be promoted and I really hope it will do good and I want to support it as much as possible, of course! I would still love to know if it was his idea or not and hear his thoughts about releasing it.

Oh, that was just my very poor English!! Sorry :blush-anim-cl: I meant to say that he must have guessed in advance that not every fan likes this version (sorry, I have no idea how to put "not every..." in proper English), that there will also be many fans who prefer the original version, this one is clearly _mainly_ aimed to younger target group. But of course one doesn't need to be a teenager to like this version either!

Even Mika fans can have very different tastes. Also, my own favorites change during time. When the album came out I thought Stardust is a bit too teenage style for my taste... I was so wrong!! After hearing it live I realized I love it almost as much as I love Underwater :swoon: I also thought Step With Me is quite romantic and I called it a "boy band song" - just to learn it's my husband's favorite song on the album (and you know, he is definitely not a boy band style at all, lol).

A listener judges the outcome not Mika himself. I think that is pretty much the norm for those who rely on their ears when forming an opinion about a performance.

I'm sure we all rely on our ears when forming our personal opinion on a performance :wink2: I was referring some other aspects, like how he worked hard to create a new, more mature image for the new album and how this doesn't really support that image (and that's why I was very surprised to hear about the collaboration). Still, I have no doubts he is fully aware what he is doing and as I already commented to Deb above, the single is out and I hope it will do good :thumb_yello:

I have no desire to discuss American politics anywhere on this forum at all, actually.

Perhaps you don't but others might :dunno: I mean, even though this time I did not even say a word about politics, especially not US poilitics it would be interesting to know why it would hurt people since they are not directly responsible for any of it and may even be opposing some of the ideas themselves. For example, anyone can form an opinion about the policies of my country, I can always explain some more background to it if I can.In fact, I'd be happy to do so because I find it embarrassing.

I'm sure we all rely on our ears when forming our personal opinion on a performance :wink2:

If one says they don't like a song but Mika is 'allowed' to release it/ he had good intentions with it / he seems happy to perform it (some examples I have heard over the years ) I tend to call this listening with one's heart rather than with one's ears. That's what I meant. :wink2:

i don't see why this should be a negative thing or something that mika only did because his record label told him to. lollipop sounded like a nursery rhyme for kids (musically), but i don't think anyone ever claimed that mika released lollipop just because the record company wanted him to appeal to a younger audience. :naughty:

Lollipop is an adult song, it is only a nursery rhyme to the superficial listener. The difference between this version and Mika's original is in the arrangements : the new version is simpler and easier to process, that is why it appeals to a younger generation. Just because I say that gummy bears are for kids it does not mean that adults don't consumer them but it is still predominantly kids.

@Micah Thanks for sharing your perspective on this. It was interesting to read what you, the 'apparent target audience' . Your 10-year old sister is pretty wise as well. I think she is right. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

That's exactly what I think. :fisch:

Well said! I am 58 years old and I love the new version. Plus, saying that Mika might just as well be JB or Psy, because he's done this colab, or being disrespectful to Ariana, just because she had the nerve to sing with our wonderful Mika, is not helping Mika.

Its also not nice to disrespect other artists. I quite admire JB as he has a strong work ethic for one so young. He has a lot of sense. As for Psy, well who wouldn't want to be a hit on YT. I'd certainly love to be! Good luck to him I say.

As for Ariana, she has a lovely voice and seems like a lovely person.

In my earlier post, I just want Mika's fans to think before they write something on here, or twitter. Think what it will seem like to Ariana's fans who love her just as much as we love Mika. We'd be mortified if her fans were saying disrespectful things about her colaboration with Mika. "What's she singing with HIM for?" Stuff like that, but they haven't. They seem to love it. So I think, even if some Mika fans don't love it, they shouldn't be negative about it. After all, if the song gets to #1 everyone will be happy.

We'd be mortified if her fans were saying disrespectful things about her colaboration with Mika. "What's she singing with HIM for?" Stuff like that, but they haven't. They seem to love it. So I think, even if some Mika fans don't love it, they shouldn't be negative about it. After all, if the song gets to #1 everyone will be happy.

Are you sure about that? http://paulie.diarys.info/uncategorized/ariana-grande-continues-to-waste-her-talent-in-a-new-song-with-some-guy-named-mika.html

Mikasounds official uploaded a video 9 hours ago.

It's blocked all over the world!! :shocked:

"This video contains content from UMG. It is not available"

MIKA-Popular ft. Ariana Grande

mqdefault.jpg

:doh:

This whole thing is reminding me of Kick Ass and unless it gets picked up by radio I'm afraid it's going to suffer the same fate.