XL REPUBBLICA - how Mika keeps himself busy ;-) - part 2

robertina

OK, here's my attempt at translating -- please excuse any mistakes. Not only am I rusty, but my keyboard is sticking for sommee reasoson anand I'm geetting lootts of double letterers. Ugh.

Italian Lesson Nightmare: I Dream of German Nannies Named Simona

On the 52nd floor of the tallest bulding in Tokyo, Isabella, desperate, covers her face with her hands. She tells me that I have a really bad vocabulary (in Italian) and that my Italian is a disgrace. I reject her criticisms, claiming that I don't speak Italian badly, I speak it like a New Yorker. She raises her eyes to the sky and adds that she has never met anyone like me, beyond murdering the Italian language I have a terrible accent, I seem like the wife of the Spanish ambassador. I reply that then I should not have a Sicilian snob as a teacher. It is only one example of the lessons with Isabella, my teacher, an everyday presence in my life since I undertook learning Italian in two months. At the beginning of October I will put my new linguistic ability to the test, judging at X Factor Italian edition. If this is not a good motive for learning a language, which motive could ever be?

After my third show with X Factor in December, a production assistant, all excited, asked me if I would ever consider the idea of being a judge. I smiled, thinking that they were joking or out of their mind. I didn't understand. Then I found out that they were very serious and at the beginning of the year, shocking my management, I accepted the proposal. My managers couldn't believe that I would be a judge in a talent show (I had refused similar offers in other countries) and in Italian! My motives were very simple. Over the last few years I have been in Italy for my work and I have spent a lot of free time there. The Italian edition of X Factor seems to me the most independent and the least controlled of all these shows of this genre. To me, it's in the tradition of the singing competitions that have been part of the popular Italian culture for 40 years. Beyond that, I would be forced to learn Italian in a short time. This is why I undertook this crazy task, and why my 24-year-old teacher is traveling with me while I am touring the world.

How will it go? I have no idea, but I know that I want to enjoy this experience as much as possible. It is a bit like going on a roller coaster. Now I am in the most anxious phase of the ride, when they bring to me to the top of the ramp, and I don't know what to expect, you want to go down, but you want to go ahead. Studying grammar and vocabulary without a break, I feel like my head has been squeezed between the thighs of a sumo wrestler and I have taken to hating the person most important in this challenge, Isabella. The other evening in a moment of exasperated terror from jet lag, I had a nightmare. I dreamed of the hall of the hotel where I was the previous morning, in Jakarta. There a group of Indonesian children, whispering, scampering here and there. The (nanny? not sure how to translate "tata") began ranting at them in German and the children remained like stone, like me when I discovered it was none other than Simona Ventura. I never saw a (nanny?) more fascinating: perfect haircut, dressed in Prada from head to foot, diamonds around her neck and in her ears. She spoke to me in German and I continued to repeat to her in Spanish that I didn't understand. She knows that I am going crazy. Simona was the dearest of all with me in the show, the judge I spoke the most to.

I don't want to speak Italian like a beast. I hope that I speak it well. Isabella guarantees me that I have the chance to manage it, without seeming like the wife of the Spanish ambassador. What she will say then, I don't know.

Edited by dcdeb

OK, here's my attempt at translating -- please excuse any mistakes. Not only am I rusty, but my keyboard is sticking for sommee reasoson anand I'm geetting lootts of double letterers. Ugh.

On the 52nd floor of the tallest bulding in Tokyo, Isabella, desperate, covers her face with her hands. She tells me that I have a really bad vocabulary (in Italian) and that my Italian is a disgrace. I reject her criticisms, claiming that I don't speak Italian badly, I speak it like a New Yorker. She raises her eyes to the sky and adds that she has never met anyone like me, beyond murdering the Italian language I have a terrible accent, I seem like the wife of the Spanish ambassador. I reply that then I should not have a Sicilian snob as a teacher. It is only one example of the lessons with Isabella, my teacher, an everyday presence in my life since I undertook learning Italian in two months. At the beginning of October I will put my new linguistic ability to the test, judging at X Factor Italian edition. If this is not a good motive for learning a language, which motive could ever be?

After my third exhibition with X Factor in December, a production assistant, all excited, asked me if I would ever consider the idea of being a judge. I smiled, thinking that they were joking or out of their mind. I didn't understand. Then I found out that they were very serious and at the beginning of the year, shocking my management, I accepted the proposal. My managers couldn't believe that I would be a judge in a talent show (I had refused similar offers in other countries) and in Italian! My motives were very simple. Over the last few years I have been in Italy for my work and I have spent a lot of free time there. The Italian edition of X Factor seems to me the most independent and the least controlled of all these shows of this genre. To me, it's in the tradition of the singing competitions that have been part of the popular Italian culture for 40 years. Beyond that, I would be forced to learn Italian in a short time. This is why I undertook this crazy task, and why my 24-year-old teacher is traveling with me while I am touring the world.

How will it go? I have no idea, but I know that I want to enjoy this experience as much as possible. It is a bit like going on a roller coaster. Now I am in the most anxious phase of the ride, when they bring to me to the top of the ramp, and I don't know what to expect, you want to go down, but you want to go ahead. Studying grammar and vocabulary without a break, I feel like my head has been squeezed between the thighs of a sumo wrestler and I have taken to hating the person most important in this challenge, Isabella. The other evening in a moment of exasperated terror from jet lag, I had a nightmare. I dreamed of the hall of the hotel where I was the previous morning, in Jakarta. There a group of Indonesian children, whispering, scampering here and there. The (nanny? not sure how to translate "tata") began ranting at them in German and the children remained like stone, like me when I discovered it was none other than Simona Ventura. I never saw a (nanny?) more fascinating: perfect haircut, dressed in Prada from head to foot, diamonds around her neck and in her ears. She spoke to me in German and I continued to repeat to her in Spanish that I didn't understand. She knows that I am going crazy. Simona was the dearest of all with me in the show, the judge I spoke the most to.

I don't want to speak Italian like a beast. I hope that I speak it well. Isabella guarantees me that I have the chance to manage it, without seeming like the wife of the Spanish ambassador. What she will say then, I don't know.

Thank you DEB :flowers2: ! I understood everything, even though there were some words you were confused with, the subject is very understandable!

Grazie Deb , thank you , even after 3 years of studying Italian , I still have some difficulty. When we don't practice a language we loose it , it's as simple as that. I'm sure Mika'll do well in Italian. He already speaks French and spanish , and that helps a LOT !

Grazie Deb , thank you , even after 3 years of studying Italian , I still have some difficulty. When we don't practice a language we loose it , it's as simple as that. I'm sure Mika'll do well in Italian. He already speaks French and spanish , and that helps a LOT !

Sadly he forgot spanish. I made sure last Saturday in Salamanca. You can see it in all the vids from there. He spoke almost nothing in spanish :sad: now he speaks espatalian :mf_rosetinted:

Sadly he forgot spanish. I made sure last Saturday in Salamanca. You can see it in all the vids from there. He spoke almost nothing in spanish :sad: now he speaks espatalian :mf_rosetinted:

Come on ! In Spanish tv shows he was speaking Spanish very fluently ! Perhaps it's the effect of learning Italian , he might be afraid mixing the two languages ? :naughty:

Come on ! In Spanish tv shows he was speaking Spanish very fluently ! Perhaps it's the effect of learning Italian , he might be afraid mixing the two languages ? :naughty:

You said it "was" now the next Hormiguero will do it in italian :mf_rosetinted:

After my third exhibition with X Factor in December, a production assistant, all excited, asked me if I would ever consider the idea of being a judge. I smiled, thinking that they were joking or out of their mind. I didn't understand. Then I found out that they were very serious and at the beginning of the year, shocking my management, I accepted the proposal. My managers couldn't believe that I would be a judge in a talent show (I had refused similar offers in other countries) and in Italian! My motives were very simple. Over the last few years I have been in Italy for my work and I have spent a lot of free time there. The Italian edition of X Factor seems to me the most independent and the least controlled of all these shows of this genre. To me, it's in the tradition of the singing competitions that have been part of the popular Italian culture for 40 years. Beyond that, I would be forced to learn Italian in a short time. This is why I undertook this crazy task, and why my 24-year-old teacher is traveling with me while I am touring the world.

Thank you so much Deb :flowers2::huglove::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I could have never waited to read it in English :teehee:

After my third show with X Factor in December, a production assistant, all excited, asked me if I would ever consider the idea of being a judge. I smiled, thinking that they were joking or out of their mind. I didn't understand. Then I found out that they were very serious and at the beginning of the year, shocking my management, I accepted the proposal. My managers couldn't believe that I would be a judge in a talent show (I had refused similar offers in other countries) and in Italian! My motives were very simple. Over the last few years I have been in Italy for my work and I have spent a lot of free time there. The Italian edition of X Factor seems to me the most independent and the least controlled of all these shows of this genre. To me, it's in the tradition of the singing competitions that have been part of the popular Italian culture for 40 years. Beyond that, I would be forced to learn Italian in a short time. This is why I undertook this crazy task, and why my 24-year-old teacher is traveling with me while I am touring the world.

Thanks Deb! You rock:huglove:

Oh Deb you are really good in Italian! Thank you so much for your hard work :huglove:

I'm really sorry that i wasn't there for translate it but I'm studying for exams at college :sad:

Edited by Lucrezia

Oh Deb you are really good in Italian! Thank you so much for your hard work :huglove:

I'm really sorry that i wasn't there for translate it but I'm studying for exams at college :sad:

36996666.jpg

:huglove::huglove::huglove:

Oh good luck, Lucrezia. Fingers crossed that you'll do well! :crossed:

And it was good practice for me -- I really do need to brush up on my Italian! :thumb_yello:

Thank you Deb!! :huglove:

The first thing I thought after reading it is I wondered if his teacher helped him with writing the column since it was directly written in Italian it seems :teehee:

I don't think so -- it says that it was translated by Emilia Benghi, in the lower right corner, so I think it must have been written in English originally. :dunno: But I will say that it was pretty easy for me to translate -- I only had to double-check on a couple words. I'm still not sure about "tata" though. :blink: