MIKA @XFactor Italy 2013 as a judge!

robertina

Unfortunately, I am not at home this week -- working in the Real World for a change -- and so I haven't had nearly as much time to devote the attention I'd like to on this subject. But I have read through it as much as I can and wanted to add my thoughts to the mix while I have a bit of free time.

First of all, I defy anyone to question how much I love and support Mika. I've been on MFC almost since it started, and have spent countless hours as well as dollars helping to keep this forum running, with the ultimate goal being to support and promote Mika. So for anyone to say that just because I don't agree with this decision of his to go on X Factor in Italy I am a bad fan, or disloyal, or not supportive... well, you're wrong, plain and simple. Twist my words any way you want, but that doesn't make it so. I think Mika is amazing, both as an individual and as an artist, and I want him to succeed on a grand scale -- personally, as well as professionally. He knows that, his team knows that, and all of you should know it, as well.

But the fact remains that I don't agree with his choice to do this show. He may do very well on it. He may sweep Italy off its feet. He probably will. He may become a HUGE star in Italy. And he may think he needs to do this show for any of the number of reasons many of you have listed in this thread. Maybe he needs a rest, maybe he needs inspiration, maybe he needs the money, maybe he needs the challenge/change... Whatever. You're all right -- he's free to do whatever he wants with his life, make choices good or bad, succeed or fail at whatever he likes. That's all not my issue.

The issue is that I have been a fan of Mika, both as a person and as an artist, for 6-1/2 years, and I thought the goal -- his goal, not mine -- was to be a successful musician. Not to just have a few top 10 hits in the UK and then disappear from the scene. Not to just perform in France. Not to just act as a judge on a reality show in Italy. I thought the goal was to have a successful, long-term career as a songwriter and performer on a fairly big scale. That certainly seemed to be the goal if you bought into all the hype that accompanied his 2007 debut. Mika was fresh, different, unique even, and was going to change music forever! Hurray! I believed it and rejoiced! :yay:

So... I don't know. Maybe the goal changed somewhere along the line, or maybe it was unrealistic to begin with. But I think that this is why so many of us who were here in 2006/7 are feeling rather disillusioned at this particular career choice. Here is someone we fell in love with as the new face of music -- someone who went against the grain, whose music was fresh and not like every other thing on the radio. This was someone who stood for not conforming to the old industry standards, someone who just stood out, for that matter... and now he appears to be conforming. It seems he's getting sucked into the music industry machine, where he will be talking about someone else's career, someone else's music, instead of his own. How exactly is that going to further his career? And on top of that, we see him devoting so much time and energy to other side projects that may be gratifying to him as a person, but what exactly do sunglasses and a clothing line have to do with his music? He's not Britney Spears or J. Lo, is he? He's not going to come out with a MIKA fragrance next, is he?

As I said, if these projects are important to him creatively on a personal level, then, OK. I can put up with them. But how many more of these side projects will there be? At what point do they stop being SIDE projects and become ALL Mika is doing? Yes, he's performing a load of festivals this summer, and no, he's not a machine, he obviously can't crank out new music and perform nonstop without a mental and physical break. I get that. But...

Perhaps I'm being dense, and this is now the path to the old goal -- a long, sustained career in the music business. Maybe that's the strategy. "If I can't get them to buy my records because they like the music, I'll do a clothing line. Then once they love the clothing, they'll buy the records. Then I'll be a judge on X Factor and they'll fall in love with me because I'm so charming, and then they'll buy my records."

I've been asked to keep an open mind about this decision, and I'm trying.

I'm still feeling the high from those exceptional acoustic shows the week before last, I'm still loving Mika SO much... He's sweet and charming and seems to be so sincere, as anyone who's spent even 30 seconds with him in real life knows. As I've said before, I'm a fan of Mika the man, as well as a fan of Mika the musician. So I WANT to support him in everything he does, personally and professionally.

But the truth is that this X Factor thing doesn't appeal to me. I don't see how limiting himself to several months in Italy, on a show that only Italians (and hard core fans like ourselves) are going to see is going to earn him any more exposure or credibility in the music world at large. All it does, in my opinion, is alienate those of us who want to support HIS music, and his MUSIC career. :dunno:

Obviously, just because I can't see the benefit of it, doesn't mean there isn't any. And let's face it, no one on Mika's team, starting with Mika, is looking for my opinion on this decision. I have to accept it, and of course I will, because it's not the end of the world. But I think as a fan from nearly the beginning, I've earned the right to express a disagreement with his choice without being told off about it or being called disloyal or even "wrong", for that matter. It's really disturbing to me to have read a lot of what's been said in this thread -- it's a forum, we're allowed to talk about what we think and feel here. And this is how I feel. If you feel otherwise, that's fine -- I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't feel that way, so please don't tell me I shouldn't feel the way I do, either.

And with that, I need to go back to the Real World, which luckily for me this week consists of riding roller coasters and visiting with the other Big M in my life, Mickey Mouse. Sorry if I don't reply to anything else in this thread -- it's not that I don't care, it's that I won't have much time until Sunday, and besides, I think the subject has just about been exhausted by now anyway :original:

I agree with what you say, but as much as you dislike being called disloyal, I don't like being called a ass licker (or any similar or even just this idea of fan categories) :thumb_yello: and I wish it was equally heard:shocked:

We are all human after all:blush-anim-cl:

Edited by cathouzouf

Unfortunately, I am not at home this week -- working in the Real World for a change -- and so I haven't had nearly as much time to devote the attention I'd like to on this subject. But I have read through it as much as I can and wanted to add my thoughts to the mix while I have a bit of free time.

First of all, I defy anyone to question how much I love and support Mika. I've been on MFC almost since it started, and have spent countless hours as well as dollars helping to keep this forum running, with the ultimate goal being to support and promote Mika. So for anyone to say that just because I don't agree with this decision of his to go on X Factor in Italy I am a bad fan, or disloyal, or not supportive... well, you're wrong, plain and simple. Twist my words any way you want, but that doesn't make it so. I think Mika is amazing, both as an individual and as an artist, and I want him to succeed on a grand scale -- personally, as well as professionally. He knows that, his team knows that, and all of you should know it, as well.

But the fact remains that I don't agree with his choice to do this show. He may do very well on it. He may sweep Italy off its feet. He probably will. He may become a HUGE star in Italy. And he may think he needs to do this show for any of the number of reasons many of you have listed in this thread. Maybe he needs a rest, maybe he needs inspiration, maybe he needs the money, maybe he needs the challenge/change... Whatever. You're all right -- he's free to do whatever he wants with his life, make choices good or bad, succeed or fail at whatever he likes. That's all not my issue.

The issue is that I have been a fan of Mika, both as a person and as an artist, for 6-1/2 years, and I thought the goal -- his goal, not mine -- was to be a successful musician. Not to just have a few top 10 hits in the UK and then disappear from the scene. Not to just perform in France. Not to just act as a judge on a reality show in Italy. I thought the goal was to have a successful, long-term career as a songwriter and performer on a fairly big scale. That certainly seemed to be the goal if you bought into all the hype that accompanied his 2007 debut. Mika was fresh, different, unique even, and was going to change music forever! Hurray! I believed it and rejoiced! :yay:

So... I don't know. Maybe the goal changed somewhere along the line, or maybe it was unrealistic to begin with. But I think that this is why so many of us who were here in 2006/7 are feeling rather disillusioned at this particular career choice. Here is someone we fell in love with as the new face of music -- someone who went against the grain, whose music was fresh and not like every other thing on the radio. This was someone who stood for not conforming to the old industry standards, someone who just stood out, for that matter... and now he appears to be conforming. It seems he's getting sucked into the music industry machine, where he will be talking about someone else's career, someone else's music, instead of his own. How exactly is that going to further his career? And on top of that, we see him devoting so much time and energy to other side projects that may be gratifying to him as a person, but what exactly do sunglasses and a clothing line have to do with his music? He's not Britney Spears or J. Lo, is he? He's not going to come out with a MIKA fragrance next, is he?

As I said, if these projects are important to him creatively on a personal level, then, OK. I can put up with them. But how many more of these side projects will there be? At what point do they stop being SIDE projects and become ALL Mika is doing? Yes, he's performing a load of festivals this summer, and no, he's not a machine, he obviously can't crank out new music and perform nonstop without a mental and physical break. I get that. But...

Perhaps I'm being dense, and this is now the path to the old goal -- a long, sustained career in the music business. Maybe that's the strategy. "If I can't get them to buy my records because they like the music, I'll do a clothing line. Then once they love the clothing, they'll buy the records. Then I'll be a judge on X Factor and they'll fall in love with me because I'm so charming, and then they'll buy my records."

I'm still feeling the high from those exceptional acoustic shows the week before last, I'm still loving Mika SO much... He's sweet and charming and seems to be so sincere, as anyone who's spent even 30 seconds with him in real life knows. As I've said before, I'm a fan of Mika the man, as well as a fan of Mika the musician. So I WANT to support him in everything he does, personally and professionally.

But the truth is that this X Factor thing doesn't appeal to me. I don't see how limiting himself to several months in Italy, on a show that only Italians (and hard core fans like ourselves) are going to see is going to earn him any more exposure or credibility in the music world at large. All it does, in my opinion, is alienate those of us who want to support HIS music, and his MUSIC career. :dunno:

Obviously, just because I can't see the benefit of it, doesn't mean there isn't any. And let's face it, no one on Mika's team, starting with Mika, is looking for my opinion on this decision. I have to accept it, and of course I will, because it's not the end of the world. But I think as a fan from nearly the beginning, I've earned the right to express a disagreement with his choice without being told off about it or being called disloyal or even "wrong", for that matter. It's really disturbing to me to have read a lot of what's been said in this thread -- it's a forum, we're allowed to talk about what we think and feel here. And this is how I feel. If you feel otherwise, that's fine -- I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't feel that way, so please don't tell me I shouldn't feel the way I do, either.

And with that, I need to go back to the Real World, which luckily for me this week consists of riding roller coasters and visiting with the other Big M in my life, Mickey Mouse. Sorry if I don't reply to anything else in this thread -- it's not that I don't care, it's that I won't have much time until Sunday, and besides, I think the subject has just about been exhausted by now anyway :original:

I love you :huglove::wub2:

I agree with what you say, but as much as you dislike being called disloyal, I don't like being called a ass licker :thumb_yello: and I wish it was equally heard:shocked:

We are all human after all:blush-anim-cl:

Once again I remember being the only one saying people kiss his ass and I apologised if that offended people. However, I have not heard anyone apologise for calling us disloyal, selfish etc.

Once again I remember being the only one saying people kiss his ass and I apologised if that offended people. However, I have not heard anyone apologise for calling us disloyal, selfish etc.

I would happily apoligize if I would be responsible which I'm not :huglove:

I agree with what you say, but as much as you dislike being called disloyal, I don't like being called a ass licker (or any similar or even just this idea of fan categories) :thumb_yello: and I wish it was equally heard:shocked:

I would happily apoligize if I would be responsible which I'm not :huglove:

Fair enough. But don't say you're not 'heard' when you have been heard. :wink2:

:thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello::huglove:

Count me in on this one.

This is exactly what my problem with MFC has been for a while. I mean I haven't been here for very long at all and maybe it's been like this long before I registered - I wouldn't know what MFC was like at the beginning. Maybe I've only noticed it recently because my honeymoon with the place is over. :naughty: But it annoys me that I get called a bad fan because I don't agree with everything Mika does or worship the ground beneath him. And honestly, anyone who never questions the choices of their idols are out of their mind. They remind me of some crazy cult who allow themselves to be lead anywhere just because their "leader" says so.

+1.

I agree and disagree with you, honey. I mean we became fans roughly at the same time so I know what you mean by having anything to hear from Mika being exciting. But at the same time, the examples you mentioned have something to do with his music. I don't mind him having small projects but I just wish they had something to do with his actual profession. And I'm not referring only to this X Factor nonsense, I wasn't happy about his Belgian clothing collection either. These things take time from a new album and tour.

Someone mentioned that Mika shouldn't be viewed as a thing that produces music and I completely agree - I do like knowing something about the person behind the music. But at the same time, isn't his music what we're here for? At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Yes and wasn't that fabulous! Now, like so many others have said, he's doing the exact opposite of what he used to preach about with that song and that is what disappoints me. Mika once said he made alternative pop music and I loved him for saying that. It just seemed like the perfect way of describing his music. Now he's getting assocciated with something completely different that aims to producing calculated, formulated pop stars that all sound alike.

Yeah, but he can work with guys and help them to be unique, not a standardized product, that's what he's saying in the recent interviews regarding XF, and that is the value I'm sure he'll bring into the show.

Yeah, but he can work with guys and help them to be unique, not a standardized product, that's what he's saying in the recent interviews regarding XF, and that is the value I'm sure he'll bring into the show.

Your're either unique, or you're not, it's something that you have, not something that can be pulled out of nowhere.

THAT is what the X Factor was SUPPOSED to be about, instead, it's Simon Cowells bland music clone factory!

THAT is the reason Simon Cowell rejected Mika for in the first place, because he WAS unique, and NOT mainstream and bland!

Edited by RAK1

Just found that there was a little column in La Repubblica today about Mika as X Factor judge with something new. Give me a moment and i'll translate it

Thanks a lot Lucrezia - for always being so quick with your translations!:thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

Oh darn, I tried to only repost a part of your story, but almost the whole thing is too important to delete:thumb_yello:

Deb: you are saying my words! Totally.

(Well, except about the hard work for MFC, that is totally you!:blush-anim-cl:)

Your're either unique, or you're not, it's something that you have, not something that can be pulled out of nowhere.

THAT is what the X Factor was SUPPOSED to be about, instead, it's Simon Cowells bland music clone factory!

THAT is the reason Simon Cowell rejected Mika for in the first place, because he WAS unique, and NOT mainstream and bland!

I hate being so skeptical and I know people are going to tell me to have some faith in all of this, but how much is Mika really going to be allowed to bring uniqueness to the show? What Rose said about Simon Cowell stands correct.

They're not looking for someone who'll reinvent the wheel. They're looking for people who have the potential to become selling artists, not people who they can sign to an indie record label. Surely enough, the pop world has its oddities like Lady Gaga but even her success is largely due to the fact that she's managed to brand herself successfully. If you take away her odd stage props etc what do you have left? A great singer with somewhat conventional pop songs. In my opinion all of Mika's songs aren't ones that would appeal to the general public like Lady Gaga's. His uniqueness is in his sound and you can't strip that away like a meat dress. And that's why I don't completely understand his decision of being a part of this.

No offense to Lady Gaga fans, I like her too. :teehee:

I'm happy for Italian fans :wub2:

Maybe it's a "commercial" show, but Mika needs media exposure like all artists...and he might change the rules and the show by being in it in my opinion...

Such shows may be a way for him to raise enough money to do more intimate accoustic gigs everywhere and not only in the USA...so all his fans around the world have such gigs in due time...

In Mika , I trust :wink2:

Maybe it's a "commercial" show, but Mika needs media exposure like all artists...and he might change the rules and the show by being in it in my opinion...

Such shows may be a way for him to raise enough money to do more intimate accoustic gigs everywhere and not only in the USA...so all his fans around the world have such gigs in due time...

:wink2:

This is just it, what I have been trying to get people to understand, he WON'T be changing ANYTHING on the show.

It is Simon Cowells creation, HIS baby, HIS template.

Every country may have their choice of who judges, but the template of the show is set in stone, by Simon Cowell. NO ONE gets to mess with that.

This is just it, what I have been trying to get people to understand, he WON'T be changing ANYTHING on the show.

Every country may have their choice of who judges, but the template of the show is set in stone, by Simon Cowell. NO ONE gets to mess with that.

I understand what you mean Rose. I have never watched Xfactor so I have no opinion about it really :dunno:

That's a pity if Mika can't mess with that baby indeed :blink:

Hopefully the show will be online and then I'll make up my mind about it :thumb_yello:

I understand what you mean Rose. I have never watched Xfactor so I have no opinion about it really :dunno:

That's a pity if Mika can't mess with that baby indeed :blink:

Hopefully the show will be online and then I'll make up my mind about it :thumb_yello:

Havent read back but what about the "Should i look older, should i bend over just to be put on your shelf" thingie?

And the "But you only want what everybody else says you should want" thingie???

I guess he's gone identity mad this time...