MIKA on Tonight Show w/Ariana Grande 10/1/13

dcdeb

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Despite this not being the best performance in the history of performances, I thought it was cute. Ariana does have a great voice but the ad libs etc. is something you either like or don't. I don't listen to her album on repeat, but girlfriend does have a lot of talent.

And let's be fair here, Mika doesn't always outshine other people in duets. Ida owned his ass in Blame it on the Weather, or the Queen of the Night part of the Imaginarium tour. :naughty:

My opinion is, they both did well under the circumstances.

They wouldn't have had much time to rehearse and are not used to singing live together. I thought the performance was a lot of fun. Yes, the sound could have been better but they looked happy and energetic and sounded good.

I think Mika acquitted himself well on the show, and so did Ariana.

Why are people's expectations of Mika so low? We can't expect much under the circumstances? If we can't expect a top performance from Mika during his only US TV appearance in 6 months then when can we expect a top performance?

How does one draw the conclusion that he is trying not to outshine his singing partners? Simply because he doesn't?

I don't have any problem with their performance aside from the fact that I never cared for the song in the first place. I just don't understand the low expectations and endless excuses. It's okay to simply say something is not great (if that's what you think).

Ariana puts more effort into her singing than her dancing and performing (from what I've seen from her performances) so I guess if Mika had performed overly energetically like he usually would, it would look a little strange and off ( in a good way :naughty: )

As for his singing, I personally think Ariana's a better singer than him, but what I've always loved about Mika's voice is that he has a lot of personality in his singing techniques so he's great too imo. Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this lol

As for his singing, I personally think Ariana's a better singer than him, but what I've always loved about Mika's voice is that he has a lot of personality in his singing techniques so he's great too imo.

Yes I totally agree with this and this is perhaps the reason he is better singing solo. Also aside from with Imogen Heap he does not harmonize very well (or at all) with other singers which is the whole point of a duet IMO. I think Max has been his best vocal match for either a back up singer or partner.

General thought about Mika's dancing (or lack there of): I remember hearing years ago when Depeche Mode performed on one of these late night shows they (the producers I guess?) told Dave Gahan not to dance so much, they gave him just a small space to move around in. So maybe Mika had similar restrictions?

My opinion is, they both did well under the circumstances.

They wouldn't have had much time to rehearse and are not used to singing live together. I thought the performance was a lot of fun. Yes, the sound could have been better but they looked happy and energetic and sounded good.

I think Mika acquitted himself well on the show, and so did Ariana.

I think this is the key. :naughty:

I noticed Mika looking at her a lot, like he was monitoring her in case she forgot her part & he needed to help her or something.

Yes, that was exactly my point. Everyone who shall perform a duet has to co-operate - that's why Mika is not usually at his own (very high) level in duets. Like he trying not to be better/bigger star than the other person, which is of course how it should be in duets, I understand that. I guess I just rather watch him being a star. They did well though and it was a cute performance.

My thoughts exactly, except I missed Max! How could I miss his dance moves, lol!

Anyone knows who was in drums? Only Max and Tim were there?

Max was dancing? I don't remember seeing the band at all. Guess I got a one-track mind :teehee:

Why are people's expectations of Mika so low? We can't expect much under the circumstances? If we can't expect a top performance from Mika during his only US TV appearance in 6 months then when can we expect a top performance?

How does one draw the conclusion that he is trying not to outshine his singing partners? Simply because he doesn't?

I don't have any problem with their performance aside from the fact that I never cared for the song in the first place. I just don't understand the low expectations and endless excuses. It's okay to simply say something is not great (if that's what you think).

You probably didn't refer to me but still wanted to clear my words. I thought it _was_ great, as great as it can be under the circumstances. That's my polite way to say I don't like Ariana as a singer. She can be musically talented and as I've said a few times - she is a very sweet girl - but her singing is not my taste at all and I don't find her voice pleasant. But, I know this kind of appearances are important to Mika and I'm pleased he had this opportunity because of her. I couldn't wait to watch it and I thought they did very well. I still think Mika does Popular far better solo, there's much more energy and charm and in my opinion he was holding back and observing Ariana carefully, as it should be in a performance like this. They were very cute together (lol, I wish I could use another word than cute but seeing their outfits and age/size difference "cute" is the best word to describe it).

Edit: Totally agree about Max, btw. LOVE his backing vocals (sorry, not sure what is the right English term).

Edited by tiibet

Ariana puts more effort into her singing than her dancing and performing (from what I've seen from her performances) so I guess if Mika had performed overly energetically like he usually would, it would look a little strange and off ( in a good way :naughty: )

As for his singing, I personally think Ariana's a better singer than him, but what I've always loved about Mika's voice is that he has a lot of personality in his singing techniques so he's great too imo. Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this lol

Amen! I think Ariana has better technique when it comes to singing duets. She has the tendency to overdo it, but still you can say whatever you want, she is a great singer. Whether her voice is your taste is another story.

I don't think Mika has a voice for singing duets. He is so much better singing solo and I feel like in most live versions of duets, he is outshined by the other singer, not because he 'lets' them outshine him, but just because as Christine said, he doesn't harmonize and keeps singing lead voice when backing voice would be much better for the song.

[YOUTUBE]X4ysl8mDOag[/YOUTUBE]

I personally think Ida is much better in this video.

[YOUTUBE]1AZz3AVS98M?t[/YOUTUBE]

Here he shows how magnificent he sounds on his own when he uses the right techniques. Watch the ending. You can even hear Curtis going 'wow!'

You probably didn't refer to me but still wanted to clear my words. I thought it _was_ great, as great as it can be under the circumstances.

This is exactly what I was referring to actually. If you have to qualify by saying "under the circumstances" then it is really not great pretty much by definition.

If Mika was preoccupied with Ariana not messing up her lines then I guess we can blame it on her, but I wouldn't say it had anything to do with him holding back so he didn't outshine her.

I don't think Mika has a voice for singing duets. He is so much better singing solo and I feel like in most live versions of duets, he is outshined by the other singer, not because he 'lets' them outshine him, but just because as Christine said, he doesn't harmonize and keeps singing lead voice when backing voice would be much better for the song.

I must say I can't pay my usual attention to his voice when he is singing with someone else. I simply find it disturbing that there's someone else and feel he lets them outshine him by giving them his usual space on stage, holding back his performing. Just my opinion, I simply prefer listening him solo. The band usually never takes too much of his space, I love them. In the beginning I was worried about Joy but it was only the first performances. I've learnt to like Ida a lot, I hope we will see her on stage with him again.

I must say I can't pay my usual attention to his voice when he is singing with someone else. I simply find it disturbing that there's someone else and feel he lets them outshine him by giving them his usual space on stage, holding back his performing. Just my opinion, I simply prefer listening him solo. The band usually never takes too much of his space, I love them. In the beginning I was worried about Joy but it was only the first performances. I've learnt to like Ida a lot, I hope we will see her on stage with him again.

Yes but honestly, he doesn't let anyone outshine him. Believe it or not, but sometimes others are just better during certain songs. I also prefer listening to him solo but I feel like saying he lets others outshine him doesn't do those other people justice. Sometimes they are just better than him.

To be honest, if you look at technique, Mika is not the best singer in the world. He has a very unique voice and I personally love it, but I can understand why others would think differently. But fact of the matter is, there are many singers who have better technique (such as Ida) and will excel in a mid-tempo duet, whereas this is not Mika's strenght so he will bite the dust.

This is exactly what I was referring to actually. If you have to qualify by saying "under the circumstances" then it is really not great pretty much by definition.

If Mika was preoccupied with Ariana not messing up her lines then I guess we can blame it on her, but I wouldn't say it had anything to do with him holding back so he didn't outshine her.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to explain it better. When he is singing solo he is allowed to be a star. When he is singing together with someone he is not supposed to be the star, they are supposed to sing a duet, so he has to observe the other person and fit his performance to the situation. And they did it well and were cute together so I think it was great, under the circumstances. I'm sure everyone can understand my words even if it's not perfect English?

I'm sorry, I don't know how to explain it better. When he is singing solo he is allowed to be a star. When he is singing together with someone he is not supposed to be the star, they are supposed to sing a duet, so he has to observe the other person and fit his performance to the situation. And they did it well and were cute together so I think it was great, under the circumstances. I'm sure everyone can understand my words even if it's not perfect English?

A great duet would mean coming together to make something at least as good as they are as individuals. It doesn't mean holding back and giving half a performance.

Yes but honestly, he doesn't let anyone outshine him. Believe it or not, but sometimes others are just better during certain songs. I also prefer listening to him solo but I feel like saying he lets others outshine him doesn't do those other people justice. Sometimes they are just better than him.

To be honest, if you look at technique, Mika is not the best singer in the world. He has a very unique voice and I personally love it, but I can understand why others would think differently. But fact of the matter is, there are many singers who have better technique (such as Ida) and will excel in a mid-tempo duet, whereas this is not Mika's strenght so he will bite the dust.

This is exactly how I've always felt about his singing. I've also felt that he's kind of made up for it by being an absolutely incredible song writer. And I think we need more artists in the mainstream music industry like Mika. Artists who have unique voices and are able to write their own music.

I do... :teehee:

[YOUTUBE]qAtJ0wFv_1A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FvZkRgMzBvc[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by LeiRe

This is exactly how I've always felt about his singing. I've also felt that he's kind of made up for it by being an absolutely incredible song writer. And I think we need more artists in the mainstream music industry like Mika. Artists who have unique voices and are able to write their own music.

I get why people on here are slightly biased when it comes to Mika, and I love him a lot, but to be honest, he is not perfect. I feel like Ariana gets blamed in this case for...well...singing with him and because it wasn't as good as it possibly could be, it's all about the 'circumstances.'

It's not about the circumstances. A professional performer always has to deliver. As Mika said himself, 'You're only as good as your last performance.'

I think, though, if they had more time to rehearse, it could have been much better as it would have been more teamwork and less '2 singers singing the same song at the same time.'

I get why people on here are slightly biased when it comes to Mika, and I love him a lot, but to be honest, he is not perfect. I feel like Ariana gets blamed in this case for...well...singing with him and because it wasn't as good as it possibly could be, it's all about the 'circumstances.'

It's not about the circumstances. A professional performer always has to deliver. As Mika said himself, 'You're only as good as your last performance.'

I think, though, if they had more time to rehearse, it could have been much better as it would have been more teamwork and less '2 singers singing the same song at the same time.'

I agree with you.

I personnally think they did well and I love Ariana.

Ingie I just fell in love with your siggie :wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

I think Mika and Adriana were really cute together :wub2: Mika's voice was not heard as much as hers , but first times are known for not being perfect , right :naughty::das: I agree that I prefer when Mika sings on his own because he's perfect when he does :thumb_yello: but that duet had something sweet :wub2:

Their voices don't really go well together. She should probably be duetting like Mariah did with Whitney back in the day. Someone who's as good as her and has similar singing techniques. I think she outshined Mika in this performance because she's simply too talented at singing than he is. Didn't get the impression that he was letting her outshine him either, like some others have mentioned.

Edited by LaraMay
him not her lol

Which brings me back to my first question. If performing on a US TV show is not the time for rehearsing until it's right and giving the best performance, then when is the time?

We do... And I think we are slowly getting some. People who built on their strength even if they're not perfect. (At least I feel we have in my area)

Which brings me back to my first question. If performing on a US TV show is not the time for rehearsing until it's right and giving the best performance, then when is the time?

I feel like it was all too rushed. He should have gone there a few days earlier to rehearse the f*ck out of that song. YOU ONLY GOT ONE SHOT, DO NOT MISS YOUR CHANCE TO BLOW as Eminem put it:mf_rosetinted:.

I agree with you, I prefer to concentrate on his voice alone :wub2:

You put into words how I felt :huglove: