Hi I'm Kat, new to Mika's music.

kat75

Hi there,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, I'm Kat from Alberta, Canada.

I'm pretty new to Mika's music, he's not really well known here...actually most places I went to for his CD had never heard of him, but I'm glad I've been introduced to this very unique artist's music.

So here's my story:

A few months back I was window shopping at a local mall and overheard "Rain" from one of the stores. The sound was strange enough to intrigue me and I ended up just standing there in the middle of the walk way listening to the whole track. When it was over I wanted more.

I went inside and asked what they were listening to but they didn't know they just said it was a music mix from their store chain headquarters. I had the Rain part stuck in my head so I drove over to the nearest HMV, went to the till and said to the guy "I've got this stuck in my head and I want to know who sings it" and I started singing the Rain part (it really just sounded like I was wailing), I kept at it for a bit too long I think as the poor guy was clearly uncomfortable and said he didn't know and couldn't help. I politely asked him to get someone who could help because if I didn't find out who this was then I'd be stuck with the Rain part in my head forever and eventually would go insane and my sanity rested in his hands. He rolled his eyes and went to get someone else.

He found the manager who also listened to my repeated wailing aka 'singing' of the bits I remembered. He said it sounded familiar but he wasn't sure so he went looking around the store to see if anything popped, he came back with Imagine Dragons and One Republic both of which I knew so he tried again, and again, and again. I kept up with the wailing here and there to keep him motivated to continue the search. Eventually persistence paid off and he came back with MIKA. He turned it on for me and VOILA!!!

I bought the only available CD, took it home, annoyed the heck out of my neighbours by listening to it non-stop for the next month. Since then I've raved about his music to friends and colleagues at work. Pretty soon after I got the first CD something about his sound made me look at my piano again...for the first time in a decade.

I sat down at it, cleared off all the clutter and played a few notes...it felt rough and foreign, so I just sat there for a long time that day, and the next day, and the next. A week later I signed up for piano lessons again and I've been plucking away for a bit now. I'm not very good...nah, I'm terrible at it...but it doesn't feel foreign anymore, it feels softer to the touch and the ear somehow. I'm grateful.

Yesterday I heard "Tah Dah" for the first time and it was intoxicating. His music utterly maddens my senses ARGH!!!

Well that's it, that's how I ended up here and found myself spending rent and food money to book a flight and accommodations for the Montreal gig in February. This will truly be a once in a lifetime musical adventure for me and I'm so happy I did it. I can only imagine what his music will sound like live, I'm so curious.

I hope to meet some of you Mika fans there too :) I do wish he'd come out to Alberta someday people just don't know him here well at all...such a shame.

Anyhow, in other news we had our first snowfall yesterday YAY! I'm in my happy place when there's snow falling. I hope there's lots of snow in Montreal in February :)

Thank you to whoever started this fan club and to all those who have continued to ensure it's survival long enough for me and others like me to discover Mika's music.

Signing off,

Kat.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super cool intro there, Kat! Welcome to the group!

I'm doing everything I can to get to Montreal from eastern Washington state - have my tickets, almost enough to get my passport now, then comes the big one - airfare! I am bound and determined!

I've yet to see him live myself, and I've been a fan for years now... was too broke to go to Seattle or Portland to see him, but I sure would have loved to!

I've read about you guys in Alberta getting snow already - eeeks! Don't wish for snow in Montreal, I'll likely slip and come home in a cast of some kind! ;)

Anyhoo, again, welcome!

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to Mika's music, he's not really well known here...actually most places I went to for his CD had never heard of him, but I'm glad I've been introduced to this very unique artist's music.

So here's my story:

A few months back I was window shopping at a local mall and overheard "Rain" from one of the stores. The sound was strange enough to intrigue me and I ended up just standing there in the middle of the walk way listening to the whole track. When it was over I wanted more.

I went inside and asked what they were listening to but they didn't know they just said it was a music mix from their store chain headquarters. I had the Rain part stuck in my head so I drove over to the nearest HMV, went to the till and said to the guy "I've got this stuck in my head and I want to know who sings it" and I started singing the Rain part (it really just sounded like I was wailing), I kept at it for a bit too long I think as the poor guy was clearly uncomfortable and said he didn't know and couldn't help. I politely asked him to get someone who could help because if I didn't find out who this was then I'd be stuck with the Rain part in my head forever and eventually would go insane and my sanity rested in his hands. He rolled his eyes and went to get someone else.

He found the manager who also listened to my repeated wailing aka 'singing' of the bits I remembered. He said it sounded familiar but he wasn't sure so he went looking around the store to see if anything popped, he came back with Imagine Dragons and One Republic both of which I knew so he tried again, and again, and again. I kept up with the wailing here and there to keep him motivated to continue the search. Eventually persistence paid off and he came back with MIKA. He turned it on for me and VOILA!!!

I bought the only available CD, took it home, annoyed the heck out of my neighbours by listening to it non-stop for the next month. Since then I've raved about his music to friends and colleagues at work. Pretty soon after I got the first CD something about his sound made me look at my piano again...for the first time in a decade.

I sat down at it, cleared off all the clutter and played a few notes...it felt rough and foreign, so I just sat there for a long time that day, and the next day, and the next. A week later I signed up for piano lessons again and I've been plucking away for a bit now. I'm not very good...nah, I'm terrible at it...but it doesn't feel foreign anymore, it feels softer to the touch and the ear somehow. I'm grateful.

Yesterday I heard "Tah Dah" for the first time and it was intoxicating. His music utterly maddens my senses ARGH!!!

Well that's it, that's how I ended up here and found myself spending rent and food money to book a flight and accommodations for the Montreal gig in February. This will truly be a once in a lifetime musical adventure for me and I'm so happy I did it. I can only imagine what his music will sound like live, I'm so curious.

I hope to meet some of you Mika fans there too :) I do wish he'd come out to Alberta someday people just don't know him here well at all...such a shame.

Anyhow, in other news we had our first snowfall yesterday YAY! I'm in my happy place when there's snow falling. I hope there's lots of snow in Montreal in February :)

Thank you to whoever started this fan club and to all those who have continued to ensure it's survival long enough for me and others like me to discover Mika's music.

Signing off,

Kat.

I love your intro Kat :wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

Have a wonderful time in MFC :mikalove: and enjoy your first Mika gig in February :swoon:

Welcome to the MFC and have a lot of fun here. Your Intro made me laugh, I can imagine how you were singing Rain in that shop and you were lucky enough they just had The Boy Who Knew Too Much there. Do you already have the other albums? You can discover so much about Mika here.......

I politely asked him to get someone who could help because if I didn't find out who this was then I'd be stuck with the Rain part in my head forever and eventually would go insane and my sanity rested in his hands. He rolled his eyes and went to get someone else.

Hello & welcome!

Thanks for sharing your story of how you came to discover Mika. I love hearing stories of people randomly hearing one of his songs on a show or at a story or smth. :mikalove:

The first Mika song I heard was Rain too! The "when it rain and rain and rain and rains" part got stuck in my head and prompted me to seek him out, so I totally know how you feel.

Thank you all for a very warm welcome! I've looked at some youtube videos of Mika's music and wow there's enough material online to keep a person entertained for a long time.

There are a great many songs that I have never heard before so the last couple of weeks have been a real treat for me discovering all kinds of new sounds from him.

Anyhow, it'll be really nice to meet many of you in Montreal, and again thank you for the welcome.

All the best,

Kat.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Kath, Alie, Meeks, Silver, and all that read my mika intro and said hi :) appreciate it :)

I guess I'm not so new anymore lol it's been a few months now...I still feel like a baby in Mika knowledge terms but I'm growing fast LOL.

Of course it would appear that I will now have to learn French, and Italian to get any of the comments he makes when I see him live...aaaa!!! February is coming up fast and I'm gonna see him live!!! super stoked about that :) still so curious if his voice is as brilliant live as it is on his CDs...I mean the studios do all kinds of things to the vocal so I guess I'll find out in Montreal :)

ok well thanks again, glad you enjoyed my Mika introduction.

Kat.

Thanks Kath, Alie, Meeks, Silver, and all that read my mika intro and said hi :) appreciate it :)

I guess I'm not so new anymore lol it's been a few months now...I still feel like a baby in Mika knowledge terms but I'm growing fast LOL.

Of course it would appear that I will now have to learn French, and Italian to get any of the comments he makes when I see him live...aaaa!!! February is coming up fast and I'm gonna see him live!!! super stoked about that :) still so curious if his voice is as brilliant live as it is on his CDs...I mean the studios do all kinds of things to the vocal so I guess I'll find out in Montreal :)

ok well thanks again, glad you enjoyed my Mika introduction.

Kat.

his voice is that good and sometimes even better live, believe me :wink2:

It's difficult (probably impossible) to describe how good Mika's voice is live. But I DO remember having exactly the same thoughts as you before I saw him for the first time, almost eight years ago. His recorded voice is so good, it's hard to imagine that it really CAN be so good live isn't it. But it really is. And as Sabine says.... Sometimes even better. I know you have watched many videos of him live, but it isn't the same thing is it. And I also know that what enhances the live experience for a lot of us is the proximity and the interaction which is possible with Mika. Which is what has lead to lots of us spending many many hours on sometimes freezing pavements just to secure a front row position. Because it's more than worth it. Montreal will be different. But I have seen Mika in many different venues and they all have their own merits. As long as he is fit and well his voice will be amazing. I think the fact that he will be singing with a symphony orchestra will obviously make it extra special. It should be a fantastic introduction to his live performances for you. :mikalove:

Hi there,

So here's my story:

Signing off,

Kat.

What a story!!!!! i love it and you did it all for Rain?!! I love you girl!!! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2::wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wink2: :wink2: