Lollipop Features in "Pitch Perfect 2"

dcdeb

I was already excited about this movie and this just makes it even more exciting! Heheh

I really dig it and bought it on iTunes already! :)

It's a nice change I've been wanting in lollipop for a while, it doesnt even matter that it wasn't Mika that gave it to me.

Edited by BangBangLou

Mika mentioned at the Webster Hall show last week that his song Lollipop would be featured in the new movie Pitch Perfect 2.

The soundtrack dropped today and here it is!

[media]http://youtu.be/SXzOgMIKEbE[/media]

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

I had hoped for one of the newer songs, but this version of Lollipop is fantastic. This is why I always wanted his songs on Glee, because it gets them out to a wider audience. This could really help Mika. It's what I'd hoped for with Kick Ass. I was so disappointed with that, because no one would have heard it at the bum-end of the credits, but this could become a hit. It doesn't matter that Mika isn't singing it because (don't hate me for saying this) Lollipop sounds even better as an ensemble piece with the harmonies. The gang have wonderful voices. This could put Mika on the map as a songwriter, and it's only a short step then, to people discovering his wonderful voice.

I'm really having fun today!!

• Like 1

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

I had hoped for one of the newer songs, but this version of Lollipop is fantastic. This is why I always wanted his songs on Glee, because it gets them out to a wider audience. This could really help Mika. It's what I'd hoped for with Kick Ass. I was so disappointed with that, because no one would have heard it at the bum-end of the credits, but this could become a hit. It doesn't matter that Mika isn't singing it because (don't hate me for saying this) Lollipop sounds even better as an ensemble piece with the harmonies. The gang have wonderful voices. This could put Mika on the map as a songwriter, and it's only a short step then, to people discovering his wonderful voice.

I'm really having fun today!!

YES! It's a great opportunity for him :)

It's funny, just a few days ago i read an article in a german business mag, about how to earn money in today's music industry. Basically it said that every musician who isn't either as big as madonna or an unsigned artist who has a small loyal fanbase and owns all the rights to their songs and does everything themselves, you can't earn a lot of money anymore. Unless you find other sources of income, and they mentioned especially the movies. They said it's a hard fight, as every musician wants their songs in a (successful) movie, so the movie bosses can make the rules and it's hard for musicians to get a good deal.

so i find it especially great to hear that mika managed to place one of his songs in a big hollywood movie - especially one that is about music!

I think he'll probably get royalties every time his song is played... which would be in many cinemas all around the world, multiple times a day, for several weeks or months. I'm not sure whether this will get him known (usually ppl don't care about who wrote a song, just who sings it...), but it surely is a success for him! :thumb_yello:

• Like 3

I

It's funny, just a few days ago i read an article in a german business mag, about how to earn money in today's music industry. Basically it said that every musician who isn't either as big as madonna or an unsigned artist who has a small loyal fanbase and owns all the rights to their songs and does everything themselves, you can't earn a lot of money anymore. Unless you find other sources of income, and they mentioned especially the movies. They said it's a hard fight, as every musician wants their songs in a (successful) movie, so the movie bosses can make the rules and it's hard for musicians to get a good deal.

so i find it especially great to hear that mika managed to place one of his songs in a big hollywood movie - especially one that is about music!

I think he'll probably get royalties every time his song is played... which would be in many cinemas all around the world, multiple times a day, for several weeks or months. I'm not sure whether this will get him known (usually ppl don't care about who wrote a song, just who sings it...), but it surely is a success for him! :thumb_yello:

I like that the song is actually PART of the movie, rather than just serving as background, or playing over the credits. I think that will get a little more attention, but I do wish it had been one of the newer songs.

Anyhow, I recalled that he said something about another song being placed in an upcoming Melissa McCarthy movie -- just saw a commercial for the film, which jogged my memory. So I looked it up, and it looks like it's Boum Boum Boum being used. The movie is called "SPY" and it's due out here in the US on June 5.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/soundtrack/spy/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00W7CAJ5U/sportgallery-20

B00W7CAJ5U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Like 2

I

I like that the song is actually PART of the movie, rather than just serving as background, or playing over the credits. I think that will get a little more attention, but I do wish it had been one of the newer songs.

Anyhow, I recalled that he said something about another song being placed in an upcoming Melissa McCarthy movie -- just saw a commercial for the film, which jogged my memory. So I looked it up, and it looks like it's Boum Boum Boum being used. The movie is called "SPY" and it's due out here in the US on June 5.

Thank you Deb - very interesting!! -:) I love the idea that MIKA's music is being used in movies! -:) A lot of new people will get to know his music, and surely search for more - and the songwriter can cash money for his work, which is great! -:) But even more exciting is it, imo, that MIKA is now in front of the camera, by filming for Zoolander 2 in Rome! -:) I hope, and think, that we'll see MIKA's name in the film industry, a lot more in the future...-:)

Love,love

me

Ooooooh, exciting! I think my hubby might have to take me along to see it. Actually, he was just singing along to it, so I think I'm starting to get him interested in Mika's music :teehee:

I was already excited about this movie and this just makes it even more exciting! Heheh

I really dig it and bought it on iTunes already! :)
It's a nice change I've been wanting in lollipop for a while, it doesnt even matter that it wasn't Mika that gave it to me.

I agree, it really does refresh it a bit. 

I

Doriand wrote about BBB being in an US Comedy on FB :wink2:

• Like 1

Pitch Perfect is one of my favourite movies in recent years. It's like a modern day version of Grease. Can't wait to see this. I expect people will search YouTube for Lollipop and stumble across Mika in the process. He should put out a new video with live footage like he did when Relax was re-released so they don't just find a cartoon.

• Like 1

Pitch Perfect is one of my favourite movies in recent years. It's like a modern day version of Grease. Can't wait to see this. I expect people will search YouTube for Lollipop and stumble across Mika in the process. He should put out a new video with live footage like he did when Relax was re-released so they don't just find a cartoon.

I hope they find his performances. He has such great ones and it would make people fall for Mika the performer, as well as Mika the songwriter. He could do a new video as well. 

Doriand wrote about BBB being in an US Comedy on FB :wink2:

Well, that would be this one, then. :thumb_yello:

That would be great -- I think the Lollipop video has always been my least favorite.

He's not only the writer of the song, he's also the singer of the original version. You're right that people don't care about who's the writer of the song, but with these kind of films they usually search for the original version. I think they will find him, especially when the comments on the Youtube video talk about Mika!

• Like 1

Love it that both Lollipop and Boum Boum Boum are used in this scale (quite big) movies! Will bring him nice visibility  :thumb_yello: Especially Lollipop if it's not only background (not sure how it is, I'm not familiar with the concept). Can't wait to see these both  :)

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 1

He's not only the writer of the song, he's also the singer of the original version. You're right that people don't care about who's the writer of the song, but with these kind of films they usually search for the original version. I think they will find him, especially when the comments on the Youtube video talk about Mika!

even better if that's the case. i'm not too familiar with "these kind of films" - if i hear a song in a movie that i like the way it's performed in that movie, usually i don't look for the original version but i want exactly THIS version of the song. for example, "once upon a december" from the movie anastasia. it took me ages to find exactly the version of the movie, as opposed to the version on the soundtrack, which was performed by a different singer (or at least in a different way, anyway, i didn't like this version as much as the one from the movie). but ofc i'll be happy if this really gets mika known to a wider audience. :thumb_yello:

even better if that's the case. i'm not too familiar with "these kind of films" - if i hear a song in a movie that i like the way it's performed in that movie, usually i don't look for the original version but i want exactly THIS version of the song. for example, "once upon a december" from the movie anastasia. it took me ages to find exactly the version of the movie, as opposed to the version on the soundtrack, which was performed by a different singer (or at least in a different way, anyway, i didn't like this version as much as the one from the movie). but ofc i'll be happy if this really gets mika known to a wider audience. :thumb_yello:

I remember Don't Stop Believing getting known again from being on Glee. Not only the Glee version, but people looked up the original. I think it was by The Journey, but my memory isn't what it was. With Mika, there are many performances of Lollipop on YT. If they look any up, they will fall in-love with Mika and hopefully, look at his other stuff as well. I hope so anyway.

I loved the original Pitch Perfect.  I was supposed to go see the second one tonight with some friends but we've had to postpone until Monday night.  So, hubby picked up the soundtrack for me while he was out and about today.  I didn't know Lollipop was on it.  He put it on when he got home.  I was trying to cook dinner, my kids were in the kitchen with me trying to put away some dishes.  Lollipop came on and I knew it from about the third bar but didn't believe it until they started singing properly.  My son reckons he's never heard me squeal so high or so loud before.  I was beside myself with how excited I was.  It sounds amazing.  I'll need to hear it over again to pick up the lyric changes because I was squeeing too hard to pay strict attention (lol).  I'm so pleased about this.  Yeah, it's an older song, but with the new album coming out in the near future, this will help to have his name resonating around people's brains.

• Like 3

The soundtrack is heading for #1 album in the US this week. This should be a nice little earner for Mika. There were 8.7 million downloads of songs on the last album.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6568292/pitch-perfect-2-soundtrack-number-1-billboard-200

Edited by Christine
  • Like 4

I loved the original Pitch Perfect.  I was supposed to go see the second one tonight with some friends but we've had to postpone until Monday night.  So, hubby picked up the soundtrack for me while he was out and about today.  I didn't know Lollipop was on it.  He put it on when he got home.  I was trying to cook dinner, my kids were in the kitchen with me trying to put away some dishes.  Lollipop came on and I knew it from about the third bar but didn't believe it until they started singing properly.  My son reckons he's never heard me squeal so high or so loud before.  I was beside myself with how excited I was.  It sounds amazing.  I'll need to hear it over again to pick up the lyric changes because I was squeeing too hard to pay strict attention (lol).  I'm so pleased about this.  Yeah, it's an older song, but with the new album coming out in the near future, this will help to have his name resonating around people's brains.

This made me laugh. I'd have been exactly the same. Yes, anything that draws attention to Mika is great, especially now with the album coming out soon.

• Like 2

I remember Don't Stop Believing getting known again from being on Glee. Not only the Glee version, but people looked up the original. I think it was by The Journey, but my memory isn't what it was. With Mika, there are many performances of Lollipop on YT. If they look any up, they will fall in-love with Mika and hopefully, look at his other stuff as well. I hope so anyway.

The band is Journey. Just Journey, no "The" on it. Just wanted you to know.