Who's Gonna Love Me Now? - Song and Lyrics Discussion

dcdeb

Huh, all of Mika's words are making this far more confusing 😂. I think he said at the start of his performance for Indeed that he had to write a song from someone else's perspective for the movie, right? It would make sense to me that he went back to the time when he was an adolescent to relate to the boy in the movie (considering they played his song during the scene with the boy i guess it was his perspective, though surely they cut a lot in the editing cause it was only a few seconds!). So that's how i see the music video too, as his younger self who was still trying to find his place in the world, tried to break through in the music industry despite many setbacks and people rejecting him... it could have made him ask himself "who's gonna love me now?"

And maybe it's also him looking back to his younger self and worrying now that he's older that he's "out of fashion", I can imagine that maybe after the pandemic he had doubts about if his comeback would be well received! Though I'm sure with all the love he received at all the festivals and after Eurovision those worries have vanished 😁

In any case I think it's a very sweet video, it warms my heart that he shares such intimate footage with us 🥺. For me it matches perfectly with the lyrics, I love the calm atmosphere and the contrast between work mode Mika and playful Mika in the videos

• Like 4

16 hours ago, silver said:

I can't see the point of releasing a video of unrelated images of Mika :dunno: It doesn't add anything to the song - in fact if anything, the shots of Mika goofing around actually detract from the words.

If they wanted something visual, why not just film him singing?

I suppose you would find it more fitting to show things which relate more to the theme of the movie. Like oh, i don't know, images of trans women, right? 😉

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

He mentioned it in his intro to the song in Palais Ideal. Well, it's in French so maybe you didn't understand it.

Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen it, but that's what I meant, that he might have talked about it at that French gig where he sang it. Do you think we can get a transcript of the bit he says about the song? From what I get, he first says the same things he said in London, about the camel movie and that he got a call to make that song, but then he talks in detail about what it's about and I understand the general idea but would love to know all the details he says. Maybe you or someone else who speaks French can help?

So when he says "I wish!", does he mean he wishes it was him?

15 minutes ago, Jaela said:

Huh, all of Mika's words are making this far more confusing 😂

That's his speciality. :lmfao:

16 minutes ago, Jaela said:

I think he said at the start of his performance for Indeed that he had to write a song from someone else's perspective for the movie, right?

From what I remember, it was the interviewer who said that, but Mika didn't correct him. So yeah, as always we can interpret it one way or another. :teehee: With what he says at the gig tho, it does sound like it's someone else's perspective. I just wonder, why an older man, if the movie scene is about a young boy? As you say, it's confusing.

Thanks @crazyaboutmika for the summary of what he said, I only saw this after posting, because it was on the next page, but I'd still love to get a transcript of that bit about the song that he didn't mention in London, so I can understand the details. :puppy_eyes:

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, mellody said:

Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen it, but that's what I meant, that he might have talked about it at that French gig where he sang it. Do you think we can get a transcript of the bit he says about the song? From what I get, he first says the same things he said in London, about the camel movie and that he got a call to make that song, but then he talks in detail about what it's about and I understand the general idea but would love to know all the details he says. Maybe you or someone else who speaks French can help?

So when he says "I wish!", does he mean he wishes it was him?

English translation of Mika's speech about "Who's Gonna Love Me Now".

after a talk about a movie with a camel:

At the same time I was contacted by another actor - to be true it was just a few weeks ago. 

I don't know if you have seen a american series "Pause". It was a total flop in France.

But generally it's the best series in another parts of the world. Yes, it's on Netflix.

It's called "Pause" It's about a ballroom. In New York in years 80', where people wear beautiful clothes and go on a catwalk.

Madonna took a lot during her career from these ballrooms in New York.

So the actor from this series asked me for a song about love.

I have never sang it in front of the audience except once in a program on YouTube two weeks ago in New York.

So I said to myself why not to try it tonight. (ovations)

He said he wanted a little song to show ... so it's about a man who is flomboyant, he has a fantastic life and he finds lovers very easily.

(someone is screaming "MIKA" or maybe "like Mika"  from the audience - in a meaning that it's like Mika)

Wait a minute... yeah I wish, baby.

And he is looking at himself in a mirror and it's not the same person any more.

Years passed by. So he sais to himself: well, I had a great life but who is gonna love me now.

So I though - ah, it's something I love. The most romantic song in the world but so sad that you want to kill yourself.

So here is the result. It's a small song which asks a simple question: who's gonna love me now.

(ME - someone is screaming from the audience)

EDIT: yes, the title of the series is POSE. I wrote it in a frenchy way PAUSE :wink2:

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, fallthruthestars said:

I think he’s talking about Pose! Billy Porter was amazing in it. 

Yes, it's definitely "Pose" not "Pause." I guess I'm not surprised to hear the show was a flop in France - it's very New York-centric, I think. As someone who lived through that era, I found it very true to life, though.

Anyhow, it's interesting to hear what he says the song is about, because if you've watched the film, that's not how the character is at all. I mean, it doesn't take away anything from the song at all -- I think it's beautiful and so moving. Thanks for the translation, Anna.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Yes, it's definitely "Pose" not "Pause." I guess I'm not surprised to hear the show was a flop in France - it's very New York-centric, I think. As someone who lived through that era, I found it very true to life, though.

Anyhow, it's interesting to hear what he says the song is about, because if you've watched the film, that's not how the character is at all. I mean, it doesn't take away anything from the song at all -- I think it's beautiful and so moving. Thanks for the translation, Anna.

Songs used in movies don't necessary are commenting what is going on on the screen. 

Looks like Billy Porter asked for a sad song about this guy who "used to have a pair of wings but he sold them along the way" .

Other thing is how the director will use the song in the final version of the movie.

It's quite possible that the song was written for a particular scene that was cut from the final version of the film, so they just used a small part of the song elsewhere.

• Like 2

I'm trying to catch up with everything here since I didn't had a lot of time lately.

I really love the song. And I watched the video above about Mika explaining the project.

Pose is an amazing TV show but as Mika said it itself, I'm not surprised it was a flop in France 😉 one of the best TV show I've watched.

When it was announced that Mika wrote a song for a Billy Porter's movie I was really excited (knowing Billy from Pose). It's not a disappointment for the song because I like it. The message and the question in the lyrics are important.

Regarding the movie, it's quite different. Maybe a bit too ''american'' here in french. And definitely not something that will work in France 

But anayway I'm really glad about the song and the story behind it. Especially because hey- Billy called Mika ! 😏

13 hours ago, Florine said:

Regarding the movie, it's quite different. Maybe a bit too ''american'' here in french. And definitely not something that will work in France 

Did you watch it on Amazon prime or did you manage to find it somewhere else ?

11 minutes ago, carafon said:

I know , but I don't want to subscribe to Amazon prime 

Here you are

https://dotcima.pw/watch-movie/anythings-possible/

DIRECT MP4

https://s206.vidboo.org/6jmnwlrqviazsalriulqhjxyioz36ug5vucoz7w7qtficnfvtv6xaohftbyq/v.mp4

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

DNA

( Australia's LGBTQIA+ magazine )

Billy Porter On Allyship, Acting, And His New Trans Teen Romance Film, Anything’s Possible

Billy Porter talks about directing, transphobia and the last time he was patronised!

DNA: This is a typical teen romance between a boy and a girl – until we realise the girl was once a boy. How does that recalibrate what would otherwise be a predictable coming-of-age story?

Billy Porter: Oh, yeah! It’s the John Hughes coming-of-age romantic comedy for the new generation. It’s on purpose. And I’m so gobsmacked that we’re here! It’s necessary. Look at what we get to do as artists! I really need to talk about the positive; we lean so much into the negative. The reason for this extreme pushback, this movie, is because the progressive change has already happened. And we’re not going back. That’s what this movie represents.

Billy, you’re many impressive things, but you’re not trans. What gave you the confidence to enable these trans voices?

You’re right. But I just spent five years with trans women on Pose where I got the education I needed to put me in the position to be the ally who brings these stories to life. I know exactly how to do it because I’ve been listening and I’ve been learning. I’m the ally who understands how to shut up and listen. I shut up and listened for five years with those girls on Pose. And I did the very same thing on the set of this movie.

The writer, Ximena García Lecuona, takes trans issues and turns them on their head. There are beautiful lines, like: “You’re technically not brave if you’re just being who you are.” And: “Cis people don’t talk about gender all the time. They just are. So why do I have to talk about gender all the time?” And: “I’m afraid people won’t date me because I’m trans, or they only wanna date me…

“…because I’m trans.”

Those lines get inside a person’s head and heart real quick. The script must have been a joy to work with.

The actual directing and realising of this story was one of the most blissful times of my life as an artist.

There’s a short sharp line which goes to something not often appreciated when it comes to trans:

“I don’t need you to save me, okay?”

That addresses all the hidden layers of wounding often experienced by all us queers, especially trans.

It’s the problem of patronising and condescension, however well-meaning.

Yes! That’s where I’m talking about allies. That’s what Kelsa, the trans girl in the movie, is saying in that moment. It’s difficult. There’s nuance. And we’re in the process of figuring out what we need in real time. Sometimes we don’t even know what we need. So give me a second. What I do know I don’t need is for you to try to save me in some way. But I know you’re trying to help. So all these things can exist, and they’re not mutually exclusive.

When was the last time you were patronized, and how did you deal with it with dignity?

That’s a good question. It’s been a long time since anyone dared patronise me! [laughs] It happened a lot when I was a young actor and never considered for roles where the description didn’t begin with “flamboyantly”. I’d go audition and the feedback would be: “No, he’s not right, he’s too flamboyant.” And they’d give the role to a straight person. That was very patronising. That happened to me for decades.

I love the scene where the boy’s parents are so freaked out he might be trans and so relieved when they discover he’s gay.

They say: “Oh, thank God! He’s gay! He’s only gay!”

Right! That’s what’s so wonderful about this script, because it’s coming from such a young writer who’s in it; all the issues being talked about are in the Zeitgeist right now, and it’s from the perspective of the kids who are far beyond where the adults are. They’re far beyond where we are. We need to shut up and listen to them.

Anything’s Possible, directed by Billy Porter and starring Eva Reign and Abubakr Ali, and featuring Billy Porter, Michaela Jaé Rodriguez (Pose) and Mika on the soundtrack, is streaming on Prime Video.

page 21

2022.OCT_DNA-page_21.thumb.jpg.da1e54900af580126eb3cb6541ed3157.jpg

• Like 1