Who's Gonna Love Me Now? - Song and Lyrics Discussion

dcdeb

On 7/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

when you try to please everyone you only end up hurting the ones you love

love this quote. I think I heard it somewhere before, anyway it's so true.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:49 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Didn't Mika say in London that Wayne helped him with the lyrics? Or am I remembering wrong? 🤔

In what he said before the song I just hear him say that he wrote the song with Wayne and that he's there:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r259115/monthly_2022_07/20220703_221557.mp4.0807f5a3a1540d94008274e5db5b0d61.mp4 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mellody said:

In what he said before the song I just hear him say that he wrote the song with Wayne and that he's there:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r259115/monthly_2022_07/20220703_221557.mp4.0807f5a3a1540d94008274e5db5b0d61.mp4 

Thanks for sharing! 

I just checked and Wayne is credited as a co-writer for WGLMN, that's not to say he wrote all the lyrics though, if any, he could have just been with Mika at the time of creating the song. Just coming up with one line would still be enough for him to gain credit for it though.

• Like 1

Beautiful song, I've been waiting for the studio recording to be out. Mika's voice is soothing and hunting.  I would have preferred Mika to release this song as a single with a matching artwork, separate from the movie, and I would be happy if it will be included in the next album or something like this, maybe as a bonus track. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MatanBenYosef224 said:

Beautiful song, I've been waiting for the studio recording to be out. Mika's voice is soothing and hunting.  I would have preferred Mika to release this song as a single with a matching artwork, separate from the movie, and I would be happy if it will be included in the next album or something like this, maybe as a bonus track. 

Oh I agree with this 100%! Also how you describe his voice in this song.. it’s spot on!!

• Like 1

I can't see the point of releasing a video of unrelated images of Mika :dunno: It doesn't add anything to the song - in fact if anything, the shots of Mika goofing around actually detract from the words.

If they wanted something visual, why not just film him singing?

5 minutes ago, silver said:

I can't see the point of releasing a video of unrelated images of Mika :dunno: It doesn't add anything to the song - in fact if anything, the shots of Mika goofing around actually detract from the words.

I Agree, I just watched this. all the footage is cute and nice but what does it have to do with the song? 

9 minutes ago, MatanBenYosef224 said:

I Agree, I just watched this. all the footage is cute and nice but what does it have to do with the song? 

I'd like to see it released as a single too

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

YouTube

#MIKA #WhosGonnaLoveMeNow #AnythingsPossible

MIKA - Who's Gonna Love Me Now (Official Visualizer)

Oh my heart :swoon:I adore this video :fangurl: As sweet as the song :mikalove:It looks at the same time like a video a fan would make  and it's so emotional and personal :wub2:  Thank you for sharing Eriko :hug: It's one my fav already, although I have only seen it once, it really makes my heart smile with joy :wub2:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

YouTube

#MIKA #WhosGonnaLoveMeNow #AnythingsPossible

MIKA - Who's Gonna Love Me Now (Official Visualizer)

I love this so much. :wub2: Totally unexpected to see this old footage of him - or footage of him at all in a video for this song, I'd have thought they might put some movie scenes in it or something. But this footage is so natural and vulnerable, like the song. Maybe the song even does talk about his life at the time this was filmed - as I said before, he probably can relate to some of those lyrics. There were times when he didn't feel loved and had somewhat of a self-destructive behaviour. And generally he's a workaholic and it's indeed hard to be in a relationship with someone who's married to his work. I also see hints to that in the video, of him at work, but also the basketball scene where he keeps trying and trying again until he finally gets it. I think that's also him in his work, he can't let go but keeps trying if he wants to achieve something. And then is super happy if it works. Anyway the video shows more of his leisure time than of his work, like climbing a tree or jumping in the water, so maybe I'm wrong about the reference to the song. But, one way or the other, if I don't think but just feel, this footage just feels right for the song. I wish they had put credits on who cut it, I wonder if it was Andy?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MatanBenYosef224 said:

The lyrics express a yearning for a love to replace what the speaker has lost. Nostalgia for happy past times seems to be present in the video as well ( the black and white images that show a carefree Mika). However the video also focuses on songwriting: you see Mika writing on a notebook at the beginning and working at a mixer at the end ( he also composes at the piano somewhere in the middle). Is Mika trying to say something about himself as an artist? It does give that impression.

I love the combination song + video. I find it touching.

• Like 3

Really love the video, it’s so nice to see carefree, younger Mika. To me a couple of elements caught my eye, just like it did with the others: 

- Carefree and happy, being viewed from the perspective of the lover;

- Songwriting in a notebook, composing behind the piano and putting it together at the mixer;

- He is walking close to a woman seen from the back, I think this is his sister Paloma?

I have a feeling this video shows the happy time before he wrote TOOL. The months before he started writing the album I was told he had broken up with his partner and his sister had her accident. It must’ve been an incredibly dark and lonely time in his life, both love life and family life destabilized.

He has said many times in interviews he writes music when he doesn’t understand or cannot put his feelings into words. Being a private person, but now ready to show both in song and in imaging where the song comes from (or at least that’s how I would like to interpret it), is very moving in many ways.

• Like 4

And also overcoming “obstacles”:

- the basketball finally hitting the net after many attempts;

- climbing the tree to the top;

- coming out of the water (Underwater perhaps?), as a winner with hand held up high;

- being able to wakeboard (this is NOT easy!!! It comes with a LOT of falling face down in the water :lol3:)

It really emphasizes moments of euphoria. Which in turn is then even more heartbreaking to watch for the viewer when hearing the lyrics. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, silver said:

Maybe these are videos of a time he was asking himself "who's gonna love me now" ?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I have a feeling this video shows the happy time before he wrote TOOL. The months before he started writing the album I was told he had broken up with his partner and his sister had her accident.

I rather think that it was earlier .

When he was not already at ease with his life  and probably wondering if his family and friends would still love him if he was going to be his true self

Edited by carafon
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, mellody said:

I wish they had put credits on who cut it, I wonder if it was Andy?

Yes, I even wanted to comment about it under the video. But I decided to check this thread first. Maybe I missed something? :wink2:

It must be Andy's work :yes:

Anyway I love the video. I don't think it's distracting or doesn't match with the song. Most of the video clips nowadays show an image which - imo - don't stick together with the lyrics.

Mika said it's a song reflecting feelings of an older man who is loosing his popularity and now younger guys are more appreciated.

Mika for a long time had problem with his age and with getting older. I think he accepted it now. Now he feels grown up - especially after his mum's death. (well for me he is still young - hello, 39 it's not even a half of your life!!!!!)

So we see "an older man" watching his videos when he was young and he is thinking about the past.

Of cours I don't mean that at that time he was happy all the time - we know his story.

I agree as well with what  @holdingyourdrink said.

Like always we can have many interpretations.

But I love these old films. I have never seen them before. So nice Mika showed us a little bit of this private life.

Each of us can take old photos and videos and watch our own path of life, our faces changing with time....

Young or older - it's still us. The same soul, the same eyes.... but maybe with a little different way of seeing things...

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Mika said it's a song reflecting feelings of an older man who is loosing his popularity and now younger guys are more appreciated.

He did? Totally missed it! Do you remember which interview?
I had a feeling it might be. The video is full of melancholy if you take both the images and the lyrics into account. And of course the obvious “what’s a boy to do, when he’s not shining new, newer ones on the scene”-lyric.

51 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Mika for a long time had problem with his age and with getting older. I think he accepted it now. Now he feels grown up - especially after his mum's death. (well for me he is still young - hello, 39 it's not even a half of your life!!!!!)

So we see "an older man" watching his videos when he was young and he is thinking about the past.

Yes, he is still young. I am not just saying this because he and I are the same age :lol3: but I guess at this age I would like to think you gain perspective… and if that is called growing up or accepting who you are, it all comes down to the same thing and it’s a somewhat painful, but also a very beautiful process.

What I find sweet is that he decides to share this. It’s a tiny snippet, but significant at the same time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

42 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I don't remember him saying that either - was it when he played the song in France maybe? The only interview I know about it is the indeed one - or is there another one?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I had a feeling it might be. The video is full of melancholy if you take both the images and the lyrics into account. And of course the obvious “what’s a boy to do, when he’s not shining new, newer ones on the scene”-lyric.

2 hours ago, mellody said:

I don't remember him saying that either - was it when he played the song in France maybe? The only interview I know about it is the indeed one - or is there another one?

He mentioned it in his intro to the song in Palais Ideal. Well, it's in French so maybe you didn't understand it.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

He mentioned it in his intro to the song in Palais Ideal. Well, it's in French so maybe you didn't understand it.

He mentions the serie "Pause" It's wierd because the song is for the movie "Anything is possible" 

He says it was a song in which he was asked to create a "minimalist" song for a man who got everything and many lovers in his life but who sees himself getting old in the mirror and wonders who's gonna love him now...

In "anything is possible" movie the song a about a trans person who is going through their transition or has just gone through it and also wonders who's gonna love them now...

And he also mentions the symphonic soundtrack of the movie about the :camel2: and a young boy in the desert. 

So it's a bit confusing as he mentions different things :wink2: but it is very interesting :thumb_yello:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1