Apocalypse Calypso - Song and lyrics discussions

Juless

Mika just annouced on his instagram that "Apocalypse Calypso" will release on Friday !! :excite: He said that he loves this song and "it's delicious".

We've already heard snippets of this song here and yesterday on the Que Ta Tête Fleurisse Toujours annoucement post!

For everyone to remember, here are the lyrics we already know for this song :

Tant que l'on s'enlace on existe,

On se rend immortel devant l'Apocalypse.

En faisant l'amour on résiste;

Regarde moi prend moi la main.

To quote him "Well, we've really started..." :thumb_yello:

Edit: Official lyrics video

Lyrics:

Tant que l’on s’enlace on existe
On se rend immortel devant l’apocalypse
En faisant l’amour on résiste
Regarde-moi, prends-moi la main

Ma bouche, ton dos, sensuels à mort
Nos cœurs accros
On s’embrase dans les flammes
Quoi qu’ils en pensent des conséquences
Tes fesses, cette danse
On s’embrase dans les flammes

Je serre ton corps si fort
Donne-moi la main

En dansant le calypso, apocalypse calypso
En dansant le calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique
Où est la calypso, apocalypse calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique

On brûle, la braise
Une bulle, on baise
Ta peau, ma peau le ciel à flot
Moi dans ton dos
On s’embrasse dans les flammes

Donne-moi la main

En dansant le calypso, apocalypse calypso
Où est la calypso, apocalypse calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique

English translation: :uk: (thanks to crazyaboutmika & Google)

As long as we embrace each other we exist
We make ourselves immortal in the face of the apocalypse
By making love we resist
Look at me, take my hand

My mouth, your back, sensual to death
Our addicted hearts
We burst into flames
Whatever they think of the consequences
Your butt, this dance

We burst into flames

I hold your body so tight
Give me your hand

By making love we resist
Look at me, take my hand

Dancing the calypso, calypso apocalypse
By dancing calypso, this apocalyptic calypso
Where is the calypso, apocalypse calypso, this apocalyptic calypso

We're burning, the embers
A bubble, we f*ck
Your skin, my skin
the sky afloat
Me in your back
We kiss in the flames

I hold your body so tight
Give me your hand

By making love we resist
Look at me, take my hand

Dancing calypso, calypso apocalypse
By dancing calypso, this apocalyptic calypso
Where is the calypso, apocalypse calypso, this apocalyptic calypso

Edited by Juless
for title consistency
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Juless said:

Tant que l'on s'enlace on existe,

On se rend immortel devant l'Apocalypse.

En faisant l'amour on résiste;

Regarde moi prend moi la main.

Thank you. The English translation to this is:

As long as we embrace each other we exist,
We make ourselves immortal in the face of the Apocalypse.
When making love we resist;
Look at me, take my hand.

I didn't think I'd say this about a song that refers to the Apocalypse, but it sounds very romantic. :wub2:

• Like 5

• mellody changed the title to Apocalypse Calypso - New single on Friday 20 October 2023
20 hours ago, mellody said:

I didn't think I'd say this about a song that refers to the Apocalypse, but it sounds very romantic. :wub2:

Yes!!! I feel like maybe it could be about a love surviving every ordeals, even the Apocalypse (at least for this part of the song)

We'll see in the next few hours! :D

• Like 5

Mika revelead a bit more in his interview on Tendance Ouest this afternoon (thanks to @Anna Ko Kolkowska for the record)

He said : "C'est une chanson d'amour... Qui brûle. Extrêmement sensuel, une pop qui fait rêver." 

"It's a love song... Which burn. Extremely sensual, a pop that makes you dream.

Then he compared it as a sensation when you're driving alone on a highway, with eyes closed:confused: It was a bit confused :lol3:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm in love and crying happy tears :wub2: :mikalove: :swoon::stretcher: t's a masterpiece :cloud: I was love struck at the first hearing :mika1: I feel alive and he makes my heart beat wild :cloud:Gotta be my fav for now :wub2: I get a Tomorrow and Good Wife feeling at the same time oh boy I'm flying so high :boing:  :bow: :rainbow: :pinkbow:   :chkn: :cheer:Not enough smileys on MFC to describe what this Calypso Apocalypse is doing to me :wootjump:

It's lIke love will win over everything feeling :snog: :group_hug::mf_boff: 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Juless said:

Mika revelead a bit more in his interview on Tendance Ouest this afternoon (thanks to @Anna Ko Kolkowska for the record)

He said : "C'est une chanson d'amour... Qui brûle. Extrêmement sensuel, une pop qui fait rêver." 

Then he compared it as a sensation when you're driving alone on a highway, with eyes closed:confused: It was a bit confused :lol3:

It is exactly how it makes me feel :wootjump:

• Like 4

Has anyone written down the lyrics yet? French fans, we'll really need your help a LOT with this album, lol! 😅 At least for now... it looks like there'll be lyrics in the booklet or at least on the vinyl sleeve - but if they're as accurate as the ones in the MNIMH booklet... as I said, we'll need your help a LOT! :lol3:

From the bits I understand is that it's about, um, chicken. :chkn: (for the newbies, this is a synonym for s*x, that we've started using in the early days for some complex reasons).

4 hours ago, Juless said:

driving alone on a highway, with eyes closed?! wtf. That's certainly NOT something that gives me any positive thoughts or feelings. 🙈 

Listening to the song, I can't hear much of "burning" or a thrilling experience, which Mika probably refers to with the highway thing. Maybe I had hoped for a Calypso rhythm or for the lyrics somehow referring to the tour and Mika's concerts, as it's the name of the tour... but I somehow miss a "wow" moment in this song. Maybe I'll change my mind when I've listened more often and/or know the lyrics. Anyway, it's nice to listen to... maybe it's like with the cover of the album for me, that it'll take me a while to see behind the surface. I like the part before the chorus, where it kinda builds up. But the "danse Apocalypse Calypso" part (at least that's what I understand) doesn't sound much like dancing to me. :dunno:

The style of the song reminds me a bit of Sanremo - which I like mostly because of the lyrics  (and the video / meaning), so that also gives hope that it'll grow on me when I understand the lyrics.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mellody said:

Has anyone written down the lyrics yet? French fans, we'll really need your help a LOT with this album, lol! 😅 At least for now... it looks like there'll be lyrics in the booklet or at least on the vinyl sleeve - but if they're as accurate as the ones in the MNIMH booklet... as I said, we'll need your help a LOT! :lol3:

From the bits I understand is that it's about, um, chicken. :chkn: (for the newbies, this is a synonym for s*x, that we've started using in the early days for some complex reasons).

driving alone on a highway, with eyes closed?! wtf. That's certainly NOT something that gives me any positive thoughts or feelings. 🙈 

Listening to the song, I can't hear much of "burning" or a thrilling experience, which Mika probably refers to with the highway thing. Maybe I had hoped for a Calypso rhythm or for the lyrics somehow referring to the tour and Mika's concerts, as it's the name of the tour... but I somehow miss a "wow" moment in this song. Maybe I'll change my mind when I've listened more often and/or know the lyrics. Anyway, it's nice to listen to... maybe it's like with the cover of the album for me, that it'll take me a while to see behind the surface. I like the part before the chorus, where it kinda builds up. But the "danse Apocalypse Calypso" part (at least that's what I understand) doesn't sound much like dancing to me. :dunno:

The style of the song reminds me a bit of Sanremo - which I like mostly because of the lyrics  (and the video / meaning), so that also gives hope that it'll grow on me when I understand the lyrics.

I was in total turmoil but I'll get on the lyrics now. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, mellody said:

but I somehow miss a "wow" moment in this song. Maybe I'll change my mind when I've listened more often and/or know the lyrics. Anyway, it's nice to listen to...

19 minutes ago, mellody said:

I like the part before the chorus, where it kinda builds up.

I feel the same way so far! I like the verses and especially the pre-chorus more than the chorus. 

I think it will be harder for me to get into these new songs because usually the lyrics help, but with French songs it's just the music for me. :sweatdrop: 

• Like 2

@mellody

I put question marks when I'm not sure 

EDITED

STILL NOT SURE

IS HE SAYING THE F WORD? I KEEP LISTENING

Tant que l'on s'enlace on existe.
On se rend immortels devant l'apocalypse
En faisant l'amour on résiste
Regardes moi, prends moi la main

Ma bouche, ton dos sensuel à mort
Nos coeurs accros
On s'embrasse dans les flammes
Quoi qu'ils en pensent des conséquences, tes fesses elles dansent

Donnes moi la main

En dansant le calypso, l'apocalyse calypso

Calypso, calypso, calypso apocalyptique

On brûle, la braise, une bulle  on baise/ une bulle en baisse?
Ta peau, ma peau, le ciel à flots, moi dans ton dos

Donnes moi la main

En dansant le calypso, l'apocalyse calypso

Calypso, calypso, calypso apocalyptique

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Mika's voice sounds a bit different to me when he sings the melody (not referring to the whispering) - I wonder what the song will sound like when he sings it live.

I find it soothing and it does seem dreamlike. It seems to reflect in music the muted colors and softness of the billowy clouds on the album cover. "Il suono è ovattato" I would say in Italian. 

The song has a catchy tune and I found myself swaying to the music almost immediately. Don't know what the words say (except for the chorus). 

I like it  :original:

• Like 4

This is :mikadas: but I am not sure 100% so I left several options (blame it on my phone's bad sound, my old ears, or Mika's pronounciation) but I truly believe it is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I will keep editing as I listen

As long as we're in each other's arms
We're making ourselves immortal in front of the apocalypse
By making love we resist
Look at me, take my hand

My mouth, your deadly sensual back
Our hearts hooked
We're kissing in the middles the flammes
No matter what they think about the  consequences, your booty is dancing
We're kissing in the middle of flammes

I squeeze your body so tight

Give me your hand

As long as we're into each other's arms
By making love we're resisting
Look at me, take my hand

While dancing this calypso, the apocalyptic calypso

Calypso, calypso, apocalyptic calypso

We're almost burning, the ambers , a bubble,  we f♡♡♡
Your skin, my skin, the sky flowing, me in your back
We're kissing in the middle of flammes

I squeeze your body so tight

Give me your hand

As long as we're into each other's arms
By making love we're resisting
Look at me, take my hand

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

It's 1.30am, I don't have headphones so had to listen on a very quiet setting on my phone so as not to wake the neighbours BUT...  I LOVE IT!! It's dancy, and dreamlike, and fiery, full of defiant love. I can't wait to listen on full volume to appreciate it properly!! 

:wub2::wub2::cloud::swoon:

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Hero said:

It's 1.30am, I don't have headphones so had to listen on a very quiet setting on my phone so as not to wake the neighbours BUT...  I LOVE IT!! It's dancy, and dreamlike, and fiery, full of defiant love. I can't wait to listen on full volume to appreciate it properly!! 

:wub2::wub2::cloud::swoon:

You describe it so well :hi5:

• Like 4

YouTube

Apocalypse calypso · MIKA

Apocalypse calypso ℗ 2023 MIKA PUNCH

Released on: 2023-10-20

• Associated Performer, Vocals, Piano, Background Vocalist: MIKA
  • Producer, Associated Performer, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Keyboards, Background Vocalist, Programmer, Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Marsō
  • Producer, Additional Producer, Associated Performer, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Keyboards, Synthesizer Programming, Background Vocalist, Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Renaud Rebillaud
  • Associated Performer, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Keyboards, Programmer: Matthieu Reynaud
  • Studio: Studio la tulipe
  • Studio: Gohan Music Studio
  • Personnel, Mixer: Jérémie Tuil
  • Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Eric Chevet
  • Studio: Masterdisk
  • Author, Composer: MIKA
  • Author: Carla De Coignac
  • Composer: Marsō
  • Composer: Matthieu Reynaud

Auto-generated by YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mellody said:

but if they're as accurate as the ones in the MNIMH booklet

LMAO, I've had that with so many artists, why can't they make sure the lyrics are correct in the booklet at least? :lmfao:

6 hours ago, mellody said:

Maybe I had hoped for a Calypso rhythm or for the lyrics somehow referring to the tour and Mika's concerts, as it's the name of the tour...

Funny, I never thought it'd be about that, but I full on expected it to be a calypso rhythm too!! I mean, yes, the play on the words "apocalypse" and "calypso" is fun in and of itself, but I feel like too little is done with it lyrically – I mean rhetorically and stylistically, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, mellody said:

he style of the song reminds me a bit of Sanremo

SAME! My first thought was that it's like Sanremo meets Tomorrow Domani!

5 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

f♡♡♡

:roll1:The lyrics are INSANE though! I mean, that stuff is EXPLICIT!! I guess it fits Tomorrow Domani in that regard as well, although it waves goodbye to any ambiguity hahah! Love that for him xD

• Like 6

Tanto es así que el vínculo existe.

Nos rendimos a los inmortales ante el apocalipsis

Hacer el amor en resiste

Sinceramente toma mi mano

Mi boca, tus dos sensuales hasta la muerte.

Nuestros corazones se aferran a su abrazo en las llamas, a su abrazo en las llamas.

Piensen lo que piensen de las consecuencias, tu trasero está bailando.

Sostengo tu cuerpo tan fuerte

Dame tu mano

Tanto es así que el vínculo no existe.

Nos rendimos a los inmortales ante el apocalipsis

Hacer el amor en resiste

Calipso bailando, apocalipsis de Calipso.

Bailando el calipso, este calipso apocalíptico

Calipso, calipso, calipso apocalíptico

Al arder, las brasas, un burbujear al carajo

Tu piel, mi piel, el cielo en olas, yo a tu espalda Nos besamos en las llamas

Sostengo tu cuerpo tan fuerte

Dame tu mano

Tanto es así que el vínculo existe.

Nos hacemos inmortales ante el apocalipsis Bailando calipso, este calipso apocalíptico

Hacer el amor en resiste

Calipso bailando, apocalipsis de Calipso.

Bailando el calipso, este calipso apocalíptico

Calipso, calipso, calipso apocalíptico

• Like 4

6 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

IS HE SAYING THE F WORD? I KEEP LISTENING

I THINK HE IS! But then, my French is very limited. Or it’s just what I want to hear :facepalm::lol3:

It’s catchy and naughty, complete tongue in cheek song. Listening to it this morning it’s catching me more than last night midnight.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

I think it will be harder for me to get into these new songs because usually the lyrics help, but with French songs it's just the music for me. :sweatdrop: 

Funny, because for me, it's the same, for the opposite reason. I'm used to hook at the music (or not), then I discover the lyrics, and if I don't necessarly like so much the lyrics, it  doesn't change so much my perception of the song,. There, the lyrics jump into my face (especially for this one :lol3:)

3 hours ago, sarinaa said:

SAME! My first thought was that it's like Sanremo meets Tomorrow Domani!

Exactly what I thought too ! 

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I THINK HE IS!

He totally is. No doubt possible :facepalm: 

I like it better this morning that last night. To be honest, I expected a song on that subject, it was pretty evident, but I didn't expect it to be THAT explicit, and at my first listening, this precise word used to make me get out of the song each time. But this morning, I'm used to it, so it's not the same. 

For once, I have a lot to say. First, I must admit that even if I love C'est la vie's lyrics way much more, infinitely more, than this one's lyrics, musically, I find apocalypse calypso more rich. I'm totally in love with the pre-chorus. Totally "Tomorrow", and my love for "Tomorrow" is absolute. I like the rest too, it's very sweet, even the chorus, though not really what I expected, I imediately understood the purpose, and liked it. So, yes, the melody, the music, is totally great for my ears. Like it very much.

Now, for the lyrics. Usually, in french, the word "baise" is used in some familiar, vulgar way. But it's absolutely not the case here. Even if the lyrics are indeed explicite, it's not vulgar at all, in fact, I'm surprised we can make a song that explicite and that sweet at the same time. Because of the rythm of the music, it even has some "romantic" vibes, that's definitely a love song.

This song, for me, is an affirmation to love whoever you want, and even if people says homophobic or other mean things about your love, we're together in that world, and our love is defying even apocalyptic things. The "Quoi qu'ils en pensent, des conséquences", immediately made me think of that, and the reference of some apocalyptic calypso, though not clear in signification, made me think it was definitely the case. For me, it's a little more than a simple love song, but maybe I'm overthinking there. .. Don't know, I immediately understood the song that way. 

My general opinion is : I like that song, thought I would love it more with different lyrics. But since I will naturally be used to lyrics, it can still grow in me since it reminds me of Tomorrow, who's a favorite of mine. For the moment, I like it, I listen to it in repeat, but it's not one of my favorites. But it has the potential to change... 

Edited by Presci1108
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ok I've now listened to it loud with headphones (on my works pc :teehee:). I LOVE it. It feels like a warm hug and puts a dreamy smile on my face while carrying me away to a dreamland and making my hips swing. The message is very Mika - who cares about what's happening or what they think, we're alive, so let's love and f♡♡♡ and dance and enjoy it in the moment, an affirmation of life.  But done in a very gentle, loving way. His voice is so warm, honestly I'm melting. 

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 8

I am so in love with this song! When I gave it a first listen I thought "ooh this is so soft and calm at the start", then the build up from the pre-chorus to the chorus moves away from calmness into something more stronger and somewhat uplifting. There's power behind those words in the chorus and I love how Mika has just put it all out there without holding back about the subject matter, of course it's about sex and it's very much in your face in the chorus, but I also pick up on the more romantic side of the song. There's that sense of intimacy between two people but it doesn't just have to mean something physical all the time, it's clearly a love song about finding strength in each others love and being able to resist any sh*t that life throws your way.

46 minutes ago, Presci1108 said:

Even if the lyrics are indeed explicite, it's not vulgar at all, in fact, I'm surprised we can make a song that explicite and that sweet at the same time. Because of the rythm of the music, it even has some "romantic" vibes, that's definitely a love song.

You've worded this so well, I 100% agree!

I'm going to be listening to this song on repeat so much today! I needed this ♥️

• Like 8