Donne-moi la main
Tant que l’on s’enlace on existe
On se rend immortel devant l’apocalypse
En faisant l’amour on résiste
Regarde-moi, prends-moi la main

En dansant le calypso, apocalypse calypso
En dansant le calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique
Où est la calypso, apocalypse calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique

I love the video and the animations😍! During the weekend I have been listening to the song (a lot!) and I finally had the time to read the lyrics more carefully. On Youtube music app they were already available. I love the message of loving each other despite everything's going on around us. To resist together. It took me a while (well, 2 days :lmfao:) to appreciate Apocalypse Calypso but now I can't stop listening to it:teehee: the sound is very catchy as well. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I corrected the 2nd "embrase", because you had written "embrasse" - and as I learned in this thread, this means different things. :teehee: (we burst into flames vs we kiss in the flames)

I agree with you but in the video, 2nd one is "Je t'embrasse" so maybe it's a mistake or maybe there's both.

(There were already errors in the C'est La Vie lyrics video, so I wouldn't be surprised. I think we should wait for the booklet to be 100% sure :lmfao:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juless said:

I agree with you but in the video, 2nd one is "Je t'embrasse" so maybe it's a mistake or maybe there's both.

(There were already errors in the C'est La Vie lyrics video, so I wouldn't be surprised. I think we should wait for the booklet to be 100% sure :lmfao:)

Ah, you're right... lol, such a mess! In the text under the video it's 1x embrase and 1x embrasse in the first verse, and embrase in the 2nd. In the video itself it's 2x embrase in the first verse and 1x embrasse in the 2nd. :doh: I'll change it again, like it is in the video. Guess/hope that's the most accurate. :naughty:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mellody said:

In the video itself it's 2x embrase in the first verse and 1x embrasse in the 2nd. :doh: 

Also according to the pictures in the video this makes the most sense. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Also according to the pictures in the video this makes the most sense. :thumb_yello:

Now that we've got the lyrics , it's time to debate about all the small video details (and meanings of course ......) :naughty:.

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I love how much my French vocabulary expands with each Mika song :biggrin2:

That's made me smile because in French  "avoir le feu aux fesses" means having lot of sex 

The second meaning is being in a hurry . In this video , it could me a combination of both :naughty:

on b.png

• Haha 8

2 days no time to post and although I read everything that was posted, I have trouble catching up with everything I wanted to reply, lol! :lol3: I'll try, starting from the back (why does that sound ambiguous in this thread?! :facepalm: :lmfao:)

2 hours ago, Valerie L said:

Hello, Mika just answered some questions on Instagram riffx.fr, and one question about the meaning of Apocalypse Calypso, he said he wanted to write a romantic song, and for him the most romantic thing is making love in the middle of the Apocalypse… and his tournée 2024 will be like a Ball during or just after the apocalypse. 

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Look at us trying to interpret the depth of psychology and symbolism for this song.

And it’s really just and only about making love :lol3:

1 hour ago, L'inconnue35 said:

:lmao: I laughed so hard when I heard this interview... 

His vision of the most romantic song is a song about sex during the end of the world...😂😂

So Mika! :lmfao:

Ok, glad then that he meant it exactly as I interpreted it at first, and I didn't miss any deeper meaning. :lmfao: And actually this makes some of the other things I wanted to write obsolete, like referring to the meaning of Apocalypse Calypso that we tried to find out in the other thread about the tour name ... Apocalypse as Revelation (well, that could still be true and an intended double meaning), Calypso as the Siren that kept Odysseus from returning home - all bs, it's just about :chkn:. :naughty:

As much as I disagree with him on that being a romantic scenery, as much I adore him for being so open about it, not only in the song but also in interviews and promo. Not keeping quiet about it, not hiding behind something or trying to "sell" it as something that it isn't. This interview and the lyrics video actually take away any bad feelings I had about this song, because this confidence is sexy. As someone said on here (not searching for the quote now), Mika says "regarde moi" (look at me) both in C'est La Vie and Apocalypse Calypso. This reminds me of when he got me on stage in 2015, to dance to BBB with him. He gave me his hand to help me up, and then he talked in my ear and told me "follow my lead", before teaching me some fun impromptu choreography for the song. In that moment I was too nervous to appreciate those details, but this confidence that he always (well, almost always) had on stage is awesome, and feels very different from a situation like in the Pif documentary where Pif had to eat the part of the salad that Mika himself likes best. It's not "I like this, so I hope everyone else will like it as well, and I feel hurt if you don't" but "I like it and it's perfectly fine if other people see it differently, but I stand by my opinion." "Look at me, this is me - and I invite you to join me where you would like to, and go your own way where you prefer that. Either is fine."

Not sure if I made sense with this, but long story short, I like confident Mika. :wub2: It makes it much easier to trust him if he trusts himself. Like, that he'll make these shows the most awesome version of the apocalypse, like we never would have imagined it. :naughty: :fangurl:

When I joked earlier in this thread about Mika opening his pants (figuratively) instead of his heart, I think now that what I should have said is AND, and not "instead". He opens everything. :mf_rosetinted: :naughty: He used to say in the early days that he's as romantic as a barstool :teehee:, but also showed often enough that he does have a very romantic side too - so even though I don't agree with him on each of his definitions of romantic situations, I think he lives a very wide variety of those definitions, from the more classical to the very unique sense. :biggrin2:

Btw, a thought after seeing the text in the lyrics video, which is, like his logo, "melting like ice cream", as someone said - while I interpret it differently on the album cover, in connection with this song what comes to my mind is exactly that, "Ice Cream", Mika's version of it. He really is proudly pacing to MFC's naughty corner with this album, inviting us all to follow him. :lmfao: :facepalm:

Also, about that Wired interview from 2019 someone posted. I'm not sure if I had seen it before, some parts seem familiar, others don't... anyway I think he already did what he said there with the Revelation Tour. Those shows definitely were super sexy - the longer the tour lasted, the better they became, but I totally get what he meant, in regard to embracing his sexy side and the shows he wanted to do. The only bit that confuses me is the Mika/Michael part, as he keeps saying that Michael is the side of him he doesn't feel comfortable with, the one who gets the bills and pays the taxes - but maybe it's not just that but every part of him that he has been hiding so far?

However, as a bit of context, that summer he released the Ice Cream music video and did some festival performances in France, with half-naked girls on stage and him and his band (some of which were actually dancers, pretending to be musicians) doing some boyband-style choreography to Ice Cream. At first he also said that he'd have dancers for his tour - but I think when he did this Wired interview, he already had realized that maybe his first approach hadn't been the best choice. And so, during the US part of the tour and the first part of the European tour, he kept building his stage show into something absolutely amazing, with a real band and without a single dancer on stage, 100% getting across what he said in this interview, in his very own way. And it's so good to see that after the pandemic and his Mum's death, he finally seems to be back now where he left off in early 2020, or even a few steps further. I cannot wait for this tour. :mikalove:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Ah, you're right... lol, such a mess! In the text under the video it's 1x embrase and 1x embrasse in the first verse, and embrase in the 2nd. In the video itself it's 2x embrase in the first verse and 1x embrasse in the 2nd. :doh: I'll change it again, like it is in the video. Guess/hope that's the most accurate. :naughty:

I hear embrase first, then embrasse twice :lmfao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I absolutely adore the lyric video. Very unusual for me to not vibe much with the song itself and then be so fascinated by the visuals. But it's just so fun and colorful and makes me understand it more.

Like he said in the interview, he wanted to write a romantic song and his type of romance is "playful sensuality" and the visuals underline that so well. He continues to prove that sexuality doesn't have to be dark and mysterious but can just be cute and fun and light.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, camille* said:

I hear embrase first, then embrasse twice :lmfao:

I hear no difference. Is it possible that he intended a double meaning for all 3 of them, because both versions fit to the song and it sounds very similar? :dunno_grin:

On 10/21/2023 at 10:27 PM, QueenBigFat said:

Nous pourrions parler de la façon dont c’est ouvertement ou sexuel, mais en tant qu’étranger très éloigné observant la culture française, il semble que vous ayez une frontière beaucoup moins rigide que nous entre ce qui est manifeste et romantique. Nous sommes tellement réprimés aux États-Unis ! Donc, ce que nous pouvons considérer comme trop manifeste, peut ne pas sembler l’être dans une autre culture ? – demanda-t-elle.

Take a look at this song, and the lyrics......

He's useing the same words as Mika in Apocalypse Calypso.

And many others that could be disgusting if used with bad intent or vulgarity.

But this guy who wrote songs called "Le zizi" or "Le cul de Lucette" and many others is considered a naughty erotic poet in France.

Pierre Perret — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

Edited by carafon
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, carafon said:

But this guy who wrote songs called "Le zizi" or "Le cul de Lucette" and many others is considered a naughty erotic poet in France.

Ah oui, Mika c’est un ange à côté…😆 Mika is an angel 😇 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

I hear no difference. Is it possible that he intended a double meaning for all 3 of them, because both bersions fit to the song and it sounds very similar? :dunno_grin:

For me he definitely wanted to use both. I think it's clever this way

BTW Carla de Coignac who wrote the song with Mika posted 2 interesting stories today, related to the lyrics. She mentions Calypso the nymph but also gives details about Calypso dance

received_341599605192706.thumb.jpeg.cb420944315c1ecef7fd24feb4d87580.jpegreceived_1513288299212158.thumb.jpeg.c388f9491b1b2dc23fbba92ba97408fc.jpeg

Edited by camille*
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, camille* said:

For me he definitely wanted to use both. I think it's clever this way

BTW Carla de Coignac who wrote the song with Mika posted 2 interesting stories today, related to the lyrics. She mentions Calypso the nymph but also gives details about Calypso dance

received_341599605192706.thumb.jpeg.cb420944315c1ecef7fd24feb4d87580.jpegreceived_1513288299212158.thumb.jpeg.c388f9491b1b2dc23fbba92ba97408fc.jpeg

Hmm I’ve actually been looking into Calypso dance, there doesn’t seem to be a consensus. This above sounds more slow. Whereas the Calypso dance from Trinidad seems to be very fast paced. 

Since Mika’s song is more slow paced, above description fits better. Still as a former dancer; I would love to know how it’s danced!! 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:22 AM, QueenBigFat said:

OT

Actually finding the right word for what I am trying to communicate is one of my favorite things in life!!:nerd:  
…. but Wrt communicating feelings or tone or intent on the internet, I totally agree!

Hugs are best irl :hug: 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:00 PM, mellody said:

Thanks Deb for writing them down! I added them to the first post, along with the English translation (taken from a mix between Google translate and Anne's translation). I corrected the 2nd "embrase", because you had written "embrasse" - and as I learned in this thread, this means different things. :teehee: (we burst into flames vs we kiss in the flames)

Yes. I had doubts about "embrase" and "embrasse" if it was not the same word or if Mika was only pronouncing it in a  different way...also I had heard "tes fesses elles dansent" and it was " tes fesses cette danse" 

I am so grateful we have lyrics videos  now when we used to have to guess lyrics even when the album was out :mikalove:

I think he really wants all his fans to enjoy his new album so he is doing everything to remove the language bareer :wub2:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, carafon said:

Pierre Perret — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

I love Pierre Perret :wub2: I didn't know that song thank you @carafon :huglove:

I am not quoting myself as I do not want to bring any bad feelings from my previous post. But Mellody posted something in a different thread that made me need to say….I hope no one thinks I was criticizing Mika, himself, the human that he is, in my those posts. :no: The mere thought that my words might have been interpreted that way gives me the shivers.  I was criticizing a statement. Actually more reacting, emotionally, to a statement. Which I hope we are free to do here. Differing with what someone says or does is not the same as judging the person. 

• Like 6