Apocalypse Calypso - Song and lyrics discussions

Juless

@mellody @silver @CharlotteL No, you're not the only one for sure! I was also hoping for some more sophisticated and meaningful song, musically and lyrically wise.

To me the lyrics are mediocre, no witty innuendos, no poetry, nothing to make me try to understand the meaning... even if it's in French, still sounds vulgar to me. 

And so much distortion of his voice, why they needed to do that? I will never understand the reason of doing that to Mika's voice. 

When I first listened to C'est La vie, I got tears in my eyes, now I feel no emotions about this song at all. And I know it won't grow on me, because nothing makes me push the play button again... 

40 minutes ago, mellody said:

And maybe a little also because most people seem to love it, and it makes me feel a little disconnected that I can't share this emotion.

I feel the same :sad:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Well, there are certainly different levels of appreciation for each of his songs. There are songs of his that I tend to skip (GASP! I know! I’m such a bad fan :facepalm:), there are songs that just rip my heart open. And then there are songs that are right in between. For me that’s this song. It’s a mellow feel-good-song.

Although I do enjoy interpreting Mika’s songs to no end usually. This one being so explicit, it makes it a “oh, heehee! :teehee:“ song with a “let’s just dance and go with the flow” and “worry about it tomorrow (if there is a tomorrow, in the face of the apocalypse!)”. I kinda agree here with Anna, it’s just feeling no talking, which is basically what the lyrics are :biggrin2:, so I guess it fits, haha. 

Exactly, it's not a song that needs deep examination of the lyrics. What's important is the feeling it imparts. It's like, you're in that dreamspace where you're on a natural high with your lover, and nothing and nobody is going to break into that, you become your own protective bubble. For the next few minutes there's nothing to worry about except you and me and the way we make each other feel. After the song, I feel like I'm waking up and coming back to reality. It's a beautiful dream of love. :wub2: 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Of course! :doh: Sex and food are the most important things for him, so it makes sense.  :naughty: :roftl:

Well see, that's just the point I can't relate to, probably because sex is obviously far less significant to me than it is to him, and I don't primarily express love through physicality. That's no news to me, but a song that relies completely on sex to get a message like this across, without the possibility of interpreting much different things into it, is just not very relatable to me. Like, take "Tomorrow". The situation is clear, but he sings about kissing under the stars, and "if you say you'll be there tomorrow, I'll love you tomorrow". Or Ice Cream, it's very explicit too, but it's about a dream, about "I want...", with a fun side to it, like the laughing swimming pool. It's innuendos, you know what's going on but you can still make your own story out of it. While this one rather describes a very specific situation. And while I am able to enjoy it from an outside point of view, of being empathetic and happy for Mika, personally I don't feel this song. At least not yet. Maybe once I manage to focus on the less explicit parts like "look at me, take my hand", and the dancing. :dunno_grin: (tho the "Apocalypse" topic doesn't help to make me like the lyrics more 😅)

However, as I said, I enjoy listening to it nevertheless, it's a nice song... and there certainly are a bunch of Mika songs that mean nothing to me personally but that I still listen to. The only reason why this is bothering me in this case is because of my expectations. And maybe a little also because most people seem to love it, and it makes me feel a little disconnected that I can't share this emotion.

:itsok: Don't worry we all react in different ways to different Mika's songs. There are some I always skip because they either make me feel sad or simply because I don't connect to them. For example Dear Jealousy is loved by many but left me cold and it took the Beirut concert to make me like Promiseland. Even Mika said it was ok not to click with his songs..Love Todsy and Blame it on the girls are songs I skip all the time. Some took a while to grow on me. Others are instant love and that is a blessing when it happens. And there are twelve songs in the album so I'm sure there will be songs you click with among them :hug: And the album in English won't take long to.come out as Mika has been recording in studios everywhere he was touring :thumb_yello: 

Sex and food is better than sex, drugs and rock'n'roll as for some stars:teehee: 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hero said:

Exactly, it's not a song that needs deep examination of the lyrics. What's important is the feeling it imparts. It's like, you're in that dreamspace where you're on a natural high with your lover, and nothing and nobody is going to break into that, you become your own protective bubble. For the next few minutes there's nothing to worry about except you and me and the way we make each other feel. After the song, I feel like I'm waking up and coming back to reality. It's a beautiful dream of love. :wub2: 

:wub2:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

My general opinion is : I like that song, thought I would love it more with different lyrics. But since I will naturally be used to lyrics, it can still grow in me since it reminds me of Tomorrow, who's a favorite of mine. For the moment, I like it, I listen to it in repeat, but it's not one of my favorites. But it has the potential to change... 

I had the same reaction, in reverse. I usually fall into addiction over the hook in his songs and then fall deeply in love via the lyrics. It makes me sad to say this but it is not one of my favorites either, musically. OTOH, I love the lyrics. To me, the melody and arrangement were….bland. Even weak (sorry). but as usual, paradoxes ensue, because the  context is—-terrifying—- and lyrics, while they establish a powerful resistance against annihilation (and, as @CharlotteL so astutely pointed out, rebellion against sexual oppression)and  are very intense. Thematically it is like Last Party, but not a party for “everyone “; a very private, intimate, personal party for two. 

And…I see a lot of conversation about his use of the f word, but to me, the line “ me in your back”, while a tad less overt, is the most sexually brazen. And graphic. And…well…quite evocative in, um, stimulating the imagination.:fisch:

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, L'inconnue35 said:

For the lyrics 🔞

On brûle, la braise, une bulle  on baise

I also hear the same, but I wonder if the translation is correct... In French the verb baiser has 2 meanings : have sex in a very familiar and vulgar language or it could also mean "to kiss" , which is OK with the next lyrics ta peau ma peau...?? 

The second meaning is more poetic than the first one 🤣

Only the official translation can tell us what Mika had in mind😅

Somehow I have the feeling that this ambiguity is so very Mika. 😅For those who find "f..." too vulgar, they can simply interpret it as kissing. :lol3:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

And…I see a lot of conversation about his use of the f word, but to me, the line “ me in your back”, while a tad less overt, is the most sexually brazen. And graphic.

Exactly.

25 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Somehow I have the feeling that this ambiguity is so very Mika. 😅For those who find "f..." too vulgar, they can simply interpret it as kissing. :lol3:

The more I'm listening to the song , the more I wonder if Anne may be right with "une bulle en baisse"

I'll explain my theory later when I'll be beck from tennis

17 minutes ago, carafon said:

"une bulle en baisse"

To be fair; for a non French speaker (like myself) “le beau temps” and “Louboutin” sound the same, especially in song.

So “en baisse” and “on b**se” do, too :biggrin2:

Imagine if it’s hard for French natives to even hear it…we are all lost :lol3: wouldn’t be surprised that’s exactly the intention! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

but as usual, paradoxes ensue, because the  context is—-terrifying—- and lyrics, while they establish a powerful resistance against annihilation (and, as @CharlotteL so astutely pointed out, rebellion against sexual oppression)and  are very intense. Thematically it is like Last Party, but not a party for “everyone “; a very private, intimate, personal party for two. 

I agree, that being said: isn’t this the most poetic way to fight oppression and make a point? Through art and song? It’s what he always has done - and frankly every artist with him. And then to know that the journey he has taken to get where he is now. To be blatantly direct, to the point, without dancing around it. In a language that is emotionally close to him, that must be incredibly freeing.

People who know his background and who can relate to this in any way or form; regardless of sex or sexuality, will maybe also find the courage to be themselves and to take lightness in it. Because it is a light and easy melody. But shouldn’t this topic be light and easy? Yes we fight for our rights to be ourselves, but isn’t it the point to normalize who we are, so we don’t have to fight? And can just be? And just enjoy. 

I’ve wandered off a bit, but I think it can be interpreted as a powerful statement wrapped in an easy and dreamy melody. 

• Like 7

This is purely my own personal preference, but I wouldn't describe the song as explicit myself. Yes, some of the wording can certainly be seen that way but for me the song as a whole isn't. As previously pointed out it's not done in a vulgar way, it's simply conveying that honesty of what making love can accomplish for a relationship and what it feels like between two people. To me the song is very pure and very real, for once I actually think it's a good thing that Mika isn't hiding behind innuendos. It might not carry the same emotional impact as C'est La Vie but it's still very much a "heart on my sleeve" kind of song.
   I also think the song conveys that balance between what can be negatively thrown at a relationship and the negativity already within a relationship, but it circles back to how two people get through it together. The "Apocalypse" is out there in the world but there's also an "Apocalypse" happening between the lovers (gives me Last Party vibes). As I said before it might not necessarily be the physical side of the relationship that makes things stronger, intimacy doesn't have to just mean sex. It can be just two people standing side by side, supporting each other. Sometimes love IS enough.
   There's nothing wrong with bringing up the subject of sex in a song and why shouldn't Mika go down this route with AC? He's said time and time again that he's sick of people telling him no, telling him that he can't be his true self. Now he his (although it did also come across in MNIMH) and with this song I actually find it empowering. Referring back to this line especially: "No matter what they think about the consequences, your booty is dancing", Mika doesn't give a damn about the consequences of people seeing that he's in a very umm shall we say fullfilling relationship :teehee:
   Not everyone is going to like this song, either lyrically or musically and there's no right or wrong opinion or interpretation for it either. And that's ok. I'm glad we can discuss our various thoughts about a song here and nothing bad is going to happen if someone says they don't connect to it, we can still be accepting of one another's opinions and that's what I love about MFC! :group_hug:.
   I'll be honest too, I can relate to the majority of Mika's songs but I think this is the first one where I don't feel a connection with the lyrics. The music has more of an impact on me, I love the softness and the higher beats of the chorus. As long as it gets me dancing then that's good enough for me! :biggrin2:

Thematically it is like Last Party, but not a party for “everyone “; a very private, intimate, personal party for two. 

I was going to say something along this line too! You've hit the nail on the head there!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Not everyone is going to like this song, either lyrically or musically and there's no right or wrong opinion or interpretation for it either. And that's ok. I'm glad we can discuss our various thoughts about a song here and nothing bad is going to happen if someone says they don't connect to it, we can still be accepting of one another's opinions and that's what I love about MFC! :group_hug:.
   I'll be honest too, I can relate to the majority of Mika's songs but I think this is the first one where I don't feel a connection with the lyrics. The music has more of an impact on me, I love the softness and the higher beats of the chorus. As long as it gets me dancing then that's good enough for me! :biggrin2:

Yes! This! Thank you for wording it so perfectly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I’ve wandered off a bit, but I think it can be interpreted as a powerful statement wrapped in an easy and dreamy melody. 

I agree with this too. And also what you say about normalisation of being open about identity, sexuality and sex. So many artists tip toe around the subject, either because they don't feel comfortable opening up or they've been told no. It's actually refreshing to have a song from Mika that's so blatant.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, carafon said:

The more I'm listening to the song , the more I wonder if Anne may be right with "une bulle en baisse"

I'll explain my theory later when I'll be beck from tennis

I was listening today with my headset and had the same doubt. Mika sings an "s" at the end of the word. Like in the word "baisse". In "baise" it should be an "z".

Anyway for me it doesn't change anything. Baiser means as well to kiss.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

There's nothing wrong with bringing up the subject of sex in a song and why shouldn't Mika go down this route with AC? He's said time and time again that he's sick of people telling him no, telling him that he can't be his true self. Now he his (although it did also come across in MNIMH) and with this song I actually find it empowering. Referring back to this line especially: "No matter what they think about the consequences, your booty is dancing", Mika doesn't give a damn about the consequences of people seeing that he's in a very umm shall we say fullfilling relationship :teehee:

48 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

People who know his background and who can relate to this in any way or form; regardless of sex or sexuality, will maybe also find the courage to be themselves and to take lightness in it. Because it is a light and easy melody. But shouldn’t this topic be light and easy? Yes we fight for our rights to be ourselves, but isn’t it the point to normalize who we are, so we don’t have to fight? And can just be? And just enjoy. 

You're absolutely right.

I'm a bit surprised how many people find this lyrics too explicit or even vulgar (but it's completely okay if you feel that way, no offense!), but I want to point out that today - in 2023 - there is nothing strange about explicit lyrics, even if it's about LGBTQ relationships. Oh and that's another thing about this song: it could be about ANYONE, ofc we know Mika and we know that it's about his own feelings and experiences but you can interpret it any way you want. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see no indication of gender in these lyrics, it says WE and there is no sign of HE or HIM or anything.

I mean just look at the mainstream pop music of today, it's SO oversexualized in every way. I think it's just too much sometimes, for my taste. Look at Sam Smith, Kim Petras ... or Troye Sivan's most recent video where he's dressed up as a woman (and looks absolutely gorgeous btw). All LGBTQ artists, being very open about sexuality. And people love it.

Mika is not a mainstream artist and I think we all know he is much more than that :) but he can be open about this topic as well, while keeping his own personality and artistry. I think his songs about sex are always on spot, he is never vulgar. These lyrics are graphic (but not too much) I agree with @QueenBigFat and it conveys this feeling of burning desire very well. I'm pretty sure he had so much fun writing this song (and all the others on the album), it must be a freeing experience for him. But I still think there's nothing peculiar about AC, not even for a Mika song.

I hope I didn't offend anyone! I know, songs are a bit more fun when they leave something to the imagination, but this time I can deal with that :)

• Like 11

Oh and I don't know if it was pointed out earlier, but take a look at the vinyl, there IS a lyrics booklet. You can see Amour Pirate, even if it's a bit blurry. So the mystery of baisse or baise will be solved :lol3: (Sorry if it was already mentioned)

lyricsbooklet.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I agree, that being said: isn’t this the most poetic way to fight oppression and make a point? Through art and song?

Yes I agree.

Although I just wanted to clarify that even though I reflected upon this interpretation in my last post, it's not necessarily my own. As I said, I just don't feel strongly about song or lyrics so I feel neither uncomfortable nor empowered by them.

However I think both are valid reactions and can see where all of you are coming from.

And I don't think that if you feel weird about the lyrics and find them too explicit for your taste it means you are uncomfortable with lgbt+ relationships or sex. Not that I think anybody meant to imply that, but just to make that absolutely clear.

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I'm glad we can discuss our various thoughts about a song here and nothing bad is going to happen if someone says they don't connect to it, we can still be accepting of one another's opinions and that's what I love about MFC!

YES YES YES!!! I love hearing everyone's varying opinions and reasons why they connect (or don't connect) with certain songs. Makes you learn so much about that person and also see the song in a whole new light.

1 hour ago, BeccaStardust said:

Really enjoying the song, might not understand what's happening but enjoying it none the less

All my ace MFC friends right now :lmfao:

• Like 9

On 10/11/2023 at 7:15 PM, SusanT said:

Carolina Stamerra Grassi l'altro giorno era a Parigi. Stava aiutando Mika con questo spettacolo o con la performance per la finale del 28 ottobre? Chi lo sa? :)

On 10/12/2023 at 7:02 PM, mellody said:

Finally managed to listen to this interview, it's always a bit confusing when there's so many little clips of it everywhere. :lol:

But it's the presenter who says the album title is Bougez, Mika says he's not saying the title? Or do I understand that wrong?

And about Moi, Andy et Paris, I think Mika says "I know he's watching, so no, Andy is not jealous!" :fisch: Oops! 🙊 :naughty:

On 9/29/2023 at 10:13 AM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I recorded the audio.

We can hear how the album will start :-)

And the new title from the album: Bougez.

Mika mentioned as well that he asked Valerie Lemercier to make some "aaaa" on Jane Birkin song.

Valerie was an inspiration for the opening of the album.

I notice that Mika is opening up a lot in recent times and you can also see it in these new songs and I can say that I'm very happy for him. It's about time he did it!😊

• Like 4

On 10/20/2023 at 1:25 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

@mellody

I put question marks when I'm not sure 

EDITED

STILL NOT SURE

IS HE SAYING THE F WORD? I KEEP LISTENING

Tant que l'on s'enlace on existe.
On se rend immortels devant l'apocalypse
En faisant l'amour on résiste
Regardes moi, prends moi la main

Ma bouche, ton dos sensuel à mort
Nos coeurs accros
On s'embrasse dans les flammes
Quoi qu'ils en pensent des conséquences, tes fesses elles dansent

Je serre ton corps si fort

Donnes moi la main

En dansant le calypso, l'apocalyse calypso
En dansant le calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique

Calypso, calypso, calypso apocalyptique

On brûle, la braise, une bulle  on baise/ une bulle en baisse?
Ta peau, ma peau, le ciel à flots, moi dans ton dos

Je serre ton corps si fort

Donnes moi la main

En dansant le calypso, l'apocalyse calypso

Calypso, calypso, calypso apocalyptique

@mellody thank you so much my friend

I do also hear "défait cette danse" instead of "tes fesses, elles dansent" (he doesn't pronounce any L sound) and "une bulle en baisse" for the double S sound as someone mentioned. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mellody said:

Sex and food are the most important things for him. 

Be ready for "sweety banana" .......the title may be a perfect combo of his 2 passions !:naughty:

Well , as I said a few hours ago , the more I'm listening to the song , the more I'm earing " une bulle en baisse" instead  of "une bulle , on baise" 

Not that I'm chocked by the second option because he says it very softly , nothing to do with the way some singers do , and you know that there is a vulgar intention behind .

Btw , I think that many French fans love the song , probably because we get this difference more easily than no French speaking's people

That said , back to "une bulle en baisse" . Of course it could be Mika's accent that is confusing us .( I suspect him to do it on purpose to get all streaming we'll need to try to understand :sneaky2:........:naughty: )  There are a lot of different kind of "s" "z" sounds in this song , it's probably very hard for him . At least to be an acceptable option it has to have a meaning and maybe a connection with the beginning of the verse " on brule la braise" . That's why I was thinking about a reference to a Galileo thermometer .

What's a Galileo thermometer and how do you read it? (zmescience.com)

Maybe it's just the ecologist in me who is speaking and it's a totaly fool idea but look .....the thermometer has bubbles and you know the temperature while looking which ones are floating and on what level (up or down) .  You don't have to care about the ones that sink , then maybe he's saying that the acceptable temperature's buble are sinking and that's what temperature it's so hot and unleash the apocalypse.

"quoi qu'ils en pensent des conséquences" can describe  climato sceptic persons.

"le ciel à flots" could be storms

It also caught my attention that he talks about "LE calypso" ( the danse) but there is also "Ou est LA Calypso ?" Why LA Calypso ?

Firstable it could be the sea nymph who is missing because the oceans are too hot.

I also remembered that in the 80/90 years "La calypso" was a very well known boat used by a very well known oceograph who did ecological documentaries

So maybe he's saying that this is missing too ......

Jacques-Yves Cousteau — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

Of course , I know it's very much farfetched :teehee: ........but as it crossed my mind and as some of you find the lyrics too much understandable I'm just here to add some more confusion........sorry about that :naughty:

About the LGBTQ+ interpretations I think that "on s'embrasse dans les flammes" may represent the hell where some people woud like to send them in

Edited by carafon
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, carafon said:

That said , back to "une bulle en baisse" . Of course it could be Mika's accent that is confusing us .( I suspect him to do it on purpose to get all streaming we'll need to try to understand :sneaky2:........:naughty: )  There are a lot of different kind of "s" "z" sounds in this song , it's probably very hard for him . At least to be an acceptable option it has to have a meaning and maybe a connection with the beginning of the verse " on brule la braise" . That's why I was thinking about a reference to a Galileo thermometer .

What's a Galileo thermometer and how do you read it? (zmescience.com)

Maybe it's just the ecologist in me who is speaking and it's a totaly fool idea but look .....the thermometer has bubbles and you know the temperature while looking which ones are floating and on what level (up or down) .  You don't have to care about the ones that sink , then maybe he's saying that the acceptable temperature's buble are sinking and that's what temperature it's so hot and unleash the apocalypse.

A very interesting approach. It reminded me this part of Last Party

"Who knew that mercury could rise so fast

Enjoy the party 'cause this is our last"

Where mercury has a double meaning: of Freddie and a thermometer.

• Like 7

Please pardon me for not doing quotes here. So many of you have said great things that I want to cite, so please know who you are, but all that cutting and pasting is beyond my skill level right now. Bad sleep last night. Somebody please remind me that when there is a hot conversation going on here I should not pick up my I-thing when I wake up in the middle of the night!

In the line of “hot conversations “….to me, this boils down to…it's a love song. An erotic love song. A song to his person, as opposed to all his other songs about love, which could certainly be interpreted as being to Andy, but which also sounded generalized enough so that they might be for anyone. I mean, one of the most romantic things I think he has ever sung is “thank god that you found me”, but that could also be to his fans, who saved him, as he has said. 🤷‍♀️. We could go all around about how overt or sexual it is, but as a verrrrrry far away outsider observing French culture, it does seem that you folks have a much less rigid boundary around what is overt vs romantic than we do. We are so repressed in the U S! So, what we may see as too overt, may not seem that way in another culture? —she asked.

Speaking of overt and hot, the other Mika sing that comes to mind is Feels Like Fire, which, to me, is waaaaay more overtly sexual than this one, because of the way he sings ohmygod (Oh. My. God.) but it is a duet with a woman! I know Mika has said, when being pushed to come out, that he would have sex with anyone. He has in the videos I have seen of him from early on just oozed sexuality, albeit a very juvenile charm, in the early years. In his Indeed Empathy special his sexualized performance seemed very purposefully directed to his gay male audience, and his appeal seemed to come from now a very adult place. (allow me a moment to say here that I loved how he looked in this show, and that when he played the drums in Love Today he was simply The Most Beautiful Man I Have Ever Laid Eyes On. I will now return to my previously scheduled content.)  In this song, however, at least in the audio version, the melody is not oozing anything; it is calm and soft and gentle. But clearly intimate. Now that I think of it, maybe more intimate, like lovers talking quietly in bed.

Finally, about the wonderfulness of sharing differences on this forum, I have so appreciated that from the very beginning, but I would also take that thought a step further. To me, especially as someone who has not been with Mika from the beginning, as do many of you have, being able to share my thoughts in the very forum chosen by Mika feels like a privilege. Not as a hyped teenager who is obsessed with whether her favorite singer is in the top ten, though I have certainly been there and done that, and those fans are great. But as one of many people who respect and admire this man as a creative force for good whose impact I am not sure he fully realizes. 

• Like 11