Apocalypse Calypso - Song and lyrics discussions

Juless

For the lyrics 🔞

On brûle, la braise, une bulle  on baise

I also hear the same, but I wonder if the translation is correct... In French the verb baiser has 2 meanings : have sex in a very familiar and vulgar language or it could also mean "to kiss" , which is OK with the next lyrics ta peau ma peau...?? 

The second meaning is more poetic than the first one 🤣

Only the official translation can tell us what Mika had in mind😅

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, L'inconnue35 said:

For the lyrics 🔞

I also hear the same, but I wonder if the translation is correct... In French the verb baiser has 2 meanings : have sex in a very familiar and vulgar language or it could also mean "to kiss" , which is OK with the next lyrics ta peau ma peau...?? 

I am convinced that he knows the double meaning and is enjoying this very much :lol3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

First, I must admit that even if I love C'est la vie's lyrics way much more, infinitely more, than this one's lyrics, musically, I find apocalypse calypso more rich. I'm totally in love with the pre-chorus.

I agree, I love how sweet and soft his voice sounds. C'est la vie is definitely more profound lyrically, but musically speaking, I prefer the melody and Mika's voice in AC. :cloud:

22 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I am convinced that he knows the double meaning and is enjoying this very much :lol3:

Same! :lmfao:

• Like 4

Hm, I guess I'm the only one then who isn't absolutely thrilled about this song. 🙈 Even after listening to it a dozen more times and reading the lyrics. Tho it has started to grow on me a bit more - I mean, as I said, it's nice to listen to, but if I look for emotions this song could make me feel, it's mostly not good ones. The effects on Mika's voice for some parts, certain aspects of the music, the very explicit lyrics... I'm not complaining and I'm not surprised or shocked, I know that's Mika 100% (although when he said he'd open his heart on this album, I thought he meant his heart and not his pants (figuratively), but well, for most men that's the same, so... 🙈 :naughty:), it's just not really for me. I prefer the innuendos and sensuality without getting too explicit. But as Presci says, apparently it doesn't come across as vulgar in French, so that is something that kinda gets lost in translation for me. Anyway, it's ok, that's the good thing about French lyrics, I can just ignore their meaning, because I don't understand it, lol! :teehee: Or maybe I just need more time to get used to it.

However, I can understand why it's important to Mika to express things so explicitly, he doesn't want to hide, and shouldn't have to hide. And I'm happy for him that he doesn't feel he needs to. So I would certainly fully support and defend him and this song for that, if anyone attacked him for being too offensive.

I assume that I had expected more of the song a) to make up for the topic of "Apocalypse", that I was sceptical about from the start, so I had hoped for something where I could say "Wow I LOVE this!! " And also b) because it's kind of the "title track" of the tour - but just like Sanremo or also Tomorrow it's a song that, although surely nice to hear it live, it doesn't really "carry" a live show, like some of Mika's other songs do, or have the potential to do. It's not one to get people jumping and screaming, and not one to melt away (at least not for me). Then again, he could do something totally surprising in the live version that could completely change my mind about this, I know that recorded versions aren't the same as live versions. So well, I guess when I manage to leave my original expectations of this song behind, maybe I can be a bit more open to what it actually is. :dunno_grin:

@crazyaboutmika thank you for the lyrics. Just wondering about one thing, are you sure it's "flammes" and not "fleurs"? This was one of the few words I was pretty sure about when I listened for the first time. :teehee: But maybe I just sang "fleurs" too often in the C'est la Vie challenge, because I guess flammes makes more sense in the context of Apocalypse, lol! :lol3:

Does it become clear in the lyrics if the song speaks more about "let's make love as if there was an apocalypse" (which, btw, reminds me of "Kiss me" by Dermot Kennedy, which Mika had in one of his playlists), or if it's rather "the apocalypse is coming, so we can make love without thinking about the consequences"? 

1 hour ago, L'inconnue35 said:

For the lyrics 🔞

Good to know that it can have this meaning too, because that was my first thought, thinking of "les baisers perdus", where the noun means kisses - my translation tool only tells me the vulgar meaning of the verb baiser. 🙈

We'll have a LOT to discuss and sort out for this album, even if the lyrics are in the booklet and are correct, lol! :lmfao: Unless he delivers translations for every song but I'm sure he won't. :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 3

For the moment I have one feeling:

An erotic poetry. The French language sounds so well in love songs!

And Mika's voice sounds different.

As he said in the past (and I confirm it from my own experience) you sound different while using a different language. Even the body language is changing.

It's the same for me. When I speak English my voice is much lower. When I speak French my voice is softer and higher. 

It was the first thought I had listening to the song: his voice is so soft and bright,  almost feminine! And I love it!!!!

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, mellody said:

I'm not complaining and I'm not surprised or shocked, I know that's Mika 100% (although when he said he'd open his heart on this album, I thought he meant his heart and not his pants (figuratively), but well, for most men that's the same, so... 🙈 :naughty:)

:mf_rosetinted::lmfao:

27 minutes ago, mellody said:

I prefer the innuendos and sensuality without getting too explicit. But as Presci says, apparently it doesn't come across as vulgar in French, so that is something that kinda gets lost in translation for me. Anyway, it's ok, that's the good thing about French lyrics, I can just ignore their meaning, because I don't understand it, lol! :teehee:

That's indeed a thing I don't have to worry about, no matter how explicit the French lyrics are, I will never feel uncomfortable listening to it because I don't really care or know what he is singing in French... :lmao: Even after reading the lyrics and knowing what's the song about, when I'm listening to it, I can't match the meaning with the words I'm listening to as I've never even learned French so for me it's just the sound of the language I hear without any meaning. :lol3: My favourite French song from Mika is BBB btw. The only lyrics I know are obviously boum boum boum and tequila. :biggrin2:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Honestly, the lyrics are precisely what stops me to totally fall in love with that song, so I understand what you says, @mellody I feel the same, it's clearly not my kind of lyrics. It's what I was the most afraid of when he announced his french album, the fact I knew there would be lyrics like that and I couldn't ignore it this time because well, it's my language. :lmfao:

I tell that, but I'm in the ones who immediately understood "baiser" in the most vulgar way, even if the other signification is also plausible, and the double-meaning, even more plausible...    :facepalm:

Edited by Presci1108
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, mellody said:

I'm not complaining and I'm not surprised or shocked, I know that's Mika 100% (although when he said he'd open his heart on this album, I thought he meant his heart and not his pants (figuratively), but well, for most men that's the same, so... 🙈 :naughty:)

May I award you with the "Comment of the day" medal? :yay::lol3:

• Haha 9

20 hours ago, mellody said:

@crazyaboutmika thank you for the lyrics. Just wondering about one thing, are you sure it's "flammes" and not "fleurs"? This was one of the few words I was pretty sure about when I listened for the first time. :teehee: But maybe I just sang "fleurs" too often in the C'est la Vie challenge, because I guess flammes makes more sense in the context of Apocalypse, lol! :lol3:

On some lines I understand 

"on s'embrase dans les fleurs" 

And on some ones  

" On s'embrasse dans les flammes" 

On 10/20/2023 at 1:25 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

IS HE SAYING THE F WORD? I KEEP LISTENING

On brûle, la braise, une bulle  on baise/ une bulle en baisse?

I first understood " une bulle obèse"  but I think I was just not ready for the truth :naughty::teehee:

Btw I also understood "defaits cette danse" instead of "tes fesses , elles dansent" 

Here is what I understand

Tant que l'on s'enlace on existe.
On se rend immortels devant l'apocalypse
En faisant l'amour on résiste
Regardes moi, prends moi la main

Ma bouche, ton dos sensuel à mort

Nos cœurs accros
On s'embrase dans les fleurs 
Quoi qu'ils en pensent des conséquences, défaits cette danse ( not sure )
On s'embrasse dans les flammes

Je serre ton corps si fort

Donnes moi la main

En dansant le calypso, 'apocalypse calypso
Dansons le calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique

Ou est la Calypso ? Apocalypse Calypso

ce calypso apocalyptique

Calypso, calypso,  calypso apocalyptique

Ta peau, ma peau, le ciel à flots, moi dans ton dos
On s'embrasse dans les flammes

Je serre ton corps si fort

Donnes moi la main

En dansant le calypso, apocalypse calypso
Dansons le calypso, ce calypso apocalyptique

Ou est la Calypso ? Apocalypse Calypso

ce calypso apocalyptique

Calypso, calypso, calypso apocalyptique (2x)

And speaking about double meanings...... I think that all  these lyrics  can describe the calypso danse ( remember that he promised a "post apocalypse ball" tour ) and ....well , you know what ....:wink2:

Edited by carafon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, carafon said:

Btw I also understood "defaits cette danse" 

Me too. Like, renew the "calypso dance", makes it something new, don' care of the consequences... The two are plausible, in fact. Why it's so hard even for us french ?? :lol3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Presci1108 said:

Why it's so hard even for us french ?? :lol3:

Because it’s Mika :lol3:

I’m actually very relieved to hear it’s also hard for native French speakers. Then again, I hadn’t expected any different: Mika is a master in keeping it open to interpretation and that is exactly what he did. And it’s provoking, which is also what he is good at. This time not with dark lyrics and happy tunes, but he’s going the path of explicit wording (with still very much double meaning) and mellow tunes. 

I was not immediately hooked at a first listen, but for some reason I cannot stop listening to it, even if I am fully aware of the lyrics. It’s hypnotizing. 

• Like 5

@mellody You're not the only one not thrilled by this song.  It's not what I was expecting from the title, and even after listening to it a few times I'm not overwhelmed by it (musically or lyrically).  But, as you say, maybe it will be different live.

I guess I was hoping for something more upbeat and edgy.  This is more like Apocalypse Slow Dance than Apocalypse Calypso.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, silver said:

@mellody You're not the only one not thrilled by this song.  It's not what I was expecting from the title, and even after listening to it a few times I'm not overwhelmed by it (musically or lyrically).  But, as you say, maybe it will be different live.

I guess I was hoping for something more upbeat and edgy.  This is more like Apocalypse Slow Dance than Apocalypse Calypso.

yes maybe...

6 hours ago, L'inconnue35 said:

For the lyrics 🔞

The second meaning is more poetic than the first one 🤣

The place where WE place the ponctuation reveals what WE have in mind  .....:naughty:

Edited by carafon
  • Haha 4

I'm known as being very critical when it comes to music, but I have to say that melodically I like it much more than C'est la vie. I never have high expectations based on a title or anything, so maybe that's why I loved it at first listen :)

Personally I don't have a problem with explicit lyrics, Mika knows how to make it poetic at the same time.

It's not my favourite song but I really love it!

I agree, however, that it would be better if it was more upbeat. But overall it's very dreamlike and soft, the melody fits the lyrics well.

I was also hoping that the French songs would boost my vocabulary, well ... now I can surely talk about some "inapproriate" stuff :lmfao: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I was not immediately hooked at a first listen, but for some reason I cannot stop listening to it, even if I am fully aware of the lyrics. It’s hypnotizing.

That is true, it definitely gets stuck in your head. And I like the melody / music more, the more I listen to it. Tho it still kind of drags along but at the same time feels always too short, this is such a weird combination. :blink:

As for the lyrics, I guess I won't mind anymore after a while, same as it was with Keep it Simple, I first was like :facepalm: and now this is my fave of all the duets he did. Some songs just take a while to get used to them. :dunno_grin:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mellody said:

Hm, I guess I'm the only one then who isn't absolutely thrilled about this song. 🙈

Nah it's not my cup of tea either.

But actually for the opposite reason. I don't mind the lyrics but like c'est la vie I just don't find it interesting musically.

The lyrics I don't feel very strongly about probably because I don't speak French very well. And even if you understand a language you still have a different emotional attachment to words. Like I can talk about difficult or taboo topics much easier in English than in German because I don't have such a strong emotional connection to it. For example the word "gay" makes me cringe in German because I heard it being thrown around as an insult at school when I was growing up while in English the word doesn't have that negative connotation at all. Anyway I drifted off into linguistics again.

Even reading the translation of the song, I don't find it much filthier than some other songs. It's more explicit and less speaking through metaphors but tbh the ice cream metaphor is not hard to decipher and I almost find the images he creates with that song more graphic than just saying "we f***" :D

And I do like the general message of "When I'm close to you, I feel invincible and there's nothing that can drag me down not even the apocalypse".

I agree, the phrase "by making love we're resisting" could be interpreted two ways. One is "we're refusing to fall into despair and even in a very difficult situation, we make the most of it" which is very much in line with the song of course.

The other one (as someone pointed out) could refer to a form of queer resistance because being yourself and openly admitting to having sex is a form of rejecting social norms. That might not have anything to do with the song but since he's used that word in that sense before (the cape!) I wouldn't be too surprised if it's not a complete coincidence.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, mellody said:

Hm, I guess I'm the only one then who isn't absolutely thrilled about this song. 🙈 Even after listening to it a dozen more times and reading the lyrics. Tho it has started to grow on me a bit more - I mean, as I said, it's nice to listen to, but if I look for emotions this song could make me feel, it's mostly not good ones. The effects on Mika's voice for some parts, certain aspects of the music, the very explicit lyrics... I'm not complaining and I'm not surprised or shocked, I know that's Mika 100% (although when he said he'd open his heart on this album, I thought he meant his heart and not his pants (figuratively), but well, for most men that's the same, so... 🙈 :naughty:), it's just not really for me. I prefer the innuendos and sensuality without getting too explicit. But as Presci says, apparently it doesn't come across as vulgar in French, so that is something that kinda gets lost in translation for me. Anyway, it's ok, that's the good thing about French lyrics, I can just ignore their meaning, because I don't understand it, lol! :teehee: Or maybe I just need more time to get used to it.

However, I can understand why it's important to Mika to express things so explicitly, he doesn't want to hide, and shouldn't have to hide. And I'm happy for him that he doesn't feel he needs to. So I would certainly fully support and defend him and this song for that, if anyone attacked him for being too offensive.

I assume that I had expected more of the song a) to make up for the topic of "Apocalypse", that I was sceptical about from the start, so I had hoped for something where I could say "Wow I LOVE this!! " And also b) because it's kind of the "title track" of the tour - but just like Sanremo or also Tomorrow it's a song that, although surely nice to hear it live, it doesn't really "carry" a live show, like some of Mika's other songs do, or have the potential to do. It's not one to get people jumping and screaming, and not one to melt away (at least not for me). Then again, he could do something totally surprising in the live version that could completely change my mind about this, I know that recorded versions aren't the same as live versions. So well, I guess when I manage to leave my original expectations of this song behind, maybe I can be a bit more open to what it actually is. :dunno_grin:

Does it become clear in the lyrics if the song speaks more about "let's make love as if there was an apocalypse" (which, btw, reminds me of "Kiss me" by Dermot Kennedy, which Mika had in one of his playlists), or if it's rather "the apocalypse is coming, so we can make love without thinking about the consequences"? 

Good to know that it can have this meaning too, because that was my first thought, thinking of "les baisers perdus", where the noun means kisses - my translation tool only tells me the vulgar meaning of the verb baiser. 🙈

We'll have a LOT to discuss and sort out for this album, even if the lyrics are in the booklet and are correct, lol! :lmfao: Unless he delivers translations for every song but I'm sure he won't. :mf_rosetinted:

Well each time I get Gainsbourg vibes from Mika I love it. And his voice is so sweet and it's like my beloved Tomorrow (sexy lyrics, mellody to die for)  with a side of Last Party (wrap your against everybody because it's the end of the world concept and also the way the melllodu develops and takes you high and I can totally feel the resist with beauty and poetry vibe because this song is like Dancing with tears in my eyes and finding confort into the arms /love/physical presence/warmth of tge person you love and whom you love when the world outside is so harsh that love is the drug that keeps you going (as in Origin of Love) And love as the way to resist and stay alive even in the middle of a fire that destroys everything around you (Mika and his family losing their foundation especially Mika) but after mourning if you have survived you want to feel alive and be close to the ones you love and live more , as much as you can enjoy the good sides of life while you are still around to live. I really feel this so much in this song. A rage to live at the most, no pretence, just going for life. And I relate to that. Life is short and go for it. And also love conquers everything and can save everything. It's a pride song and a very sweet love declaration too. (To life, to one's lover) This song is so genuine and Mika is not afraid of life anymore as he sings in C'est la vie and encouraging everyone not to be. He also says look at me in both songs that's another similarity

I'm so glad we have MFC and this thread because that song moves me at many levels and I cried joyful tears and stayed awake all night listening to it. and I could talk about it for hours.I do blush when he sings "b♡♡♡♡♡" ("f♡♡♡) but his voice is so beautifully sweet that yes it can be a love word too and he has dared to do it so I admire him for breaking that music bareer. I know he also loves urban music and I do too and some rap love songs with rude words can be so heartfelt and I think the love vibe is there alive and kicking. Thank you for your mezmerizing Apocalypse Calypso Mika :bow: :cloud: :swoon:

• Like 10

1 hour ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Well each time I get Gainsbourg vibes from Mika I love it. And his voice is so sweet and it's like my beloved Tomorrow (sexy lyrics, mellody to die for)  with a side of Last Party (wrap your against everybody because it's the end of the world concept and also the way the melllodu develops and takes you high and I can totally feel the resist with beauty and poetry vibe because this song is like Dancing with tears in my eyes and finding confort into the arms /love/physical presence/warmth of tge person you love and whom you love when the world outside is so harsh that love is the drug that keeps you going (as in Origin of Love) And love as the way to resist and stay alive even in the middle of a fire that destroys everything around you (Mika and his family losing their foundation especially Mika) but after mourning if you have survived you want to feel alive and be close to the ones you love and live more , as much as you can enjoy the good sides of life while you are still around to live. I really feel this so much in this song. A rage to live at the most, no pretence, just going for life. And I relate to that. Life is short and go for it. And also love conquers everything and can save everything. It's a pride song and a very sweet love declaration too. (To life, to one's lover) This song is so genuine and Mika is not afraid of life anymore as he sings in C'est la vie and encouraging everyone not to be. He also says look at me in both songs that's another similarity

I'm so glad we have MFC and this thread because that song moves me at many levels and I cried joyful tears and stayed awake all night listening to it. and I could talk about it for hours.I do blush when he sings "b♡♡♡♡♡" ("f♡♡♡) but his voice is so beautifully sweet that yes it can be a love word too and he has dared to do it so I admire him for breaking that music bareer. I know he also loves urban music and I do too and some rap love songs with rude words can be so heartfelt and I think the love vibe is there alive and kicking. Thank you for your mezmerizing Apocalypse Calypso Mika :bow: :cloud: :swoon:

Thank you Anne for your point of view. I feel the same when I am listening to this song.

It's hard for me to put in words what I feel. I don't like to analyse word by word because the magic disappears.

You can't analyse the poetry this way.

And recently I think I am loosing more and more the necessity to express myself in words. But I feel much more inside.

I can see images in my head but I don't find words to describe them. And I see really beautiful sensual images while listening this song.  I would even like to see an animation video for it.

Like all Mika's lyrics there is never one layer. You can dig and dig and find new levels and dimensions. 

And we have as well this sounds and words play. Sort of repetitive "treat me like e yo-yo" or "c'est la vie". "Apocalypse calypso, calypso apocalyptic". And certain moment you stop hearing words. There are sounds creating the music.

As Mika said in one of his recent interviews for France Bleu that French language is more percussive than English.

He even is quoting Apocalypse Calypso lyrics in it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx0_RqkNJh6/

Maybe it's not a song for concerts. But there will be other 11 songs! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero said:

What if we've got it completely wrong and he's actually singing about his love of fish soup?

Bouillabaisse... :lustslow: :teehee:

Of course! :doh: Sex and food are the most important things for him, so it makes sense.  :naughty: :roftl:

3 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Well see, that's just the point I can't relate to, probably because sex is obviously far less significant to me than it is to him, and I don't primarily express love through physicality. That's no news to me, but a song that relies completely on sex to get a message like this across, without the possibility of interpreting much different things into it, is just not very relatable to me. Like, take "Tomorrow". The situation is clear, but he sings about kissing under the stars, and "if you say you'll be there tomorrow, I'll love you tomorrow". Or Ice Cream, it's very explicit too, but it's about a dream, about "I want...", with a fun side to it, like the laughing swimming pool. It's innuendos, you know what's going on but you can still make your own story out of it. While this one rather describes a very specific situation. And while I am able to enjoy it from an outside point of view, of being empathetic and happy for Mika, personally I don't feel this song. At least not yet. Maybe once I manage to focus on the less explicit parts like "look at me, take my hand", and the dancing. :dunno_grin: (tho the "Apocalypse" topic doesn't help to make me like the lyrics more 😅)

However, as I said, I enjoy listening to it nevertheless, it's a nice song... and there certainly are a bunch of Mika songs that mean nothing to me personally but that I still listen to. The only reason why this is bothering me in this case is because of my expectations. And maybe a little also because most people seem to love it, and it makes me feel a little disconnected that I can't share this emotion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, mellody said:

However, as I said, I enjoy listening to it nevertheless, it's a nice song... and there certainly are a bunch of Mika songs that mean nothing to me personally but that I still listen to. The only reason why this is bothering me in this case is because of my expectations. And maybe a little also because most people seem to love it, and it makes me feel a little disconnected that I can't share this emotion.

Well, there are certainly different levels of appreciation for each of his songs. There are songs of his that I tend to skip (GASP! I know! I’m such a bad fan :facepalm:), there are songs that just rip my heart open. And then there are songs that are right in between. For me that’s this song. It’s a mellow feel-good-song.

Although I do enjoy interpreting Mika’s songs to no end usually. This one being so explicit, it makes it a “oh, heehee! :teehee:“ song with a “let’s just dance and go with the flow” and “worry about it tomorrow (if there is a tomorrow, in the face of the apocalypse!)”. I kinda agree here with Anna, it’s just feeling no talking, which is basically what the lyrics are :biggrin2:, so I guess it fits, haha. 

• Like 4