New Member Support By Country

FREDDIESDOUBLE

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suzy..yeah if we have 3 of us at least for Canada! would be great!

Suzanne:) It is a massive country indeed! and we need at least 3 !

I think ellanorelle and Suzy will be good support and since I speak french, I can represent the east and/or Québec part of the country! And I'm always on MFC.....:roftl:

Furthermore...

For example, a newbie might want to know how to post or where to post, or may just want to ask a question but they don’t know how to. They may be too shy, or just so new to this whole thing that they don’t know where to start or who to talk to. A country rep may have the fact that they are there to offer help to everyone written in their signature or profile so they are easily identifiable. This person can then help anyone and answer any questions they may have. This may also help to curb pointless short threads with random questions or double posts. The FAQ section is available, but it seems some people don’t look at it.

ive actually had one or two newbies randomly asking me the same thing O.o

Great idea! many people don't understand/speak English that much but want to be updated with Mika news as well.

I would be glad to help the Italian MFCers :cheerful_h4h:

I think some of this is already happening in the individual language threads.

The thing is that threads drop down so fast that new members cannot see the threads from their countries.

I often skim/search for new Japanese people, and Miori-Mary started up a Japanese thread, but if the "volunteered" rep is not on every day, it is hard to keep track.

What we could do in addition to RBSky's suggestion is have a drop down country menu thingy in the brown bar up the top of the page that would be connected to the main thread for that country/langauge. Then everyone would end up in the right place. We could just add countries as people appear there.

Trouble is I have no technical skills like that. And I can only be a support person for the Japanese thread because even though I speak Japanese OK, my written Japanese sucks. Truly. :boxed:

the dropdown country menu is a great idea too! I wonder if it's possible and eventually easy to add..

This is a really great idea and I wish it was in place when I had joined, I still get lost in here now lol and there are things I still don't know how they work etc I don't for instance know what a trackback or w/e it is is for , so although I would like to offer help, I am afraid I still need help myself lol

I think that's a great idea ! I could do it for the french ppl !

I agree with the others, I think we should need more than 1 person because there might be too many newbies or the person taking care of it might not be here for a long time or something.

Just a question though,how should we proceed ? Some memebers might not go to the general chin wagging part or not even find their country thread. Perhaps the mods could tell the newbies the members corresponding to their country when they pm them to welcome them?:blink:

The people that are chosen to be country reps will ideally check the new members intro thread regularly. Here, they can welcome the new member and let them know if there is a thread for their country and direct them to that area.

It would also be good if they can keep an eye out for any people from their country and approach them and help make them feel welcome. ...Maybe introduce them to some of the other members from their country.

If someone doesn't post in the introduction area, hopefully they will come across their rep (e.g. by identfying them by their signature) when reading through posts in threads. Or, something could be set up on the front page of the website listing the reps.

Further to the welcoming of newbies...

Each country rep could be instrumental in organising fan get-togethers at Mika concerts (or other fan-only gatherings/events).

They could help rally fans together, and organise a meeting place before/after Mika concerts.

They could help the fan club by actively promoting it with signs and t-shirts at Mika concerts, and distributing MFC badges/flashing hearts etc.

People who attend Mika concerts may have no idea about the MFC. This is an ideal opportunity for the country reps to get out there among the waiting crowd and spread the word.

One of the biggest assets of this fan club is its sense of community spirit and the friendships people share. By doing these things, we can hopefully help it reach its full potential.

The fan club is gaining more and more members every day. I feel it would be good to have a certain person who can be contacted by anyone in their country so they can find out information… I guess sort of like a team leader. For example, a newbie may have just joined and they don’t know much about how things work on the forum. This rep can ensure that people from their country are introduced to other people in that country so that they can fit in and make friends (particularly good for those that only speak one language and very limited English). The rep can also report on Mika goings-on in their country, whether it be gigs, fan club get togethers, Mika on the tv... basically right down to just making sure everyone is included in what is happening on the forum.

If you would like to be involved please post in here

Well, I'll certainly volunteer for the US -- I've actually been sending

either PMs or posting in the Introductions thread to all newbies, pointing

out the site FAQ and the Mika FAQ, as well as the names of the mods

and admins. I think something like that should be auto-generated to all

newbies when they sign up, actually, along with the welcome post that

mikablog sends out. Perhaps we could add links

to the non-English speaking threads along with that, since we have

SO many members from all over the world!

Great idea, RS! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

i have been approached by some italians in the past months, but some lost her way...maybe language is really a hindrance, and they preferred to join local forums...but if we make an effort, they might feel at home here too!

...anyway, the rep cannot be a full time translator, so the existence of country threads is a good option! and must be fully advertised welcoming them.

Do we think more than one per country ?? seems a good idea:thumb_yello:

Depends on the country and how many fans come from there... I understand having more than one for England or the US... but not for Oz...

well i wouldnt mind representing England lol *unless someone already said they'll do it?* but I think Freddie or Steph should...*steph is from england, right?* since they're mods....but maybe that job is already big enough for you? lol ^_^

I think it might be too much for the four mods (FD, Deb, Happikali and myself) to do that as well... don't think Oz needs 3 people representing it! :biggrin2:

I do think RBSKY would be a great ambassador for the land Down Under! :thumb_yello:

I'd like to be in charge for the Belgians... I speak both national languages so it won't be a problem.:thumb_yello:

What about German niki? We have three languages you know :lmao:

actually we should have three people for belgium then... the french one, the dutch one and the german one.... :fisch: