Mika's Personal Life

lollipop_monkey

WHAT IF... he's a reverse Billy Brown? What if he was gay throughout his childhood/early teens, then temporarily thought he was straight, did some investigation (Mika, if you're reading this, stop laughing your gay little curls off.:sneaky2: ) and was like "NOPE, still gay."

HAHAHAHAHA you're funny :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MANA, aren't you proud of me, Mana? I didn't start a single fight! Mana, MANA listen to me, aren't you proud? *tugs shirt* MANA, I didn't start a single argument! not one! Look at how many arguments I started! *holds up fist* NONE! That's zero! No fingers, no fights! Mana, aren't you proud?! HMMM?!

SO proud! You didn't call anyone a douchebag, or tell anyone that their mama's so dumb she went to a football game and thought a "quarterback" was a refund.

I baked this 'specially for you!

cupcakecopy.jpg

Seriously though, it's great that we've managed to think and share and all that jazz, without any fights or hurt feelings. Let's keep this thread open! :yay:

SO proud! You didn't call anyone a douchebag, or tell anyone that their mama's so dumb she went to a football game and thought a "quarterback" was a refund.

I baked this 'specially for you!

cupcakecopy.jpg

Seriously though, it's great that we've managed to think and share and all that jazz, without any fights or hurt feelings. Let's keep this thread open! :yay:

HOLY HELL, A CUPCAKE!

I want to smash it in my face like a 2 year old!

I know! I was so surprised that I made it 20 pages without calling someone a 'douchebag'! and I use that word ALOT!

This is a long post but there are quite a few points that I would like to raise and quite a few stereotypes that I would like to dispel.

it doesn’t matter if WE discuss it, just that Mika HIMSELF doesn’t want to discuss it.

I share that view.

I wish that people would actually listen to what Mika has said about the topic instead of making up their own rules: he has said that people have the right to ask him what is his sexuality and he has the right to refuse to tell them. Therefore other people speculating is perfectly fine by Mika, he just doesn't have to confirm or deny anything. THAT is what should be our rule, what the man himself has said.

With regards to his family, I think it's really a simple matter: if it's not public (i.e. they didn't knowingly put it out there or were aware that it would be made public) then don't post it on a public forum. That's the rule we follow in our daily lives with our friends and family so why should we treat Mika's friends and family any differently?

There always has been an "I don't care" position on his sexuality; most people on here agree with that, which I take to mean that regardless of his sexual orientation, it wouldn’t affect their appreciation for his music.

It's beyond that now, "we don't care" is no longer just "we love his music no matter what his sexuality is" it's become "don't talk about his sexuality"…

when i post things concerning this matter i get people say "you know we dont care" who the hell is we? noone can speak for me, and noone can speak for mika.

A very good point. Just because the "I don't care" philosophy is popular it doesn't mean that everyone follows it and it is no one's place to tell another person whether they should or should not care.

So are so many other subjects that we discuss incessantly on here. What is the difference between discussing whether Mika waxes his stomach and discussing his sexuality? I'll bet that if he were ever asked if he performed any hair removal in an interview, he would dance around it and not answer, just like he would his sexuality.

Precisely. His sexuality is just one more topic that we discuss. Everyone says that what his sexuality is doesn't matter and that "we don't care" well then if that was truly the case you'd treat discussion of his sexuality like any other topic.

he appears on the covers of magazines like “Out” and seems friendly with Perez Hilton who called him “Gay Gay Gay” ages ago

That would be a bit naïve of Mika to think that people wouldn't talk about his sexuality if he wasn't up-front about it.

He does contradic himself a lot on this subject (as with everything else), I think he most certainly must want people to speculate, he starts the speculations himself and not just by singing in a high voice as someone suggested. It's not just about gay stereotypes, or even about singing about Billy Brown. He has made a lot of choices and statements that cause people to speculate and he seems to do things for a reason, so he must want the speculation

The rumours started from stereotyping I'm sure, but then again he created his own image and he choses what to say in interviews - He chooses to play Dolly Parton before his show etc. I'm sure he knows the stereotypes and he's using them! Sure, he might just be a straight guy liking some stereotypical gay things, but if he wanted to avoid speculation, then he would have toned it down, cause he seems very aware of how he builds his career! Also when you appear in mags like Out and Attitude, then you want people to speculate - He chose to appear in those mags, so he most certainly wants to keep it going!

I agree entirely. Other people speculating an discussing his sexuality isn’t the problem, Mika doesn’t mind it and in some ways deliberately encourages it as pointed out in the above posts, it’s him discussing it with the public that is the issue.

Why keep on discussing over and over again? I just don't see the point in it...

I'd like to point out that Mika gains new fans everyday and they naturally also want to bounce their ideas off of other fans to get feedback. So just because someone has been around longer than others and has discussed the topic to death it doesn't mean that they should snub people who haven't.

Ahh yes! I forgot how he turns out straight again Which makes me think he was sexually confused at one point in his life.. the thing is though, in the end of the song the last verse is "Then Bill Brown fell in love with another man".. ?

On the matter of Billy Brown, all I have to say is that Billy is clearly bisexual. Many a gay man marries and has children but after his homosexual affair he found a girlie. It's not a matter of being "straight" then "gay" then "straight" again, bisexuality is a sexuality in it's own right independent of gay and straight and not a combination of the two.

Me thinks Billy Brown is a tad confuddled

Another bisexual stereotype that frustrates me. WHY does a person have to love only men or only women and NOT both? WHY is anyone who does love both labelled as 'confused', or even worse 'just a phase'. It's not just straight people that have that stereotype, gay people also. Hmmmf!

Bands and artists that "come out" are, sadly, forever known by their sexual status. George Michael is a GAY artist, Elton John is a GAY artist, the Scissor Sisters have GAY members, the Village People were GAY, and if Mika were to just come out and say, "I'm gay," like ole Lance Bass (who, of course, is now GAY Lance), he would be known as Mika, a GAY artist. I think that that is EXACTLY what he's trying to avoid, not the fact that he is gay. It's the whole, over-spoken-word called "pigeonholing."

It may in part be a matter of not wanting to be pigeonholed. It may also be in part that he may not feel that "coming out" is necessary. Many gay and bi people think that "coming out" is overrated and they live their lives free and true to themselves without feeling the need to explicitly state their sexuality (which may or not be Mika's approach). I recently made that very same point in the Gay Thread.

(By the way, I think that more people should read the Gay Thread. While a lot of it is off-topic chit-chat like the rest of the forum, a few very important and topical issues have been discussed by not only gay and bi MFCers but also straight MFCers with an open mind.)

Let's face it we are in Modern Times where it doesn't matter what your sexual preference is anymore! A LOT of people are Bi nowadays. You fall in love with the person not their gender!

So far that has been the most fair assessment of bisexuality that I’ve seen in this thread so far. Kudos to you.

i dont think sexuality should be a sensitive matter, maybe it should be private, but not sensitive. knowing mika, he is not uncomfortable with his sexuality.

I agree, far too many people are far too sensitive about this topic.

And one only has to read through the lyrics to "Stuck in the Middle" to know that Mika is a man who is very sure of himself: "my troops are bigger than yours, 'cause you'll never stand my fight" and "this is who I am".

And doesn't he say something in an interview about "his butcher in London"? :mf_rosetinted:

Yeah, I have heard in a few interviews etc where he spoke about eating meat (and have heard the spag & meatballs were his fav dish before)

Another bisexual stereotype that frustrates me. WHY does a person have to love only men or only women and NOT both? WHY is anyone who does love both labelled as 'confused', or even worse 'just a phase'. It's not just straight people that have that stereotype, gay people also. Hmmmf!

That's not at all what I meant, and if that's the message that came through, then I appologize. What I meant is that the certain Billy Brown is clearly a character who doesn't know what he wants, and/ or is in denial of his own sexuality. Whoever he meets can persuade him into being another sexual orientation than he is at the time of meeting them, and he can't seem to accept the fact that he goes both ways himself. Or at least that's what I'm reading into that song, hence; he's confused. Trust me, I'm not the one to call bi-sexuality confusion.

That's not at all what I meant, and if that's the message that came through, then I appologize. What I meant is that the certain Billy Brown is clearly a character who doesn't know what he wants, and/ or is in denial of his own sexuality. Whoever he meets can persuade him into being another sexual orientation than he is at the time of meeting them, and he can't seem to accept the fact that he goes both ways himself. Or at least that's what I'm reading into that song, hence; he's confused. Trust me, I'm not the one to call bi-sexuality confusion.

To me it sounds like you're saying that he confusedly switched between straight and gay instead of that he is bisexual independent of heterosexuality and homosexuality. If that's not what you're saying then I apologise for being blunt, that's just how I interpret what you're saying.

To me it sounds like you're saying that he confusedly switched between straight and gay instead of that he is bisexual independent of heterosexuality and homosexuality. If that's not what you're saying then I apologise for being blunt, that's just how I interpret what you're saying.

See, English isn't my first language so that might be the problem..

I think he himself doesn't accept the fact, or realize that he is bi and.. do you know what I mean? I think HE thinks that he must be either straight or gay, so when he meets someone new who rocks his world, then they confuse him because HE doesn't know better... god, I wish I could make myself write the thoughts that are so clear in my head :blush-anim-cl:

See, English isn't my first language so that might be the problem..

I think he himself doesn't accept the fact, or realize that he is bi and.. do you know what I mean? I think HE thinks that he must be either straight or gay, so when he meets someone new who rocks his world, then they confuse him because HE doesn't know better... god, I wish I could make myself write the thoughts that are so clear in my head :blush-anim-cl:

Don't worry, your English is excellent, I completely get what you mean. I just don't see any indication of it in the song, except from the fact that he had a break down and that may or may not indicate that he was an unstable, confused person. Considering that he was married to a woman for a very long period of time then later had an 'awakening' with his lover, his awakening may have confused him as to whether he was straight or gay but it's also possible that after his awakening he knew straight away (mind the unintentional pun) that he is bi. The song deals solely with what happened to Billy Brown and not his thoughts or feelings so one can't really know what sexuality (or sexualities) he identified with in his mind.

Whether Billy Brown is partly or completely autobiographical or not at all, it shows a bit about Mika's personality: he said that he wonders why no one has ever written a song like it and that he thinks that the story is a fantastic little saga - it shows that he's the dramatic soap opera type but more importantly it shows that he's comfortable with the concept of sexual ambiguity, crossing or even blurring lines and bending the rules of sex. (I'll add that these concepts are regardless of what his actual sexual orientation is.)

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TODAY TO VOTE FOR GRACE KELLY AS THE UK RECORD OF THE YEAR. THE VOTING ENDS AT 9AM TOMORROW MORNING (UK TIME) AND WE'VE BEEN SO CLOSE BUT THE LEONA GANG HAVE BEEN WORKING HARD OVER NIGHT AND THERE'S 2% TO GAIN NOW!!

I think people should be able to discuss what they want, but you mods should of course close the inappropriate threads. I mean, no nudes and that kind of things. :naughty:

As long as we keep a nice atmosphere I think we should be allowed to talk about it. Talk about everything concerning Mika.

I love freedom of speech, Im danish and we have often suffered under some stupid misunderstandings, that's why I wont let a forum decide what I can discuss or chat about.

I believe in absolute freedom of speech, but I also believe in respecting people's wishes (which may seem like a contradiction but it's not if I explain it). If Mika doesn't want us to discuss something I won't discuss it but that's not because it's an order (freedom of speech means that I can say whatever I want whether Mika likes it or not) but because I respect him and wouldn't want to go against his wishes. If someone decides to say something against what Mika wishes, I wouldn't tell them off because they have the right to say whatever they want regardless of whether Mika doesn't like it. However, I doubt that the mods here believe in absolute freedom of speech as I do and perhaps they can't because in the end they have to ensure that this forum is a place suitable for everyone.

BUT the most important point of all that renders the entire discussion useless is the fact that he HASN'T said that we shouldn't discuss or speculate, merely that HE won't say anything publicly about some topics. He goes even further than that and has through his actions knowlingly encouraged speculation. The concept of "don't discuss Mika's sexuality", for one, seems to me to go AGAINST what he himself has said on the topic: we have the right to question and he has the right to not answer.

I think that people being uptight about the topic has more to do with homophobia and unwillingness to let go of fantasies rather than upholding Mika's wishes since many people have CLEARLY chosen to ignore what Mika himself has said.

...but i guess mika doesn't mind others talking bout his personal life, as long as he doesn't have to comment on it. i mean c'mon, there's a thread about his underwear on here, how much worse can it get?! :naughty:

AHEM! That's mine. :mf_rosetinted: And yes, it can be worse. Just look at Yuppymunchs thread :naughty:

Scut: Yep. It's not against his wishes so lets talk about it. I agree on the homophobia-kind-of-things, people jus don't want thim to be gay. I do, but a lot of people wouldn't like it.

Thanks for this thread. I really think that, if people are mature about it, it can do a bit of good. :thumb_yello:

Mika's sexuality: Personally, I don't have a problem with discussion about it, as long as it is done in a mature manner, and not "OMGZ is Mika gay!?!" I don't see what the big deal is, to be honest. I know that Mika doesn't want to talk about it himself, but what's wrong with others discussing it? Homosexuality is a taboo subject to begin with, and for some reason or another, unbeknownst to me, a lot of people are uncomfortable discussing it, even in mature, adult manners. If you sit and think about it, why is it wrong to talk about Mika's sexuality? Of course, some may say "it's irrelevant," "who cares?" and all of that, but of course it is. So are so many other subjects that we discuss incessantly on here. What is the difference between discussing whether Mika waxes his stomach and discussing his sexuality? I'll bet that if he were ever asked if he performed any hair removal in an interview, he would dance around it and not answer, just like he would his sexuality. Just because HE won't talk about something doesn't mean that we shouldn't be allowed to. There's a difference between talking about his sexuality in an adult way, and talking about it in a childish, "Does he have a boyfriend?!?!?" way. It's just a discussion. I don't understand why it's so "off-limits" in the first place. It kind of annoys me to pop into a thread and as soon as someone asks the gay question, the thread is locked and they are told, almost autonomously: "We are not allowed to discuss this here."

Family: I think that there definitely should be limits to this. Of course people are going to be curious, and I'll admit that I was at first, but I just think that it should be watched closely. I don't think that there is a problem at all discussing them as far as ages, looks (from PUBLIC photos), etc. go, but there is a fine line between "okay" and "too much" as far as I'm concerned. I am most definitely against posting Facebook and personal photos. People need to realize that these are NORMAL people, not celebrities. They have their friends and their social networking profiles just like all of us. It particularly bothers me with Zuleika and Fortune. They are not in the spotlight at all. Paloma and Yasmine have been in a couple of videos, there was a professional photo of Mika and Yasmine, and they have a large part in his career when it comes to the artwork and fashion. Zuleika has performed on stage, and I think that the video of that is perfectly fine to post, because it was a public event, but she is still not in the public eye. Fortune, on the other hand, has NEVER been in the public eye like that. I really do not like photos of him being posted on here in any way, shape or form unless it happens to be a professional photo, because, on top of everything, he is only fifteen. He is a child and underage. I do not think that it is ethically right to post Facebook photos of someone that you do not know on a public forum for others to look at and scrutinize, regardless to whether they are a sibling of a celebrity or not, particularly when they are so young. I just think: If you happen to find a photo of a Penniman online and it was taken by someone who is not a professional photographer, do not speak of it or post it. You must realize that these are teenagers and young adults with LIVES. They have their friends and their everyday lives just like all of us, and I think that, just like with anyone, personal photos should not be posted without permission.

I agree with you 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Me too. And that means he might be gay. Or bi. Or even straight.

And why is homosexuality even a taboo? My best friend confessed to me when she found out that she likes girls. It's only in weird countries and the old generations who don't like it. Or, that how I feel.

It's not a taboo... as I said yesterday, the thing is we don't know, and won't know unless he decides to tell us. So I don't think endless debates and far-fetched analysis of his lyrics, clothes, body language or whatever might help... Why not discuss something a bit more interesting than his sexual life from time to time? (His music , maybe ? :bleh: )

I agree with Hannah:thumb_yello:

We actually should be able to discuss his sexuality in a way, but the problem is, most threads started about it are started in a childish way, like: Omfg people r sayin hes gay is he is he is he?

About his family, if it are professional photos, if they appear in public, we shouldn't hide under the table pretending we never saw them. If they didn't want to be seen, they probably wouldn't have appeared in public right?

I want him to be himself! ;)

I think that he is being true to himself, he just doesn't feel the need to tell the whole world about it.

Like I said before, I think that publicly "coming out" is overrated. Like Jodie Foster, she's lived with her female partner for 15 years and didn't keep that fact a secret yet only a few days ago did she for the first time publicly state her sexuality. I like to think that we're beyond the point that a person feels obliged to tell society exactly what they are, perhaps it was necessary in a time where one had to in order to meet other similarly out people or to increase the awareness and visibility of homosexuality/bisexuality in order to increase its acceptance. Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking on the part of a bi female who doesn't feel that she owes society anything.

Why not discuss something a bit more interesting than his sexual life from time to time?

But like I said, new people who are naturally curious about Mika's sexuality (since he has knowldongly encouraged speculation through his actions) join all the time so it's not fair to them to say "we've discussed this topic to death so you're not allowed to discuss it anymore".