The Pet thread

soangel

My poor Martha is staying overnight in the vets hospital for observation and support. 🥺 She's been off color for a couple of days, vomiting, not eating, refusing treats... vet was concerned that she was dehydrated and lost a lot of weight, so referred her to the hospital to get IV fluids in her and run blood tests.

Fortunately the bloods came back okay (she does have kidney disease so that always my primary fear, but there's no change there, thank goodness), thyroid fine, cell count within parameters, glucose okay, no sign of infection. They're keeping her in to run the fluids and try to get her eating something. They also want to do a 2nd blood test tomorrow to check for pancreatitis. Apparently its very common in cats. The vet said they can't do it today as Martha has made it quite clear that she's had enough of being handled. 😬🤭

Strange not having her in the house. 🙁

• Sad 6

@Hero I hope Martha recovers soon and I'm sure she'll be back with you in no time :hug:

It is always strange when a pet's not home, makes a house feel empty.

Got to say Martha is one of my favourite names too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hero said:

My poor Martha is staying overnight in the vets hospital for observation and support. 🥺 She's been off color for a couple of days, vomiting, not eating, refusing treats... vet was concerned that she was dehydrated and lost a lot of weight, so referred her to the hospital to get IV fluids in her and run blood tests.

Fortunately the bloods came back okay (she does have kidney disease so that always my primary fear, but there's no change there, thank goodness), thyroid fine, cell count within parameters, glucose okay, no sign of infection. They're keeping her in to run the fluids and try to get her eating something. They also want to do a 2nd blood test tomorrow to check for pancreatitis. Apparently its very common in cats. The vet said they can't do it today as Martha has made it quite clear that she's had enough of being handled. 😬🤭

Strange not having her in the house. 🙁

I hope she recovers soon.  My dogs sometimes go through phases of not eating for a couple of days, then it's back to normal.  But dehydration is a problem with vomiting.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Hero said:

she does have kidney disease so that always my primary fear

That's the most common health problem with cats, I guess... I found out from my vet that there's a new supplement that helps with kidney disease for cats and dogs, it's called AminAvast. Maybe you can ask your vet about it.

And if it's pancreatitis, there's a treatment for that, a friend of mine is having two cats with this problem, it's quite simple to keep it under control. 

I hope Martha will be back home soon :crossed:

• Like 3

She's still in the hospital. 

Unfortunately the abdominal scan this morning showed some concerns. The vet believes she has lymphoma. 😭 The scan showed a thickened wall of the small intestine, and the folds in the wall were wrong, plus the lymph nodes near the intestine are raised, which are all typical indicators. There is a small possibility that it is inflammatory bowel syndrome, but with the scan results plus the vomiting and weight loss they are 95% sure. They are doing aspiration this afternoon (using an ultra-fine needle guided by ultrasound to collect some cells) which will be sent away for analysis. Once we know what it is we can consider the best way forward. Given her age, and how much she hates being handled and going to the vets which stresses her out, we're currently leaning towards palliative care at home. Depending on how she responds, it could be a few weeks, or a few months.

My little girl. :crybaby:

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, Hero said:

Unfortunately the abdominal scan this morning showed some concerns. The vet believes she has lymphoma. 😭 The scan showed a thickened wall of the small intestine, and the folds in the wall were wrong, plus the lymph nodes near the intestine are raised, which are all typical indicators. There is a small possibility that it is inflammatory bowel syndrome, but with the scan results plus the vomiting and weight loss they are 95% sure. They are doing aspiration this afternoon (using an ultra-fine needle guided by ultrasound to collect some cells) which will be sent away for analysis. Once we know what it is we can consider the best way forward. Given her age, and how much she hates being handled and going to the vets which stresses her out, we're currently leaning towards palliative care at home. Depending on how she responds, it could be a few weeks, or a few months.

Ohhh I'm so sorry.  I hope they spare her pain and she doesn't suffer too much. Hughs :hug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hero said:

I am so sorry reading this :mellow: I can imagine how you feel...

I am sending you a big hug hoping Martha will feel better whatever the result of analysis is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had an update. She's a bit brighter, and is eating again, thank goodness. Vet wasn't able to do the aspiration from the enlarged nodes, but did manage to get some cells from her spleen, which will be sent for analysis. They also took another blood sample to check for vitamin deficiency, particularly B12, which might be a contributing factor for the lethargy, vomiting and weight loss. Because Martha's a bit brighter and seems to be responding, and there is still a small possibility of inflammatory bowel syndrome, the vet advised holding off from starting her on steroids (part of her recommended lymphoma treatment plan) as if we do want to do a biopsy they can interfere with the results. But for now she's brighter and responding 😀, so if she's stable and no deterioration in the morning, the vet is happy for her to come home while we get the lab results back, then follow up in a week to agree a care plan for her. She'll be sent home with special food, an appetite stimulant, and some anti-sickness medicine so I can keep her eating. 

She's coming home, my little girl is coming home... I can cuddle her again... 🥰🙏💕

• Like 5

And thank god for pet insurance. I'll have a bill tomorrow for about £2000. It'll have to go on the credit carnations, but at least I can reclaim most of it. 

Edited by Hero
LOL that should say credit card. I don't know what credit carnations are but I like the idea! 🌸🌼
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Hero said:

It'll have to go on the credit carnations, but at least I can reclaim most of it. 

If only we could pay for things with flowers! 

It would make things so much easier. 😁

Glad to hear Martha's feeling a little brighter 😊

Edited by TinyLove_CJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hero said:

She's home. Purring like mad and chowing her prescription food like she's not been fed for a week. :fangurl:

So glad to hear she's home and eating again!

I do wonder if some pets exaggerate how poorly they are just to get all the extra attention and fuss.

Give her an ear scratch from me! 😊

• Like 2

Well, after coming home bright and bushy tailed and wolfing down some food, she's now back to not wanting food, not drinking, drooling, curled up, no interest. Doesn't help that I can't get her to take the anti sickness pill, so she's not interested in eating. 

• Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Hero said:

Well, after coming home bright and bushy tailed and wolfing down some food, she's now back to not wanting food, not drinking, drooling, curled up, no interest. Doesn't help that I can't get her to take the anti sickness pill, so she's not interested in eating. 

:sad:

Let's hope the test results give an idea of what is wrong with her. 

Well, after that emotional roller coaster of a week, we had a follow up at the vets for the results of the test and... THEY NO LONGER THINK ITS CANCER!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 

The aspiration test was inconclusive, but given how well she's been eating, drinking, pooping, etc and being better in herself, the team consulted and now believe it is inflammatory bowel syndrome, which can be managed by diet. So we're keeping her on the hypoallergenic biscuits for now, and no need to put her on steroids. She was also very low in vitamin B12, which also causes lethargy and sickness, so they've started a course of injections, one a week for the next 6 weeks. 

What a relief! 😌🙏

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Hero said:

Well, after that emotional roller coaster of a week, we had a follow up at the vets for the results of the test and... THEY NO LONGER THINK ITS CANCER!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 

The aspiration test was inconclusive, but given how well she's been eating, drinking, pooping, etc and being better in herself, the team consulted and now believe it is inflammatory bowel syndrome, which can be managed by diet. So we're keeping her on the hypoallergenic biscuits for now, and no need to put her on steroids. She was also very low in vitamin B12, which also causes lethargy and sickness, so they've started a course of injections, one a week for the next 6 weeks. 

What a relief! 😌🙏

That's great news! :yay:

• Like 2

@Hero you must be so relieved! Thank goodness it's nothing serious and can be managed! I hope Martha continues to do well but I hope you're ok too, I know how stressful it is when a pet's unwell, take some time to just relax! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero said:

What a relief! 😌🙏

Awww those are great news. I'm happy for you and also for Martha.   :hug:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hero said:

What a relief! 😌🙏

I'm really happy for you and Martha. :hug:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hero said:

What a relief! 😌🙏

Oof! A last good news!!!!!

Now when you know what it can be it will be quick to put her back on her feet (paws) .

Happy Cat GIF by Chubbiverse

• Like 3