mikashave.jpg

Exclusive - Mika's Second Coming

A new EP this month and album in September aim to reveal the pop peacock's bleak side. But there is still room for sex-crazed furry animals....

Mika is preparing the follow-up to 2007's platinum-selling Life In Cartoon Motion, promising a "coming-of-age" album that marries eclectic, flamboyant pop with "dark" lyrical themes. As yet untitled, it's scheduled for release in September and will be prepared with a four track EP.

"The first record dealt with childhood", he says between sessions in Rocket Carousel Studios in Los Angeles. "This time I decided to age the world and characters I'd been writing about by 10 years. I wanted this record to sound like how I felt when I was 16 to 17 - sometimes it sounds big and out of control, other times it feels like a comfortable hug".

Having finished his world tour with a show in Lebanon, the singer songwriter began work on the album in London's Olympic Studios in June 2008, and began sketching a selection of "bleak fairy tales", some of which will be released on 25th May as the Songs For Sorrow EP.

"The lyrics are dark and emotional. There's a track called Toy Boy, which is about a toy that gets used and abused by different owners. I guess these songs are the antidote to my first album."

Despite the despondent lyrics, Mika's music remains decidedly flamboyant, inspired as it is by Disney soundtracks, '50s country starlet Patti Page and the hefty pop anthems of '80s artists such as Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

"I wanted to make an unashamed pop record," he says. "I became obsessed with Disney soundtracks from the '50s, so I decided to make my own."

Mika moved into Rocket Carousel in September 2008, turning an album's worth of demos into polished tracks with Life In Cartoon Motion producer Greg Wells. The duo clearly had grand designs: Blame It On The Girls has Cuban pianos and a swaggering, hip-hop production, while We Are Golden bolts the Andrae Crouch choir (who sang Madonna's Like A Prayer) to a Pink Floyd-inspired groove.

With a world tour planned to promote the Songs For Sorrow EP this summer and a number of festival appearances already pencilled in, 2009 looks to be another busy year. However, the gimmicks and dancing bears that marked his first world tour are due for an overhaul.

"People thought I was putting on a kid's show," he says. "But really, the animals were inspired by a sexual craze called plushing - people getting dressed up in furry animal costumes and having sex with one another. My animals came on stage, hung out and started drinking. Then they had an orgy. But I don't care whether people get it or not. I'm a Marmite artist - people love me or hate me."

Track By Track

Blame It On The Girls

This sounds like No Doubt. It's about a wealthy, handsome boy who has everything, yet pretends to be miserable.

We are Golden

It's big sounding and aggressive, but in a good way. It's got a gospel choir on it and a kids choir, but unlike the first record, they are not singing sweetly, they're screaming on top of their lungs.

Rain

This is an unapologetic '80s pop record. I bumped into producer Stuart Prince while he was working with the Killers at Olympic Studios. He helped me program this. It reminded him of ABBA and Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Toy Boy

This has a full orchestra, like a Disney soundtrack, but the lyrics are intense and dark. Toy Boy is full of twiddling flutes and lush strings, but the melody is very mechanic, like a music box.

Edited by FREDDIESDOUBLE

A new EP this month and album in September aim to reveal the pop peacocks bleak side.But there is still room for sex-crazed furry animals....

Mika is preparing the follow up to 2007's platinum selling Life In Cartoon Motion,promising a "coming-of-age-album" that marries eclectri,flamboyant pop with "dark" lyrical themes.As yet untitled,it's scheduled for release in September and will be prepared with a four track EP.

"The first record dealt with childhood", he says between sessions in Rocket Carousel Studious in Los Angeles."This time I decided to age the world and character's I'd been writing about by 10 years.I wanted this record to sound like how I felt when I was 16 ot 17 - sometimes it sounds big and out of control,other times it feels like a comfortable hug".

Having finished is world tour with a show in Lebanon,the singer songwriter began work on the album in London's Olympic Studios in June 2008, and began sketching a selection of "bleak fairy tale", some of which will be released on 25th May as the Song For Sorry EP.

"The Lyrics are dark and emotional.There's a track called Toy Boy,which is about a toy that gets used and abused by different owners.I guess these songs are the antidote to my first album.

PART 2 TYPING NOW!!

freddie!!! did I tell you I love you lately..? :naughty::wub2:

thx HEAPS!!

what i needed!!

A new EP this month and album in September aim to reveal the pop peacocks bleak side.But there is still room for sex-crazed furry animals....

Having finished is world tour with a show in Lebanon,the singer songwriter began work on the album in London's Olympic Studios in June 2008, and began sketching a selection of "bleak fairy tale", some of which will be released on 25th May as the Song For Sorry EP.

Yaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!! :punk::punk::punk:

Great news!

Thanks Fred, waiting for part 2, hurry up!!! :naughty::roftl:

Despite the despondant lyrics,Mika's music remains decidely flamboyant,inspired as it is by Disney soundtracks,50's country starlet Patti Page and the hefty pop anthems of 80's artists such as Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

"I wanted to make an unshamed pop record",he says "I became obsessed with Disney soundtracks from the 50's,so I decided to make my own".

Mika moved into rocket Carousel in September 2008, turning an album's worth of demos into a polished tracks with Life In Cartoon Motion producer Greg Wells.The duo clearly had grand designs:Blame It On The Girls has cubian pianos and a swaggering,hip-hop production,while We Are Golden Bolts the Andrae Crouch (wgo sang Madonna's Like A Prayer) to a Pink Floyd inspired groove.

With a world tour planned to promote Songs For Sorrow EP this Summer and a number of festivals appearances already pencilled in,2009 looks to be another busy year.However,the gimmicks and dancing bears that marked his first world tour are due for an overhaul.

"People thought I was putting on a kid's show",he says."But really, the animals were inspired by a sexual craze called plushing - people getting dressed up in furry animal costumes and having sex with one another.My animals came on stage,hung out and started drinking.Then they had an orgy.But I dont care whether people get it or not.Im a marmite artist - people love me or hate me".

Mika is preparing the follow up to 2007's platinum selling Life In Cartoon Motion,promising a "coming-of-age-album" that marries eclectri,flamboyant pop with "dark" lyrical themes.As yet untitled,it's scheduled for release in September and will be prepared with a four track EP.

"The first record dealt with childhood", he says between sessions in Rocket Carousel Studious in Los Angeles."This time I decided to age the world and character's I'd been writing about by 10 years.I wanted this record to sound like how I felt when I was 16 ot 17 - sometimes it sounds big and out of control,other times it feels like a comfortable hug".

"The Lyrics are dark and emotional.There's a track called Toy Boy,which is about a toy that gets used and abused by different owners.I guess these songs are the antidote to my first album.

PART 2 TYPING NOW!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING FREDDO!!!! :mf_lustslow::wub2:

Can't wait for this!!!!!! Ooooh I'd SO like to have that number of Q!!!! :mf_lustslow:

Despite the despondant lyrics,Mika's music remains decidely flamboyant,inspired as it is by Disney soundtracks,50's country starlet Patti Page and the hefty pop anthems of 80's artists such as Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

"I wanted to make an unshamed pop record",he says "I became obsessed with Disney soundtracks from the 50's,so I decided to make my own".

Mika moved into rocket Carousel in September 2008, turning an album's worth of demos into a polished tracks with Life In Cartoon Motion producer Greg Wells.The duo clearly had grand designs:Blame It On The Girls has cubian pianos and a swaggering,hip-hop production,while We Are Golden Bolts the Andrae Crouch (wgo sang Madonna's Like A Prayer) to a Pink Floyd inspired groove.

With a world tour planned to promote Songs For Sorrow EP this Summer and a number of festivals appearances already pencilled in,2009 looks to be another busy year.However,the gimmicks and dancing bears that marked his first world tour are due for an overhaul.

"People thought I was putting on a kid's show",he says."But really, the animals were inspired by a sexual craze called plushing - people getting dressed up in furry animal costumes and having sex with one another.My animals came on stage,hung out and started drinking.Then they had an orgy.But I dont care whether people get it or not.Im a marmite artist - people love me or hate me".

!!!!!!!!!

YAYNESS!!! :mf_lustslow:

Can't think about the text itself right now, too excited :roftl:

:wub2:

There was an episode of CSI Las Vegas about that stuff:roftl:

I knew it. Bolt Down music. There's one for the apples. :ap_rosetinted:

Edited by babspanky