I'm afraid I have to agree on the labelling issue when it comes to referring to public people. When I think of Elton John, 'gay' is definitely among the tags attached to him inside my head. When my brain processes 'George Michael', surely 'gay' is one attribute that goes with it. Now, I wouldn't call myself overly interested in who shags who and it's certainly not anything I'd lose my sleep over, but it's like that. And then I never really actively followed their whereabouts. I'm aware of their music. They're great artists. They're both gay.

I suppose that, if other people's brains follow similar patterns than mine (which might not be the case :roftl:), Mika will be tagged as 'Mika. Gay.' by many of those who come across him like I come across Elton John or George Michael.

I'd have to lie if I said I had a lot of doubt before he got fed up with answering questions but not saying anything. But he's not an Elton neither George to me. I adore him on so many levels and I have a ****load of tags for Mika up my sleeve, many of which will never be spoken out loud or seen in cold print. Gay doesn't even make it into the top fifty there.

To be honest, I don't really get why the whole world and their dog are going Freudian these days. I really don't see the big deal in sexual identity made public. It's dealt with as if it was some sort of new discovery of mankind, while it's really just one aspect. I'm quite amazed at the sheer degree of importance attached to just that while we are so much more than hetero or gay or bi or whatever. I believe in the concept that what makes a personality is the sum of experiences and decisions that contain every life aspect. Not only sexuality.

And right now I really understand the benefit of refusal Mika was pracising all the time. I never thought it was that much of a big deal whether he's out or not. I realize now, it is, while reading some of the comments made by gays on his freshly announced bisexuality. I didn't think there was so much racism inside the gay community. Also, I'm getting fully aware of the concept of labels these days. Once you allow people to put you in a box, you're trapped in there. There's no way out. It will always be a question of being one of them or one of the others and apparently, especially in sexuality matters people tend to lose the big picture.

Well, it seems my brain does follow similar patterns to yours - at least partly - but is uncapable of describing what is inside it.:teehee:

So thanks for expressing it for me, too:blush-anim-cl:

:wink2:

Edited by suzie

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that, if other people's brains follow similar patterns than mine (which might not be the case :roftl:), Mika will be tagged as 'Mika. Gay.' by many of those who come across him like I come across Elton John or George Michael.

But the public tagged Mika gay 3 years ago and if he is in fact bisexual then he's labelled himself incorrectly by refusing to label himself at all. You can't avoid the labels by pretending they don't exist.

I believe in the concept that what makes a personality is the sum of experiences and decisions that contain every life aspect. Not only sexuality.

No one has ever said that it's ONLY sexuality. Sexuality is not the be-all-and-end-all therefore it's completely irrelevant? That makes no sense to me.

That's like saying there is no point in discussing the fact that Mika was bullied as a child because it does not constitute the sum of his experiences.

I don't even think the argument that Mika's sexuality is irrelevant to his music and therefore shouldn't be a matter of interest to us is valid anymore. He has said several times recently that it is evident in his lyrics and it's there for all to see. It's part of his personality and it's expressed in his music and I don't understand why everyone must pretend that they don't care about that when they spend hours poring over every word that comes out of his mouth on every other topic under the sun.

"Who cares? :dunno:"

Wasn't that our motto? :blink:

well, we don't care..most of us I think.

I don't care either, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested.

Now he's bi, and I 'don't care'...but I am very happy we finally have some confirmation.:wink2:

well, we don't care..most of us I think.

I don't care either, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested.

Now he's bi, and I 'don't care'...but I am very happy we finally have some confirmation.:wink2:

"I mean, I’ve never ever labeled myself. But having said that; I’ve never limited my life, I’ve never limited who I sleep with. So, whatever. Even if I was going out with a man right now, I still wouldn’t tell you. And I wouldn’t tell anyone. I mean, I would tell you though, as my friend, but not as a journalist, you know what I mean? So, I don’t know. Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me.’"

Humanity always likes to classify people and creatures anything and everything. I've always thought it made people feel safer if they can attribute a description to someone or something. I think it makes people feel safe and secure knowing they can label someone or something. I think that is why most people are so curious to know.

I adore Mika for many reasons. He is a good looking man mind you. . I don't know how anyone could not be attracted to him when in the same age group man or female. My appreciation for his music is first and foremost. The fact that he's purty is just a added bonus. The only way I or most of us will ever see him is in a fan-to awesome sauce Mika perspective anyway. The idea of being chatted up by him is inviting and that's why people like to know where they stand and if they have a chance. And that's my round about reasoning for why everyone makes such a fuss about it.

I'm surprised Mika never bugs the interviewer about where they stand. I can only imagine that it must be annoying to get asked that all the time. I know in my real life I get asked quite frequently but only because I do not date at all and people get very confused by that.

Well, now I guess I'll end my ramble now *shuffles off to finish my laundry*

Edited by CalicoSkies
type too fast a lost a word. fixed now thoguh :)

linde, i'm not interested and i'm not lying!

maybe because i'm old? :naughty:

really i am not, i prefer 100000 times reading him talking about his music/art/hobbies than about his sexuality, i don't perceive it as important..i simply cannot care less.

but if he decides to reveal something, ok, i'll take it, cause it's his will, as when he talks about the kind of beer he prefers..i cannot care less, but i read it among the other news he want us to know.

Why was it important for you to have the mag and the poster then? I don't understand.

Why is this piece of news so outstanding?

I'd rather get a copy of L'Express Styles...if only I could. :tears:

I'm surprised Mika never bugs the interviewer about where they stand. I can only imagine that it must be annoying to get asked that all the time. I know in my real life I get asked quite frequently but only because I do not date at all and people get very confused by that.

Well it's sort of his fault for keeping it a secret, and then writing questionable song lyrics to go with it. Journalists are just curious and doing there job, so Mika can't really get mad at them for something of his own doing.

Well it's sort of his fault for keeping it a secret, and then writing questionable song lyrics to go with it. Journalists are just curious and doing there job, so Mika can't really get mad at them for something of his own doing.

That's true. I don't think he is actually. I think he enjoys being coy about it. Though I would think the repetitiveness would be annoying just on a general perspective.Of course that's just purely speculation.

Thank you very much to sprk, the interviewer himself!:thumb_yello:

-------------------

Let’s say if you’re a 16-year-old guy, and you’re not sure about your sexuality, you should be as free as you want. You shouldn’t have to say ‘I’m gonna label myself in order to figure out what is going to make me happy in life’. Having a role model who makes you feel like it’s allright to do whatever you want, without the pressure of a label, I think that’s a good thing as well.

I have so much respect for this man..I HATE when the media tries to make him feel like he owes it to his gay fans to be an openly gay role model. People automatically assume that not wanting to label yourself means you're scared to "come out of the closet." As someone who does not identify with any sexuality-based label, I have often found it more socially discriminating to NOT label myself. Not claiming a sexual label is not a cop-out. :)

Edited by pattycakes

That's true. I don't think he is actually. I think he enjoys being coy about it. Though I would think the repetitiveness would be annoying just on a general perspective.Of course that's just purely speculation.

I'm sure it is annoying, but it's his fault :naughty:

Why was it important for you to have the mag and the poster then? I don't understand.

Why is this piece of news so outstanding?

I'd rather get a copy of L'Express Styles...if only I could. :tears:

maybe she just wants it because she's a fan?

I am gay!

It unfortunately becomes the defining "thing" before all others.

It is & will change but for now it is really stupid to say the least.

It is a tightrope that Mika is handling really, really well.

But more importantly Mika is not letting them inhibit his artistic expression & creating.

My friends & I congratulte him!

It is - again unfortunately- tricky!!

I remember when I thought you were female:roftl: I guess I've always liked your posts because they are articulate, clear and positive. So you're gay, huh? Can't see it really changing how I think of you. I'll still think you're articulate, clear and positive.

Humanity always likes to classify people and creatures anything and everything. I've always thought it made people feel safer if they can attribute a description to someone or something. I think it makes people feel safe and secure knowing they can label someone or something. I think that is why most people are so curious to know.

I adore Mika for many reasons. He is a good looking man mind you. . I don't know how anyone could not be attracted to him when in the same age group man or female. My appreciation for his music is first and foremost. The fact that he's purty is just a added bonus. The only way I or most of us will ever see him is in a fan-to awesome sauce Mika perspective anyway. The idea of being chatted up by him is inviting and that's why people like to know where they stand and if they have a chance. And that's my round about reasoning for why everyone makes such a fuss about it.

Well, now I guess I'll end my ramble now *shuffles off to finish my laundry*

So does that question annoy you in RL? Do you bug the other people back?

I remember when I thought you were female:roftl: I guess I've always liked your posts because they are articulate, clear and positive. So you're gay, huh? Can't see it really changing how I think of you. I'll still think you're articulate, clear and positive.

Kodes100 is a guy??????????':shocked:

Sorry, Kodes100, always thought you were a girl...:thumb_yello:

thank you, Droopsy! :flowers2:

Mika: "Call me bisexual" :mf_rosetinted:

So what's new? :blink::naughty:

:mf_rosetinted: I knew it from the very first day

I've been thinking he was attracted to both sexes for a long time (not necessarily the same way for both,like exactly bi, but still) , and so I took my thoughts about it as a truth (to me). So it doesn't surprise me much.

Edited by Romis

Sometimes depends on how pushy someone is. It's not just the root question either but the follow up questions. I confuse acquaintances around me because I don't date generally. I'm at a age where it is socially acceptable to be married or with a significant other. I suspect that is why I am asked frequently. I just know in my town it is not socially acceptable to be completely single and not actively dating.

I just feel like I shouldn't have to explain myself. it's different when it's someone trying to chat you up because they are asking with a purpose. However when it's someone just asking to be nosy I find that annoying.The questions he's been asked just remind me what I've been asked frequently for as long as I've been a adult. I realize the reporters are just doing what they do best. It just shouldn't matter. For he's going to be what he is.

I thought Kodes was a guy for a year and then everyone started referring to him as "she" so I thought I misunderstood :doh:

(Sorry Kodes don't mean to talk about you like you're not here :naughty:)

:naughty: and i remember seeing many times this :

:shocked: kodes is a guy?

:bye: kodes!