REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for MIKA at Little Noise Sessions in London 18-11-2009

Christine

Still laying in bed in hotel room so just a quick hi from my phone.

Gig was simply out of this world. Sadly no pics, I was front row and didn't want anyone behind me having my camera in there shots.

Kings Singers were the icing on the cake, Mika and their voices were perfect together and I was left speechless several times by the purity of the music.

So amazed we got By the Time, really wasn't expecting it but it's so beautiful live.

Froze half to death waiting for M&G (thanks to Lou for his coat!) and missed the last tube, then we got on the right bus going in the wrong direction! But it was worth it just to tell Mika how amazing it was and get a smile and a thank you in return. :)

Will try and write a fuller report when I'm home tonight.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a night !!

I'm really at a loss for the words to describe how absolutely brilliant and out of this world last night's gig was. If we never got to see MIKA ever again we could still live our lives happy in the knowledge that we have seen (in our humble opinion) his best live performance to date, though how he is ever going to top that is beyond us. A truly remarkable evening.

We had a feeling when this gig was announced that it might turn out to be something special but we had no idea HOW special.

The venue was beautiful, it holds 650 but at a guess there were only about 350 in there for the support acts and maybe 500 when MIKA hit the stage. We were seated in church style pews and the whole evening was so relaxed you could go and have a chat with friends or get a mug of tea / coffee / hot chocolate in between the acts without any fear of losing your place. It was more like a social gathering than a gig and all set in a wonderfully atmospheric setting.

The support acts were Daisy Dares You (a 16 year old whose first single is out in Feb) and Alex Gardner (only 18 but a very good voice, think we might hear a bit more about him in the coming years) Jo Whiley was hosting the evening and did so with great enthusiasm, her love and passion for music really shows through when she speaks, as anyone who has listened to her on the radio will testify. She spent much of the time between acts mingling and chatting to people and despite being very busy seemed more than happy to pose for photos with those who asked....lovely lady!!

Then we come to the reason we were there....MIKA

His voice was the best I've ever heard it, so crisp and pure it went right through you, Over my shoulder actually had me in tears it was so beautiful. MIKA said about the King Singers.... "It's not often that I'm nervous about appearing on stage with other singers but here are 6 people who can REALLY sing" He needn't have worried, their voices melted together like chocolate and caramel. They complimented each other perfectly. From the moment they started...... boom, boomba boom, boomba boom, boomba boom ba boomba as the intro to Grace Kelly we could tell we were in for a special night.

Kev managed to get a set list from the stage......

Setlist.jpg

Sadly we didn't get the bonus track but the rest of the set list certainly made up for it.

It proved to be an inspired set with every song feeling just right for the occasion. Our personal highlights were By The Time, Over My Shoulder and Rain. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but he actually did a one handed version of the MFC rain twinkly fingers movement thingy (as seen on Jools Holland) and smiled at the audience as he did it. A big WELL DONE to Jemmalee who originally came up with it, and a big thank you to MIKA himself for the feedback, it was a lovely moment among many lovely moments last night.

The meet and greet went well, there were only 40 people there (we counted) but we were worried that he might rush off as most those waiting were huddled very tightly around the stage door and it might have looked a little intimidating to him coming out but we need not have worried, people were very respectful and generally waited their turn, but more importantly they moved to one side once they had seen him and made room for others waiting. Our patience was rewarded, we managed to get our album promo signed (and he even put a little upside down heart shaped tear on his pic...

Album_Promo.jpg

Apologies if the 2 images posted are not showing...Boomspeed is playing up a little today but they will appear eventually

Kev recorded By The Time and the link is here...

The quality really doesn't do it justice, but thought you might still like to see it anyway.

That's about it for now, very tired but on a wonderful high. If I think of anything else to add I will do so later.

A VERY happy Jules

xx

Edited by Blue Eyes

Is this the grungy man from the m*ming blog? I thought we weren't gonna mention him again on MFC?

And he was there last night? And he loved it??:boxed:

No, this is the guy whose twitter account was apparently hacked -- he's not

the guy who accused Mika in his blog.

Thanks Jules and everyone for the early reports, and the videos and pics!

:wub2:

Hi All,

Quick report from the airport (spending the night here)...

He sang (without exact order):

Grace Kelly (with KS) - it was absolutely amazing and best arrangement ever.

Lady Jane (with KS) Mika didn`t hit first note right:teehee: but made up for it later. Never sang it so well, I guess..

Stuck In the Middle

Rain (with KS)

Billy Brown

By The Time (with KS)

Over My Shoulder (with KS)

Blue Eyes

Any Other World (with KS)

We Are Golden

Love Today

encore:

Toy Boy (with KS) :swoon: Great arrangement and Mika performed it immaculately again

Lollipop (end with KS)

I think the guys from the Kings` Singers were just as amazed as any first time Mika concert goer. They were enjoying it and kept looking at the audience in disbelief. I swear I saw one of them turn to the other one saying "it`s amazing". You can check it out from videos later, perhaps. I think it was after Grace Kelly and Chris said it ot Philip.

sorry, my time ran out, will be back later today I guess...

I agree, I loved more than any other time I have seen them every single song he sang with them and on his own, the sound at this gig was just outstanding, in fact during OMS I got a tad emotional and shed the odd tear, partly due to the beauty of the sound, partly at the purity of his voice, partly in awe of his talent.

TB was soo much fun I loved it, they all had fun with that one, Mika loved it we reacted to "Barbie Doll" line :biggrin2:

I also agree about the KSingers looking like the totally loved this gig, by looks on their faces they just looked so happy and astounded, they were totally awesome, I loved the whole thing. :wub2:

lozzington: Has the entire mika show last night on video. **** ups and all.

I hope she is coming on here to share the ****ups:aah:

endaguinan: @mikaSounds and @kingssingers were superb at Mencap Little Noise Session last night. Will get some clips up later.

clem22: @mikasounds How do u pack it all in! Last nite = stupendous. Tx a mil. Your voice = ethereal + exquisite in chapel. x :)

Edited by Blue Sky

lozzington: Has the entire mika show last night on video. **** ups and all.

I hope she is coming on here to share the ****ups:aah:

endaguinan: @mikaSounds and @kingssingers were superb at Mencap Little Noise Session last night. Will get some clips up later.

clem22: @mikasounds How do u pack it all in! Last nite = stupendous. Tx a mil. Your voice = ethereal + exquisite in chapel. x :)

I most certainly am! I'll be uploading tonight - education is being inconvenient.

He was on top form last night. I literally can't tell you how good he was. His voice was the best I've EVER heard it. It was amazing. Perfect venue, Any Other World was the massive highlight for me - it's my favourite song to hear live and he doesn't really do it now - I was gutted when he skipped it at Sadler's Wells so last night was just perfect.

It was mega nice meeting MFCers for the first time as well, and hopefully I'll be seeing loads of you again on the UK tour.

Mika signed my programme, and then I tried to shift back but then he was just coming towards me and about a minute later he took it out my hands to sign it and I said "You've already done it!" and he gave it back to me and I was like "But thanks though!". Then I realised that I could have sounded a little bit rude and I was mega embarrassed so I said to him "I didn't mean for that to sound rude by the way," and he said "No it didn't sound rude!" and he was smiling so it was all good and embarrassment was avoided. I didn't giggle when I spoke to him either which is a MASSIVE deal because it may mean that I've finally got some self control - depsite the fact he was wearing the black tie from the BBC breakfast thing he did with the loose collar. :mf_lustslow:

Over My Shoulder was ridiculously perfect. It actually filled the whole room with the sound and it may have been the most amazing auditory experience I will ever have. I don't know if you'll be able to appreciate it from the video, but just imagine being able to feel the sound surround you, and on top of that, his voice was incredibly pure. Pitch perfect, every single note. Amazing.

Also just saw this on twitter, from Paul****sheet:

@mikasounds That was a truly special gig at union chapel tonight Kings Singers great also. Thanks for taking time to say hello to young Dan

I KNEW IT'D BE HIM!!!:teehee:

There was a guy in the second row (press section) with his son and I remembered that I found a 2007 Mika gig review from Paul K. in which he mentions how much he enjoyed the gig with his son, Daniel.

HE WAS SINGING AND ENJOYING HIMSELF!!!

(P.S. I am absolutely sure he had nothing to do with that malicious tweet and last night he actually had the chance to clarify it with Mika in person...)