Next Single - 'Blame It On The Girls' - Out February 15th

mari62

ah, thanx for the info... really strange though, announing it as a single and then not really releasing it. :blink:

Not only is it very strange, but it also makes no sense to me :boxed:. Surely all the promo effort should be done in unison with the actual release? To use the momentum from the publicity to push sales and spread it out there?

I really don't get the logic behind these business decisions at all.

That's what I thought, too. I don't recall it having been released as a physical single before - I think that's what's happening on Feb 15.

Oh and I'm secretly hoping it comes with real paper dolls. :mf_rosetinted:

At least it's available already as an album track on iTunes. I find it SO annoying to hear a song on a TV performance or radio, then find out I can't buy it on iTunes for weeks and weeks. What's the point of that? To frustrate people so they pirate it instead? :dunno:

I'm hoping for the dolls too :wub2:, that would be SO cute!

As for your last point, I totally agree. If I hear and like something, I can't imagine bigger torture (well, within reason :naughty:) than to not be able to buy it there and then. One of the most frustrating experiences is when you've heard a track, you loved it, and you want to own it.

I really can't understand this at all. I wish they would think these promo efforts through before they carried them out willy nilly, because it all becomes a bit pointless: a waste of his time and energy :sneaky2:.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I hear and like something, I can't imagine bigger torture (well, within reason :naughty:) than to not be able to buy it there and then. One of the most frustrating experiences is when you've heard a track, you loved it, and you want to own it.

I really can't understand this at all. I wish they would think these promo efforts through before they carried them out willy nilly, because it all becomes a bit pointless: a waste of his time and energy :sneaky2:.

I totally agree.

There's a huge music industry conference happening at the end of the month called MIDEM, and I'm sure there will be talk about selling music in the digital age, piracy, etc. How I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear the decisions these music types are making, and what their opinions are. Would be very interesting to hear. :teehee:

I totally agree.

There's a huge music industry conference happening at the end of the month called MIDEM, and I'm sure there will be talk about selling music in the digital age, piracy, etc. How I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear the decisions these music types are making, and what their opinions are. Would be very interesting to hear. :teehee:

I don't think you need to be a fly on the wall, unless you're talking about the cocktail parties. :naughty: You just need to fly to Cannes. :aah: Or...they may put some of the panel discussions on YouTube as they did last year.

I think the bottom line is that the whole "single" concept is irrelevant now. No one is buying the physical product of a single, so really pushing a single is all about boosting album sales and just generally promoting the artist and their live shows. What tangible difference does it make if the physical product comes out this week, 3 weeks from now or never?

How many people do you think are really upset that they heard Blame it on the Girls on David Letterman or Ellen and couldn't buy the single? They either downloaded it from iTunes or they took the leap and bought The Boy Who Knew Too Much at HMV or Amazon.

I don't think you need to be a fly on the wall, unless you're talking about the cocktail parties. :naughty: You just need to fly to Cannes. :aah: Or...they may put some of the panel discussions on YouTube as they did last year.

I think the bottom line is that the whole "single" concept is irrelevant now. No one is buying the physical product of a single, so really pushing a single is all about boosting album sales and just generally promoting the artist and their live shows. What tangible difference does it make if the physical product comes out this week, 3 weeks from now or never?

How many people do you think are really upset that they heard Blame it on the Girls on David Letterman or Ellen and couldn't buy the single? They either downloaded it from iTunes or they took the leap and bought The Boy Who Knew Too Much at HMV or Amazon.

Yeah, the cocktail parties and other epic schmoozing that goes on. :teehee:

I wasn't referring to people being upset after hearing BIOTG and not being able to find a physical single; I meant that it's annoying when you hear a song and it's not yet available at all on iTunes - not even as an album track. If you're gonna promote a song ahead of the album release, fine, but at least release a digital single so that people can buy that, if they're inclined.

Country music is particularly terrible for that. You'll hear Brad Paisley or Kenny Chesney's new song everywhere six weeks before you can buy the thing on iTunes. By the time it is released, I'm over it and can't be bothered to buy it anymore. :dunno:

As for physical singles, are they more of a thing in the UK still? I haven't seen a physical single in shops here since probably 1998. :blink:

You do see physical singles in hte UK but I think it's more for fan/collectors than the general market. I got mika's last 2 easily enough but wouldn't dream of buying anyone else's- I either buy their albums or download the odd song I like. I read (in Pop Babylon?) that they never make money from a single here, except so far as they boost the album and artist.

we do still have physical singles in germany, at least the top10 and new releases can be found in the big cd shops - often much more than that. i love collecting them. :wub2: also the 7" singles, but you don't really get those in germany, that seems still more common in the uk.

what i'm wondering, does any of you know? if i download one song from the album on itunes or amazon, does that count for the chart position for this "single"? or do you have to buy the whole download-package that's called "single", including remixes etc. (like the "itunes single" which you get magic numbers for on MS), for it to count for the charts? :blink:

what i'm wondering, does any of you know? if i download one song from the album on itunes or amazon, does that count for the chart position for this "single"? or do you have to buy the whole download-package that's called "single", including remixes etc. (like the "itunes single" which you get magic numbers for on MS), for it to count for the charts? :blink:

When WAG was released Mika was telling people to buy different versions of the song in order for each purchase to count as a single. So you could buy the radio edit and the Calvin Harris remix and that would count as 2 sales of the WAG single, for instance.

Well if Mika is bothered enough about physical singles to do special artwork for them, then I can be bothered enough to buy them :naughty:

And yes, I know it is a marketing ploy.

Yes, I'm in, as well, but I have to order the singles from the UK. Why oh why they didn't have Rain on the Mikasounds shop I'll never know -- would have made things easier for me. I don't suppose this one will be there either. :blink:

Not sure what this has to do with this thread!:blink:

Didn't have anything to do with it, so I've deleted it! :thumb_yello:

When WAG was released Mika was telling people to buy different versions of the song in order for each purchase to count as a single. So you could buy the radio edit and the Calvin Harris remix and that would count as 2 sales of the WAG single, for instance.

ah thanx, i had forgotten about that. so let's hope mika knew what he was talking about. :naughty: might be easier to persuade some people to just buy one song for 0.97 euro on amazon, instead of buying a whole single for 10 euro. for example if they just want the acoustic rain version, but aren't interested in buying a physical cd - and if it even helps mika to get into the charts, that's fab. :thumb_yello:

Listen To 'Blame It On The Girls' - The Remixes

It's only a few weeks now till the release of Mika's next single, the technicolour romp 'Blame It On The Girls', and today we have a special present for you.

We've just uploaded five extra special remixes of the track to the music player on mikasounds.com

There are reworkings of 'Blame It On The Girls' from Wolfgang Gartner, Paul Woolford, Starsmith, Alalal and Anoraak.

So what are you waiting for?! Head over to the music player now and feast your ears on those brilliant beats!

'Blame It On The Girls' is released on February 15th, you watch the official video

http://www.mikasounds.com/blog/post/755/Listen_To_Blame_It_On_The_Girls_-_The_Remixes

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=79041575&blogID=525832335

It's only a few weeks now till the release of Mika's next single, the technicolour romp 'Blame It On The Girls', and today we have a special present for you.

We've just uploaded five extra special remixes of the track to the music player on mikasounds.com

There are reworkings of 'Blame It On The Girls' from Wolfgang Gartner, Paul Woolford, Starsmith, Alalal and Anoraak.

So what are you waiting for?! Head over to the music player now and feast your ears on those brilliant beats!

'Blame It On The Girls' is released on February 15th, you watch the official video

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=79041575&blogID=525832335

just saw that on mikasounds too.

wtf, alalal and anoraak?! LOL! :roftl: *goes to listen to those remixes*

http://www.mikasounds.com/blog/post/755/Listen_To_Blame_It_On_The_Girls_-_The_Remixes

Never been a fan of re-mixes of Mika's songs, but I may find one I like.

Out of all those, the Starsmith one is the only one remotely listenable, to me!

The others don't seem to fit the song at all!:blink:

IMHO, they should spend their energy in sorting out the mess that the tour has become. I personally don't much care for remixes :sneaky2:, I'd rather see a gig

Out of all those, the Starsmith one is the only one remotely listenable, to me!

The others don't seem to fit the song at all!:blink:

agree about that. i'm actually looking forward to hear the complete version of this one, and that means a lot when i'm talking about a remix! normally i HATE remixes.

IMHO, they should spend their energy in sorting out the mess that the tour has become. I personally don't much care for remixes :sneaky2:, I'd rather see a gig

i don't think the ones who are posting this on mikasounds are the same people who are responsible for the tour mess. :wink2:

Archived