CD review from The Washington Post

Lollipop Love

CD review of Mika's 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much'

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

PH2010010402953.jpg

Mika

THE BOY WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

Without a hit single in the United States it's hard to make a big splash in pop music. But no pop album in 2009 sounded better, start to finish, without a true hit single, than Mika's "The Boy Who Knew Too Much," the follow-up to his 2007 debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion." With a sound that brings to mind some wild amalgamation of Rufus Wainwright, Elton John and Electric Six, Mika managed to be both out there and entirely accessible at once. The nonstop hooks and joyous beats pulled you in and the smart wordplay kept your attention throughout.

Mika is also a bit of a style hog. He channels his inner Kate Bush on the dreamy "By the Time," visits campy torch territory with "Pick Up Off the Floor" and delivers his Broadway show tune best on "Toy Boy." Yes, it's all a bit over the top, but it's also magical. If Mika's music were simply pure pop pep, that would be enough. But each song tells a story, amuses, amazes and confidently makes its point.

"He's got looks that books take pages to tell/He's got a face to make you fall on your knees," the 26-year-old Londoner sings on "Blame It on the Girls," a bedazzling, boisterous track that somehow chastises ingrates and celebrates life all at once. The song is typical of Mika's fare: exuberant but also layered; candy-coated but also loaded with meaning. Few modern pop stars have achieved anything close.

-- Joe Heim

Recommended tracks

"We Are Golden," "Blue Eyes," "Blame It on the Girls"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/04/AR2010010402947.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He's got looks that books take pages to tell/He's got a face to make you fall on your knees," the 26-year-old Londoner sings on "Blame It on the Girls," a bedazzling, boisterous track that somehow chastises ingrates and celebrates life all at once. The song is typical of Mika's fare: exuberant but also layered; candy-coated but also loaded with meaning. Few modern pop stars have achieved anything close.

Wow, great review, and love the last sentence. Good one, thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

*rubs sleep from eyes* *blinks*

The Washington Post? :shocked: Are you SURE?

That's MY hometown paper.

*runs to look at yesterday's print edition*

YES! It's IN there! So often things are online, but not in the print

edition. I was so busy HERE yesterday that I missed reading the paper!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

I have to write to Joe Heim, the writer!

WOW!! That's a really good review.:shocked::biggrin2: In the Washington Post of all papers!!

I *KNOW*! :naughty:

I'm well-pleased! FINALLY!

MIKA! You can come back to DC now! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! :biggrin2:

Ooops, sorry. Fangurl moment. :fangurl:

That's a winter warmer of a review if ever I saw one! :biggrin2: t4p!

It's actually a few weeks (yes weeks) since I listened to the album but I just know when I put it on again I will still think, this is great. Because it IS! :naughty:

CD review of Mika's 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much'

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

PH2010010402953.jpg

Mika

THE BOY WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

Without a hit single in the United States it's hard to make a big splash in pop music. But no pop album in 2009 sounded better, start to finish, without a true hit single, than Mika's "The Boy Who Knew Too Much," the follow-up to his 2007 debut, "Life in Cartoon Motion." With a sound that brings to mind some wild amalgamation of Rufus Wainwright, Elton John and Electric Six, Mika managed to be both out there and entirely accessible at once. The nonstop hooks and joyous beats pulled you in and the smart wordplay kept your attention throughout.

Mika is also a bit of a style hog. He channels his inner Kate Bush on the dreamy "By the Time," visits campy torch territory with "Pick Up Off the Floor" and delivers his Broadway show tune best on "Toy Boy." Yes, it's all a bit over the top, but it's also magical. If Mika's music were simply pure pop pep, that would be enough. But each song tells a story, amuses, amazes and confidently makes its point.

-- Joe Heim

Recommended tracks

"We Are Golden," "Blue Eyes," "Blame It on the Girls"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/04/AR2010010402947.html

Thank you Lollipop Love!

Another superb review.

TBWKTM has received many many good reviews.

It still frustrates me & other MFCers here why it isn't selling in huge numbers.

I still can't figure it out.

One thing I am sure of though is that the lack of sales will not hurt Mika.

In the scheme of things I think that TBWKTM being well received by the "music business" is more important as this is Mika's sophomore album which can be tricky & a career buster.

Mika has succeeded in proving that his career has legs.

I look forward to seeing how Mika's international tour this year will affect sales because this album deserves to be a the top of the charts.:thumb_yello:

Bravo, Congrats & Kudos Mika!!

Archived