• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Robi, I'll add a few details to what I wrote earlier.

So he's been busy working on his album, in the States, Montreal and Stockholm. Some of the problems of living in a recording studio is that his hearing has been becoming worse and also that he's been living on take away food, and lots of coffee. He says coffee helps to sort of distance himself from the music, drinking it gives him time to think. And once he's finished his coffee he feels fine again.

The second part covers the history of coffee, starting with how hyperactive goats made an Ethiopean shepherd connect the coffee bushes they were eating from with their energy. During the centuries coffee spread up to the Middle East, and a sort of link between coffee and Islam was created. Coffee beans were then imported into Venice from Istanbul. The various attempts to ban the drink failed, and it spread throughout Europe.

In the last part he writes about the coffee culture in the States. In Venice Beach, LA, there's a coffee shop, Intelligentsia Café that always has a queue outside it, the wait for a coffee is 45 minutes. LA is the home of coffee shops. But even in Europe he says that every 3 blocks he finds a Starbucks - everywhere but Italy. In France people thought that it'd be difficult for Starbucks to compete with the coffee culture of the country, but everyone was proven wrong. He says Italy does well though to resist, and should be proud of this, but he says the new American obsession with fair trade and organic coffee makes him think. He says that the queue at Intelligentsia isn't just because the coffee's good, but also because it's bought directly from the people who produce it - small companies. Biological products are also good for the environment, and he says Italy would do well to learn from the queues at Venice Beach.

He ends by saying that considering that behind every coffee bean there's centuries of history and 25 million families in the world who depend on the drink, it pays to have a bit of patience.

Thank you for translating as usual! :flowers2:

I've heard of Intelligentsia...people say it's the best but I've never been (I don't like coffee), but I'll have to stop by some day. :fisch:

That sucks that he's losing his hearing, but I guess that's just the life of a musician. :huh:

I haven't got the article in front of me, so I'll sum up quickly what I can remember when I read it at lunch. Yes, it's about coffee. It starts off with his sort of ritual when it comes to drinking coffee, he says that when he's been recording the album - which is at a "good point" - he's been drinking a lot of coffee, in big paper cups. He then goes on to say about the history of coffee, when people first started drinking it, how it was introduced into Europe, and how various people wanted to ban it over the years. The last bit focuses on Italy, and the difference between the Starbucks coffee culture in the US and how it's drunk in Italy. Starbucks is in France, even though people thought it wouldn't succeed because of the differences in coffee culture, but there aren't any Starbucks stores in Italy.

The drawing, as Sarina mentioned, is by someone who writes for the Sole 24 Ore, a financial paper in Italy. I've already forgotten the bloke's name, but he's 56 years old, and also describes himself as a writer.

I don't have a scanner, but if someone posts a scan I'll write a longer summary, if not, I will do when I get home :original:

Thank you for the summary, Nezza! :biggrin2:

2005006.jpg

Thanks, Robi! :huglove:

So he's been busy working on his album, in the States, Montreal and Stockholm. Some of the problems of living in a recording studio is that his hearing has been becoming worse and also that he's been living on take away food, and lots of coffee. He says coffee helps to sort of distance himself from the music, drinking it gives him time to think. And once he's finished his coffee he feels fine again.

The second part covers the history of coffee, starting with how hyperactive goats made an Ethiopean shepherd connect the coffee bushes they were eating from with their energy. During the centuries coffee spread up to the Middle East, and a sort of link between coffee and Islam was created. Coffee beans were then imported into Venice from Istanbul. The various attempts to ban the drink failed, and it spread throughout Europe.

In the last part he writes about the coffee culture in the States. In Venice Beach, LA, there's a coffee shop, Intelligentsia Café that always has a queue outside it, the wait for a coffee is 45 minutes. LA is the home of coffee shops. But even in Europe he says that every 3 blocks he finds a Starbucks - everywhere but Italy. In France people thought that it'd be difficult for Starbucks to compete with the coffee culture of the country, but everyone was proven wrong. He says Italy does well though to resist, and should be proud of this, but he says the new American obsession with fair trade and organic coffee makes him think. He says that the queue at Intelligentsia isn't just because the coffee's good, but also because it's bought directly from the people who produce it - small companies. Biological products are also good for the environment, and he says Italy would do well to learn from the queues at Venice Beach.

He ends by saying that considering that behind every coffee bean there's centuries of history and 25 million families in the world who depend on the drink, it pays to have a bit of patience.

Erm... Thanks again! :wink2:

Thanks for the scan, robertina. :flowers2:

I had quite a few reasons to be honest. First I'm really short on time these days, so I would probably not have been able to come up with anything remotely satisfactory for this purpose anyway.

But more importantly, I was convinced that whatever I might have sent, it would not be considered, because what would make more sense for an Italian magazine in Italian language than choosing an Italian entry. :dunno: It seems only logical to me, so I'm really not surprised.

What surprises (and disappoints) me is neither the image itself (because I totally see Mika choosing that, he had blogged about artists committing themselves to that sort of image years ago), nor the fact that in the end it didn't have to fit the literal frame (because I know Mika adapts to what he's given when having to make a choice).

I'm really annoyed that this result is giving the impression of some sort of a mini pitch for professional illustrators rather than an opportunity for a talented fan to get the recognition they are hoping for. From their idol.

I know that the idea as such was not sold this way in the actual article. But the fact that the article including the request for illustrations was copied to his own mikasounds blog is a bit irritating. Because there he does not talk to the Italian Repubblica readers but to his international fan base. I'm glad I didn't send anything. But regardless, I would have loved to see something brilliant by a real fan rather than that. I'm sure he got lots of great stuff and also different images than the usual fan art genre as in pencil Mika faces (not implying that it's bad). But maybe I do them all wrong, the mag, Mika and Leonardo Cosmai, and maybe the latter is not only a pro, but also the biggest Mika fan ever, wishing for nothing more than this accolade by his idol. I doubt it, though.

You are so right...

Leonardo Cosmai, the winner

http://it-it.facebook.com/people/Leonardo-Cosmai/1391426325

not a beginner, let me say :mf_rosetinted:

Agree....

What surprises (and disappoints) me is neither the image itself (because I totally see Mika choosing that, he had blogged about artists committing themselves to that sort of image years ago), nor the fact that in the end it didn't have to fit the literal frame (because I know Mika adapts to what he's given when having to make a choice).

I'm really annoyed that this result is giving the impression of some sort of a mini pitch for professional illustrators rather than an opportunity for a talented fan to get the recognition they are hoping for. From their idol.

I know that the idea as such was not sold this way in the actual article. But the fact that the article including the request for illustrations was copied to his own mikasounds blog is a bit irritating. Because there he does not talk to the Italian Repubblica readers but to his international fan base. I'm glad I didn't send anything. But regardless, I would have loved to see something brilliant by a real fan rather than that. I'm sure he got lots of great stuff and also different images than the usual fan art genre as in pencil Mika faces (not implying that it's bad). But maybe I do them all wrong, the mag, Mika and Leonardo Cosmai, and maybe the latter is not only a pro, but also the biggest Mika fan ever, wishing for nothing more than this accolade by his idol. I doubt it, though.

Totally agree with you Violet....

EDIT: and thank you, Nezza, for the summary, of course! :doh:

I had quite a few reasons to be honest. First I'm really short on time these days, so I would probably not have been able to come up with anything remotely satisfactory for this purpose anyway.

But more importantly, I was convinced that whatever I might have sent, it would not be considered, because what would make more sense for an Italian magazine in Italian language than choosing an Italian entry. :dunno: It seems only logical to me, so I'm really not surprised.

Agree!

Funny...the professional artist has won... I looked forward to see something unusual from fans...

Thank you for scanning and translation, girls!:wub2:

Coffee coffee coffee...

Funny...the professional artist has won... I looked forward to see something unusual from fans...

Thank you for scanning and translation, girls!:wub2:

Coffee coffee coffee...

I'm so agree with you, girls! :boxed:

Opening the thread, I was ready to congratulate some of my friends with winning, but the winner is not one of us at all :sneaky2:

I see why Mika had chosen this picture, the style and so on... But I feel that Mika is so distant... don't know how to explain.

@violet_sky @willywonka @Lucrezia @Sarina @Dreamy_Queen

So I am not the only one who found the choice of the winning illustration rather odd…. :blink:

I am not creative at all when it comes to visual arts and I never even consider entering any of such competitions but I do feel slightly upset as I would have expected an amateur entry to be selected. Of course you cannot tell if one is a fan and this competition was more for readers of the magazine / anyone who cared to read Mika’s column, but choosing a professional media illustrator as the winner really disappoints me. The newspaper this guy works for is a financial paper and it is also a liberal daily, like LaRepubblica.

It pretty much seems to me that the choice of the winner (I mean the artwork itself as well as the artist) is supporting the high-brow image Mika’s columns are meant to display. That’s fine with me, too, and I’m sure it also pleases Mika but I still don’t understand why bother making it look like it was a competition. :dunno:

Edited by suzie

I'm so agree with you, girls! :boxed:

Opening the thread, I was ready to congratulate some of my friends with winning, but the winner is not one of us at all :sneaky2:

I see why Mika had chosen this picture, the style and so on... But I feel that Mika is so distant... don't know how to explain.

I have a feeling this column is not so personal as previous columns, but I want to read the original before saying much. I love the topic though. I guess we need to wait for the original for a while...

So I am not the only one who found the choice of the winning illustration rather odd…. :blink:

I am not creative at all when it comes to visual arts and I never even consider entering any of such competitions but I do feel slightly upset as I would have expected an amateur entry to be selected. Of course you cannot tell if one is a fan and this competition was more for readers of the magazine / anyone who cared to read Mika’s column, but choosing a professional media illustrator as the winner really disappoints me. The newspaper this guy works for is a financial paper and it is also a liberal daily, like LaRepubblica.

It pretty much seems to me that the choice of the winner (I mean the artwork itself as well as the artist) is supporting the high-brow image Mika’s columns are meant to display. That’s fine with me, too, and I’m sure it also pleases Mika but I still don’t understand why bother making it look like it was a competition. :dunno:

definitely you're not the only one here!

I have my modest opinion too: I feel like -once again- no Mika's fan won but just a random person who wanted to show his skills for some purpose on a popular magazine.

It's kinda obvious that the winner is a "pro" (and is he a real fan or someone who knows Mika and cares about his column/work?) and I feel a bit disappointed because seems like fans hadn't even the chance to try to win the "competiton" from the beginning. I sent my draw too even if I I knew I wouldn't have the chance to win because I really wanted to show my support, my interest on this column and on Mika's activities but now I don't even feel like the competition was created to make a fan happy and I feel like everyone's effort was useless :shocked:

Thankyou for posting the original and translation!

I am also disappointed that it wasn't from a fan, and to be honest, I don't see the meaning to this illustration... Anway.

Coffee? I think he's getting addicted :aah: (kidding) As I don't like coffee much, maybe he will change my opinion about it, and make it into something interesting that non-coffee fans will still like!

I really hope his hearing doesn't get destroyed. I'm hearing about artists these days that are having trouble with their hearing, and how it effects their (studio) music.

Let's just hope it's in a good way!

Couldn't have said it better :thumb_yello:

Oh, and forgot to thank for the scan and translations (I'm not reading them though :mf_rosetinted: it's nothing personal :aah: Rather read the original without having a picture of it) :wub2: Sorry, I live in a rush lately :blush-anim-cl:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw/read it. I might be totally wrong about this, but a big part of me believes that this was never a competition, that they already had the design.

Couldn't have said it better :thumb_yello:

Oh, and forgot to thank for the scan and translations (I'm not reading them though :mf_rosetinted: it's nothing personal :aah: Rather read the original without having a picture of it) :wub2: Sorry, I live in a rush lately :blush-anim-cl:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw/read it. I might be totally wrong about this, but a big part of me believes that this was never a competition, that they already had the design.

Well that just seems OVERLY mean. I doubt Mika's THAT cruel to his fans. He can be a bit mindless, :aah: but not mean.

You're certainly not alone. From any way I think about it, I feel bad. Did they have it, already? Did they choose it limited to Italian options? Did they get it from a pro? Did they want us to feel "included" without including us? :dunno:

Anyway, if you guys want to see what a real fan made, you can go to the brazilian thread. Trust me, it is worth. :wink2:

Well that just seems OVERLY mean. I doubt Mika's THAT cruel to his fans. He can be a bit mindless, :aah: but not mean.

Yeah, I dunno. That's why I said that that might be totally wrong. But that's the way it feels to me and I like being honest.

Anyways, this sounds to me a little like what happens with mikasounds.com, that's it's not actually HIM taking care of it. It's not that I think he's cruel, but that he was told to do that or soething like that :dunno:

I don't mean any offense, just need to say what this sounds to me like.

I don't think this article is written for Mika's general fanbase and it being posted on MS (occassionally!) doesn't really change anything IMO.

Sorry for everyone who is disappointed. :huh:

But I feel that Mika is so distant... don't know how to explain.

That's what I was trying to explain many weeks ago. I know you think I'm a bit harsh in my words, but perhaps you understand what I mean?

Thanks guys for posting the article and the translation. Nezza your version sounds as good as the actual article. :biggrin2:

This picture doesn't make me feel good when I look at it (makes me feel a bit anxious) but I think it's brilliant...and maybe it was just the picture Mika liked best? Sorry, it was open to everyone I guess....:wink2:

Edited by Melisanda

Part of me is as annoyed as many of you, but to the most part I'm indifferent. Not to the fact that fans were (once again) given false hope to, but mostly, because if I had thought about it then, I would have seen something like that coming.

When the opportunity to make an illustration for MIKA's June column was announced I wasn't particularly excited, because I was one of those, who submitted their design to the T-shirt competition. Remember that? :naughty: I spent a lot of time on my design and was really excited about entering the competition. I didn't hope to win. The thought of MIKA seeing my design, even if it was only a glance, would have been great. But the way the competition just faded away makes the time we all put in our works meaningless. I know there were more important things for MIKA to worry about at the time the competition closed, but everyone would have understood, if mikasounds had announced that due to unforeseen circumstances announcing the winner would be postponed or the competition cancelled altogether. No-one would have blamed him. But the way it was simply ignored is a bit bitter (to say nothing of the points that were not given and which could have opened the door to the secret gig to someone).

I don't know, whether the 'illustration competition' was MIKA's idea in the first place. Maybe it was the magazine that wanted to attract its readers :dunno:. If it was MIKA's idea, it had the same destiny as many other good ideas from him before - think of the plans he had for mikasounds.com: the page being interactive, games, competitions, blogs, you name it. The idea was good, but no-one to think it through in detail and carry it through.

Thank you, Nezza and Robertina, for the scan and translation! :original:

Thankyou ! :flowers2:

Leonardo Cosmai, the winner

http://it-it.facebook.com/people/Leonardo-Cosmai/1391426325

not a beginner, let me say :mf_rosetinted:

That's true :naughty:

I can't imagine what XL felt when getting international entries...

That's what I was trying to explain many weeks ago. I know you think I'm a bit harsh in my words, but perhaps you understand what I mean?

I think you were absoloutly correct :boxed: