2011 - MIKA Fronts Global Hugo Boss Fragrance Campaign

dcdeb

Wow! what a surprise to see the ad is real, Mika doesn't match HB, IMO

But my internal fan says: he looks so handsome! :wub2::aah::mf_rosetinted:

That's how the brand is positioned:

"HUGO Man fragrance is for men who want to live their life on their own terms. They are true originals, believing that rules are made to be challenged and personal potential should be explored to the max."

Sounds true of Mika.

I guess he might want to forget about appearing in pink or orange jackets for a while now though...:naughty:.. I mean, it's not that he has to but his stage persona does not fit the HB brand, IMO. That's why everyone questioned if the ad was for real.

I agree with you!! :thumb_yello:

I'm really happy for him but, maybe i'm wrong, i think that it's no more the Mika that i met 3 years ago...

I think he has no obligation to be the same person he was at all. I mean, are you now the same person you were back then? People change, its happens - and everybody has the right to do so. Otherwise, the world would be completely boring.

Aside that, whats so bad about doing an AD? Its just a job. He gets the money and the promotion, and HB gets his beautiful face to be shown all around the world. Its Win-win for me =D

Hello MFC world, btw (:

Ok there must be a line that divides evolving from changing who you are (how you define yourself).

He seems to be proud of being unfashionable and tacky and then he comes around with this type of ads...?

The confusing part of the ad for me is the slogan "true originals, believing that rules are made to be challenged" and he appears in a suit and tie? yeah that's original! and defo breaking the rules :rolls_eyes:

but then again, mika has no comitment to be the same as when he started his career, if anything he has told he likes contradiction.

All these makes the ad so confusing for me :hypo:

contradiction must have a healthy limit imo

Edited by atreyu

I've just been reading people's comments about Mika doing this ad and what he says etc...

I have to say, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he did this ad. Yeah, he looks hot (and I do like men in suits! :das:), but I don't feel that he has to justify what he does to us. Besides I generally don't take whatever he says as gospel because most of the time he lies (and he's even admitted that he's lied, epsecially in interviews).

That is exactly how I feel about this. I don't care that he's doing these campaigns and running around from party to party and to celeb haunts in town or travelling living the high life; That's his decision and he can do wahtever he likes. But I do mind him saying something that conflicts with the realit y that we see, like that he's in hiding working on the new songs, etc...

It really doesn't bother me that he doesn't tweet or blog, but it bothers me A LOT that he then goes on twitter to 'excuse' himself for his silence, justifying it with him supposedly burying himself in his work. That is clearly not the case; He's been going to parties and to the flashiest clubs in town, he is not locked away in some studio working away all hours :aah: so why does he have to say that??

As I said before, I don't care that he's silent, but I do care that he lies about it, because again this is like the Xmas blog. He's showing that he doesn't give a toss. IMO of course :biggrin2:

Working hard does not mean you are not allowed to go out in the evening :dunno:

He is not in jail neither in a covent..

And if you have pics of him partying in one of the flashiest clubs in town those last days, I'm interested :wink2:

I perfectly understand what you mean, Chris, but maybe I see things from another point of view.

When he says he doesn't like fashion/labels, I think he means that he can't appreciate that squared thing, when everybody looks exactly the same and, even worse, expects everyone to look the same. I think he wants to tell us what we can see: he knows how to valorize good products, but loves to use them according to his taste and personality - and he's definitely successful IMO.

+1 :thumb_yello:

I understood the same things than you about fashion & labels.. I guess he meant he doesn't like the diktats of fashion and not the fashion itself

The confusing part of the ad for me is the slogan "true originals, believing that rules are made to be challenged" and he appears in a suit and tie? yeah that's original! and defo breaking the rules :rolls_eyes:

Agree also.

Even if the pic is quite nice IMO, his outfit and his pose do not symbolize exactly originality and creativity as written in the text of the ad :teehee:

But apart of this small detail, I like it :thumb_yello:

+1 :thumb_yello:

I understood the same things than you about fashion & labels.. I guess he meant he doesn't like the diktats of fashion and not the fashion itself

Agree also.

Even if the pic is quite nice IMO, his outfit and his pose do not symbolize exactly originality and creativity as written in the text of the ad :teehee:

But apart of this small detail, I like it :thumb_yello:

there's no doubt he looks incredible handsome and masculine :blush-anim-cl:

But this is one way to promote his music to bigger audience. Hugo Boss is a huge brand and the ad is very stylish, it's great promotion especially for US markets.

It's a way to make people interested in his music and start listening to it?

I tend to agree with you -- this is frequently how things work here. While

people SAY you can't judge a book by its cover, the fact of the matter

is that people DO just that. I think a lot of people will see an ad like this,

wonder who Mika is (knowing that Hugo Boss often uses celebs rather

than models to sell product) and they'll look him up and have a listen to

what he's done. From that standpoint, I think it's a great move. :thumb_yello:

I like it. Like the pic (even with a bit too much editing there), like the ad, like the slogan... HB is known to have very good campaigns, with HUGE stars, I don't see this as a bad thing for Mika, at all!

Of course it's not what I like the most, and I certainly prefer to see him on stage, and making vlogs about the new album, etc., but I like this. :thumb_yello:

Now boy...back to the studio, please! We're dying to hear your new stuff! :aah:

Absolutely! I totally agree with you!

"I've been losing myself...the hiding is working" - except when I'm not doing corporate gigs, endorsements deals and being seen around town at premieres.

Mika can do whatever he wants but if he tells me one thing and does something else...:dunno:

I take your point, but I would imagine that photography for this ad was

done some time ago -- I'm sure it's been in production a while, and it

probably only took a day or so to shoot. He could very well have been "in

hiding" for a while after that and up until now. Even the Magic Numbers

gig and the corporate gig only took one day of his time... aside from

that and a few odd sightings here and there, we really haven't seen

much of him lately. :dunno:

I think I am going off Mika.

I wish I had a dollar for every time you've said that, bab! :naughty:

Ok there must be a line that divides evolving from changing who you are (how you define yourself).

He seems to be proud of being unfashionable and tacky and then he comes around with this type of ads...?

but then again, mika has no comitment to be the same as when he started his career, if anything he has told he likes contradiction.

All these makes the ad so confusing for me :hypo:

contradiction must have a healthy limit imo

To me, the message fits with the image I have in my head about Mika. He IS using his creativity to become successful. He himself said that his success has little to do with his talent and more to do with work. The end result is success.

So how do you present the idea of success to masses? By showing him in a suit worn by successful people.

That's the only way to make people get the idea. And the way it works for most people is that when they hear of a successful story, they want to see what is behind it, so they'll look him up or at least not reject him right away just because he is wearing an orange jacket on stage. The 'truely original' clothes he is wearing on stage are part of his stage persona that helped him get to where he is now. That does not mean, however, that he is walking down the street dressed like that.

I tend to agree with you -- this is frequently how things work here. While people SAY you can't judge a book by its cover, the fact of the matter is that people DO just that. I think a lot of people will see an ad like this, wonder who Mika is (knowing that Hugo Boss often uses celebs rather than models to sell product) and they'll look him up and have a listen to what he's done. From that standpoint, I think it's a great move. :thumb_yello:

Yes, this is my view on it as well.

I don't think it is the first time he did something only to help his career take off. He is in the music business and he needs to be creative in the way he gets his music heard.

Besides, I don't think he needed to sacrifice any part of his personality to pose for this. :dunno:

In fact, I can imagine his relatives proudly showing the ad around their friends :teehee:

Edited by suzie

Absolutely! I totally agree with you!

I take your point, but I would imagine that photography for this ad was

done some time ago -- I'm sure it's been in production a while, and it

probably only took a day or so to shoot. He could very well have been "in

hiding" for a while after that and up until now. Even the Magic Numbers

gig and the corporate gig only took one day of his time... aside from

that and a few odd sightings here and there, we really haven't seen

much of him lately. :dunno:

I wish I had a dollar for every time you've said that, bab! :naughty:

I agree on the point about him, being out and about.

We only know of a couple of occasions of him being out at functions, we don't know if for the rest of the time he had locked himself away getting songs written.

The secret gig and the private one that night I would think count as work, so he was hardly flitting around doing those.

" Here is the ad, so keep your eyes peeled for it and let us know when you see them and where. "

How to make this, if myspace works disgustingly and does not allow to write nothing?Where to write?

If I saw that pic and had never heard a thing about Mika I'd think of the face as belonging to just another featureless prick who happens to be somewhat handsome. I wouldn't google for his name or want to find out what additional talents he might have besides facing a camera with that rather blank look.

Same here. I just would have assumed he was another random male model, or at most a soap opera star or something. :roftl: I certainly wouldn't expect to find a stupidly talented popstar behind that ad. :dunno:

But who knows, maybe people who recognize his name but had forgotten about him since Grace Kelly may see this ad and go "wait, that's Mika? That dorky kid with the fluffy hair and the weird red outfit in that song about being like Grace Kelly? He got HOT! :shocked:"

:teehee:

I agree with you, missy, even the slogan has to do with him. Of course I'd love to know that he's hiding 'cause he's working in his music, but he also said he's working on different projects. And I really can't believe he'd lose himself with stupid things, leaving music behind. Actually, I can't see him working with something that's not related to music, and he always says that what he wants most is to continue doing what he's doing. So, I'm definitely not "worried". :wink2:

I agree with you on all points.

Having said that what bothers me about this is that Mika tries to paint a different picture of himself to his fans/in interviews. "I don't like fashion/labels" - except that I wear bespoke Louboutins almost exclusively, host parties with Lanvin, endorse designer fragrances.

"I've been losing myself...the hiding is working" - except when I'm not doing corporate gigs, endorsements deals and being seen around town at premieres.

Mika can do whatever he wants but if he tells me one thing and does something else...:dunno:

I think it all comes down to learning to speak Mika-ese. :insane:

For example, over the past four years I have learned that in Mika-ese, "acoustic gig" means "with loads of drums and amplification, just without backing tracks." And apparently "hiding away working on my third album" means "working on my third album... in between parties, premieres, and making some side cash with corporate gigs and big name ad campaigns." :roftl::teehee:

thats great news, thanks for posting Deb!! Very glad to read that this ad is official:biggrin2:

I had a feeling that it would be legit but there were many different opinions posted so I didnt really know what to believe.

That's how the brand is positioned:

"HUGO Man fragrance is for men who want to live their life on their own terms. They are true originals, believing that rules are made to be challenged and personal potential should be explored to the max."

Sounds true of Mika.

Sounds true Mika to me too. Since that is what the brand is about, then they've definitely chosen the right person for their ads and he's doing the right thing by participating in them. Besides this will be great promo for him, especially for countries like the US.

About the fears of him "changing in a negative way", I think that selling your soul and losing yourself would mean something more like using autotune or letting the record company tell you how to write your songs or trying to be part of the tabloid culture etc. Being in an ad campaign that has class and style has nothing to do with that and is definitely a positive thing, in my opinion.

Whatever else I think about it, I would like to see it on a huge bill board.

Oh yeah, like that billboard of the Paul Smith ad that appeared in Tokyo in 2007:biggrin2:

To me, the message fits with the image I have in my head about Mika. He IS using his creativity to become successful. He himself said that his success has little to do with his talent and more to do with work. The end result is success.

So how do you present the idea of success to masses? By showing him in a suit worn by successful people.

That's the only way to make people get the idea. And the way it works for most people is that when they hear of a successful story, they want to see what is behind it, so they'll look him up or at least not reject him right away just because he is wearing an orange jacket on stage. The 'truely original' clothes he is wearing on stage are part of his stage persona that helped him get to where he is now. That does not mean, however, that he is walking down the street dressed like that.

Yes, this is my view on it as well.

I don't think it is the first time he did something only to help his career take off. He is in the music business and he needs to be creative in the way he gets his music heard.

Besides, I don't think he needed to sacrifice any part of his personality to pose for this. :dunno:

In fact, I can imagine his relatives proudly showing the ad around their friends :teehee:

Totally agree with you Suzie:thumb_yello:

I must admit I think it's a poor move so far as promoting his music is concerned. It's a silly prejudice that models are dumb- especially male ones. But I imagine that many people will pick up the impression his involvement with his songs is roughly equal to the influence the model has on an ad campaing. Ie, that he's a corporately designed money spinner rather than the creative artist I admire (and who deserves global recognition as such), despite the wording of the ad.

I must admit I think it's a poor move so far as promoting his music is concerned. It's a silly prejudice that models are dumb- especially male ones. But I imagine that many people will pick up the impression his involvement with his songs is roughly equal to the influence the model has on an ad campaing. Ie, that he's a corporately designed money spinner rather than the creative artist I admire (and who deserves global recognition as such), despite the wording of the ad.

Ryan Reynolds, the actor, has been doing the campaign in the States, he's the guy we see in the tv ads here, and his last film, Burial, was critically acclaimed. Same with Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who was in The Tudors. Hugo Boss are quite canny with who they use for their campaigns, so I think Mika is quite safe in that respect.

Edited by RAK1

i'm hoping the campaign will be seen in my little country too:wub2:

and in my too...!!!!:mf_rosetinted:

This is Amazing news...!!!!! :boing:

in yearbook I expressed the idea of setting up his own perfume, it is hoped that such would also be expected ...!!!

Ryan Reynolds, the actor, has been doing the campaign in the States, he's the guy we see in the tv ads here, and his last film, Burial, was critically acclaimed. Same with Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who was in The Tudors. Hugo Boss are quite canny with who they use for their campaigns, so I think Mika is quite safe in that respect.

But actors aren't creative artists like songwriters are- let alone people who write their songs, design their album covers and come up with their own stage set concepts (not toally alone, obviously, but I believe MIka is the driving force). NOt that I'm knocking performance art, but someone else writes actors lines and tells them where to stand. Like Mika will have been directed by Hugo Boss.

Kudos to HB for picking someone genuinely creative- but will their image be boosted by association with Mika, or will his be dented by association with HB?

And I'm afraid I thought he looked a lot hotter in all his music vids and TC shows than he does here. Sorry. I think he looks rather plasitic here.

Mind, JRM is much more famous than Mika, in the UK, so it's certainly a coup for him, in its way :thumb_yello:

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I have just spent an extrodinary amount of time flicking through every page of Vouge in my local supermarket and I think that every fragrance ever created was advertised apart from this one :shocked:

Mika is fronting a global advertising campaign for Hugo Boss fragrances.

The photos of Mika looking nothing less than picturesque will appear in various countries across the world from now until the summer.

Here is the ad:

MikaHugoBoss500.jpg

Wow I can't believe it's real!!! Fantastic!!!

Me too ! :biggrin2:

"Creativity drives Success" along with a picture of Mika. Pure genius. My hat is off to which ever agency got Mika together with Hugo Boss and what ever agency/creatives designed it. /deep curtsey

Amen.

Same here. I just would have assumed he was another random male model, or at most a soap opera star or something. I certainly wouldn't expect to find a stupidly talented popstar behind that ad. :dunno:

But who knows, maybe people who recognize his name but had forgotten about him since Grace Kelly may see this ad and go "wait, that's Mika? That dorky kid with the fluffy hair and the weird red outfit in that song about being like Grace Kelly? He got HOT! :shocked:"

:teehee:

I think it all comes down to learning to speak Mika-ese. :insane:

For example, over the past four years I have learned that in Mika-ese, "acoustic gig" means "with loads of drums and amplification, just without backing tracks." And apparently "hiding away working on my third album" means "working on my third album... in between parties, premieres, and making some side cash with corporate gigs and big name ad campaigns." :roftl::teehee:

You have grasped the language excellently :teehee:

ok, that red outfit was pretty weird but GOT hot , As in अब जा कर ?!

Translation for "अब जा कर ?" -

Um.... ha ha can't really think of any English phrase hmm.. I think a person would probably go " he wasn't hot before or wait now he is wait..what ?! :boxed: