Not everything needs a thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A question for the British MFCers:

Does somebody know when the House of Lords will decide about the same-sex-marriage-law? I couldn't find anything, all articles I've read are only saying that the House of Commons has approved the law and that the House of Lords has to approve it now, but nowhere it says when this will take place.

A question for the British MFCers:

Does somebody know when the House of Lords will decide about the same-sex-marriage-law? I couldn't find anything, all articles I've read are only saying that the House of Commons has approved the law and that the House of Lords has to approve it now, but nowhere it says when this will take place.

Nowhere near this stage yet - first it has to go to a committee to be examined line by line. Then it has a third reading in the House of Commons.

The House of Lords get the Bill after that (and they also do two readings, a committee stage and a third reading).

Edited by silver

What is the function of these readings? Are they only looking if formalities are right and if little changes are needed or could it be that big changes will take place or even that the draft law gets overturned? Basically: Does the decision of the House of Commons yesterday mean that the law will pass or could someone still "stop" it realistically?

Usually I love all kind of animals, but this one little frightened rabbit deserves to be eaten :sneaky2:http://www.avclub.com/articles/frightened-rabbit-scott-hutchison-on-mika-inhuman,91988/

It was a very interesting article... I totally disagree with the guy and I think he misses the point and context of the song, but still... people are entitled to their opinions.

That is a great article because people are actually having an intelligent and thoughtful discussion on Mika and his music.

I like it, too, because he really explains his opinion. It's not just hating and bashing.

And if you don't like songs that feel over-optimistic, it's understandable that you won't like LT :naughty:

BUT I've asked myself all the time while reading: Has this guy listened to the lyrics aside from the chorus at all???? I have the feeling that he doesn't get what this song is about if describes the song as childish.

I think it's not very nice from them to say that everybody who bought LICM are children. He really don't understand Mika's music. He said that LT is over-optimistic, but I think the point here is that the writer of this review is over-realistic...

Sorry I'm messy in my explanations, but I have trouble to explain my point in english. :aah:

BUT I've asked myself all the time while reading: Has this guy listened to the lyrics aside from the chorus at all???? I have the feeling that he doesn't get what this song is about if describes the song as childish.

Yes he clearly doesn't understand the song. :naughty: But I think the people who are commenting on the article are having a good discussion.

Yes he clearly doesn't understand the song. :naughty: But I think the people who are commenting on the article are having a good discussion.

Oh this interview set me off on a little rant :aah: it's all fine for him to hate the song (even though it's obvious he didn't listen properly to it) but to then make such stupid sweeping assumptions about the entire album!! Wtf?!:sneaky2:

Anyways I left a comment, felt a bit better then read the other comments and it was indeed a surprisingly mature conversation :thumb_yello: in this case the comments are def better than the article :aah:

Anyways I left a comment, felt a bit better then read the other comments and it was indeed a surprisingly mature conversation :thumb_yello: in this case the comments are def better than the article :aah:

I really think people underestimate how much overblown praise puts people off. First of all people on the internet like to argue. :naughty: Words are the primary way of expressing yourself and if you don't have different thoughts than the person who wrote what is being commented on there is not much to say. Secondly most critically thinking people just don't believe that so-and-so is a genius, they are perfect, amazing, better than everyone else, etc. It just doesn't ring true and it's either going to prompt criticism (even if it's someone they genuinely like) or there's just not going to be much of a discussion at all.

I am on another message board and they are all ragging on Beyonce. I am not a huge Beyonce fan by any means but it's like come on if you don't think Beyonce is a great entertainer then who is? This woman can sing (even with the lip synching fiasco it was still her unadulterated voice), she can dance like a serious professional (she leads her dancers rather than vice versa), her songs are catchy, etc. etc. What's the alternative? Was Michael Jackson a better entertainer? Yes, but he's dead. Is Adele a better singer? Yes but she doesn't do anything else on stage. Are her peers like Rihanna, Katy Perry, etc better? I really don't think so. Certainly not so much better than her that it justifies everyone heaping criticism on her. But Beyonce is a big deal, being invited to presidential inaugurations and Superbowls and people want to knock her down a peg or two.

This is what I find with Mika too. There are those that will punish him for being touted as the second coming of Freddie Mercury but there are still people who can judge his music for what it is and have a reasonable discussion about it without being a "fan". After all there are 6 million people who own LICM.

That is a great article because people are actually having an intelligent and thoughtful discussion on Mika and his music.

I thought the same. It was quite refreshing to read mature comments TBH.

But Beyonce is a big deal, being invited to presidential inaugurations and Superbowls and people want to knock her down a peg or two.

Sounds like tall poppy syndrome to me :blink:.

• 2 weeks later...

http://dotsonthei.blogspot.com.es/2013/02/will-smith-takes-spanish-tv-show-el.html

Will Smith takes Spanish TV show 'El Hormiguero' to U.S.

Since Will Smith was the last time in Spain in the Spanish TV show "El Hormiguero" (The Anthill), he has many ideas that he has brought to the United States. Now he wants to realize the project being in contact with the U.S. television networks.

Will Smith feels in Spain like at his own home. Thus he implies every time he that comes back to Spanish TV show "El Hormiguero" and he finds with the show's host and his good friend Pablo Motos. Are three times the actor has attended this show.

The last time that Will Smith was on the show, was with his family and with actor Jackie Chan to present the remake of "Karate Kid" in which Will Smith's son is the main protagonist and Jackie Chan, his teacher.

Will Smith, as explanations of those responsible for the program "El Hormiguero", he was "fascinated" by the space intended for the whole family and he thought it would fit in the American television schedule. So along with the typical American late night shows, it could be issued the American version of Pablo Motos program so successful is having on other countries in the world have also sold the program format. A different way to see a television program in family and also learn new things and have fun.

"When he first came, he was interested because he liked very much and asked if this was done in the United States". the director of the program said, which it was premiered in 2006. Given the negative response of its creators, the actor was surprised that this format is not done in his country. The program director also commented that "when he came for the second time, we talked, we got in touch with his production in the U.S. and signed a deal with him".

Some U.S. networks like CBS or NBC have been interested in the format and have shown interest: "The program has taught at major American television and we know that they liked it". In any case "is a slow process" and has the disadvantage that the U.S. public is too used to seeing "the same type of 'late night' and they are somewhat reluctant to innovative television programs".

For people who have not ever seen this TV show, we say that "El hormiguero" is a TV talk show premiered in Spain on September 24, 2006. All contents revolve around humor, interviews and popular science experiments. Is presented and directed by Pablo Motos, working with puppets that are lilac ants named Trancas, Barrancas and Petancas. Also has the support of a number of collaborators performing different program spaces.

Mel Gibson, Hugh Jackman, Adam Sandler, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas and Charlize Theron are among the Hollywood stars who have stepped on the set of the program to be interviewed by Pablo Motos. "95% of the guests falls in love with the format and they want to return". The other 5%, as in the case of Charlize Theron, Justin Timberlake or Jesse Eisenberg don't understood nothing of what was happening in the program and even went on to say that Charlize treated her like a fool. It's very normal when a person's intelligence is not put to work when production of the program will explain what the show, which is for all ages and very familiar.

Maybe this TV program is quite interesting exception to the American public and serve to open the way to new ideas.

The other 5%, as in the case of Charlize Theron, Justin Timberlake or Jesse Eisenberg don't understood nothing of what was happening in the program and even went on to say that Charlize treated her like a fool. It's very normal when a person's intelligence is not put to work when production of the program will explain what the show, which is for all ages and very familiar.

Maybe this TV program is quite interesting exception to the American public and serve to open the way to new ideas.

They probably didn't know what was going on because of the language. Lord knows I have no idea what is happening on this show. :aah:

The thing with American talk shows is they are either on during the day where they have a limited audience (usually aimed at stay at home moms) or they are on very late at night so they are not for all ages, but adults. It will be interesting to see what they do with it because talk shows have never succeeded in prime time here and I think with the puppets and science experiments it would end up being a kid's show.

They probably didn't know what was going on because of the language. Lord knows I have no idea what is happening on this show. :aah:

The thing with American talk shows is they are either on during the day where they have a limited audience (usually aimed at stay at home moms) or they are on very late at night so they are not for all ages, but adults. It will be interesting to see what they do with it because talk shows have never succeeded in prime time here and I think with the puppets and science experiments it would end up being a kid's show.

People love Will Smith here, and he's certainly got the clout in the entertainment business to do whatever he wants, so he may well be able to launch this here... I'm just not sure what sort of success it will have.

I can imagine this show on Nickelodeon -- maybe late in the afternoon, for the after-school crowd, aimed at pre-teens, or very young teens. But I don't see it doing well as an all-ages, mainstream show during prime time in the US.

:dunno:

Here's what Charlize said about it. Sounds like she was just confused. :naughty:

Thanks! It seems so, and no wonder she was... :naughty:

I didn't even know she had been in the show. Other than occasional snippets while channel hopping, I've actually only seen the entire show three times.